3 class system

The Buzz on Class B.
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: 3 class system

Postby Flip » Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:37 am

B Historian wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:
Flip wrote:
hoophoophoop wrote:I have relatives in the younger classes, they have 100 kids in their class

Fall enrollment according to DPI
K 84
1 73
2 78
3 72
4 73
5 72
6 68
7 70
8 68
9 93
10 63
11 68
12 45

The highest four year group is K-3 which is 307. Now their enrollment will continue to go up cause the town is growing and access from other area towns...but they aren't quite to the concern-level of hitting and exceeding 325.

One more thing to think about: Those DPI numbers for Central Cass don't include Mapleton Elementary, and many of those kids feed into CC in high school. Mapleton built the new school a couple of years ago and numbers are booming. Central Cass might be over 325 enrollment in the not too distant future because of it.

I know it's not necessarily Region 1 related, but also interesting to me is that Valley City projects to be under 325 in about 4 years and should stay there. New Town out west could be over 325 in 7-8 years.

quote a couple posts in another thread that I thought would be good discussion here.

Mapleton's DPI numbers
K 29
1 29
2 17
3 36
4 17
5 14
6 4

Besides CC where else do Mapleton students go after 6th grade?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:31 am

West Fargo is an option, I believe
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby leroybla » Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:19 am

Mapleton just built a new elementary school. There are those in that community that envision a high school at some time in the (distant) future. It is my understanding that the majority (close to all) those "graduating" from Mapleton Elementary go to Central Cass. Possibly the low numbers in the 6th grade indicate that this age group has already moved on the CC or WF to acclimate to their next school.
leroybla
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:49 am

leroybla wrote:Mapleton just built a new elementary school. There are those in that community that envision a high school at some time in the (distant) future. It is my understanding that the majority (close to all) those "graduating" from Mapleton Elementary go to Central Cass. Possibly the low numbers in the 6th grade indicate that this age group has already moved on the CC or WF to acclimate to their next school.

A HS would be interesting and likely very necessary as Mapleton is growing too as a bedroom community of the F-M area.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby B Historian » Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:18 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
leroybla wrote:Mapleton just built a new elementary school. There are those in that community that envision a high school at some time in the (distant) future. It is my understanding that the majority (close to all) those "graduating" from Mapleton Elementary go to Central Cass. Possibly the low numbers in the 6th grade indicate that this age group has already moved on the CC or WF to acclimate to their next school.

A HS would be interesting and likely very necessary as Mapleton is growing too as a bedroom community of the F-M area.

Mapleton had a large percentage of elementary kids open enrolling in the neighboring districts before the new school was built. A brand new building must mean it's now fine for people to send their kids there, when not much else has changed. :roll:

I was told that at least 80% of the Mapleton kids go to Central Cass HS. If that is the case then CC could easily be over 325 in 6-7 years.

When you look at a town like Mapleton, what draws people there? Most of the time it's for the Class B experience for their kids- the same phenomenon you see with Thompson and Kindred and other schools that have grown simply due to proximity to a larger metro. So, what would probably expedite a Mapleton HS as much as anything would be if Central Cass became the new punching bag in the EDC.
B Historian
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:26 pm

B Historian wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:

Mapleton had a large percentage of elementary kids open enrolling in the neighboring districts before the new school was built. A brand new building must mean it's now fine for people to send their kids there, when not much else has changed. :roll:

I was told that at least 80% of the Mapleton kids go to Central Cass HS. If that is the case then CC could easily be over 325 in 6-7 years.

When you look at a town like Mapleton, what draws people there? Most of the time it's for the Class B experience for their kids- the same phenomenon you see with Thompson and Kindred and other schools that have grown simply due to proximity to a larger metro. So, what would probably expedite a Mapleton HS as much as anything would be if Central Cass became the new punching bag in the EDC.

So then my guess would be that a 3-class system will start to formulate again around that time frame...the biggest hurdle in the 3-class system is State Tournaments & Coverage (at least it seems like it because of the $$ involved); breaking down into a 3 class system based on enrollment is actually relatively simple (done it).

New West Fargo HS (Horace) starting in near future will move the EDC to 12 teams, unless VC falls below the 325-line by then.

