Mr. Basketball

The Buzz on Class B.
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Mr. Basketball

Postby NorthStarBearcats4 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:09 pm

Mr.Basketball?
NorthStarBearcats4
NDPreps Reserve

Re: Mr. Basketball

Postby NorthStarBearcats4 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:10 pm

Two Words Jake Hagler
NorthStarBearcats4
NDPreps Reserve

Postby balla45 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:24 am

I think Hagler will win Mr. Basketball and I also think that AJ Jacobson is much better.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:38 am

Why is he much better? In the games I've watched him (Jacobson) he didn't score when attacking left and pulling up for a shot, only scored when attacking right. Just my observation
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby balla45 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:42 am

AJ can score against and dominate essentially any type of competition. Watched both of them play multiple times this summer and it isn't really close honestly. AJ scores going right, going left, with the pull up, in the post, and spotting up. Can defend 2-4 against mid-major competition and 1-5 against low major. Would literally do well defending 6'10" and then come back and score 25-35. Scores in more ways than Joe did. Joe was better than AJ, because Joe's a better shooter and more athletic, but AJ scores with much more variety. Has great vision as well. Rebounds out of his area and consistently makes plays on both ends of the floor.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:43 pm

I'll take Hagler, makes everyone around him so much better, didn't see the same from Jacobson. In a college situation with college coaches and gameplanning if they had AJ defend a 4 IMO he would be a defensive liability.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby balla45 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:23 pm

I'm a Hagler fan, but I just don't see it being close. In a college situation, AJ can guard a spread 4. I don't see him being the type to bang with a 6'8" 240, but I don't see him being a liability against a 6'7" 210 who tries to create from the top of the key.

I will agree that Hagler puts his teammates in position to score, but even that needs to be looked at with a grain of salt, as he has been playing with at least 2 people who can create their own offense for his entire career.

I personally just do not see it being a very close race. I think Hagler will win Mr. Basketball, but I even struggle to say that he is the clear cut second best player in North Dakota. I don't see Hagler bringing anything to the table that Jacobson doesn't, and I see Jacobson bring things to the table that Hagler doesn't.

This really is not a Class A vs. Class B thing, as I'm using summer basketball to judge most of this, as they are both better than almost everyone that they play in North Dakota.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:15 am

balla45 wrote:I think Hagler will win Mr. Basketball and I also think that AJ Jacobson is much better.

If Hagler makes his college decision early Jacobson will have a better shot. Right now I think Jacobson has the edge.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby balla45 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:51 am

I do not think it will. The media has shown that recently, the level of college basketball that will be played has not been taken in to consideration.

Hanstad - Boise State lost to Schanilec D2 transitional.
Werner - NDSU, Yale - Minot State, Purintun - University of Mary, all lost to Langstaff JuCo.

I think Hagler wins because he has a good story, will average whatever he wants, and will go back to the state tournament.

I think if AJ wins, he'll need to come in to the state tournament with a record of at least 17-2 and he'll need to be averaging about 25 and 12, because Hagler will average 35 8 8 8 or something like that. On AJ's side, he is unique in that his mother was the first Miss Basketball winner.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:29 am

balla45 wrote:I do not think it will. The media has shown that recently, the level of college basketball that will be played has not been taken in to consideration.

Hanstad - Boise State lost to Schanilec D2 transitional.
Werner - NDSU, Yale - Minot State, Purintun - University of Mary, all lost to Langstaff JuCo.

Didn't Schnailec and Lanstaff make their decisions after the vote?

I think if AJ wins, he'll need to come in to the state tournament with a record of at least 17-2 and he'll need to be averaging about 25 and 12, because Hagler will average 35 8 8 8 or something like that. On AJ's side, he is unique in that his mother was the first Miss Basketball winner.

Is he that much better than last year?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby balla45 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:41 am

Yes, but everyone knew that Schanilec and Langstaff would not be playing Division 1 basketball, while other candidates were.

That's about what AJ averaged last year. Hagler could pretty much pick a number under 40 and average it. He'll get rebounds, assists, and steals naturally. His scoring numbers basically just reflect the number of shots he takes. He's going to shoot a high percentage from all over, and he'll maybe play three teams all year with someone who can defend him.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby InTheKnow » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:49 am

balla45 wrote:Yes, but everyone knew that Schanilec and Langstaff would not be playing Division 1 basketball, while other candidates were.

That's about what AJ averaged last year. Hagler could pretty much pick a number under 40 and average it. He'll get rebounds, assists, and steals naturally. His scoring numbers basically just reflect the number of shots he takes. He's going to shoot a high percentage from all over, and he'll maybe play three teams all year with someone who can defend him.

