Can anyone touch South?

Class AA Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Can anyone touch South?

Postby sportsguruguy » Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:08 pm

Can you say 9-1 and first in EDC!
sportsguruguy
NDPreps Starter

Postby teamramrod » Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:48 am

can you say the topic is about anyone touching south? clearly north can and wouldnt surprise me if red river or central beat them when they play again
teamramrod
NDPreps Reserve

Postby bruins44 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:12 pm

teamramrod wrote:can you say the topic is about anyone touching south? clearly north can and wouldnt surprise me if red river or central beat them when they play again

This topic started last year! not this year!
Yes there are a few teams that can beat South, its HS basketball, Did you know that 4 out of Souths 5 starters are underclassmen? 3 juniors and a soph in the starting lineup. 9-1 is pretty impressive at this stage if you ask me! North played their best game of the year shooting 50%. South shot 34% yet if South makes one of two freethrows with 5 seconds left they win, that should tell you somthing! South plays poor but still could have won! Teams will still have to play great to beat them. Getting that long EDC undefeated string off their backs will make them better.
bruins44
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby intensity » Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:04 pm

bruins44 wrote:
teamramrod wrote:can you say the topic is about anyone touching south? clearly north can and wouldnt surprise me if red river or central beat them when they play again

This topic started last year! not this year!
Yes there are a few teams that can beat South, its HS basketball, Did you know that 4 out of Souths 5 starters are underclassmen? 3 juniors and a soph in the starting lineup. 9-1 is pretty impressive at this stage if you ask me! North played their best game of the year shooting 50%. South shot 34% yet if South makes one of two freethrows with 5 seconds left they win, that should tell you somthing! South plays poor but still could have won! Teams will still have to play great to beat them. Getting that long EDC undefeated string off their backs will make them better.

Keep in mind North also could have sealed the game by making their freethrows just before that. South had an off night, but a lot of that had to do with North's defense, imo. They didn't give South a lot of open jump shots. On the other end of that, you can get a lot of open looks on South's zone if you know how to pass through it, which probably accounts for some of North's 50% shooting. Bismarck last year and Central this year both proved that with their 3 point shooting.
intensity
NDPreps Reserve

Postby jordan23 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:55 pm

how about taking away norths glroy from that game we talk about how much better north played last night than south!
jordan23
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Eminence » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:38 pm

I think it good that South loses a game early on so they can make adjustments. When it came to the State Tournament last, it hurt them. Competition is a good thing. Nothing wrong with losing a game if you have your eye on the prize and learn from the mistakes.
You miss 100% of all shots you don't take!
Eminence
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby football101 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:31 pm

South lost to Devils Lake by 10 tonight.
football101
NDPreps Starter

Postby bruins44 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:46 am

football101 wrote:South lost to Devils Lake by 10 tonight.

Meghan Roehrich the leading scorer in the state did not make the trip to DL... she has been sick since last Thursday, so you take 23 pts 6 rebounds and 5 assists off a South team that isnt very deep and this is what happens.
bruins44
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby EDC » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:56 am

It is amazing that South had this winning streak. Tons of credit to the South program. That said, I don’t think South will get much sympathy when one of their players get sick. It just makes the streak all that much more impressive. There is hope for the other teams come tournament time if a player or two from South gets sick or gets into foul trouble. I don't see South developing their bench much even if ahead late in the game. I am surprised with the student population advantage that South enjoys and with the quality of program South has that they are not very deep. What’s up with that?
You gotta believe
EDC
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Eminence » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:16 pm

They weren't deep last year either but they still won almost all of their games.
Eminence
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby 3Putt » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:17 pm

Eminence wrote:They weren't deep last year either but they still won almost all of their games.

IMO, if they had been a little deeper last year, they would have had a good chance to win all of their games. Did they play 6 or 7 in the championship game last year?
3Putt
NDPreps Starter

Postby scoobyx2 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:01 pm

3Putt wrote:
Eminence wrote:They weren't deep last year either but they still won almost all of their games.

IMO, if they had been a little deeper last year, they would have had a good chance to win all of their games. Did they play 6 or 7 in the championship game last year?

They weren't necessarily deeper on the bench last year. They had 5 starters who were All-EDC players, and this year (and please correct me) they have 2. Also, the competion in the EDC last year was almost non-existent. Things are changing there too. Last year, South didn't face a full-court press until State (according to the sports broadcasters). They didn't really need a bench.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Baller » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:41 pm

scoobyx2 wrote:
3Putt wrote:

They weren't necessarily deeper on the bench last year. They had 5 starters who were All-EDC players, and this year (and please correct me) they have 2. Also, the competion in the EDC last year was almost non-existent. Things are changing there too. Last year, South didn't face a full-court press until State (according to the sports broadcasters). They didn't really need a bench.

5 starters that were all conference minus two seniors = 2 all conferences players. 2 that were all state and 1 that will probably join them this year. Last year they had 3 Division 1 athletes. This year they have 2 although 1 more has the potential to join them.
The difference is the energy level without haring...I truely didnt believe that she was going to leave that big of a void but she has. This team only has one senior that plays and I Meghan is their obvious leader. Losses in January are going to help this team come march. Adjustments will be made and South will be fine.
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby sportsguruguy » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:53 am

Baller wrote:
scoobyx2 wrote:
3Putt wrote:

5 starters that were all conference minus two seniors = 2 all conferences players. 2 that were all state and 1 that will probably join them this year. Last year they had 3 Division 1 athletes. This year they have 2 although 1 more has the potential to join them.
The difference is the energy level without haring...I truely didnt believe that she was going to leave that big of a void but she has. This team only has one senior that plays and I Meghan is their obvious leader. Losses in January are going to help this team come march. Adjustments will be made and South will be fine.

I dont believe that haring had that big of an impact as you say. She was a very good high school athlete, no doubt about it, but IMO it all has to do with Katie Dockter this year. Coach F gave her alot of experience last year knowing that she was going to be a huge asset to his team this year. She came to the conclusion this year that she did not want to play as she wanted to save herself for track. IMO if coach f knew that I am sure he would have had more of his girls playing alot more varsity bball last year so they were deaper at the bench.
sportsguruguy
NDPreps Starter

Postby scoobyx2 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:48 am

sportsguruguy wrote:
Baller wrote:
scoobyx2 wrote:
3Putt wrote:

I dont believe that haring had that big of an impact as you say. She was a very good high school athlete, no doubt about it, but IMO it all has to do with Katie Dockter this year. Coach F gave her alot of experience last year knowing that she was going to be a huge asset to his team this year. She came to the conclusion this year that she did not want to play as she wanted to save herself for track. IMO if coach f knew that I am sure he would have had more of his girls playing alot more varsity bball last year so they were deaper at the bench.

I agree. Haring was an important part of the team, but more as a senior leader rather than a huge impact on the court. Dockter could have easily filled her role on the court. Flaagen is a good coach tho, and he will have South ready for tournament time.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Eminence » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:19 am

I think it has more to do with the fact that the East is stronger this year which actually helps Fargo South. It is not good for a team to beat everyone by a wide margin and then come state time, run into competition. As long as they improve and make corrections for the lost, it will actually help Fargo South come state.
Eminence
NDPreps All-Conference

Previous

Return to Girls