Should be an interesting next few years.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby leroybla » Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:11 pm

Mapleton is not a large district areawise. Besides that it has no main street. There's a gas station, great golf course, some manufacturing, trucking, and little else. I expect that much of the industry in Mapleton received significant property tax incentives to locate where they are. The school district has been criticized for decades for their physical plant as their old school was considered unsafe and deficient in many ways. It's one of the few, if not the only, common schools districts (K-6 only) in the state (maybe Lincoln?). The DPI has encouraged Mapleton for decades to join an adjoining district. Paying startup as well as operating costs for a full high school seems a long way off. The district has population for its size, but not an enormous tax base.
leroybla
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby B Historian » Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:03 pm

leroybla wrote:Mapleton is not a large district areawise. Besides that it has no main street. There's a gas station, great golf course, some manufacturing, trucking, and little else. I expect that much of the industry in Mapleton received significant property tax incentives to locate where they are. The school district has been criticized for decades for their physical plant as their old school was considered unsafe and deficient in many ways. It's one of the few, if not the only, common schools districts (K-6 only) in the state (maybe Lincoln?). The DPI has encouraged Mapleton for decades to join an adjoining district. Paying startup as well as operating costs for a full high school seems a long way off. The district has population for its size, but not an enormous tax base.

I agree that the tax base isn't large, but provided the Maple River continues to be controlled the potential for pretty drastic population growth is there. Getting the new elementary school approved by the voters wasn't easy but now that it exists there would seem to be a chance to get a high school approved if the population gets up around 2K in the next decade.
B Historian
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby B Historian » Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:20 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
B Historian wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:

So then my guess would be that a 3-class system will start to formulate again around that time frame...the biggest hurdle in the 3-class system is State Tournaments & Coverage (at least it seems like it because of the $$ involved); breaking down into a 3 class system based on enrollment is actually relatively simple (done it).

New West Fargo HS (Horace) starting in near future will move the EDC to 12 teams, unless VC falls below the 325-line by then.

Should be an interesting next few years.

The same association that rolls out a new football plan every 12 months won't touch basketball. :lol: You are right in that splitting up teams into divisions is easy but the logistics/media coverage is not. I think 3 classes will happen one day but it will take some creative ideas to get it done.
B Historian
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby packers21 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:25 am

If CC gets to the 325 mark and VC drops belows I think theres a chance they revisit it. CC has some kids with parents at the NDHSAA.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby leroybla » Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:27 am

packers21 wrote:If CC gets to the 325 mark and VC drops belows I think theres a chance they revisit it. CC has some kids with parents at the NDHSAA.

I believe that Mapleton has more than 10 years to wait for their own high school. I don't believe that there is any appetite in WF to annex them. Their relatively small size district would require an enormous investment to their tax base (like Casselton's ethanol plant) to make an independent school feasible. While there have been lots of new homes (some quite expensive) built in Mapleton, homes bring students (expense) while businesses don't necessarily. Mapleton elementary relies heavily on local taxation (42%) compared to Casselton (23%)

http://institute-of-progressive-educati ... icts-1.jpg
leroybla
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby packers21 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:38 am

leroybla wrote:
packers21 wrote:If CC gets to the 325 mark and VC drops belows I think theres a chance they revisit it. CC has some kids with parents at the NDHSAA.

I believe that Mapleton has more than 10 years to wait for their own high school. I don't believe that there is any appetite in WF to annex them. Their relatively small size district would require an enormous investment to their tax base (like Casselton's ethanol plant) to make an independent school feasible. While there have been lots of new homes (some quite expensive) built in Mapleton, homes bring students (expense) while businesses don't necessarily. Mapleton elementary relies heavily on local taxation (42%) compared to Casselton (23%)

http://institute-of-progressive-educati ... icts-1.jpg

I should of been more clear, I was talking about the 3 class system.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby classB4ever » Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:35 am

