Free Throw Rule

The Buzz on Class B.
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Free Throw Rule

Postby Bison-Vikes #1 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:44 pm

NBA G League is trying new free throw rule to shave time from games. Free throw shooter only gets 1 free throw, but points awarded for that 1 free throw are 1, 2 or 3 depending on the foul. It will not be used during last 2 minutes of the 4th quarter or overtime. Thoughts?
Bison-Vikes #1
NDPreps All-State

Re: Free Throw Rule

Postby Flip » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:35 pm

To the best of my knowledge this was an idea by Haralabos Voulgaris a few years ago. I like it.

Haralabos Voulgaris, was a very good follow on Twitter with great NBA insight before he started working for the Mavs.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby hoophoophoop » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:34 am

dumb
hoophoophoop
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby packers21 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:12 am

Doesn't need to be used at the College or HS level as those games don't take nearly as long as NBA games especially the last few minutes.
I would normally be in favor of anything speeding up the ending of those games but I want to see someone go to the line and knock down clutch throws.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Bison-Vikes #1 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:17 pm

hoophoophoop wrote:dumb

Excellent input and analysis.

packers21 wrote:Doesn't need to be used at the College or HS level as those games don't take nearly as long

Tend to agree with this as well.

My problem with the entire thing is similar to the running clock in the NFL. Only when a player runs out of bounce inside last 2 minutes of first half and last 5 minutes of second half does the clock stop. This was done to speed up game but IMHO only to squeeze in another 3 or 4 commercial breaks throughout game. Has nothing to do with fans, quality of game, etc. and everything to do with squeezing more revenue out of advertisers.
Bison-Vikes #1
NDPreps All-State

Postby Flip » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:23 pm

packers21 wrote:Doesn't need to be used at the College or HS level as those games don't take nearly as long as NBA games especially the last few minutes.
I would normally be in favor of anything speeding up the ending of those games but I want to see someone go to the line and knock down clutch throws.

but with even with the rule you still shoot "normal" FTs late in the game.

Unless I'm heavily invested in a game I catch myself turning the channel anytime FTs are shot. Maybe its just ADD. So if there is less time shooting FTs I'm for it. I don't see how this would change the game. Your expected points would be greater during a 1 on 1 situation.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Sniper » Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:09 am

I would not like to see this used in high school games. The games usually take an hour and a half to complete so I do not see a need to speed them up. I am guessing the G-League does not have great attendance or tons of viewers so speeding the game up makes sense. At the NBA level this rule would greatly help the players who do not shoot well from the free throw line since they would be getting one free point, which would make it harder for teams to do the "hack-a-Shaq". I do not like the idea of bailing out bad free throw shooters by giving them one point for one they have not attempted.
Sniper
NDPreps All-State

Postby Sportsrube » Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:08 am

We do not need this at the JH/HS level. The games usually don't take all that long (unless it's a hack fest) so it would be a solution in search of a problem in my opinion. I also don't like the idea of having one set of rules for most of the game and then a separate set of rules for the end of the game. Officials have enough to do without worrying about implementing a different set of rules at the end of games.
I would be in favor of Class B going to halves instead of quarters though.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Flip » Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:31 pm

Sniper wrote:I would not like to see this used in high school games. The games usually take an hour and a half to complete so I do not see a need to speed them up. I am guessing the G-League does not have great attendance or tons of viewers so speeding the game up makes sense. At the NBA level this rule would greatly help the players who do not shoot well from the free throw line since they would be getting one free point, which would make it harder for teams to do the "hack-a-Shaq". I do not like the idea of bailing out bad free throw shooters by giving them one point for one they have not attempted.

Either you don't understand or I don't understand the rule. Pretty sure it's you.
Where does this free point come from?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:45 pm

Flip wrote:
Sniper wrote:I would not like to see this used in high school games. The games usually take an hour and a half to complete so I do not see a need to speed them up. I am guessing the G-League does not have great attendance or tons of viewers so speeding the game up makes sense. At the NBA level this rule would greatly help the players who do not shoot well from the free throw line since they would be getting one free point, which would make it harder for teams to do the "hack-a-Shaq". I do not like the idea of bailing out bad free throw shooters by giving them one point for one they have not attempted.

Either you don't understand or I don't understand the rule. Pretty sure it's you.

Bison-Vikes #1 wrote:NBA G League is trying new free throw rule to shave time from games. Free throw shooter only gets 1 free throw, but points awarded for that 1 free throw are 1, 2 or 3 depending on the foul. It will not be used during last 2 minutes of the 4th quarter or overtime. Thoughts?

I think this is where it’s coming from (original post)...get 1, make 1...get 2 or 3 out of it (potentially); but miss your one attempt then get none and play on
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Bison-Vikes #1 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:05 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
Flip wrote:

Bison-Vikes #1 wrote:NBA G League is trying new free throw rule to shave time from games. Free throw shooter only gets 1 free throw, but points awarded for that 1 free throw are 1, 2 or 3 depending on the foul. It will not be used during last 2 minutes of the 4th quarter or overtime. Thoughts?

I think this is where it’s coming from (original post)...get 1, make 1...get 2 or 3 out of it (potentially); but miss your one attempt then get none and play on

As I understand the proposed rule, you only shoot 1 free throw if fouled. If for instance a player was fouled on a 3-point attempt, that 1 free throw would then be worth 3 points if made. If you were fouled on a 2 point attempt and missed the basket, that 1 free throw would be worth 2 points if made, and so on. Eliminates extra free throw attempts, but still get a chance at the same amount of points if you make the free throw attempt.
Bison-Vikes #1
NDPreps All-State

Postby Sniper » Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:12 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
Flip wrote:

Yes, I misread the original post. I was thinking the player fouled was awarded 1 or 2 points based on if the foul occurred on a 3 or 2 point attempt, then shot a single free throw worth 1 point.. Similar to what teams occasionally do in team camps to speed up the games.
Sniper
NDPreps All-State

Postby Class B » Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:41 am

Do HS games really need to be sped up?
Class B
NDPreps Starter

Postby Bison-Vikes #1 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:22 pm

Class B wrote:Do HS games really need to be sped up?

The answer is no. This website gets slow at times and thought it was an interesting idea and wanted to hear other's thoughts. Was not suggesting for high school to use it.
Bison-Vikes #1
NDPreps All-State

Postby The Schwab » Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:34 pm

Honestly, I see some merit with this. I know that I don't like the "hack a shaq" that is implemented in the NBA. To me that is an intentional foul and the team should get two shots and the ball. I understand that free throws are a part of the game and players should be able to make them, but if that's the case, foul them during the course of the game.

I'm sure the G league has some trouble with attendance and television viewership. I think this could be a good way to speed up the game.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Return to Basketball - Class B