Mandan

Class AA Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Mandan

Postby Baller » Mon May 11, 2009 10:07 am

Looks as though Greg Amundson is done in Mandan.

Greg Amundson of Mandan, ND has taken the Columbia Heights girls basketball job according to sources close to the scene. Mandan won six straight titles under Amundson.

http://www.kjasr.com/index.php?option=c ... Itemid=126
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Re: Mandan

Postby bbfollower » Mon May 11, 2009 5:16 pm

I am finding that a little difficult to believe, especially since Amundson is holding camps for the girls this summer, along with league.
bbfollower
NDPreps Starter

Postby Baller » Mon May 11, 2009 5:21 pm

Just posting what was published.

http://www.mandan.k12.nd.us/schoolboard ... tsminutes/

Check out the March 16th Board Minutes.
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby mandanfanalso » Mon May 11, 2009 8:41 pm

The minutes say he retired from teaching P.E. not basketball. I have a really hard time believing he would do this, but stranger things have happened.
mandanfanalso
NDPreps Reserve

Postby bbfollower » Mon May 11, 2009 9:09 pm

I talked to someone tonight who had talked to Coach and he had told them that he was going to retire, but still planning on coaching Mandan for a couple of more years. He might have had a change of heart, but I would have thought this would have hit the papers and/or news before now. Who knows though, like mandanfanalso said, stranger things have happened.
bbfollower
NDPreps Starter

Postby baseball » Mon May 11, 2009 9:09 pm

I havent been to a school board meeting before, or have I opened the minutes posted by Baller yet, but do they talk about athletics at the meetings? When I was in school they had a school board and a sports boosters, not sure on what the sports boosters group did. Maybe they only mentioned PE because that was a class for the school where as basketball isnt academic.
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby mandanfanalso » Mon May 11, 2009 9:44 pm

Maybe I am just trying to convince myself that this isn't true, but that is dated April 23. Don't you think we would have heard about this through the media by now?!
mandanfanalso
NDPreps Reserve

Postby eyeinthesky » Tue May 12, 2009 8:18 am

All I can add here is that when I spoke with coach A during the season his plan at that time was to retire from teaching this year and continue to coach for another one or two seasons. I am not sure if that is still his plan. I think he will eventually move to MN though when done coaching at Mandan.
eyeinthesky
NDPreps Starter

Postby bbfollower » Tue May 12, 2009 8:51 am

Unfortunately, I have just found out that this rumor is probably true. However, it hasn't been leaked out yet, so we'll have to just wait and see. The last I had heard though was that he had planned to stay a couple more years. However, plans can change.
bbfollower
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndlionsfan » Tue May 12, 2009 2:37 pm

baseball wrote:I havent been to a school board meeting before, or have I opened the minutes posted by Baller yet, but do they talk about athletics at the meetings? When I was in school they had a school board and a sports boosters, not sure on what the sports boosters group did. Maybe they only mentioned PE because that was a class for the school where as basketball isnt academic.

Sports boosters is usually just a group of parents or community members that raise funds for sports programs. Nothing to do with the school or hiring or coaches. School boards usually don't deal with the hiring of coaches either. Usually left up to the AD's, Supt, Prin, etc. to handle staffing issues.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby cd » Wed May 13, 2009 6:05 am

The school board minutes accepted his resignation and that is only from teaching- school board has nothing to do with hiring coaches so apparently someone doesn't understand the process. I had heard that Greg did apply to Minnesota and apparently he got it as the job list indicates. He did want to be nearer to his grandchildren so more power to him if this is what he chooses. Mandan will sure miss him but he has done wonders while here. His assistant Marv will probably be able to step up and take over the head coaching job and I am sure he will do a very good job also. Mandan has talent coming up and very dedicated players so GOOD LUCK in the future!

