Mandan at rock bottom?

Class AA Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Mandan at rock bottom?

Postby mandan pride » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:41 pm

The Mandan girls team will be challenged this year, but these girls have tournament and travel experience that is second to none. The team will grow strong and mesh as one unit building into March, much like last year. Pressure is nothing new there and most of this years team are no strangers to the belief that the pressure and experience are exactly the things that get your team to championships.
mandan pride
NDPreps Rookie

Postby Flip » Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:18 am

balla45 wrote:I have it from a reliable source, very reliable, that Collins is the number 34 player in the nation in some polls. I have not seen or searched for them, but I have heard this.

She's not listed on ESPN's top 100. Can't even find her name on their recruiting page, but I have noticed they are missing a lot of info their site.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby cornerback*22* » Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:09 pm

cdub1 wrote:
trackbbfan wrote:Mandan will again be strong...but, Century and Bismarck High will give them some good games. Century has a great junior class and the Demons have some athletes with Feeney leading.

2 things........collins..........coaching....enuff said

thats true, theres no way the mandan girls are ever out of it, last year people said the same thing and they walked through the state tourney and took it all.... collins is really really really good. But i think the east will win state this year
cornerback*22*

Postby Eminence » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:37 am

Who in the East do you think will beat - Century, Jamestown, BHS or even Mandan?
You miss 100% of all shots you don't take!
Eminence
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Baller » Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:10 am

Eminence wrote:Who in the East do you think will beat - Century, Jamestown, BHS or even Mandan?

South
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Eminence » Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:13 am

WHY?
Eminence
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Baller » Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:27 am

They really did not lose very much. The seniors that were lost were Anstad and Stroup. Weatherspoon and Lee will step in and fill those shoes as well as getting minutes from Dockter and Wellentin. I think that while not a huge offensive threat, Haring is probably the best defender in the state. Burck and Roerich round out the starting five. Fisher off the bench as well as Wald. Lee and Weatherspoon will start at the posts to start the season. Putting Dockter and Wellentin coming off the bench also. This team returns a lot of expreience after a third place finish at state and an undefeated EDC schedule and they are deep.

I think that their biggest downside is that the only team that may challenge them this year in the EDC is Central I do not think that will be much of one. When they get to post season play, I hope that they are able to play in a close game.
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Eminence » Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:09 pm

I disagree that they didn't lose much. Anstad and Stroup were their two top scorers. I don't think Weatherspoon and Lee will be able to fill their shoes that easily. I agree that one of their disadvantages is the fact that they will not have much competition to play against and without it, it will be tough to improve. Blowing teams out by 20 does not make your team better.

This team struggled against BHS's pressure in the quarterfinals. They cracked big time under the pressure. Let's face it, the teams in the West apply more pressure and have greater competition. The West plays a faster pace basketball. South won't experience any of that until State. I don't see South beating Jamestown (Lost last year to them) or BHS (Lost last year to them). Not to mention Century or even Mandan.

It will be tough for them to get in the top 4.
Eminence
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Baller » Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:18 pm

I am glad that we can have something to talk about this season...

I don't see BHS doing much this year without Gilbertson, Feeney, or Meier but you are right, they did not play well against them and cracked under pressure. I heard a South girls they "choked"

Century is tuff to read (South beat them last year)

Mandan is always tuff and I will never count them out

Jamestown lost too many role players and (South only lost by three last year and I think Jamestown was better last year)

This might be the year South breaks through I think that the girls are upset about their performance in last years state tournament and want to prove themselves. They will be very balances. The point averages are very deceiving as many girls didn't need to score very much but did when asked to.
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Eminence » Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:39 pm

True, that BHS lost alot but they still return 2 starter's: Sigl and Feeney. With a new coach also, I think they will struggle against some of the teams.

Century, will be a decent team with Buck, Sorenson, and Peterson. Their guards will have to pick up the pace to be a contendor and that's why I think they match up so well with Jamestown.

Jamestown lost their outside shooter and their point guard. I don't see anyone who will be able to step up into Hornung's place or hit the 3's like Schuchard. I think Century will beat them again.

