story on AP

Class AA Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

story on AP

Postby point/center » Tue Dec 25, 2007 6:44 am

from the Devils Lake Journal

One of life’s hard lessons: Devils Lake girls basketball standout Ashley Privratsky focusing on rebuilding knee, college

By Mike Bellmore - Features Editor
DLHS basketball player Ashley Privratsky is pictured with her father and coach, Scott Privratsky.

In the first minute of her senior season of girls basketball, Devils Lake standout Ashley Privratsky planted her foot for a shot in the season-opener at Bismarck St. Mary’s and she felt a ‘pop’ in her knee.

“I knew I wasn’t squared up to the basket very well and when it happened, I knew something was wrong,’’ Ashley recalled last week. “The trainer had me do a few things and I tried to go back in, but it just wouldn’t work.’’

The news spread quickly. An All-Stater and strong Miss Basketball candidate was sidelined for the season. And because of her sterling reputation as a highy-skilled, dedicated and hard-working basketball player, the response has been overwhelming.

She’s gotten e-mails and well-wishes from nearly every corner of the state and beyond. Through the early stages of the season, opposing teams have presented her with flowers, trinkets and gifts as a sign of their respect and admiration.

“I just couldn’t plant and turn,’’ Ashley added. “I had never had knee trouble before so it was shocking.’’

It was a sudden, shocking and stunning end to a senior season with so many hopes and dreams. And the end of a high school career that was among the state’s best ever.

Last year Ashley was a key player on her team that finished second in the State Class A Tournament to powerhouse Mandan, her school’s first berth in the championship game since 1987.

This year the expectations perhaps weren’t quite as high, but she was hopeful. So was her dad, Scott, who is the school’s head coach this season.

“She worked so hard all summer and fall,’’ Scott said rather ruefully. “I think she dribbled her first ball at the age of one or two, so it’s tough to end this way. She grew up with a ball, and I was by her side all those years.’’

The Privratsky family van has over 200,000 miles on it, and many of those miles were accumulated in trips to girls basketball camps and tournaments virtually all over the nation. It carried Ashley and a lot of her friends and teammates.

This year the elder Privratsky felt his girls could have been competitive with Ashley. The Firebirds hung right with many of the state’s larger schools in summer team camps and tournaments.

Miss Basketball was a goal and a distinct possibility. But all the coulda’s, shoulda’s and maybe’s are irrevelant now. The hard part is sitting and watching.

“There were a lot of tears that first week, but we made a vow not to talk about it anymore,’’ Scott smiled. “Now we’re looking for a silver lining and dealing with adversity and one of life’s lessons.’’

“It’s tough to sit and watch games and practice because Ashley wanted to lead by example. We’re shifting the focus to the surgery now, the rehab and a successful recovery to get ready for next year in college.’’

Surgery is planned for sometime in January.

Ashley has already signed a letter of intent to play at the University of North Dakota in Grand Forks.

(For a copy of this Sports story see the Monday, December 24, 2007 Journal) 12/24/07
only shot at NDpreps HOF: Veterans committee

moderator m/o:your moral compass

http://viewfromthecrowsnest.blogspot.com/
point/center
NDPreps Legend

Return to Girls