3 class system

The Buzz on Class B.
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: 3 class system

Postby classB4ever » Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:25 am

2021 Region Predictions:
Region 1: Oak Grove/Enderlin vs. Kindred. If healthy, think Kindred goes to state.
Region 2: HCV vs. Grafton. HCV seems to be getting better as season progresses. HCV
Region 3: Ellendale vs. EKM Toss up. Will pick EKM
Region 4: FWM vs. Langdon/E/M. FWM, size, depth and experience.
Region 5: Shiloh Christian vs. Flasher SC experience and depth.
Region 6: Rugby vs. Minot Bishop Ryan Toss up. Think Rugby will regroup.
Region 7: Beulah vs. Dickinson Trinity Toss up. Going with gym. Love to see Bowman county sneak in.
Region 8: White Shield vs. Powers Lake Love to see Jesse make it, but experience to PL.

Made above predictions on Feb. 18th while season was still going. Due to seeding, some of the teams ended up playing in the semis, Grafton/HCV, Rugby/Bishop Ryan.

R1 - Kindred is really good when healthy and if they get past OG, will be a tough out at state.
R2 - I missed on HCV. They were peaking at the time but regressed towards the end of the season. Would have changed that pick going into region tourney. North Border is a scary team and wouldn't surprise me if they represent R2.
R3 - D5 was crazy. Ellendale ended up 4 seed and lost to D6 #1 LintonHMB by 2 in opening round of regions. #3 EKM won over #1 Oakes in OT last night.
R4 - FW/M is on cruise control. Looked like D8 #3 Northstar almost got D8 #1 LEM last night after knocking off D7 #2 New Rockford in Double OT the night before.
R6 - Bottineau and Rugby have been up and down all year (injuries and not real deep). No idea which way that will go.
R7 - Looked like Bowman County gave Dickinson Trinity a scare on their home court. No idea which way DT/Beulah game will go.

Some good story lines going into Thursday night championship.
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Sportsrube » Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:38 pm

classB4ever wrote:2021 Region Predictions:
Region 1: Oak Grove/Enderlin vs. Kindred. If healthy, think Kindred goes to state.
Region 2: HCV vs. Grafton. HCV seems to be getting better as season progresses. HCV
Region 4: FWM vs. Langdon/E/M. FWM, size, depth and experience.
Region 7: Beulah vs. Dickinson Trinity Toss up. Going with gym. Love to see Bowman county sneak in.
Region 8: White Shield vs. Powers Lake Love to see Jesse make it, but experience to PL.

Made above predictions on Feb. 18th while season was still going. Due to seeding, some of the teams ended up playing in the semis, Grafton/HCV, Rugby/Bishop Ryan.

R1 - Kindred is really good when healthy and if they get past OG, will be a tough out at state.
R2 - I missed on HCV. They were peaking at the time but regressed towards the end of the season. Would have changed that pick going into region tourney. North Border is a scary team and wouldn't surprise me if they represent R2.
R3 - D5 was crazy. Ellendale ended up 4 seed and lost to D6 #1 LintonHMB by 2 in opening round of regions. #3 EKM won over #1 Oakes in OT last night.
R4 - FW/M is on cruise control. Looked like D8 #3 Northstar almost got D8 #1 LEM last night after knocking off D7 #2 New Rockford in Double OT the night before.
R6 - Bottineau and Rugby have been up and down all year (injuries and not real deep). No idea which way that will go.
R7 - Looked like Bowman County gave Dickinson Trinity a scare on their home court. No idea which way DT/Beulah game will go.

Some good story lines going into Thursday night championship.

Region 3 is Linton-HMB v. EKM.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby classB4ever » Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:51 pm

Sportsrube wrote:
Region 3 is Linton-HMB v. EKM.

Yep. Those were predictions from Feb.
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Flip » Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:27 pm

Bisonguy06 wrote:
heimer wrote:As recently as last week, you were still against in one of your postings on a different thread.

Are you yanking my chain, or did you see something that flipped this for you?

That was during the girls' B. I don't see anything that screams "the system is broken" on their side of the equation.

The problems of status quo in B are more clearly visible on the boys' side, where the results are so very predictable.

There would be no need for any personal attacks or mischaracterization. I call balls and strikes as I see them. I support my positions with numbers and results. I always have.

A three class system in ND would be very competitive at the top two levels. What remains of 'B' would continue to be dominated by a small but more palatable group of schools with strong programs and tradition. The sum total would be equal to or better than what we have now, and its worth a try.

Putting my post here so I don't "distract from the issue."