Mandan lost Jensen, but still has Collins. They will be short on the post's but that's not Mandan's strength since Kelpenski left. I still pick them to win with Collins. I don't see anyone in the league that can hold her.

South is a contendor but I wouldn't under estimate the loss of Anstad and Stroup. They were very balanced last year but those players added alot to the balance. Weatherspoon is tall but without the drive, anyone can hold her. She doesn't pound it in and she doesn't have a lot of finese moves. She's not very aggressive. Lee is only 5'10 and I don't see her dominating Buck-Century or Ramlo-Jamestown.

South vrs Jamestown/Century: Jamestown post are better, stronger and will score on south. South has better guards with Burck. Close game but I think Jamestown will win unless South figures out how to press and push the ball. Typically, South will slow it up and try to pound it in. I don't see them beating Jamestown or Century with that style of ball.

South vrs BHS/Mandan: Neither teams are stong in the post. Definetly decided by the guards. I think South will take BHS because they had so much turnover and a new coach but definetly cannot match up to the pressure of Mandan. I don't see anyone on South's team holding Collins.

What do you think?
Eminence
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby SDHoops » Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:41 pm

I was one of the ones who said Mandan would win their sixth title at the beginning of last season. I also knew what they had coming back and they were a very balanced team, not to mention they carried a lot of the load when Kielpinksi was out with foul trouble. This season you lose four of your five starters plus your top three bench players. If you have Paige Jensen back, Mandan is still in the discussion. Remember folks, they struggled this past season even WITH the all those great players. Just imagine the season without them. I like the faith and enthusiasm that some have but lets get real. Ali Collins can't do it by herself. It's easier to get in the lane and score when your only part of the equation. When teams are tripple teaming you and there is basically no other option, then what? I predict Mandan will struggle just to get to the state tournament this year, if they do then they will have a hard time just making it out of the first round. They will have to play good during the season to get a good seed for the WDA tournament.
SDHoops
NDPreps Starter

Postby Eminence » Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:46 pm

How do you sell out a team by playing with ECI? Then all of the ECI players sold out their team. Get real! :roll: Every year they say that about Mandan!! You sound like an insider gone sour.

For the rest of us, look at how BAD they were at the beginning of last year and where they ended up. Collins was the reason they made it to state. Amundson probably has 10 other girls on the bench that could have replaced the 4 other starters out there!
Eminence
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Eminence » Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:59 pm

I see SD Hoops, you edited your comments about Collins. It obviously showed your true colors!!
ANYWAY, we were discussing SOUTH matching up to the teams in the WEST!
Eminence
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby cdub1 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:50 pm

SDHoops wrote:I was one of the ones who said Mandan would win their sixth title at the beginning of last season. I also knew what they had coming back and they were a very balanced team, not to mention they carried a lot of the load when Kielpinksi was out with foul trouble. This season you lose four of your five starters plus your top three bench players. If you have Paige Jensen back, Mandan is still in the discussion. Remember folks, they struggled this past season even WITH the all those great players. Just imagine the season without them. I like the faith and enthusiasm that some have but lets get real. Ali Collins can't do it by herself. It's easier to get in the lane and score when your only part of the equation. When teams are tripple teaming you and there is basically no other option, then what? I predict Mandan will struggle just to get to the state tournament this year, if they do then they will have a hard time just making it out of the first round. They will have to play good during the season to get a good seed for the WDA tournament.

bulletin board material

id rather die like a man than live like a coward becuz a coward dies a thousand deaths
cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Baller » Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:21 pm

cdub1 wrote:
SDHoops wrote:I was one of the ones who said Mandan would win their sixth title at the beginning of last season. I also knew what they had coming back and they were a very balanced team, not to mention they carried a lot of the load when Kielpinksi was out with foul trouble. This season you lose four of your five starters plus your top three bench players. If you have Paige Jensen back, Mandan is still in the discussion. Remember folks, they struggled this past season even WITH the all those great players. Just imagine the season without them. I like the faith and enthusiasm that some have but lets get real. Ali Collins can't do it by herself. It's easier to get in the lane and score when your only part of the equation. When teams are tripple teaming you and there is basically no other option, then what? I predict Mandan will struggle just to get to the state tournament this year, if they do then they will have a hard time just making it out of the first round. They will have to play good during the season to get a good seed for the WDA tournament.

bulletin board material

He just got off the bandwagon because Marlee is gone..
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby balla45 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:37 pm

I don't remember, but didn't they only lose 2 games to North Dakota teams? If so, they didn't really struggle. The BHS boy's team did the same thing, and people say they dominated.

