Game of the Week

Class AA Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Game of the Week

Postby dgfsuperfan1 » Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:37 pm

I went over to Fargo to watch the FSh vs Moorhead game. Jacobsons shot is unreal. Her three points were well behind the three point line. Her number of three point shots made was down. I think because of the time clock but even when someone fronted her she made the shots. Beautiful arc on the ball. Awsome to watch. It was suprising that the only girl to make a three pointer for south was their post and they had her play outside most of the night. But it was the old fashioned free throws that hurt South. Moorhead made theirs. South didn't.The game was very entertaining. No problems with refs. They made some bad calls but they went both ways so it evened out. It was fun to watch talented girls on both side play. To be a ND state contender South have to find an outside shooter and they need to be able ot close out a close game. In my humble opinion, the FSH coach tried too use freshman in clutch times and the freshman could not handle it. It is supprising that he used three freshman during the game when he has several junior and seniors on the bench. Those freshman will have a great futures but two of the three cost them at crucial times.

Shanley will be hard for FSH to beat on 1-11-08, unless FSH can start making free throws and find someone to hit an outside shot. They rely alot defensive take aways and driving to the basket for points. If Shanley handles the FSH press well they will win. So Jackson needs to step up for Shanley.
dgfsuperfan1

Postby EDC » Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:57 pm

I don't expect South to press much man to man instead South will use their zone traps half and full court so you have to pass the ball and just not dribble into traps. I would be surprised after all these years that Shanley would have much trouble with the press and in fact probably welcomes it. A few years back South could count on Shanley having 30 some turnovers against their press. Hopefully, those days are over.
You gotta believe
EDC
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby dgfsuperfan1 » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:29 pm

EDC wrote:I don't expect South to press much man to man instead South will use their zone traps half and full court so you have to pass the ball and just not dribble into traps. I would be surprised after all these years that Shanley would have much trouble with the press and in fact probably welcomes it. A few years back South could count on Shanley having 30 some turnovers against their press. Hopefully, those days are over.

Good points. When I watched south in jamestown they did well when they forced turnovers on defense and entered the ball to their post. When jamestown adjusted fsh fell behind. Against moorhead they forced turnovers for easy baskets but did a poor job of entering the ball to their post. stroup got most of her points on fast breaks and drives to the basket. I think they tried entering the ball to anstett just a few times even when she was posted up solid. To me it appears their guards are timid passers and look to drive to the basket first.
dgfsuperfan1

Postby dgfsuperfan1 » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:31 pm

Does anyone have opinions on the Shanley/FSH game next friday? I am going to it. Should be a fun night. My neighbor says that it is a double header for boys and girls and the fm acro teams are going to perform.
dgfsuperfan1

Postby bruins44 » Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:10 am

dgfsuperfan1 wrote:I went over to Fargo to watch the FSh vs Moorhead game. Jacobsons shot is unreal. Her three points were well behind the three point line. Her number of three point shots made was down. I think because of the time clock but even when someone fronted her she made the shots. Beautiful arc on the ball. Awsome to watch. It was suprising that the only girl to make a three pointer for south was their post and they had her play outside most of the night. But it was the old fashioned free throws that hurt South. Moorhead made theirs. South didn't.The game was very entertaining. No problems with refs. They made some bad calls but they went both ways so it evened out. It was fun to watch talented girls on both side play. To be a ND state contender South have to find an outside shooter and they need to be able ot close out a close game. In my humble opinion, the FSH coach tried too use freshman in clutch times and the freshman could not handle it. It is supprising that he used three freshman during the game when he has several junior and seniors on the bench. Those freshman will have a great futures but two of the three cost them at crucial times.

Shanley will be hard for FSH to beat on 1-11-08, unless FSH can start making free throws and find someone to hit an outside shot. They rely alot defensive take aways and driving to the basket for points. If Shanley handles the FSH press well they will win. So Jackson needs to step up for Shanley.

Your right South lost the game at the freethrow line, missing 13 in a close game does not help. as far as using three freshman, one plays alot and the other two are the best players on the JV, do you ever watch the JV games, both of the freshman lead that team in most catagories... I have been to most South games, the juniors on the bench that didnt play are not varsity caliber players and the senior that didnt play would have really struggled with Moorheads man to man, which is why South didnt shoot many or well from the 3 pt line. The Fisher girl lights it up in the JV games and needs to get varsity time, she could be the player they need to make some 3's. They do rely way to much on their defense creating points for them and will have to shoot better from the perimiter to compete at State. It was a great game to watch, both Moorhead and South are good teams...
if South had Shanleys schedule they would be undefeated too, the Bruins schedule has been way tougher than Shanleys with Crookston the only decent team Shanley has played and they played them with out Crookstons best player.
bruins44
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby EDC » Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:53 am

quote="dgfsuperfan1"]Does anyone have opinions on the Shanley/FSH game next friday? I am going to it. Should be a fun night. My neighbor says that it is a double header for boys and girls and the fm acro teams are going to perform

One game at a time. Shanley plays Valley City tomorrow. Need to get past VC first. The South/Shanley game will be fun. It's the game that you look forward to. Just hope that South shows some hospitality to their guests next Friday.

