3 class system

The Buzz on Class B.
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: 3 class system

Postby Sorenson23 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:30 am

I should've worded that differently you're right run it hope help. But all I was trying to say is I'm for either a super region format, or a three class system.
Sorenson23
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby The Schwab » Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:27 am

I would be for a super region format and a 3-class system. Super Regions have fixed nothing when it comes to the domination of teams in regions.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndlionsfan » Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:43 am

I believe the super region format should be mandated across the state. It is just ridiculous to have a 4 day tournament to eliminate 2-3 teams. I know it goes away from local control and having some revenue generated in a few small towns that still hold districts, though.

I think the ship has sailed on the 3 class system. With all the coops now I just don't see it changing to go back to single town teams if a third class in introduced. 10-15 years ago would have been the perfect time to get it started but now is just too late.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:09 pm

I disagree that it wouldn't be a good time to go to 3 class system: This model is just going off of my "success model" combining school size and tradition

Class AA- Current Class A teams
Class A- East- Central Cass, Kindred, Lisbon, Hillsboro-Central Valley, Northern Cass, Grafton, Fargo Oak Grove, Carrington, Rugby, Thompson, Langdon-Edmore-Munich, Oakes, Hatton-Northwood, Four Winds-Minnewauken, Bismarck Shiloh Christian, Velva
West-New Town, Beulah, Stanley, Heart River, Standing Rock, Hazen, Dickinson Trinity, Nedrose, Minot Bishop Ryan, South Prairie, Bowman County, Minot Our Redeemers, Williston Trinity Christian, Bottineau, DLB

Class B- Everyone else

This is a rough draft I literally put together in 5 minutes. If something doesn't make sense, so be it, but this is a thing that could work. We can have 3 classes and have different criteria than strictly school size.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby washed_up » Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:26 pm

It is looking like there is no way the NDHSAA will consider a 3 class system at this time. What would be the odds of them considering splitting up the classes differently? Lets say a 50/50 split between the two classes based on enrollments or even a 1/3 to 2/3 split.
washed_up
NDPreps Reserve

Postby winner-within » Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:55 pm

Very few Programs are still all alone in ND Boys Class B, Cavalier (2 starters born in the Cavalier Hospital in 01', right before they quit having babies there for good) is one of them...I personally believe Cavalier and North Border should have co-op'ed in all sports (right now is a select few) 2 years ago....
It would have been no different then when Walhalla and North Border co-oped in 2000, many players had to take the bench or not go out but thats how you compete with the HCV'S and Thompson's and all the huge programs throughout....instead? they remain by themselves and keep striving, they have one gym, even the new school proposal (voted down twice lately, 3 times if you go back a few years) has no new gym involved in it...Why? because its a Football town? with all that said the Town is still looked upon as BIG PROGRAM...well I have news...it isn't, had they joined with NB in GB, BB, GV, FB, it would have been dominance at its finest credit to great athletes, just like the other Region 2 dominant programs in the past few years
Now, I grew up in Cavalier County and there were 12 schools back then and now there is essentially one LAEM, should they be dominant in every sport? they'd better be! they have a girl who quit the team (because she didn't see the floor) that would Start on every class B program in the State and some Class A's....if you have that scenario going on in your Class B Program, you are an unusual force, but not so unusual as some of the others that rank in the top 6 or 7 or 10 also have that luxury.....so leading into "these teams should be in a middle division if there were 3 classes"? thats fine....it would actually be more fun on here and everybody wouldn't be sucking on the Bigs of B like they do now....but Class B and the hype would be over for good, and thats fine too IMO, because there are so many who can't wait for their summer ball etc etc, just to get a chance at actually winning a few games or maybe a lot of games, instead of not winning one all season..........Class B isn't gone, its just changed so much that even the Media only covers the Suburbs and bedroom communities if you will...what is gone, is true rural and true one school programs...
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:43 pm