Where do you see the difference between boys and girls? I see so many of the same problems.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Bisonguy06 » Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:29 pm

I am able to pay close attention to roughly half the state. On my half, the girls regional tournaments remain competitive and up for grabs with solid small school representation. The boys are entirely predictable and that trend has no end in sight.
Bisonguy06
NDPreps All-State

Postby classB4ever » Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:05 am

Bisonguy06 wrote:I am able to pay close attention to roughly half the state. On my half, the girls regional tournaments remain competitive and up for grabs with solid small school representation. The boys are entirely predictable and that trend has no end in sight.

My biggest concern for the last 20 years is we have lost participation due to the lack of parity. It then becomes a generational problem because those future fathers are not teaching their children to participate in extra curricular sports because they don't have the passion to do so. So not only 1 generation is lost but the next as well. This "snowball" gathers a lot of speed going down hill and soon it's too late to fix. As heimer mentioned in another thread and has been my belief, if it's only about winning, leave it alone. Please know that I have always been about winning. It is equally important to learn the road to become a winner and also how to lose graciously. It is imperative that we allow the next generations to have the opportunity to learn and be a part of real world, physical competition and not just something you play with your fingers and thumbs on a tv screen. Everything learned: Competition, team work, physical fitness, etc., translates into a more well rounded person for the future.

Not sure what the next step is or the plan to get everybody on board, but hope it is done sooner rather than later. 2 cents.
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Flying Wallenda » Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:18 am

classB4ever wrote:
Bisonguy06 wrote:I am able to pay close attention to roughly half the state. On my half, the girls regional tournaments remain competitive and up for grabs with solid small school representation. The boys are entirely predictable and that trend has no end in sight.

My biggest concern for the last 20 years is we have lost participation due to the lack of parity. It then becomes a generational problem because those future fathers are not teaching their children to participate in extra curricular sports because they don't have the passion to do so. So not only 1 generation is lost but the next as well. This "snowball" gathers a lot of speed going down hill and soon it's too late to fix. As heimer mentioned in another thread and has been my belief, if it's only about winning, leave it alone. Please know that I have always been about winning. It is equally important to learn the road to become a winner and also how to lose graciously. It is imperative that we allow the next generations to have the opportunity to learn and be a part of real world, physical competition and not just something you play with your fingers and thumbs on a tv screen. Everything learned: Competition, team work, physical fitness, etc., translates into a more well rounded person for the future.

Not sure what the next step is or the plan to get everybody on board, but hope it is done sooner rather than later. 2 cents.

Very, very well put.
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby classB4ever » Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:03 am

classB4ever wrote:Yearly Predictions (Big School 170+ 9-12):
Region 1: Big School/Private 67%
Region 2: Big School 59%
Region 3: A Small School 84%
Region 4: FWM vs. field > 50%
Region 5: Shiloh Christian vs. field > 54%
Region 6: Big School/Private 63%
Region 7: Beulah/Dickinson Trinity 84%
Region 8: A Small School 67%

2021 Region Predictions:
Region 4: FWM vs. Langdon. FWM, size, depth and experience.

Average Yearly State Results:
1st Place - Big/Private 67%
2nd Place - Big/Private 59%
3rd Place - Big/Private vs. Small 50-50
4th Place - Small 58%
5th Place - Big/Private 59%
6th Place - Big/Private vs. Small 50-50
7th Place - Small 63%
8th Place - Small 58%

Average finish for last 7 years by Region:

Region 4 2.14
Region 6 3.29
Region 1 3.86
Region 2 4.71
Region 3 4.71
Region 7 4.71
Region 5 5.57
Region 8 6.86

Not knowing seeding or who will be there, will still give it a shot.
2021 State Tourney Prediction:
1st Place - Four Winds-Minnewaukan (R4)
2nd Place - Kindred (R1)
3rd Place - Dickinson Trinity (R7)
4th Place - HCV (R2)
5th Place - Rugby (R6)
6th Place - Shiloh Christian (R5)
7th Place - EKM (R3) (This would be my Cinderella team to win it all and they could)
8th Place - Powers Lake (R8)

*Note - Nothing against any teams and certainly will be cheering for the underdogs. Good luck to all players and teams. Stay healthy and have fun.

