New Minot coach

Class AA Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

New Minot coach

Postby go maji » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:41 pm

Now that there's gonna be a new head coach in Minot, any chance to lure Greg Amundson away from Centennial?

-I can dream can't I?

I'll give you my reasons if you ask. (Other than the obvious ones)
go maji
NDPreps All-State

Re: New Minot coach

Postby scoobyx2 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:53 am

I would love to see Amundson come back to any Class A school in ND. The level of competition in coaching and program building across the state dropped dramatically after he left.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby go maji » Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:49 pm

What most people don't know about Amundson, is that he actually went to highschool at Minot High and college at Minot State. He's also my uncle (on my moms side). He actually watched the webcast of the "A" championship game and called my dad afterward to congratulate them on the runner-up finish. He even visits my grandma up here in Minot a couple of times a year.

His team this year, Centennial, lost by 17 points in the 1st round even though they were ranked second in their class.
go maji
NDPreps All-State

Postby oldman » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:37 am

Any idea who will interview? Are any assistants interested?
oldman
NDPreps Reserve

Postby go maji » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:37 am

oldman wrote:Any idea who will interview? Are any assistants interested?

Joel Lawson was interested (assistant). Honestly, I hope they go out of the system because they've basically been doing the same stuff for the past 30 years and it has to change. They need a new voice in the lockerroom.
go maji
NDPreps All-State

Postby oldman » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:27 am

Do you know if the opening has been advertised? You would think coaches would be lining up for that job, they are loaded for next year. Are there any other sophs besides Askvig that could contribute next year?
oldman
NDPreps Reserve

Postby go maji » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:53 am

oldman wrote:Do you know if the opening has been advertised? You would think coaches would be lining up for that job, they are loaded for next year. Are there any other sophs besides Askvig that could contribute next year?

I read that all options are open, but the AD said the assistants will be first in line.

This past year the sophomore team finished second in the WDA behind Century. There is one sophomore, her name is Anika Arnold. She's 6'0", and may be the toughest player on varsity next year. She could be a dominating force with Askvig.
go maji
NDPreps All-State

Postby oldman » Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:36 am

Ok, I see Arnold played in 9 varsity games . I don't remember seeing her. Will be interesting to see who they hire.
oldman
NDPreps Reserve

Postby rekcats1 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:28 am

Are there going to be new girls coaches in Minot, Mandan & Dickinson? Anywhere else? Any word on any prospects for any of the open positions?
rekcats1
NDPreps Reserve

Postby go maji » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:56 pm

rekcats1 wrote:Are there going to be new girls coaches in Minot, Mandan & Dickinson? Anywhere else? Any word on any prospects for any of the open positions?

Bernie Wasser was hired by Minot a couple of weeks ago from Montana.

This is a great hire that will whip the players into shape. IMO They've had it too easy for too long.
He won 3 state championships in Montana. (2 boys, 1 girls)

Another plus is that he doesn't know any of the players, so he can't tell anyone to not tryout
(unlike last year).
go maji
NDPreps All-State

Return to Girls