Ali Collins doesn't have to do it by herself. Zander, Levi, Sandau, Helmers, Pedersen, and Helmers aren't exactly slouches.

You are forgetting one part of the equation. The best coach in North Dakota Girl's Basketball history, Mr. Greg Amundson.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby cornerback*22* » Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:29 pm

balla45 wrote:

I don't remember, but didn't they only lose 2 games to North Dakota teams? If so, they didn't really struggle. The BHS boy's team did the same thing, and people say they dominated.

Ali Collins doesn't have to do it by herself. Zander, Levi, Sandau, Helmers, Pedersen, and Helmers aren't exactly slouches.

You are forgetting one part of the equation. The best coach in North Dakota Girl's Basketball history, Mr. Greg Amundson.

did CBS do a news thing on their whole season last year?
cornerback*22*

Postby SDHoops » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:49 pm

FYI, I was a fan of Mandan before Marlee even enrolled in school there. I never said I disliked Mandan and I am still a fan. I'm just saying, I'm realistic. Okay but I will be like the rest of you guys to make you happy. Mandan will dominate Class "A" once again and win their "Lucky #7" title. They will beat the second place team in the state by 39 points, have four players on the all-tournament team and three players on the all-state team. I thought the whole point of posting on here was for discussion. I don't see the mods. getting upset. Why? Because I am following my own opinion. Ali is the best player in the state this year hands down, I just thought that she should have been more committed to her team more in the summer but she wasn't obligated to in any way so that's fine. If the other girls are losing to Class "B" school in South Dakota in summer tournaments like the Twin Cities Classic, I seriously doubt they are going to be doing any drubbing of ND's top "A" teams. But Baller and cdub1, I am wrong and Mandan will finish #1 in USA Today's National Top 25 poll. Go Mandan go!
SDHoops
NDPreps Starter

Postby cdub1 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:51 pm

SDHoops wrote:FYI, I was a fan of Mandan before Marlee even enrolled in school there. I never said I disliked Mandan and I am still a fan. I'm just saying, I'm realistic. Okay but I will be like the rest of you guys to make you happy. Mandan will dominate Class "A" once again and win their "Lucky #7" title. They will beat the second place team in the state by 39 points, have four players on the all-tournament team and three players on the all-state team. I thought the whole point of posting on here was for discussion. I don't see the mods. getting upset. Why? Because I am following my own opinion. Ali is the best player in the state this year hands down, I just thought that she should have been more committed to her team more in the summer but she wasn't obligated to in any way so that's fine. If the other girls are losing to Class "B" school in South Dakota in summer tournaments like the Twin Cities Classic, I seriously doubt they are going to be doing any drubbing of ND's top "A" teams. But Baller and cdub1, I am wrong and Mandan will finish #1 in USA Today's National Top 25 poll. Go Mandan go!

whoa i jus said bulletin board material i didnt say anything about havin an opinion

id rather die like a man than live like a coward becuz a coward dies a thousand deaths
cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby balla45 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:53 pm

SDHoops wrote:FYI, I was a fan of Mandan before Marlee even enrolled in school there. I never said I disliked Mandan and I am still a fan. I'm just saying, I'm realistic. Okay but I will be like the rest of you guys to make you happy. Mandan will dominate Class "A" once again and win their "Lucky #7" title. They will beat the second place team in the state by 39 points, have four players on the all-tournament team and three players on the all-state team. I thought the whole point of posting on here was for discussion. I don't see the mods. getting upset. Why? Because I am following my own opinion. Ali is the best player in the state this year hands down, I just thought that she should have been more committed to her team more in the summer but she wasn't obligated to in any way so that's fine. If the other girls are losing to Class "B" school in South Dakota in summer tournaments like the Twin Cities Classic, I seriously doubt they are going to be doing any drubbing of ND's top "A" teams. But Baller and cdub1, I am wrong and Mandan will finish #1 in USA Today's National Top 25 poll. Go Mandan go!