From Feb. 18th. Put Grafton in HCV’s spot.
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby B Historian » Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:16 pm

classB4ever wrote:

The lack of participation is happening in other states as well. I live in a state with 6 classes for basketball and you see the same thing happening in the small classes. I feel the lack of participation has more to do with the world being a bigger place now than it was 30-40 years ago. Back at that time school sports were viewed as more important and there wasn't much else to do than to be on the team in the winter. Now there are many other things for kids to focus on, even in the rural areas. Maybe it's just me, but it's hard for me to feel sorry for kids that choose not to participate because they might get their butts kicked a few times a year. Almost anyone that wants to play on a Class B team can. How many kids at Minot High or WF Sheyenne would like to be on the team but can't make it?
B Historian
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Bison-Vikes #1 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:06 pm

Brought this here from boy's main thread. That thread has a tendency to get more emotional reactions than input on a proposed plan. Know there have been many proposals on this thread. Having read through many of them upthread, tried to take some from all and come up with one simple, straight forward plan that covers most of the "talked about problems."
*Notes: 1. Do not know enrollments of schools. 2. Have no problem with you tearing it apart but would like with data and not emotions. 3. If someone knows the enrollments, would love to see the teams that would make up each region. 4. This plan does not automatically put private/parochial schools in the upper or middle class. It uses a multiplier of enrollment based upon physical location of schools. This is an attempt to alleviate economic/geographical advantages that have been discussed and generally agreed upon by all.

Original Post:
"Not sure that I agree with direction of this. Quite frankly think it's awesome what the parents have done in Kindred and any other town, big or small, to promote all sports or any extra curricular activity. As mentioned earlier, it can be done any where in any small or big school with the right parent/community leg work.

Athletes can become better on their own or as a team in a gym, barn loft, outdoor slab or anywhere else. You don't need a state of the art weight room, gym, batting cage to achieve becoming stronger, faster, a better shooter, better hitter. It's whether they have the drive to get better or not. Sometimes that has to be taught, sometimes it's self initiative. Making excuses for that I think misses the point.

What they can't control is having 10 seniors, 10 juniors and 10 sophomores to practice with/against to fill the rosters. Believe that is where the problem lies."

Here's an idea to think about:

AA - 2 regions. 9 east/9 west. 18 largest schools by enrollment. Same tournament format as now. 1.5 multiplier if your school is physically located in any of our largest cities school districts (which ones and how many?).

A - 4 regions. 1A - SE, 2A - NE, 3A - SW, 4A - NW. 24 next largest enrollments using multiplier. 6 in each region. 1.5 multiplier if your school is located in a AA school district (maybe some better criteria is needed for this). 1.25 multiplier if your school district is adjacent to AA school district. Super Regionals and top 2 go to state tourney from each region.

B (85?) - 4 regions. All the rest of the schools. Districts and Regionals. Send 2 from each region to state tournament.

There is no question there will be years that perhaps the 3rd place team in 1 region is better than a 2nd place team in another region. Would love to see some type of challenge in round. Have ideas but would prefer to discuss on here first.
Bison-Vikes #1
NDPreps All-State

Postby leroybla » Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:55 pm

Bison-Vikes #1 wrote:Brought this here from boy's main thread. That thread has a tendency to get more emotional reactions than input on a proposed plan. Know there have been many proposals on this thread. Having read through many of them upthread, tried to take some from all and come up with one simple, straight forward plan that covers most of the "talked about problems."
*Notes: 1. Do not know enrollments of schools. 2. Have no problem with you tearing it apart but would like with data and not emotions. 3. If someone knows the enrollments, would love to see the teams that would make up each region. 4. This plan does not automatically put private/parochial schools in the upper or middle class. It uses a multiplier of enrollment based upon physical location of schools. This is an attempt to alleviate economic/geographical advantages that have been discussed and generally agreed upon by all.

Original Post:
"Not sure that I agree with direction of this. Quite frankly think it's awesome what the parents have done in Kindred and any other town, big or small, to promote all sports or any extra curricular activity. As mentioned earlier, it can be done any where in any small or big school with the right parent/community leg work.

Athletes can become better on their own or as a team in a gym, barn loft, outdoor slab or anywhere else. You don't need a state of the art weight room, gym, batting cage to achieve becoming stronger, faster, a better shooter, better hitter. It's whether they have the drive to get better or not. Sometimes that has to be taught, sometimes it's self initiative. Making excuses for that I think misses the point.

What they can't control is having 10 seniors, 10 juniors and 10 sophomores to practice with/against to fill the rosters. Believe that is where the problem lies."

Here's an idea to think about:

AA - 2 regions. 9 east/9 west. 18 largest schools by enrollment. Same tournament format as now. 1.5 multiplier if your school is physically located in any of our largest cities school districts (which ones and how many?).