winner-within wrote:Very few Programs are still all alone in ND Boys Class B, Cavalier (2 starters born in the Cavalier Hospital in 01', right before they quit having babies there for good) is one of them...I personally believe Cavalier and North Border should have co-op'ed in all sports (right now is a select few) 2 years ago....
It would have been no different then when Walhalla and North Border co-oped in 2000, many players had to take the bench or not go out but thats how you compete with the HCV'S and Thompson's and all the huge programs throughout....instead? they remain by themselves and keep striving, they have one gym, even the new school proposal (voted down twice lately, 3 times if you go back a few years) has no new gym involved in it...Why? because its a Football town? with all that said the Town is still looked upon as BIG PROGRAM...well I have news...it isn't, had they joined with NB in GB, BB, GV, FB, it would have been dominance at its finest credit to great athletes, just like the other Region 2 dominant programs in the past few years
Now, I grew up in Cavalier County and there were 12 schools back then and now there is essentially one LAEM, should they be dominant in every sport? they'd better be! they have a girl who quit the team (because she didn't see the floor) that would Start on every class B program in the State and some Class A's....if you have that scenario going on in your Class B Program, you are an unusual force, but not so unusual as some of the others that rank in the top 6 or 7 or 10 also have that luxury.....so leading into "these teams should be in a middle division if there were 3 classes"? thats fine....it would actually be more fun on here and everybody wouldn't be sucking on the Bigs of B like they do now....
but Class B and the hype would be over for good,
and thats fine too IMO, because there are so many who can't wait for their summer ball etc etc, just to get a chance at actually winning a few games or maybe a lot of games, instead of not winning one all season..........Class B isn't gone, its just changed so much that even the Media only covers the Suburbs and bedroom communities if you will...what is gone, is true rural and true one school programs...

I completely disagree with this statement. When the Northstar was in existence (which was similar to a 3rd class), was the class B hype less? Before the private schools started dominating class b, was the hype less? Honestly I think a 3rd class would raise the hype for the small class state tournament.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby Sportsrube » Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:53 pm

The Schwab wrote:
winner-within wrote:Very few Programs are still all alone in ND Boys Class B, Cavalier (2 starters born in the Cavalier Hospital in 01', right before they quit having babies there for good) is one of them...I personally believe Cavalier and North Border should have co-op'ed in all sports (right now is a select few) 2 years ago....
Now, I grew up in Cavalier County and there were 12 schools back then and now there is essentially one LAEM, should they be dominant in every sport? they'd better be! they have a girl who quit the team (because she didn't see the floor) that would Start on every class B program in the State and some Class A's....if you have that scenario going on in your Class B Program, you are an unusual force, but not so unusual as some of the others that rank in the top 6 or 7 or 10 also have that luxury.....so leading into "these teams should be in a middle division if there were 3 classes"? thats fine....it would actually be more fun on here and everybody wouldn't be sucking on the Bigs of B like they do now....
but Class B and the hype would be over for good,
and thats fine too IMO, because there are so many who can't wait for their summer ball etc etc, just to get a chance at actually winning a few games or maybe a lot of games, instead of not winning one all season..........Class B isn't gone, its just changed so much that even the Media only covers the Suburbs and bedroom communities if you will...what is gone, is true rural and true one school programs...

I completely disagree with this statement. When the Northstar was in existence (which was similar to a 3rd class), was the class B hype less? Before the private schools started dominating class b, was the hype less? Honestly I think a 3rd class would raise the hype for the small class state tournament.

I agree Schwab - I think the hype for the smallest division would be huge among the schools. As for the media I don't think so. The Bismarck Tribune and Fargo Forum very rarely go outside their city limits to cover anything anymore. I think the biggest issue might be finding a weekend and a venue that would host it without having 2 tournaments on the same weekend.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Sorenson23 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:21 am

Don't know if this is the section to post this. But what is the deadline for teams if they want to co-op for the 2020-21 basketball season?
Sorenson23
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Sportsrube » Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:40 pm

Sorenson23 wrote:Don't know if this is the section to post this. But what is the deadline for teams if they want to co-op for the 2020-21 basketball season?