I see where you are coming from, however Ali wasn't going to get better playing against Class B South Dakota teams. She got better playing against better players, and her team got used to having to play without her. In the long run, I think that will help them. If she would have been there are summer to score 40 points a game against Class B teams, I don't think her teammates would have improved as much as they did.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby Baller » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:54 pm

Don't attack me..I am not a Mandan fan. I just thought it was funny how you went from Mandan is AWESOME and Marlee Finley is a Goddess to oh my goodness they are going to be crappy in a heartbeat.

i think Mandan will get beat, I am just not willing to count them out very easily. You can have your opinion and my opinion is bandwagon.
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Eminence » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:21 am

Well that makes sense why SD Hoops started this whole topic. Marlee was not the reason Mandan has 6 straight titles. Amundson's program is the reason! Get over it SD Hoops. Marlee only transfered to Mandan her last 2 years for a trophy, which she got.

How does South match up to Mandan?
Eminence
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby bbfollower » Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:33 am

I also do believe that SDHoops just wrote bulletin board material. It is also fuel for the fire under Mandan's girls. I think they will be very good for quite awhile. The coach, desire of the girls and the feeder program will help out with that.
bbfollower
NDPreps Starter

Postby EastGuruWannabe » Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:15 pm

Eminence wrote:True, that BHS lost alot but they still return 2 starter's: Sigl and Feeney. With a new coach also, I think they will struggle against some of the teams.

Century, will be a decent team with Buck, Sorenson, and Peterson. Their guards will have to pick up the pace to be a contendor and that's why I think they match up so well with Jamestown.

Jamestown lost their outside shooter and their point guard. I don't see anyone who will be able to step up into Hornung's place or hit the 3's like Schuchard. I think Century will beat them again.

Mandan lost Jensen, but still has Collins. They will be short on the post's but that's not Mandan's strength since Kelpenski left. I still pick them to win with Collins. I don't see anyone in the league that can hold her.

South is a contendor but I wouldn't under estimate the loss of Anstad and Stroup. They were very balanced last year but those players added alot to the balance. Weatherspoon is tall but without the drive, anyone can hold her. She doesn't pound it in and she doesn't have a lot of finese moves. She's not very aggressive. Lee is only 5'10 and I don't see her dominating Buck-Century or Ramlo-Jamestown.

South vrs Jamestown/Century: Jamestown post are better, stronger and will score on south. South has better guards with Burck. Close game but I think Jamestown will win unless South figures out how to press and push the ball. Typically, South will slow it up and try to pound it in. I don't see them beating Jamestown or Century with that style of ball.

South vrs BHS/Mandan: Neither teams are stong in the post. Definetly decided by the guards. I think South will take BHS because they had so much turnover and a new coach but definetly cannot match up to the pressure of Mandan. I don't see anyone on South's team holding Collins.

What do you think?

Ahh, did you actually watch south play last season? South's fullcourt pressure and fast breaking was the key to their success. Teams that stayed with south were the teams that took them OUT OF their running game. South pressed every game and their great guard play - at least 4 deep - was and will continue to be their bread and butter. Did you watch the semi final vs bhs last march? yes the bruins did fall behind big early, but how did they get back in the game? it wasn't by slowing it down and trying to pound it into the posts, it was by pressuring the demon players into a faster pace. i look for a repeat perfomance this season from south - great guard play that will pressure teams until the game is securely in hand. slowing it down and trying to pound it inside is a last resort. go look at their scores from last year - 100, 92, 88, 85, couple 83's and a crapload of scores in the 70's. You don't get those kind of numbers by "slowing it up". :roll:
EastGuruWannabe
NDPreps Starter

Postby trackbbfan » Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:19 pm

BHS comes to play South on December 6th. Should be fun!
trackbbfan
NDPreps Starter

PreviousNext

Return to Girls