Current Class B Poll:
SEVENTH POLL
Monday, January 25th, 2021

1. Enderlin (11) 9-1 213
2. Four Winds-Minnewaukan (9) 9-1 210
3. Dickinson Trinity (1) 12-1 188
4. Langdon/Edmore/Munich (2) 9-0 167
5. Grafton 10-1 138
6. Central Cass 9-1 97
7. Dunseith 7-1 70
8. Edgeley-Kulm-Montpelier 9-1 58
9. Ellendale 10-1 41
10. Kindred 6-2 26
Others receiving votes (RV): Powers Lake (9-1), Rugby (9-2), Beulah (7-4), Bishop Ryan (8-1), Linton-HMB (8-2), Bowman County (8-2), Oakes (7-3)

Proposed Class A Poll:
1. Four Winds-Minnewaukan
2. Wahpeton
3. Dickinson Trinity
4. Langdon/Edmore/Munich
5. Grafton
6. Central Cass
7. Dunseith
8. Kindred
9. Rugby
10. Beulah
Others receiving votes (RV): Valley City, Bishop Ryan, Shiloh Christian, Oak Grove, Thompson

Proposed Class B Poll:
1. Enderlin
2. Edgeley-Kulm-Montpelier
3. Ellendale
4. Powers Lake
5. Linton HMB
6. Bowman County
7. Oakes
8. Flasher
9. North Border
10. Drake Anamoose

Region 1A (2.8:1)
Valley City High School 339
Wahpeton High School 333
Central Cass High School 227
Kindred High School 200
Lisbon High School 178
Northern Cass High School 162
Milnor/North Sargent 140
Oak Grove High School 123

Region 2A (2:1)
Grafton Spoilers 268
Four Winds/Minnewaukan 231
Hillsboro/Central Valley 213
Langdon Area/Edmore/Munich 176
May-Port CG HS 153
Carrington High School 148
Park River/Fordville-Lankin 143
Thompson High School 132

Region 3A (3.6:1)
Watford City 387
Bottineau High School 195
Stanley High School 192
Dunseith High School 190
Harvey/Wells County 181
Des Lacs-Burlington HS 175
Rugby High School 166
Bishop Ryan High School 109

Region 4A (1.9:1)
New Town High School 261
Beulah High School 201
Standing Rock Community High School 200
Hazen High School 174
Heart River 174
Dickinson Trinity High School 150
Killdeer High School 142
Shiloh Christian High School 140

Region 1 B (2.6:1)
Oakes High School 138
Edgeley/Kulm/Montpelier 133
Wyndmere/Lidgerwood 131
LaMoure-Litchville/Marion 119
Linton/HMB Lions 117
Kidder County High School 115
Napoleon/G-S Imperials 101
Ellendale High School 95
South Border Mustangs 91
Barnes County North High School 84
Medina-Pingree/Buchanan 83
Enderlin High School 82
Richland High School 79
Hankinson High School 76
Finley-Sharon/Hope Page 74
Maple Valley High School 61
Sargent Central High School 59
Strasburg/Zeeland 54
Tri-State: Fairmount-Campbell-Tintah-Rosholt 0

Region 2B (2.6:1)
Cavalier High School 129
Hatton/Northwood 125
Midway/Minto 122
St. John High School 121
Drayton/Valley-Edinburg 113
North Border 110
Larimore High School 109
TGU Titans 88
New Rockford-Sheyenne High School 88
Dakota Prairie High School 78
North Star 75
Benson County 74
Rolla High School 65
Griggs County Central High School 62
Warwick High School 60
Westhope/Newburg 60
Rolette/Wolford Comets 58
Drake/Anamoose Raiders 58
Lakota High School 57
Midkota 49

Region 3B (2.7:1)
Bowman County High School 130
Garrison High School 119
Beach High School 115
Hettinger/Scranton 114
Wilton-Wing 97
Washburn High School 89
New Salem-Almont High School 88
Richardton-Taylor High School 82
Glen Ullin/Hebron 77
Turtle Lake-Mercer/McClusky 72
New England High School 70
Flasher 66
Mott-Regent HS 59
Grant County HS 58
Solen High School 55
Max High School 53
Underwood High School 51
Center-Stanton HS 48

Region 4B (4.5:1)
Velva High School 145
Nedrose High School 136
Tioga High School 120
South Prairie High School 111
Divide County High School 102
Mohall-Lansford-Sherwood High School 100
Surrey High School 94
Trenton High School 89
Glenburn High School 86
Ray High School 82
Kenmare High School 77
Lewis & Clark High School - Berthold 67
Parshall High School 64
Bowbells/Burke Central 62
Our Redeemer's HS 59
Mandaree High School 56
Alexander High School 53
White Shield High School 50
Powers Lake High School 49
Lewis & Clark, North Shore 36
Williston Trinity Christian High School 32
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ndlionsfan » Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:04 pm

