Mandan

Class A Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Mandan

Postby mandan pride » Thu May 21, 2009 2:03 pm

Regarding Coach Amundson leaving Mandan, the players were NOT told and obviously not the community who has supported this program over the years. What I don't understand is why this isn't breaking news in all the outlets, TV, radio, etc. - because if not for this website, I wouldn't have known about it and I live in Mandan and had a daughter that used to play basketball for Mandan.
mandan pride
NDPreps Rookie
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:08 am

Re: Mandan

Postby bbfollower » Thu May 21, 2009 4:38 pm

mandan pride wrote:Regarding Coach Amundson leaving Mandan, the players were NOT told and obviously not the community who has supported this program over the years. What I don't understand is why this isn't breaking news in all the outlets, TV, radio, etc. - because if not for this website, I wouldn't have known about it and I live in Mandan and had a daughter that used to play basketball for Mandan.


So, when Coach Amundson leaves, do you then think there will not be community support for the team? I myself am surprised too that this has not leaked out, but apparently there are some extremely tight lips. However, I don't think the community support for the team will quit.
bbfollower
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 145
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:18 am

Re: Mandan

Postby mandan pride » Thu May 21, 2009 8:42 pm

I didn't mean to imply that the community wouldn't be as supportive to a team without this coach, the Mandan people are wonderful and will continue to be no matter who coaches. Over the years it's been amazing how generous and supportive the townspeople and businesses have been, with all the fund raising that needed to be done for the off-season travel each and every summer to build the program. Much of credit goes to the coaches for the success the Mandan team has achieved, but without the community support, through fund raising, all the costly summer trips needed to gain that higher level of experience, would never have been possible.
mandan pride
NDPreps Rookie
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:08 am

Re: Mandan

Postby bbfollower » Fri May 22, 2009 6:24 am

mandan pride wrote:I didn't mean to imply that the community wouldn't be as supportive to a team without this coach, the Mandan people are wonderful and will continue to be no matter who coaches. Over the years it's been amazing how generous and supportive the townspeople and businesses have been, with all the fund raising that needed to be done for the off-season travel each and every summer to build the program. Much of credit goes to the coaches for the success the Mandan team has achieved, but without the community support, through fund raising, all the costly summer trips needed to gain that higher level of experience, would never have been possible.


So, what you are saying then is that he owes it to the community to let them know he is moving?

I agree, without the fundraising, these girls probably would not have been able to go to all the great places to gain experience that they did.
bbfollower
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 145
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:18 am

Re: Mandan

Postby mandan pride » Fri May 22, 2009 9:34 am

I'm just don't understand the local silence about the topic
mandan pride
NDPreps Rookie
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:08 am

Re: Mandan

Postby bbfollower » Fri May 22, 2009 10:57 am

I am surprised it has been kept a secret this long, especially since it will be such a juicy subject for other Class A towns to know about and start blogging and dissing Mandan.
bbfollower
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 145
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:18 am

Re: Mandan

Postby Baller » Fri May 22, 2009 11:02 am

bbfollower wrote:I am surprised it has been kept a secret this long, especially since it will be such a juicy subject for other Class A towns to know about and start blogging and dissing Mandan.



Where in this topic has Mandan been dissed? Also, Most of the posts in this topic have been from people from Mandan.
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
User avatar
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame
 
Posts: 1843
Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:40 pm
Location: Eastern North Dakota, ,

Re: Mandan

Postby bbfollower » Fri May 22, 2009 12:51 pm

I never claimed that Mandan had been dissed in this topic. I just simply said that this would be an opportunity for other people to start dissing Mandan, as I am sure it will happen. It happens when something good happens to them, so when this news gets out, I am sure there will be doubters of the team and such blogging on. It does not necessarily just happen on this site either. Just a fact of life.
bbfollower
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 145
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:18 am

Re: Mandan

Postby baseball » Fri May 22, 2009 1:06 pm

bbfollower wrote:
mandan pride wrote:Regarding Coach Amundson leaving Mandan, the players were NOT told and obviously not the community who has supported this program over the years. What I don't understand is why this isn't breaking news in all the outlets, TV, radio, etc. - because if not for this website, I wouldn't have known about it and I live in Mandan and had a daughter that used to play basketball for Mandan.


So, when Coach Amundson leaves, do you then think there will not be community support for the team? I myself am surprised too that this has not leaked out, but apparently there are some extremely tight lips. However, I don't think the community support for the team will quit.


ive always thought the same thing. why would the commmunity feel betrayed that he left? they supported the team, not the coach. atleast thats how it shouldve been. I gaurantee there will be just as many people at the games cheering on Mandan next year with or without Amundson.

let me ask..would the city be as upset if an assistant of 10+ years moved away?
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 4643
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2006 5:53 pm

Re: Mandan

Postby bbfollower » Fri May 22, 2009 4:02 pm

I think it is silly if anyone quits supporting the team just because Coach Amundson will be gone. Yes, we will definitely miss him, however, as I have stated before, if one of his assistants gets the job, for the most part I think they will be in very good hands. I certainly will not withdraw my support for the team, just as I didn't withdraw my support for the boys when they changed coaches. It is the end of an era and we all knew it would happen sometime.
bbfollower
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 145
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:18 am

Re: Mandan

Postby cd » Wed May 27, 2009 5:33 pm

I too can't figure out why it hasn't came out in the open - he is in Mpls. now so must be finalizing the deal. Greg doesn't really owe the community anything - the community owes him for doing what he has done for the girl's team and let everyone know where MANDAN, ND really was and recognized talent that is here. There remains a lot of talent in Mandan - they may not take state 6 times in a row again but they will be at state with their power. Greg has wanted to be closer to his family and grandchildren and apparently was awarded an opportunity to put his skills to work elsewhere. He will do another great job I am sure.

