Staying back to get ahead

The Buzz on Class B.
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Staying back to get ahead

Postby classB4ever » Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:40 pm

Have read many articles from throughout the US on student athletes repeating grades in late elementary or middle school to gain an advantage in athletics once they reach high school. Without a doubt, the physicality/maturity gained in the teen years is a tremendous advantage.

There are certainly times where being held back a grade is warranted. However, doing this solely based on gaining an advantage in sports is another matter, IMHO. Have mixed emotions on this.

What are your thoughts?

1. As a parent, would you/have you held a child back for sport's purposes? Would you do it again?
2. As an athlete, have you been held back for sport's reasons? Are you glad you did?
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Re: Staying back to get ahead

Postby B Historian » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:37 pm

I do know someone that did this with her two sons. The father passed away unexpectedly when the boys were in elementary school so at that point the mother elected to hold both back in school a year, the thought being that she wanted athletic scholarships because there is no way she could afford college as a single parent. Guess what? It worked out great for both- they ended up with basketball scholarships. Both of those kids also had outstanding senior seasons in high school after being somewhat marginal as juniors.

I haven't personally seen many other cases of kids being held back after they have already been in school a few years. But it does happen a lot in certain areas of the country. I know this has been an issue with HS football in TX for years.

What I do see a lot of in my area is parents delaying in sending kids to kindergarten. The age group cutoff for most national baseball organizations is 5/1 and it seems that has also become the de facto school age date for boys where I live: it is rare for a summer birthday to go to school with his age group anymore.
B Historian
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Flip » Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:58 pm

Mark Hall wrestled as a 7th grader in Kentucky and took 2nd place at the state meet. Family moved to Apple Valley, MN and he repeated 7th grade and won 6 state titles in MN.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby packers21 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:06 pm

Ahh the ole "Cavalier Redshirt"
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby NDPREP » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:19 pm

Looking at NDHSAA rules once you start 9th grade you get 4 years to compete at the varsity level, I wonder what would happen if an 8th grader played varisty, and then was held back, could they have 6 years?

2 years as an 8th grader and then 9-12 as long as they didn't hit the age limit?

I know in some states the 8th grade red shirt is definitely a thing.
NDPREP
NDPreps All-Conference

Return to Basketball - Class B