NDHSAA iii. Recommend tournament policies

The Buzz on Class B.
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

NDHSAA iii. Recommend tournament policies

Postby justplayalready » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:59 pm

iii. Recommend tournament policies
1. Require fans to be in bleachers and not on the floor
2. Eliminate pre-tournament shoot arounds and hit arounds prior to start of tournament.

Discuss.... :shock:
justplayalready
NDPreps All-State

Re: NDHSAA iii. Recommend tournament policies

Postby justplayalready » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:06 pm

Wonder where this came from??? Does this include the first row of bleachers(this year's R6 GBB final)??? Might as well remove any seating from behind the baskets...maybe put the court inside a hockey rink???

Another decision trying to kill class B basketball????
justplayalready
NDPreps All-State

Postby ndlionsfan » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:19 pm

I agree that requiring fans to be in the bleachers is a joke. What kind of atmosphere will it be with the student section away from courtside?

Didn't they eliminate the shoot arounds a few years ago, too? When we made it to state those were vital because none of us had ever shot in a gym without a wall behind the hoop before. I've never shot more airballs in my life than in the first 15 minutes of those practices before you get your mind to adjust. I'm sure the reason is because of missing school time, but we are talking about 8 teams per season missing an extra half day of school. If the NDHSAA is really that worried about missing school why do they continue to have 1st round of regionals on a Monday in which 16 teams per season are playing a game that starts before school even lets out! Plus then you get every other kid getting an excused absence to go watch. At least the shoot around only involve the players.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:51 pm

ndlionsfan wrote:I agree that requiring fans to be in the bleachers is a joke. What kind of atmosphere will it be with the student section away from courtside?

State at the Alerus Center...
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby packers21 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:11 pm

I was looking at these updates yesterday. They are all a complete joke, the NDHSAA is a JOKE.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby BB11 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:22 pm

justplayalready wrote:iii. Recommend tournament policies
1. Require fans to be in bleachers and not on the floor
2. Eliminate pre-tournament shoot arounds and hit arounds prior to start of tournament.

Discuss.... :shock:

This, again, is because of volleyball. If you check on the NDHSAA website under tournament committee's agenda for their last meeting - there was a letter from an administrator asking the board to eliminate the pre-hit around for state volleyball and all other sports at the state tournament for loss of school time this causes.
It's amazing to me how one person can complain and get almost immediate action, regardless of the opinion's of everyone else it could affect. I just don't understand it.
"As God as my witness, I thought Turkeys could fly."
BB11
NDPreps All-State

Postby Indy5 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:47 pm

ndlionsfan wrote:Didn't they eliminate the shoot arounds a few years ago, too?

They were still around 2 years ago. I guess I don't know about the last couple years but I'd assume so.

The seating rule is a joke. Just people trying to find something to make it look like they work. There is no logical explanation behind it.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:55 pm

There were shootarounds at State two & three years ago. There is no shootarounds allowed at Regionals (at least not for Region 1)
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Flip » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:24 am

packers21 wrote:I was looking at these updates yesterday. They are all a complete joke, the NDHSAA is a JOKE.

take a look at their website, they don't give a poop about anything. The girls basketball page features a team pic from from the 2009 state champions.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndlionsfan » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:55 am

Run4Fun2009 wrote:There were shootarounds at State two & three years ago. There is no shootarounds allowed at Regionals (at least not for Region 1)

I played at state in 97 and 98 and there were shoot arounds. But I think it wasn't too long after that that they eliminated them because of missed school time. Then in the last five years or so I've heard about them again so I don't know when they started again.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Sportsrube » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:31 am

ndlionsfan wrote:I agree that requiring fans to be in the bleachers is a joke. What kind of atmosphere will it be with the student section away from courtside?

Didn't they eliminate the shoot arounds a few years ago, too? When we made it to state those were vital because none of us had ever shot in a gym without a wall behind the hoop before. I've never shot more airballs in my life than in the first 15 minutes of those practices before you get your mind to adjust. I'm sure the reason is because of missing school time, but we are talking about 8 teams per season missing an extra half day of school. If the NDHSAA is really that worried about missing school why do they continue to have 1st round of regionals on a Monday in which 16 teams per season are playing a game that starts before school even lets out! Plus then you get every other kid getting an excused absence to go watch. At least the shoot around only involve the players.

If they NDHSAA actually cared about kids missing school they would have to deal with Class B golf 1st. Our golf kids miss the entire day of school but are usually home before 3:30 PM. (Except for this year when nobody is golfing yet!) This is mainly due to the fact that Country Clubs do not want students on the course after 4:00 so their members can golf. (At least in our area) My response to that is if you do not want them on your course after a certain time then don't host golf meets. I expect the next 3 weeks to be ridiculous with golf kids being gone 2 - 4 days a week. Oh, and I'm not anti-golf (my kid golfs on our team) but the amount of school they miss is unreal.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby sportsnut5 » Wed May 01, 2013 11:53 am

The students on the floor rule was more than likely put in place due to the Class A Boys State Tournament this year. During warm-ups, the Bismarck student section was actually right on the baseline almost under the basket. Fargo Shanley didn't even have their full half court to warm-up on. It is my understanding that there was plenty of trash talking taking place between some members of the Bismarck student section and the Fargo Shanley players. Just hear-say, but have had several people tell me this was the case.
sportsnut5
NDPreps Starter

Postby broseidon2010 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:12 pm

Taking student sections away from the baseline at regions and state would have an extremely negative impact on Class B basketball. Having fans behind the basket creates an electric atmosphere that just wouldn't be the same they were eliminated. I completely understand backing them away from the actual baseline 5-10 feet away. But getting rid of them completely? Horrible idea.
broseidon2010
NDPreps Rookie

Postby avidsportster » Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:00 am

broseidon2010 wrote:Taking student sections away from the baseline at regions and state would have an extremely negative impact on Class B basketball. Having fans behind the basket creates an electric atmosphere that just wouldn't be the same they were eliminated. I completely understand backing them away from the actual baseline 5-10 feet away. But getting rid of them completely? Horrible idea.

Spot on! What are they trying to make this into! Keep the kids off to the sides to create the atmosphere and let the rest of us enjoy the seating and yet be able to cheer with the student body. I totally loved seeing the sea of red last year with Dickinson Trinity.
avidsportster
NDPreps Reserve

Return to Basketball - Class B