As far as South playing freshmen. What better time then now if you think they can help by year end. Especially in a non-conference game. Fisher seems like a mature freshman with the skills and mentality needed to be a good player. I would give Flagen the benefit of the doubt about who he has playing.

DGFsuperfan - would you still go to the games if the acro team wasn't performing?

Stats are finally posted on the EDC web site. Some interesting stuff.
You gotta believe
EDC
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby dgfsuperfan1 » Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:03 pm

EDC wrote:quote="dgfsuperfan1"]Does anyone have opinions on the Shanley/FSH game next friday? I am going to it. Should be a fun night. My neighbor says that it is a double header for boys and girls and the fm acro teams are going to perform

One game at a time. Shanley plays Valley City tomorrow. Need to get past VC first. The South/Shanley game will be fun. It's the game that you look forward to. Just hope that South shows some hospitality to their guests next Friday.

As far as South playing freshmen. What better time then now if you think they can help by year end. Especially in a non-conference game. Fisher seems like a mature freshman with the skills and mentality needed to be a good player. I would give Flagen the benefit of the doubt about who he has playing.

DGFsuperfan - would you still go to the games if the acro team wasn't performing?

Yes I would go anyway. It is easy for me to get to North and South games. I am also planning to go to the Shanley/Valley City game before I head back up to watch NDSU play. FM area is great if you like basketball. Lots of high schools and colleges within easy driving.

Also, the acro team is an added bonus.
dgfsuperfan1

Postby dgfsuperfan1 » Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:14 pm

EDC wrote:quote="dgfsuperfan1"]Does anyone have opinions on the Shanley/FSH game next friday? I am going to it. Should be a fun night. My neighbor says that it is a double header for boys and girls and the fm acro teams are going to perform

Question regarding the EDC stats. Are they only for conference games or the entire schedule. See Bruins44 comment comparing shanley and fsh schedules.

Also, what do you mean by hospitality?
dgfsuperfan1

Postby EDC » Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:49 pm

EDC stats are for all games. South has played a tougher schedule than Shanley. I joke with Bruins44 about what it means to lose to higher ranked teams. Hospitality comment is in fun also - as in hoping South takes it easy with Shanley and gives Shanley a chance to keep it to a 20 point South win.
You gotta believe
EDC
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby roughrider125 » Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:09 am

I know Valley is not good but how did SHS look tonight I haven't even seen a score yet.
Doctors and scientists said that breaking the four-minute mile was impossible, that one would die in the attempt. Thus, when I got up from the track after collapsing at the finish line, I figured I was dead.
~Roger Bannister (After becoming the first person to break the four-minute mile, 1952)
roughrider125
NDPreps Starter

Postby dgfsuperfan1 » Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:26 am

roughrider125 wrote:I know Valley is not good but how did SHS look tonight I haven't even seen a score yet.

Very good. Jackson impressed me with her improved shooting and confidence. They ran the court well. The big girls have improved over last year and have nice shooting abilities. They are all played with a lot of confidence and maturity. They look like they love playing together.
dgfsuperfan1

Postby EastGuruWannabe » Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:22 am

EastGuruWannabe wrote:
Ol_Husky wrote:The top four in the West are matched up this week:

- Mandan @ Bismarck, Jan 3
- Jamestown @ Dickinson, Jan 5

Predictions:
Bismarck 61 - Mandan 52
Jamestown 55 - Dickinson 42

check back in a week, i'm sure these will be spot on :roll:

Actual: :D
Bismarck 74 - Mandan 64
Jamestown 54 - Dickinson 40

Now for my next trick: Fargo South 58 - Shanley 53, again, check back in a week :wink:
EastGuruWannabe
NDPreps Starter

Postby Carl08 » Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:16 pm

I think Shanley beats a young South team but it will be close 65 - 60
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
Emo Philips
Carl08
NDPreps Starter