I always like discussing these ideas even though they'll never go anywhere with the NDHSAA. I just don't understand what your reasoning is for not including Velva, Oakes, Bowman Co, and Nedrose in the A division based on their enrollments.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby classB4ever » Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:33 pm

ndlionsfan wrote:I always like discussing these ideas even though they'll never go anywhere with the NDHSAA. I just don't understand what your reasoning is for not including Velva, Oakes, Bowman Co, and Nedrose in the A division based on their enrollments.

Of course it will never happen, but like to stir the pot every now and then. :D Those are all old numbers that I just copied/pasted from way upthread. However, when I did that it was based strictly on geography for travel purposes, etc. Took first 8 teams (including private) in that area according to enrollment and everybody below that went to lower class. So, there would be some teams in certain regions with higher enrollment than in other regions. Oakes for instance was the 9th team in Region 1, so fell to Region 1B.
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:13 pm

classB4ever wrote:
ndlionsfan wrote:I always like discussing these ideas even though they'll never go anywhere with the NDHSAA. I just don't understand what your reasoning is for not including Velva, Oakes, Bowman Co, and Nedrose in the A division based on their enrollments.

Of course it will never happen, but like to stir the pot every now and then. :D Those are all old numbers that I just copied/pasted from way upthread. However, when I did that it was based strictly on geography for travel purposes, etc. Took first 8 teams (including private) in that area according to enrollment and everybody below that went to lower class. So, there would be some teams in certain regions with higher enrollment than in other regions. Oakes for instance was the 9th team in Region 1, so fell to Region 1B.

I was just going to ask where the numbers came from cause several are off from the numbers I have. It's always fun to play with the idea and we may as well start thinking about this again as a few schools have upticked enrollment and will near 300-325 range in the coming years.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Bison-Vikes #1 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:31 pm

It's too late for a 3 class system. With the decline of population in rural areas and loss of participation due to parity issues in current system, believe what you see now is what you will see for next 20 years. Handful of teams will dominate every year. 1 team from a small school will come along every now and then, but will happen less and less as time goes on.
Bison-Vikes #1
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby The Schwab » Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:57 pm

The 3 class system is the one example that really shows the NDHSAA doesn't care about what it's member schools want. The vote passed the district chairs meeting a few years back with a 14-2 vote.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:00 pm

The Schwab wrote:The 3 class system is the one example that really shows the NDHSAA doesn't care about what it's member schools want. The vote passed the district chairs meeting a few years back with a 14-2 vote.

I believe the last one had more approval from the B schools then the A schools...which was odd.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby B Historian » Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:09 pm

Bison-Vikes #1 wrote:It's too late for a 3 class system. With the decline of population in rural areas and loss of participation due to parity issues in current system, believe what you see now is what you will see for next 20 years. Handful of teams will dominate every year. 1 team from a small school will come along every now and then, but will happen less and less as time goes on.

SD has had a 3-class system for 35 years and that state is having similar problems with participation and parity issues.

Times change and values change and I think those factors play a large role in the participation issues. But I also think the game is harder to play for the "average" athlete than it was 30 years ago: It's faster and you have to be able to shoot well from greater distances. With so many other options of things to do now, it's much easier for the average kid to give up the game, especially when playing could also mean traveling 30 minutes just to get to practice in some of these coops.

Also, I never see this talked about, but I think the shot clock has made the parity issues worse in Class B. Sure, the shot clock is fine when teams like Enderlin and Four Winds play, but for the 90% of the rest of these schools it doesn't make sense. It's just logical that a team with less shooters and athletes is going to play worse basketball with the shot clock. I am shocked at the number of games this season with teams scoring in the 20's. The Utopian vision of 80-78 scores in Class B every night has not materialized.
B Historian
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby B Historian » Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:35 pm

Over the last 50 years, the population of ND has increased over 20%, while at the same time the number of HS basketball teams in the state has decreased from 279 to 126. Obviously, the entire population of the state has shifted into a few larger cities and the traditional Class B towns fortunate enough to have some proximity to the population centers.