A - 4 regions. 1A - SE, 2A - NE, 3A - SW, 4A - NW. 24 next largest enrollments using multiplier. 6 in each region. 1.5 multiplier if your school is located in a AA school district (maybe some better criteria is needed for this). 1.25 multiplier if your school district is adjacent to AA school district. Super Regionals and top 2 go to state tourney from each region.

B (85?) - 4 regions. All the rest of the schools. Districts and Regionals. Send 2 from each region to state tournament.

There is no question there will be years that perhaps the 3rd place team in 1 region is better than a 2nd place team in another region. Would love to see some type of challenge in round. Have ideas but would prefer to discuss on here first.
The Kindred community has done great things to enhance their athletic programs. Their success this year owes much to parents dedication but much must be credited to their gene pool. With 6-7 kids on their basketball team capable of dunking a basketball, this has to be regarded as a major advantage. Would we be talking about Enderlin if 2 or 3 of their tallest three players weren't there? Both of these schools will likely see swales in their programs from time to time that no parental involvement can prevent through facilities and camps. Good coaches get better jobs or retire. Kids lose interest or get hurt, or don't share their parents enthusiasm for sports.
leroybla
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Bison-Vikes #1 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:16 pm

leroybla wrote:
Bison-Vikes #1 wrote:Original Post:

The Kindred community has done great things to enhance their athletic programs. Their success this year owes much to parents dedication but much must be credited to their gene pool. With 6-7 kids on their basketball team capable of dunking a basketball, this has to be regarded as a major advantage. Would we be talking about Enderlin if 2 or 3 of their tallest three players weren't there? Both of these schools will likely see swales in their programs from time to time that no parental involvement can prevent through facilities and camps. Good coaches get better jobs or retire. Kids lose interest or get hurt, or don't share their parents enthusiasm for sports.

I agree with your post 100% and believe I stated it in my original post. Region 1 is a very unique region. Trust me, grew up and played there. Know what it takes to get out of that region and go to state. With that, I'll leave you with a couple of questions: 1. Enderlin has a team that they most likely will never see the likes of again or at least for a very long time. There is a chance they don't make state again next year. If you took Enderlin's team and put them in one of the other 7 regions this year or next, what would you say their odds were in making it to state? 2. How would Kindred have done playing against Valley City or Wahpeton in regular season? Would Kindred keep the game within 15 points of those 2?
This discussion is about keeping basketball alive and well in ND. Keeping participation levels up. It's not about state tourney appearances. That's why I brought it to this thread.
Bison-Vikes #1
NDPreps All-State

Postby B Historian » Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:58 pm

The difficult part of coming up with a three class system is addressing the sports season calendar and state tournament calendar issues that a third class causes. Until someone comes up with a great plan that addresses the concerns of both the larger and smaller schools in the state, there won't be enough support to get a three class system passed.
B Historian
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby WalkingStick » Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:02 am

Bison-Vikes #1 wrote:
leroybla wrote:
Bison-Vikes #1 wrote:Original Post:

I agree with your post 100% and believe I stated it in my original post. Region 1 is a very unique region. Trust me, grew up and played there. Know what it takes to get out of that region and go to state. With that, I'll leave you with a couple of questions: 1. Enderlin has a team that they most likely will never see the likes of again or at least for a very long time. There is a chance they don't make state again next year. If you took Enderlin's team and put them in one of the other 7 regions this year or next, what would you say their odds were in making it to state? 2. How would Kindred have done playing against Valley City or Wahpeton in regular season? Would Kindred keep the game within 15 points of those 2?
This discussion is about keeping basketball alive and well in ND. Keeping participation levels up. It's not about state tourney appearances. That's why I brought it to this thread.

OG beat VC so I would guess Kindred could beat VC as well...Wahpeton had a good squad this year so that would have been a decent matchup this year with Wahpeton probably winning.
One Stop Shop for All North Dakota Scores
https://www.northdakotaprepscoreboards.com/

"Control what you can control...Can't fix ignorant people"
WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Bison-Vikes #1 » Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:42 pm

B Historian wrote:The difficult part of coming up with a three class system is addressing the sports season calendar and state tournament calendar issues that a third class causes. Until someone comes up with a great plan that addresses the concerns of both the larger and smaller schools in the state, there won't be enough support to get a three class system passed.

There are currently 3 weekends used for tourneys. It has been suggested playing boys and girls for each division on the same weekend. Works for class A and think it would work well across the board.
Bison-Vikes #1
NDPreps All-State

Postby maddog1971 » Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:10 pm

I had to take a few months off from this debate but I am back.