It used to be that your co-op application for next season had to be submitted before the end of the current season. Don't know if that is still the case or not. In the past, if you turned your application in late they could still OK it, they just charged the schools a fee for being late.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Sorenson23 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:02 pm

Ok thanks.
Sorenson23
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby GOPACKGO!!! » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:34 pm

It's time to get this done. Co-ops are forming bigger co-ops because they can't compete as a co-op. SMH Soon you will have an entire county trying to compete with the suburbs. Heck we probably already do for all I know.
GOPACKGO!!!
NDPreps Starter

Postby classB4ever » Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:20 pm

GOPACKGO!!! wrote:It's time to get this done. Co-ops are forming bigger co-ops because they can't compete as a co-op. SMH Soon you will have an entire county trying to compete with the suburbs. Heck we probably already do for all I know.

Benson County
Grant County
Bowman County
Kidder County
Divide County
Burke County
Barnes County North
Griggs County Central
Tri-State
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby The Schwab » Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:58 pm

Here are the list of schools that are in a co-op not consolidation (meaning they have separate schools but combine for sports)

Four-Winds/Minnewauken
Hatton-Northwood
Hillsboro-Central Valley
Edgeley-Kulm-Montpelier
Langdon-Edmore-Munich
Benson County
Strasburg-Zeeland
North Border (2 different high schools in one district I believe)
Glen Ullin-Hebron
Linton-HMB
LaMoure Litchville/Marion
Tri-State
Turtle Lake Mercer/McClusky
TGU (2 different high schools, one district I think)
Midway-Minto
Drayton Valley-Edinburg
Harvey Wells County
Burke County
Wilton Wing
Heart River
Park River/Fordville-Lankin
Milnor North Sargent
Medina/Pingree Buchannon
Napoleon/Gackle Streeter
Wyndmere Lidgerwood
Grant County
South Border
Finley Sharon Hope Page

I'm pretty sure that these are the Co-ops of Class B (Different High Schools combining for sports) I know that there are more teams that have multiple town names, but I don't think they have different high schools.

How many of these could be separate for sports?
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndlionsfan » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:28 pm

The Schwab wrote:Here are the list of schools that are in a co-op not consolidation (meaning they have separate schools but combine for sports)

Edgeley-Kulm-Montpelier
Langdon-Edmore-Munich
Benson County
Strasburg-Zeeland
North Border
Glen Ullin-Hebron
Linton-HMB
Tri-State
TGU
Drayton Valley-Edinburg
Harvey Wells County
Burke County
Wilton Wing
Heart River
Medina/Pingree Buchannon
Napoleon/Gackle Streeter
Wyndmere Lidgerwood
Grant County
South Border
Finley Sharon Hope Page

I do not see any of the above teams splitting up due to one or both of the coop schools being too small. That only takes about 6 teams and turns it into an additional 12 if a third class is developed.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:51 pm

Heart River could for sure split up Belfield (79) and South Heart (104) for HS enrollments
Wyndmere (69) and Lidgerwood (56) probably could
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:01 pm

ndlionsfan wrote:

I do not see any of the above teams splitting up due to one or both of the coop schools being too small. That only takes about 6 teams and turns it into an additional 12 if a third class is developed.

12? wouldn't it be 6?
Hatton (68), Midway (46), Minto (77), Central Valley (49) don't want to get out of their co-ops.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndlionsfan » Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:03 pm

The Schwab wrote:Heart River could for sure split up Belfield (79) and South Heart (104) for HS enrollments
Wyndmere (69) and Lidgerwood (56) probably could

Wynd/Lidg might be too small based on participation and being in a coop for so long. I feel HCV and HN could. I also think Mwkn could field their own team eventually in getting a program started. Not sure on Midway, but think Minto could.
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndlionsfan » Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:06 pm

Flip wrote:
ndlionsfan wrote:

12? wouldn't it be 6?
Hatton (68), Midway (46), Minto (77), Central Valley (49) don't want to get out of their co-ops.