If you took all the kids walking the halls of the two West Fargo schools right now, how many good Class B teams could you create? 30 years ago those same kids' parents were spread out all over the state playing Class B basketball.
B Historian
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Flying Wallenda » Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:26 am

When this came around again a few years back membership schools voted 60% against and 40% for a 3 class system. Its hard to change classifications when the majority of the schools aren't in favor.
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby Bison-Vikes #1 » Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:47 am

B Historian wrote:
Bison-Vikes #1 wrote:It's too late for a 3 class system. With the decline of population in rural areas and loss of participation due to parity issues in current system, believe what you see now is what you will see for next 20 years. Handful of teams will dominate every year. 1 team from a small school will come along every now and then, but will happen less and less as time goes on.

SD has had a 3-class system for 35 years and that state is having similar problems with participation and parity issues.

Times change and values change and I think those factors play a large role in the participation issues. But I also think the game is harder to play for the "average" athlete than it was 30 years ago: It's faster and you have to be able to shoot well from greater distances. With so many other options of things to do now, it's much easier for the average kid to give up the game, especially when playing could also mean traveling 30 minutes just to get to practice in some of these coops.

SD has approximately 274 public schools and 16 private. They are fielding 18 - AA teams, 55 - A teams and 84 - B teams. Percentage of bbb teams to high schools is 54%. ND has approximately 177 public schools and 16 private. They are fielding 22 - A teams and 104 B - teams. Percentage of bbb teams to high schools is 65%. You could say that ND has a better participation rate than SD. The question remains, how many more teams would there be if ND would have went to 3 classes 20 years ago? How many co-ops would not have happened if there was more parity in the smaller schools?

B Historian wrote:Times change and values change and I think those factors play a large role in the participation issues. But I also think the game is harder to play for the "average" athlete than it was 30 years ago: It's faster and you have to be able to shoot well from greater distances. With so many other options of things to do now, it's much easier for the average kid to give up the game, especially when playing could also mean traveling 30 minutes just to get to practice in some of these coops.

I would say the game has changed not the athletes. IMHO, the reason it's faster is 2 fold: Increase in 3 point shots and shot clock. Buying into the 3 point offense leads to more wide open court, longer passes and longer rebounds. Longer passes turn into more steals for more layups. Longer rebounds turn into more transition points. Agree with the travel issues. However, that would not be the case if schools would not have had to co-op to compete.

B Historian wrote:Also, I never see this talked about, but I think the shot clock has made the parity issues worse in Class B. Sure, the shot clock is fine when teams like Enderlin and Four Winds play, but for the 90% of the rest of these schools it doesn't make sense. It's just logical that a team with less shooters and athletes is going to play worse basketball with the shot clock. I am shocked at the number of games this season with teams scoring in the 20's. The Utopian vision of 80-78 scores in Class B every night has not materialized.

100% agree. Shot clock came into use in the 90's for Class A. Their games were very low scoring and very physical. Attendance was not good because of that. The shot clock really helped that. They have a good brand of basketball right now. Class B was always considered wide open and fast paced. But, change one and you end up changing all it seems.
Last edited by Bison-Vikes #1 on Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bison-Vikes #1
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby The Schwab » Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:04 am

Flying Wallenda wrote:When this came around again a few years back membership schools voted 60% against and 40% for a 3 class system. Its hard to change classifications when the majority of the schools aren't in favor.

I have heard the reason for this is so many schools are voting on the belief of "if it doesn't help us specifically we won't vote for it" would you agree with that assessment?
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flying Wallenda » Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:49 pm

The Schwab wrote:
Flying Wallenda wrote:When this came around again a few years back membership schools voted 60% against and 40% for a 3 class system. Its hard to change classifications when the majority of the schools aren't in favor.

I have heard the reason for this is so many schools are voting on the belief of "if it doesn't help us specifically we won't vote for it" would you agree with that assessment?

Any response would be purely speculation on my part. I have to believe that a large number of member schools have no desire to travel excessively in Dec/Jan/Feb. Adding an additional class would certainly add to that.
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball - Class B