GREG you will be missed but GOOD LUCK to you in your new job.
cd
NDPreps Starter

Postby rock83 » Sat May 16, 2009 4:52 pm

the school board does hire the coaches as well as the teachers, you have some bad information.

cd wrote:The school board minutes accepted his resignation and that is only from teaching- school board has nothing to do with hiring coaches so apparently someone doesn't understand the process. I had heard that Greg did apply to Minnesota and apparently he got it as the job list indicates. He did want to be nearer to his grandchildren so more power to him if this is what he chooses. Mandan will sure miss him but he has done wonders while here. His assistant Marv will probably be able to step up and take over the head coaching job and I am sure he will do a very good job also. Mandan has talent coming up and very dedicated players so GOOD LUCK in the future!

GREG you will be missed but GOOD LUCK to you in your new job.

`1`
rock83
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flip » Sun May 17, 2009 1:11 am

cd wrote:I had heard that Greg did apply to Minnesota and apparently he got it as the job list indicates.

The University of MN?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby bbfollower » Sun May 17, 2009 7:08 am

No, a high school in Minnesota.
bbfollower
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flip » Sun May 17, 2009 1:50 pm

bbfollower wrote:No, a high school in Minnesota.

Any idea which one?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Baller » Sun May 17, 2009 5:10 pm

Columbia Heights
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Flip » Sun May 17, 2009 5:14 pm

Baller wrote:Columbia Heights

Wow! Just looked they were 1-26 last year.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Baller » Sun May 17, 2009 5:16 pm

Should be a fun challenge for him. The games weren't close either. I think Totina Grace beat them by 60 some? Maybe some will run the score up on him.
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby upnext » Sun May 17, 2009 5:23 pm

Successor who will it be??????
upnext
NDPreps Starter

Postby Baller » Sun May 17, 2009 5:27 pm

Marv...Or Goeke...They will be in good hands. Maybe not as dominate but will certainly compete year in and year out.
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby upnext » Sun May 17, 2009 5:30 pm

Anyone on staff at lower levels ready to make jump up to higher positions?
upnext
NDPreps Starter

Postby Baller » Tue May 19, 2009 3:34 pm

Girls BASKETBALL Camp
EARLY BIRD REGISTRATION … SAVE $10!
The new CHHS Girls Varsity Coach Greg Amundson
will lead participants through fundamentals and
techniques of the game. Instruction will be given on
shooting, offensive skills, passing, dribbling, free throws,
as well as other basketball skills.
Where: CH High School Gym
When: Monday, July 13 -
Thursday, July 16
Time: 9:00 a.m. - 12:00 noon
Who: Girls 3rd - 8th grade
Fee: Early Bird Special $30
After June 1, $40
Activity # 1595

http://www.ci.columbia-heights.mn.us/de ... summer.pdf
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Baller » Tue May 19, 2009 3:37 pm

Obviously this is true so why hasn't it come out in the papers yet? I was told he didn't want it to get out because his basketball camps wouldn't make as much money. If that is true then how selfish? I think he owes it to his players and the community to not have them find out on a website.
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby bbfollower » Tue May 19, 2009 5:23 pm

As of early last week, I had heard he didn't have the contract in his hands yet, so probably received it after that and it just has not gotten out to the media yet. I am sure it will soon though. I doubt that his camps would not make as much money since the girls want to play one way or another. He will definitely be missed, but I think that the girls will continue to have good leadership, especially if one of Greg's assistants gets the job.
bbfollower
NDPreps Starter

Postby balla45 » Tue May 19, 2009 5:44 pm

Baller wrote:Obviously this is true so why hasn't it come out in the papers yet? I was told he didn't want it to get out because his basketball camps wouldn't make as much money. If that is true then how selfish? I think he owes it to his players and the community to not have them find out on a website.

From what I understand, all of the girls knew. I think he just wanted to keep the story under wraps. The Mandan administrators, coaching staff, and players all knew. The community, I can't same the same for. However, I think Amundson has a reason for everything he does, and even if we don't know what his reason was, it is probably a good one.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Next

Return to Girls