Schanilec was offered Division 1 walk on opportunities. Height/size (5'10 165lbs) was the only issue of him not playing D1 basketball. UND, SDSU, Western Illinois were all interested. He made his college choice based on academics and not the level of school for basketball. Aguably the best school for Engineering is SD School of Mines and thats where he went. He went to the highest level of school for what is important. EDUCATION
-10points on 5x5 from the floor, 6 boards, 2 steals, and 2 assists in 17 min during season opener last night and he dunked on Montana State last week putting up 7pts on 2 of 4 shooting.
InTheKnow
NDPreps All-State

Postby balla45 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:26 pm

Good for him.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby packers21 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:25 am

Haglar is the best player in the state and will win Mr. Basketball barring injury.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby balla45 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:43 pm

Wnat makes him a better player than AJ Jacobson or Mac Kroeplin? Not hating. Just curious as to what your thought process on this one is. I can maybe see the argument for him being better than Kroeplin, but I don't understand how he is better than Jacobson.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby packers21 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:28 pm

I believe that hes a all around better basketball player. His vision, passing, ability to score in multiple ways, his incredibly high basketball IQ, and most important his abiltity to make everyone around him better and no worry about his stats and what he could ave scoring wise. Hes played in 3 state tournaments prob going to be 4, and the other game he lost was in OT in a region champ. Plus he still has all his senior season to play.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby balla45 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:46 pm

I disagree with you completely, but I like that you actually have an argument to support your opinion.

I could actually quote what you said, other than losing in OT to the region champ, and use it as an argument for AJ Jacobson, but that is beside the point.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby bison football73 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:29 pm

Everyone looks at scoring, Hagler will win it.
bison football73
NDPreps All-State

Postby east sider » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:22 pm

Before this season I would have said Hagler had the edge. I haven't been able to follow all of Hagler's stats, but he seems to be inconsistent this year. At this point I think it's almost a lock Jacobson wins Mr. BB.
east sider
NDPreps Starter

Postby balla45 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:01 am

AJ is the best player. Mertens is averaging 31 points, 7 boards, and 6 assists. Kroeplin 21, 10, and 5, and undefeated. AJ leads class A in rebounds, blocks, and is second in scoring. AJ should win, but no one really can tell what the voters will do year in and year out.

I also should add that I find it rather, stupid, for lack of a better word, to base the winner of this award solely on statistics. I think that most would agree that having the best stats does not actually mean that the player is the best. IMO at this point in the game, Zacher is the best Class B player, and I doubt anyone is putting up numbers that rival was Lavachek is putting up. Haven't checked lately, but at last check it was somewhere around 32 and 15.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby Indy5 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:04 pm

balla45 wrote:I also should add that I find it rather, stupid, for lack of a better word, to base the winner of this award solely on statistics. I think that most would agree that having the best stats does not actually mean that the player is the best. IMO at this point in the game, Zacher is the best Class B player, and I doubt anyone is putting up numbers that rival was Lavachek is putting up. Haven't checked lately, but at last check it was somewhere around 32 and 15.

I agree that you can't only look at stats. And Zacher is deineitely better than Lavachek. He's much more of an all around player
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby newkidontheblock » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:03 pm

I also completely agree that you can't just look at stats. Zacher is a tremendous ball player and has definite WOW factor. He is one of the top of the state on the top team in the state. He is, in my opinion, a certain all stater.

However, in terms of an individual award like Mr. Basketball, I believe Zacher is the 3rd best senior ball player in Region 7.

Please, I don't say this to subtract anything from the young man, he is tremendous. I simply want to also give the deserved credit to the other two.
newkidontheblock
NDPreps Reserve

Postby packers21 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:05 pm

newkidontheblock wrote:I also completely agree that you can't just look at stats. Zacher is a tremendous ball player and has definite WOW factor. He is one of the top of the state on the top team in the state. He is, in my opinion, a certain all stater.

However, in terms of an individual award like Mr. Basketball, I believe Zacher is the 3rd best senior ball player in Region 7.

Please, I don't say this to subtract anything from the young man, he is tremendous. I simply want to also give the deserved credit to the other two.

Pretty big first post! Who you got 1 and 2?
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby The Schwab » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:07 pm

I would assume he has to be talking about Volk from Trinity and Carr from Hazen
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby newkidontheblock » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:47 pm

The Schwab wrote:I would assume he has to be talking about Volk from Trinity and Carr from Hazen

correct assumption
newkidontheblock
NDPreps Reserve

Next

Return to Basketball - Class B