Best Sophmores!

Class AA Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Best Sophmores!

Postby mandanfanalso » Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:09 pm

I am obviously a Mandan fan; however, I have gained more and more respect for Steph Pedersen each game.
mandanfanalso
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Baller » Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:22 am

Megan Roehrich made a Fargo South school record 10 three pointers and scored the school record 34 points tonight vs. North.
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby bruins44 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:38 pm

Baller wrote:Megan Roehrich made a Fargo South school record 10 three pointers and scored the school record 34 points tonight vs. North.

Meghan was on fire! that was one of the best shooting displays I have ever seen in a HS girls basketball game! 10 - 15 from behind the arc! Alley Fisher also made 3 for a school record of 13 three point baskets... The funny thing about it was North stayed in a 2-3 zone and allowed South to keep making 3s, Why they didnt change defenses is beyond me!
bruins44
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby sportsguruguy » Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:15 am

Baller wrote:Megan Roehrich made a Fargo South school record 10 three pointers and scored the school record 34 points tonight vs. North.

WOW !!! That has to be a close to a state record too, if there is such a thing with 10 treys.This girl is going to have a bright future.
sportsguruguy
NDPreps Starter

Postby BBAngel » Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:39 pm

That would have been a great game to watch. I can't understand how she was left alone to sit out there and keep shooting??????
BBAngel
NDPreps Reserve

Postby scoobyx2 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:13 pm

mandanfanalso wrote:I am obviously a Mandan fan; however, I have gained more and more respect for Steph Pedersen each game.

She's a good player, but really needs to pick up her defense. In the BHS-Mandan game, with Collins out with foul trouble, nobody went out and stopped the 3 point shooters from BHS. If she could give Collins a little help, they could do very well tournament time.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby mandanfanalso » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:04 am

scoobyx2 wrote:
mandanfanalso wrote:I am obviously a Mandan fan; however, I have gained more and more respect for Steph Pedersen each game.

She's a good player, but really needs to pick up her defense. In the BHS-Mandan game, with Collins out with foul trouble, nobody went out and stopped the 3 point shooters from BHS. If she could give Collins a little help, they could do very well tournament time.

Now that you say that I completely agree with you. I think back to other games also and her defensive help would have been very beneficial to Mandan.
mandanfanalso
NDPreps Reserve

Postby sportsguruguy » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:06 am

mandanfanalso wrote:
scoobyx2 wrote:

Now that you say that I completely agree with you. I think back to other games also and her defensive help would have been very beneficial to Mandan.

She is averaging 4.5 steals per game . I never seen her play but the stats show her defense is pretty solid.What else can you ask for from a sophmore
sportsguruguy
NDPreps Starter

Postby Baller » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:21 am

sportsguruguy wrote:
mandanfanalso wrote:
scoobyx2 wrote:

She is averaging 4.5 steals per game . I never seen her play but the stats show her defense is pretty solid.What else can you ask for from a sophmore

I haven't seen her play either but from what I know about Mandan is that if you don't play defense, you dont play at all. Now you guys have seen her play and I respect that I am just surprised that she would play for Amundson if she was lacking defense.
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Eminence » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:40 am

I think was Scoobyx2 was referring to was the fact the BHS hit 9 3's on the perimeter and they were wide open. One BHS player actually had time to adjust her feet, spin the ball back to herself and aim and shot and there was no Mandan player near her.

Mandan's guards did a really poor job of covering BHS's perimeter and did not show the typical Mandan pressure. All of the 3's were uncontested. Mandan is a different team when Collins is out of the game. There is such a different level between her and the rest of the girls on the floor.
You miss 100% of all shots you don't take!
Eminence
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby sportsguruguy » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:51 am

Eminence wrote:I think was Scoobyx2 was referring to was the fact the BHS hit 9 3's on the perimeter and they were wide open. One BHS player actually had time to adjust her feet, spin the ball back to herself and aim and shot and there was no Mandan player near her.

Mandan's guards did a really poor job of covering BHS's perimeter and did not show the typical Mandan pressure. All of the 3's were uncontested. Mandan is a different team when Collins is out of the game. There is such a different level between her and the rest of the girls on the floor.

If what you are saying is true, it seems to me that mandan should have changed the defense up and not let the bhs gaurds sit behind the arc. Maybe you guys should put a little blame on the coaching staff instead of all the players
sportsguruguy
NDPreps Starter

Postby Eminence » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:04 pm

True, as fans we do not know what goes on behind the scene's. We just see a player wide open and I have only seen a few games this year. I think we are just saying it is not characteristic of Mandan teams.

I don't remember ever seeing a Mandan game in previous years that allowed so many wide open shots. I mean wide open, that one BHS girls actually spun the ball back to herself! Mandan was always known for their aggressive defense and on the BHS game, you only see it when Collins is on the floor.
You miss 100% of all shots you don't take!
Eminence
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby mandanfanalso » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:33 pm

sportsguruguy wrote:
mandanfanalso wrote:
scoobyx2 wrote:

I am by no means trying to criticize Steph Pedersen. Like I said, I have gained a lot of respect for her. I think it was said well when someone said Mandan is a different team when Ali Collins is off the court. I think Steph is a great player. I know she is young, but she would be the perfect person to pull the team together when Ali is in foul trouble. They need to find that person or people to create that swarm when Ali is not in the game.
mandanfanalso
NDPreps Reserve

Postby scoobyx2 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:45 pm

sportsguruguy wrote:
Eminence wrote:I think was Scoobyx2 was referring to was the fact the BHS hit 9 3's on the perimeter and they were wide open. One BHS player actually had time to adjust her feet, spin the ball back to herself and aim and shot and there was no Mandan player near her.

If what you are saying is true, it seems to me that mandan should have changed the defense up and not let the bhs gaurds sit behind the arc. Maybe you guys should put a little blame on the coaching staff instead of all the players

I don't there is any "blaming" here. The topic is "Best Sophomores", and we are discussing who is considered the best sophomores in the state. Pedersen is a good young player, but needs develop her instincts on defense to be considered one of the best. There are some things that coaches can't teach. The player just has to want to play D 100% of the time to be really good.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Previous

Return to Girls