Postby bballfan1 » Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:19 pm

SHS over FSH 60-50 :?
bballfan1
NDPreps Starter

Postby EDC » Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:02 pm

I predict a 13-15 point spread in the South / Shanley game. I am concerned about the team rebounding for Shanley - not everybody boxes out everytime. Concerned that the opponents are getting too many open shots. Last year the players were hounded to play hard on defense every play. The kids don't seem to be as motivated this year and are giving up more points . Shanley has the talent to be very good. Can they put it all together? Another game that I find interesting is the South / Devils Lake game on Jan 18th. I was wrong about my preseason negative thoughts on DL. DL has a good group of kids that have stepped forward. DL might just make it to state and have given teams more than they bargained for. It will be interesting to me to see how much DL has improved since playing Shanley and beating WF.
You gotta believe
EDC
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby EDC » Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:02 pm

What are your thoughts Bruin44:)
You gotta believe
EDC
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby bruins44 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:18 pm

EDC wrote:What are your thoughts Bruin44:)

I think it is a toss up, Shanleys inside threats against Souths pressure defense and perimiter play. Shanley has a huge advantage in the paint, with the big three but if South can rebound and limit the Deacons to one shot, the bruins have a good chance to win, South is better out front, with Burck, Haring and Rohrich... I am not going to pick a winner but whoever wins has an upper hand at winning the conference. As you remember last year the Deacons won both regular season games on their way to the EDC title, but the Bruins won in the Championship game at the East Region tournament. This will be the first of possibly 4 games between the two Southside schools. Good luck to both teams.
bruins44
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby EDC » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:38 pm

bruins44 wrote:
EDC wrote:What are your thoughts Bruin44:)

I think it is a toss up, Shanleys inside threats against Souths pressure defense and perimiter play. Shanley has a huge advantage in the paint, with the big three but if South can rebound and limit the Deacons to one shot, the bruins have a good chance to win, South is better out front, with Burck, Haring and Rohrich... I am not going to pick a winner but whoever wins has an upper hand at winning the conference. As you remember last year the Deacons won both regular season games on their way to the EDC title, but the Bruins won in the Championship game at the East Region tournament. This will be the first of possibly 4 games between the two Southside schools. Good luck to both teams.

Oh yea - the EDC championship game last year. Sigh! I also want to wish both teams good luck.
You gotta believe
EDC
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby dgfsuperfan1 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:34 pm

Jamestown loss makes this game even more interesting. The number two ranking may be on the line for Shanley?
dgfsuperfan1

Postby bballfan1 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:07 pm

I would definitely agree that if Shanley wins, especially if it is a convincing win, they will have the #2 ranking the the state...I'm very excited to go watch this game on Friday!
bballfan1
NDPreps Starter

Postby dgfsuperfan1 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:29 pm

EastGuruWannabe wrote:
EastGuruWannabe wrote:
Ol_Husky wrote:The top four in the West are matched up this week:

- Mandan @ Bismarck, Jan 3
- Jamestown @ Dickinson, Jan 5

Predictions:
Bismarck 61 - Mandan 52
Jamestown 55 - Dickinson 42

check back in a week, i'm sure these will be spot on :roll:

Actual: :D
Bismarck 74 - Mandan 64
Jamestown 54 - Dickinson 40

Now for my next trick: Fargo South 58 - Shanley 53, again, check back in a week :wink:

Not bad you are very close! Final South 63 Shanley 52
dgfsuperfan1

Postby EDC » Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:55 pm

Shanley got spanked by South. Congratulations to South!
You gotta believe
EDC
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby dgfsuperfan1 » Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:15 pm

It was a fun night at the south gym last friday. Was anyone suprised by how well stroup and anstett did against the shanley big three? The south front court played very well as expected. It was fun to see shanley's paulson and fsh's anstett shoot the threes. Nice to see some big girls that know how to shoot from the outside.

And yes I did enjoy watching the fm acro teams perform!
dgfsuperfan1

Postby dgfsuperfan1 » Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:18 pm

Looks like Red River is going to have an interesting week. The have Crookston on the 15th and Shanley the 18th. Any comments

Also, Bismarck and Century meet on the 17th. Can Century pull our another upset?
dgfsuperfan1

Postby bruins44 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:59 am

/quote]
dgfsuperfan1 wrote:Looks like Red River is going to have an interesting week. The have Crookston on the 15th and Shanley the 18th. Any comments

Also, Bismarck and Century meet on the 17th. Can Century pull our another upset?

Red RIver also plays South next Tuesday Jan 22nd, so they go Crookston,Shanley,South, back to back to back... I guess we will see if Red River is for real.
bruins44
NDPreps All-Conference

PreviousNext

Return to Girls