Just remains to be seen who takes over the reins.
cd
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 59
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:34 am

Re: Mandan

Postby cd » Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:38 pm

Sounds like it finally came out in the open that Amundson has announced that he is leaving. Don't know why it has been a secret but maybe there was good reason.
cd
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 59
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:34 am

Re: Mandan

Postby point/center » Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:07 am

MANDAN, N.D. – Mandan girls basketball coach offered job in Minn.

Amundson was in Minnesota on Thursday. A press conference is planned Monday.

Amundson has spent 29 years building Mandan into a North Dakota girls basketball power.

Earlier, he coached in New Town.

Amundson, who compiled a 569-191 record, has coached six North Dakota Miss Basketball winners, including his daughter Jaye.
only shot at NDpreps HOF: Veterans committee

moderator m/o:your moral compass

http://viewfromthecrowsnest.blogspot.com/
point/center
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 2159
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:26 am
Location: Cleveland (North Dakota)

Re: Mandan

Postby Home Run » Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:31 pm

Columbia Heights will prove to be a difficult challenge for any coach. I can't remember any successful girl teams from there in some time. In fact, they are 6 and 100 over the last four basketball seasons. Truly an uphill climb which needs someone of coach's credentials. I wish Coach the best of luck in his position if it is indeed Columbia Heights. For those who are interested, this is a 3A school in a four class system.
Home Run
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 78
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:31 pm

Re: Mandan - Amundson legacy

Postby NDVBBB » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:40 pm

As much as I cheered against Mandan Girls BB, I must say that I will miss seeing Amundson working his magic. I agree with a comment heard on 710 "The Fan" that 2008-2009 may have been one of Amundson's best coaching efforts - working without a true post and having only 1 returning starter. The power may shift away from Mandan, but the Mandan legacy will live on.

It will be interesting to hear how Amundson does with the rebuilding project in Columbia Heights. Losing Jeske, Meier, Ronderos, and now Amundon will change the feel of WDA girl's BB - it will definitely be a new experience. Good Luck, Greg Amundson. :D
User avatar
NDVBBB
NDPreps Reserve
 
Posts: 46
Joined: Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:00 pm
Location: USA

Re: Mandan

Postby scoobyx2 » Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:36 pm

It will be very interesting to see what direction Mandan goes with the coaching staff. I would think it would be a great opportunity to follow the boys program and bring in a new face to take over the program. Since it is a very well-known program, Mandan might be able to get some very strong experienced coaches to apply.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame
 
Posts: 1208
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:19 pm

Re: Mandan

Postby cd » Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:54 pm

What would be wrong with retaining the coaching staff that they have. My gosh Marv Pederson has coached beside Amundson for how many years and knows the style and what the girls expect out of a coach.
You are right, WDA ball will not be the same.
cd
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 59
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:34 am

Re: Mandan

Postby Eminence » Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:21 am

scoobyx2 wrote:It will be very interesting to see what direction Mandan goes with the coaching staff. I would think it would be a great opportunity to follow the boys program and bring in a new face to take over the program. Since it is a very well-known program, Mandan might be able to get some very strong experienced coaches to apply.


That is a good point. Coach Flaagan said "It's like replacing John Wooden and Red Auerbach". It will be interesting to what applicants they will get. Has anyone heard anything about the BHS girls job?
You miss 100% of all shots you don't take!
Eminence
NDPreps All-Conference
 
Posts: 454
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:57 am
Location: USA

Re: Mandan

Postby sekasum » Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:38 am

Think some things in his personal life played a role in this decision.
sekasum
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 67
Joined: Fri May 30, 2008 8:55 pm

Re: Mandan

Postby Raider08 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:31 am

Have they posted this as an open job position yet?
Raider08
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 51
Joined: Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:15 pm

Re: Mandan

Postby sekasum » Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:23 pm

I heard that Central, Washburn, Standing Rock, and all of the assts. are interested. Not sure Pederson is the right man though.
sekasum
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 67
Joined: Fri May 30, 2008 8:55 pm

Re: Mandan

Postby bbfollower » Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:22 am

sekasum wrote:I heard that Central, Washburn, Standing Rock, and all of the assts. are interested. Not sure Pederson is the right man though.


Just out of curiosity, why do you think that Marv would not make a good coach? Not being defensive, just curious.
bbfollower
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 145
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:18 am

Re: Mandan

Postby bbfollower » Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:23 am

Raider08 wrote:Have they posted this as an open job position yet?


Yes, the job has been posted.
bbfollower
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 145
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:18 am

Re: Mandan

Postby Eminence » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:03 am

Any word on the new coach?
You miss 100% of all shots you don't take!
Eminence
NDPreps All-Conference
 
Posts: 454
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:57 am
Location: USA

Re: Mandan

Postby mandanfanalso » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:11 am

The application deadline is July 15!
mandanfanalso
NDPreps Reserve
 
Posts: 41
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:03 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Girls

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests