Mandan girl's BB

Class AA Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby NDSportsFan » Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:32 am

Mandan barely squeaked by Bismarck High 68-33 ;).  The three time defending state champions are on cruise control.
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Double Bonus » Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:24 pm

Greg Amundson, Mandan's head coach, is truly amazing. I don't think he has ever fielded a bad team. He the winningest coach in N.D. high school girls basketball.

My favorite Mandan victory was when it knocked off Fargo North in the championship game of state tournament a few years ago. That was an amazing coaching effort. He totally outcoached Anne Watkins in that game. It was also the first time I've ever seen anybody cheer for Mandan.

I know a lot of people get sick of Mandan winning but you have to respect the program Amundson has built.
Double Bonus

Postby bruins44 » Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:42 am

Bismarck Century girls upset Mandan Tuesday night 51 - 45 !!  way to go Jeske
bruins44
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby 1337 » Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:22 am

bruins44 wrote:Bismarck Century girls upset Mandan Tuesday night 51 - 45 !!  way to go Jeske

Wow! Impressive indeed! Oh well, all that means is I'd be even more worried this time of year because I'm sure all it did was re-focus themselves on what needs to be accomplished!
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby bruins44 » Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:57 am

Your right,  Mandan will be ready for tournament time,  The Tribune said that Kalpinski sprained an ankle in the 1st qt, that might have had something to do with this loss, but give Century credit, beating Mandan anytime is a big big win!!
bruins44
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby UND9296 » Sun Feb 12, 2006 4:14 am

Speaking of Mandan girls basketball, does anybody know why Rebecca Kielpinski ended up at Alaska-Anchorage of all places?  Was she recruited heavily by either UND or NDSU? Any word on where the younger Kielpinski may be headed after next year?
UND9296
NDPreps Starter

Postby Ming01 » Sun Feb 12, 2006 8:48 am

She was being recruited by UND and NDSU but also very heavily by Alaska-Anchorage.  Another reason why she went there is because I heard she also has family up there too.  No idea whos recruiting the younger Kielpinski.
Last edited by Ming01 on Sun Feb 12, 2006 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby bruins44 » Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:24 am

UND9296 wrote:Speaking of Mandan girls basketball, does anybody know why Rebecca Kielpinski ended up at Alaska-Anchorage of all places?  Was she recruited heavily by either UND or NDSU? Any word on where the younger Kielpinski may be headed after next year?

The word I heard was when she had her visit there they treated her like a queen... she also loved the area and I think she is going into forestry or something like that, I do know that the bison and sioux did want her.... Rebecca is D1, it would have been nice to see her stay in the state!!  her sister might even be better!! Amy get off your butt and head to Mandan,  we need her at NDSU.

bruins44
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby UND9296 » Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:01 am

For a North Dakota Ms. Basketball to leave the state to play dII ball may be unprecedented. I can't think of anybody aside from Kielpinski who has done it.
UND9296
NDPreps Starter

Postby Honus355 » Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:39 am

And now Rebecca went up there and averaged 19.3 points a game. She was also voted Freshman athlete of the year in that conference and also was the only underclassmen on the All-Conference teams (she was 2nd team). Just wanted to let everyone know how she's been doing.
Honus355
NDPreps Starter

Postby BBall dominator » Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:51 am

What happened to Kari Hanson I heard she had a eating disorder but did she end up playing anywhere after she recovered?
Hate my selfishness, Hate my lies, Hate my infidelity, Hate the fact that my high-powered attorneys got me off and humiliated my accuser when I was charged with rape. And hate that I'm loved, because I can shoot a ball.
BBall dominator
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Double Bonus » Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:48 am

Kari never did play again. She's still not healthy enough. She got married last fall. Cindy Peterson from the Minot Daily ended up doing a big story on Kari's eating disorder. It's a really good read.
Double Bonus

Postby UND9296 » Sat Apr 01, 2006 3:33 am

According to the Grand Forks Herald a couple of days ago, Marlee Finley from Four Winds is transferring to Mandan.
UND9296
NDPreps Starter

Postby bruins44 » Sat Apr 01, 2006 4:01 am

UND9296 wrote:According to the Grand Forks Herald a couple of days ago, Marlee Finley from Four Winds is transferring to Mandan.

Rumors flying around the state tournament was that not only is Finley transfering to Mandan but the best player from Belcourt is also, I dont remember her name but she was a freshman and very good, also a girl from South Dakota is rumored to be tranfering to Mandan also.... The coaches from the WDA are very upset!! Can you say Recruiting!!
bruins44
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby NATURAL TALENT » Sat Apr 01, 2006 5:05 pm

hmm, something sounds fishy there.
NATURAL TALENT
NDPreps All-State

Postby Honus355 » Sat Apr 01, 2006 7:04 pm

UND9296 wrote:According to the Grand Forks Herald a couple of days ago, Marlee Finley from Four Winds is transferring to Mandan.

Yes Finley currently is living in Mandan. However, why do people think that there is recruiting going on? What would be the point to recruit if you are Coach Amundson? If anyone is 'recruiting' in Mandan it is the Mandan Girls Basketball programs' PRESTIGE that is.
Last edited by Honus355 on Sat Apr 01, 2006 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Honus355
NDPreps Starter

Postby bruins44 » Sun Apr 02, 2006 6:02 am

Honus355 wrote:
Yes Finley currently is living in Mandan. However, why do people think that there is recruiting going on? What would be the point to recruit if you are Coach Amundson? If anyone is 'recruiting' in Mandan it is the Mandan Girls Basketball programs' PRESTIGE that is.

What upsets the coaches is that every year a girl transfers into Mandan and it always seams to be a position player that they need!!  Greg is a great coach but getting great players to transfer in every year is an unfair advantage.... some of these girls play with his team in the summer, traveling with the team and winning summer games along with getting to know the coaches and other players as well as a chance to win STATE every year is a pretty big carrot dangling in front of them. Yes Mandan is a great program but how would you feel if your daughter was the player that lost her spot when an outsider moves to Mandan and takes her place?
bruins44
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Honus355 » Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:04 am

First of all why would you say that Mandan NEEDS another guard? Kraft and Schleicher (state tournament team), and then collins (only going to be a soph.)? And where is the proof that Coach Amundson is getting players to transfer to mandan every year? What would you do if you were a school administrator and someone moved to your town to go to school? Would you deny them the opportunity of an education? That's simply ludacris. And what great player transfered to Mandan last year? The only person that came 'outside of the program' is Kayla Rogers and her dad got a job in the Bis/Mandan area.

A question for you, if you got a job in the Bis/Man area where would you send your daughter? I can guarantee that your answer is Mandan. How about your son? I can guarantee that your answer would then be Bismarck High. Why? Because of the program and that they WIN!

And as far as if my daughter played for the program and her 'place' was taken by someone that tranfered in...well, its not like the Braves only play five people. The Braves second line has traditionally been nearly as good as their first line. So, just because you don't start doesn't mean you are not going to play.
Last edited by Honus355 on Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Honus355
NDPreps Starter

Postby bruins44 » Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:14 am

Next time you see Meiers or Jeske, ask them how they feel about Mandan getting girls to move there... It would be interesting to know what the girls from Four Winds and Belcourts parents do for a living? and what JOB they are moving to Mandan for?
bruins44
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Honus355 » Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:30 am

It goes the same way with basketball on the boys side...Bismarck High is notorious for getting tranfers in. Russ Archambault tranfered to BHS. I would like you to ask Century and Mandan boys coaches what they feel about that...b/c everyone knows that people want to win in HS sports...and if there is a choice of where to live, WHICH THERE IS, parents want their children to go to successful programs.

I would also appreciate it if you would address some of the questions that I posed in my prior post. Thanks

Sorry, I suppose if I want you to address my questions then I should address yours. I do not know what Jeske and Meier think about the situation but I am guessing that they are jealous. Would they take her if she wanted to go there? In a heartbeat. And I do not know what her parents do for work...so sorry on that behalf.
Last edited by Honus355 on Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Honus355
NDPreps Starter

Postby bruins44 » Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:51 am

Honus355 wrote:And where is the proof that Coach Amundson is getting players to transfer to mandan every year?  And what great player transfered to Mandan last year? The only person that came 'outside of the program' is Kayla Rogers and her dad got a job in the Bis/Mandan area.

A question for you, if you got a job in the Bis/Man area where would you send your daughter?  Why? Because of the program and that they WIN!

Yes, I agree that if I moved to the Bismarck-Mandan area and had a son or daughter playing basketball I would look at the success of the programs... there is no denying that Mandan has the best girls program, I am not disputing that!! and if she could play there, that is where I would want her to play...  my only question has been... does Greg talk to these girls about transfering... and there is no proof of that! its just interesting that Rogers moved when they needed a shooter and now these other two girls are coming when Rogers leaves. By the way Rogers played with the Mandan girls the summer before she transfered... More power to them if these girls want to play for Mandan, what girl wouldnt! and yes coaches around the state envy what Greg has done, but if he gets "all state" type of players to move in then the playing field will never be equal.
bruins44
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Honus355 » Sun Apr 02, 2006 12:20 pm

I talked to someone from Mandan about this the other day and the answer I got was that he did not talk to Finley about transferring. Her dad called the school and said that he was moving to town and that he was going to enroll her at MHS.
Honus355
NDPreps Starter

Postby Ming01 » Sun Apr 02, 2006 1:15 pm

Honus355 wrote:It goes the same way with basketball on the boys side...Bismarck High is notorious for getting tranfers in. Russ Archambault tranfered to BHS. I would like you to ask Century and Mandan boys coaches what they feel about that...b/c everyone knows that people want to win in HS sports...and if there is a choice of where to live, WHICH THERE IS, parents want their children to go to successful programs.

Wanna know why Archambault went to BHS?  Because Steve Miller bought him an apartment to live in while he went to school there.  I know a lot of people that have been called and persuaded by BHS coaches to go there to play.  I know someone personally who goes there now and was called up numerous times to play there when they attended another school.  I know for a fact that many players that used to play for St. Mary's and a few from Century were called up to try and come to BHS, but they didnt fall for it. They wanted to stay loyal to their own school.  Im not also saying that Mandan recruits, because I dont have any facts on that.
Last edited by Ming01 on Sun Apr 02, 2006 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby NATURAL TALENT » Sun Apr 02, 2006 2:10 pm

Ashley Thunderhawk, who came to 4 Winds last year, from Standing Rock I believe, and lived with the Finleys also went to Mandan.

Heard a couple different things today from some people over at the Devils Lake Basketball tournament, not sure if true or not, but here is what i heard.

1.) That the NDHSAA is entertaining the thought of making transfers sit out a full year. This was brought up by a group of ND coaches....i guess.

2.) Mandan has a player who's parents drive her to school everyday from somewhere in SD, 90 miles one way. Again, This is just what i heard today in talking with people. Could be true, could be bogus.
NATURAL TALENT
NDPreps All-State

Postby bruins44 » Sun Apr 02, 2006 3:51 pm

Im glad Im not the only one that thinks recruiting is going on.... I would love to see the state HSAA stand up and put in a rule about tranfers... making them sit out a year might put a stop to it!
bruins44
NDPreps All-Conference

Next

Return to Girls