Feelings on Parochial schools?

The Buzz on Class B.
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Feelings on Parochial schools?

Postby OldSchoolBaller » Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:42 pm

tmd33643 wrote:
spins wrote:When kids are not good enough to get significant playing time at a class A high school, they often times end up at a class B private school. Hey...they're good athletes and want to play...I don't blame them or the parents. This gives private schools a huge advantage over the typical small town class B school.

In Shiloh's history, only a handful of students have moved from a class A school to Shiloh because they were not getting enough playing time at the class A school. The few times this has happened, the player who moved was not good enough to get much playing time at Shiloh either. So really, Shiloh gets NO players to help the varsity from class A schools. I can't speak up for the other parochial schools but I know this doesn't happen at Shiloh.

I'm not saying Shiloh doesn't have an advantage over other class b schools. They certainly do as they do have other gyms like the YMCA to go to. There are also plenty of different basketball camps and leagues to participate in or even just playing pick-up games with other kids at the YMCA for that matter. Also, while Shiloh doesn't get students moving in from class A schools, they do get students moving from small class b towns to Bismarck who want to stay class b. I think its quite obvious that private schools have an advantage over class b towns. My point was really just that Shiloh and I suspect most other parochial schools do not get students from class A schools transferring over since they didn't get enough playing time at the class A school.

The reason that the Parochial schools have an advantage is not because of the very few cases that they have had kids come from a small town, or transfers. It starts way before, in elementary school.

For instance, I grew up in a small school, and my classmates and I had a passion for basketball. There were 5 of us that wanted to play Traveling Team basketball where we would go around the state and play basketball against other kids that had this passion. Now you are probably thinking, "Well that is pretty risky to not have a bench", well we thought the same so we gathered a few kids from neighboring communities and practiced a couple times a week from March until school was out.

As a team we grew a great deal of chemistry with each other, and us small town kids could compete with a lot of these teams from the big towns, but alas when the season was over we would go back to our respective school teams and play against each other for the school ball season. When this happened we did not have a bench to compete with the stocked teams from the bigger schools.

Now imagine if one could keep that team together without having to travel 45 minutes to get to school, or having to move to a new town. I introduce you to Parochial Schools.
“It’s not the will to win that matters – everyone has that. It’s the will to prepare to win that matters.” - Paul "Bear" Bryant
OldSchoolBaller
NDPreps Reserve

Postby spins » Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:49 pm

ask yourself this question. if there was no basketball (or any sports) programs in these schools, would these kids still be going there?

I didn't think so.

To me that makes them sport schools.
spins
NDPreps Reserve

Postby tmd33643 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:13 pm

spins wrote:ask yourself this question. if there was no basketball (or any sports) programs in these schools, would these kids still be going there?

I didn't think so

Stupid question. You could ask that same thing about any school, public or private. Most students wouldn't go to any school that didn't have sports.
tmd33643
NDPreps Reserve

Postby spins » Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:24 pm

tmd33643 wrote:
spins wrote:ask yourself this question. if there was no basketball (or any sports) programs in these schools, would these kids still be going there?

I didn't think so

Stupid question. You could ask that same thing about any school, public or private. Most students wouldn't go to any school that didn't have sports.

Packerfan, I would imagine very few schools get students from Africa. However, any school could do that if they wanted to. One small class b town I use to play against when I was playing did have a player from Europe who was very good so while the player might not be from Africa, it does happen from time to time.

Its not a stupid question at ALL. These kids are mostly from bigger ND cites and they all have options. The POINT of a parochial school is the religious teachings along with a great education. This is why they exist. Do you think that kids that want a christian lifestyle in school just happen to be better than average athletes?

What do you think would happen if they stopped teaching religion? Do you think the basketball team would disband and move to other schools?

Also, MOST small class B school kids dont have a choice where they go to school.
spins
NDPreps Reserve

Previous

Return to Basketball - Class B