I am in support of a 3 class system and it is not because anything has been proven to me that class B is broken because of bigger B schools... it is broken because private schools. The number clearly prove that they are at the top every year of their regions. SO They have to play someone.... SO it has to be the bigger B schools. So the problem is solved.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby Sportsrube » Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:31 pm

maddog1971 wrote:I had to take a few months off from this debate but I am back.

I am in support of a 3 class system and it is not because anything has been proven to me that class B is broken because of bigger B schools... it is broken because private schools. The number clearly prove that they are at the top every year of their regions. SO They have to play someone.... SO it has to be the bigger B schools. So the problem is solved.

Agreed!
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby classB4ever » Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:47 am

I have a question and will apologize if this has been asked and answered before. I haven't seen it:

Why do they use male enrollment for football and total enrollment for all other sports when classifying? Seems to me if they have the resources to get male enrollment for one, would be quite easy to break down all sports using same information. Seems it would give a better picture for classifying all sports.
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby The Schwab » Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:55 am

classB4ever wrote:I have a question and will apologize if this has been asked and answered before. I haven't seen it:

Why do they use male enrollment for football and total enrollment for all other sports when classifying? Seems to me if they have the resources to get male enrollment for one, would be quite easy to break down all sports using same information. Seems it would give a better picture for classifying all sports.

My guess would be that since football is the only NDHSAA activity that I'm aware of that has more than 2 divisions that's why they use male enrollment and the others use total enrollment because you are either Class A or Class B in every other competition (the one exception I can think of is Bishop Ryan being class A in softball and B in everything else.) Again, I could be wrong.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby classB4ever » Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:34 pm

The Schwab wrote:
classB4ever wrote:I have a question and will apologize if this has been asked and answered before. I haven't seen it:

My guess would be that since football is the only NDHSAA activity that I'm aware of that has more than 2 divisions that's why they use male enrollment and the others use total enrollment because you are either Class A or Class B in every other competition (the one exception I can think of is Bishop Ryan being class A in softball and B in everything else.) Again, I could be wrong.

That makes sense. Just curious as have seen classes of 20 kids with predominantly girls (16-4) and vice versa. So enrollment numbers could be skewed when considering boys vs. girls sports, but really wouldn't make a difference in current cutoffs and only 2 divisions. Thanks.
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Flip » Sat Dec 18, 2021 8:22 pm

Does Watford City have any hope in the next few years? barring a 3-class system.
They're just getting blasted on a nightly basis.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Thundersnow » Sun Dec 19, 2021 10:16 pm

Flip wrote:Does Watford City have any hope in the next few years? barring a 3-class system.
They're just getting blasted on a nightly basis.

Flip, the boys team does not have much hope in the next few years. Coach Gumke and his staff are coaching as hard and as well as they can, the talent level just isn't there compared to the rest of the WDA.

The girls team was great last year taking 2nd in the WDA and qualifying for the State A Tournament. But it appears that graduation hit them hard and last year's team may have been once-in-a-generation.

Under the current system, Watford City is stuck in Class A. Due to their enrollment numbers, they are never going back to Class B. Their only hope for much competitive basketball in the next decade is a 3-class system.
Thundersnow
NDPreps Starter

Postby BelfieldBantams » Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:52 pm

This needs to happen yesterday and it needs to be done before any more tweaks to the football system. That system is at least mostly decent. I started to feel that we need a 3 class system about half way through last year, but it is very obvious to me now that it NEEDS to happen. Last night I was in Kindred for the Maple River vs Kindred boys-girls doubleheader. 4 games total. Both Maple River programs have some very nice pieces and both have very good coaches in charge of their programs. But all four kindred teams made Maple River look like they had barely played basketball before and beat them by about 200 total points.

This was one game of how many last night that was decided by 40+ points.
BelfieldBantams
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flip » Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:45 pm

I was thinking about Region 2 girls. You have Cavalier, MPCG, and Hatton-Northwood. I believe they would have a chance to come out of some regions, but they're not even in the same hemisphere as Grafton.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Sun Jan 30, 2022 11:59 am

lennylive wrote:I also support a 3 class system. Should've happened several years ago.. but until that happens(which will be never) we are stuck whining and complaining about the Big Bs and the privates. It won't be long and CC,NC and Kindred will have to go into being class A like Watford city, at the current rate of school enrollment growth. You could throw HCV and Thompson and maybe Grafton into that also.

Maybe in the next 10 years, CC gains enough enrollment to be class A. Those other schools? No chance unless they discover a natural resource nearby.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball - Class B