Yes, I meant taking 6 teams and becoming 12 total. Probably didn't word it the best. Didn't realize CV had that small of an enrollment.
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:13 pm

Milnor-North Sargent will be adding Sargent Central next year and become Sargent County. (Sargent Central has been struggling with numbers and finding a coop partner for years).
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Flip » Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:17 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:Milnor-North Sargent will be adding Sargent Central next year and become Sargent County. (Sargent Central has been struggling with numbers and finding a coop partner for years).

And its not like these schools that could get by on their own for a couple years are growing communities.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:25 pm

Flip wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:Milnor-North Sargent will be adding Sargent Central next year and become Sargent County. (Sargent Central has been struggling with numbers and finding a coop partner for years).

And its not like these schools that could get by on their own for a couple years are growing communities.

Forman is dwindling, Gwinner is small and Milnor is small; they wouldn't have programs in the future if they broke apart.

Wyndmere & Lidgerwood are probably the same and so is Fairmount/Campbell-Tintah (part of Tri-State)...Rosholt would be fine being the largest school of that coop.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby classB4ever » Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:49 pm

ndlionsfan wrote:

I think the ship has sailed on the 3 class system. With all the coops now I just don't see it changing to go back to single town teams if a third class in introduced. 10-15 years ago would have been the perfect time to get it started but now is just too late.
The Schwab wrote:I disagree that it wouldn't be a good time to go to 3 class system: This model is just going off of my "success model" combining school size and tradition

Class AA- Current Class A teams
Class A- East- Central Cass, Kindred, Lisbon, Hillsboro-Central Valley, Northern Cass, Grafton, Fargo Oak Grove, Carrington, Rugby, Thompson, Langdon-Edmore-Munich, Oakes, Hatton-Northwood, Four Winds-Minnewauken, Bismarck Shiloh Christian, Velva
West-New Town, Beulah, Stanley, Heart River, Standing Rock, Hazen, Dickinson Trinity, Nedrose, Minot Bishop Ryan, South Prairie, Bowman County, Minot Our Redeemers, Williston Trinity Christian, Bottineau, DLB

Class B- Everyone else

This is a rough draft I literally put together in 5 minutes. If something doesn't make sense, so be it, but this is a thing that could work. We can have 3 classes and have different criteria than strictly school size.

There are currently around 107 Class B teams. Taking out 30 or so teams to create a 3rd division still leaves over 70 teams in the bottom class. I don't understand why people would think, even with the current co-ops, it wouldn't work and be very popular. There have been many proposals thrown out on here and any one of them could work. My main point is bringing back competitive basketball which will IMHO increase participation by pairing like teams against like teams.

Look at how many of the current top teams are traveling around the state to play against teams like themselves throughout the season. They are literally answering the question of "will it work or not?" They are telling us that something needs to be done and are willing to travel to make it happen. 2 cents.
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Sniper » Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:39 pm

The Schwab wrote:Here are the list of schools that are in a co-op not consolidation (meaning they have separate schools but combine for sports)

Four-Winds/Minnewauken
Hatton-Northwood
Hillsboro-Central Valley
Edgeley-Kulm-Montpelier
Langdon-Edmore-Munich
Benson County
Strasburg-Zeeland
North Border (2 different high schools in one district I believe)
Glen Ullin-Hebron
Linton-HMB
Tri-State
TGU (2 different high schools, one district I think)
Midway-Minto
Drayton Valley-Edinburg
Harvey Wells County
Burke County
Wilton Wing
Heart River
Milnor North Sargent
Medina/Pingree Buchannon
Napoleon/Gackle Streeter
Wyndmere Lidgerwood
Grant County
South Border
Finley Sharon Hope Page

I'm pretty sure that these are the Co-ops of Class B (Different High Schools combining for sports) I know that there are more teams that have multiple town names, but I don't think they have different high schools.

How many of these could be separate for sports?

Grant County is one school
Sniper
NDPreps All-State

Postby The Schwab » Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:02 pm

you are right, they have 1 high school. I thought Carson still had a k-12 but they are just a k-8. My mistake
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball - Class B