Top ten regardless of class

Class AA Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Top ten regardless of class

Postby domination » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:47 pm

I'm making a list of the top 10 players in the state regardless of class. Need your help if I missed anyone.
No particular order

Rachel Weir – Shanley
Lexi Lennon – West Fargo
Holly Johnson – Minot
Naomi Rust – Bismarck
Mic Longtin – Mandan
Hannah Larson – Century
Kira Larson – Fargo North
Danielle Clark – Williston
Hannah Breske – Central Cass
Emily Thompson - Carrington
domination
NDPreps Reserve

Re: Top ten regardless of class

Postby balla45 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:52 pm

I like your list. I think there is a girl from Richland, Olivia Johnson who might be in there as well.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:24 pm

(in no particular order)

Holly Johnson (Minot)
Naomi Rust (Bismarck)
Mic Longtin (Mandan)
Hannah Larson (Century)
Hannah Breske (Central Cass)
Emily Thompson (Carrington)
Olivia Johnson (Richland)
Danielle Clark (Williston)
Kira Larson (Fargo North)
Ashley Bentz (Grant County)
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby gvmearees » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:56 am

Andie Hankla Minot
gvmearees
NDPreps Reserve

Postby annierebecca4252 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:03 pm

Quite the Western bent in your list Run4Fun. For that reason I think I like Domination's list better.
annierebecca4252
NDPreps Starter

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:12 pm

annierebecca4252 wrote:Quite the Western bent in your list Run4Fun. For that reason I think I like Domination's list better.

I have 4 eastern players and 6 western players (Carrington being considered East); domination has 5 east and 5 west. I really don't see the "Western bend" to my list...Is it because I don't have anyone from Shanley on my list and domination does? I considered Weir...but then realized that there were two really good Class B athletes that were slighted from domination's list (Johnson from Richland and Bentz from Grant County).
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby annierebecca4252 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:24 pm

Top Ten list is tough when considering how many players there are between classes. I would begin limiting the list by not including players from losing teams. Dani Clarke being the first. A lot of stats on a bad team. Kira Larson being the second. Both are good players, but with so much talent to consider there need to be tiebreakers somewhere. I would replace Larson and Clarke with Weir (yes, from Shanley) and Ellie Ripplinger from Red River. I would also consider Schafer from DL (but they didn't win games so I have her out.)
annierebecca4252
NDPreps Starter

Postby bballrocks245 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:32 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
annierebecca4252 wrote:Quite the Western bent in your list Run4Fun. For that reason I think I like Domination's list better.

I have 4 eastern players and 6 western players (Carrington being considered East); domination has 5 east and 5 west. I really don't see the "Western bend" to my list...Is it because I don't have anyone from Shanley on my list and domination does? I considered Weir...but then realized that there were two really good Class B athletes that were slighted from domination's list (Johnson from Richland and Bentz from Grant County).

Shanley bias or no, Rachel Weir should be on the list.
bballrocks245
NDPreps Rookie

Postby balla45 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:49 pm

I think it is tough to take Danielle Clark off the list. Her team did not have success this season, as she did not have help, but they were fairly successful in previous years and she was a major part of that. She may not be as good as her stats may seem, but she is still a top ten player going on to play Division 2 basketball.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby scoobyx2 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:57 pm

balla45 wrote:I think it is tough to take Danielle Clark off the list. Her team did not have success this season, as she did not have help, but they were fairly successful in previous years and she was a major part of that. She may not be as good as her stats may seem, but she is still a top ten player going on to play Division 2 basketball.

I agree with you. She deserves to be on the list. What are your thoughts on Jacobs from Century?
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby balla45 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:06 pm

I think Jacobs is a great athlete, but I am not sure how good she is at basketball. I think Hannah Larson is the best player on that team. Jacobs benefits from a great defensive gameplan that gets her a few lay ups every game. I do not like how low her percentages are from everywhere on the court. 36, 31, and 52 just doesn't get in done in my book. Jacobs is a great all around athlete though, and probably could have been a very good basketball player had she decided to go that route instead of volleyball.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby big fan » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:16 am

Brandy Messner 21.ppg 10.9 rpg. ended with 1704pts and 836rpg.She is playing for Minot State University next year.
big fan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby vballer » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:22 pm

Since this is called top ten regardless of class, I don't think you should exclude a good player just because her team is not that good. This is a team sport and one great player cannot help her team alone.

Dani Clarke (Williston) leads the west in scoring at 19.4 points a game, 4th in rebounding, 1st in assists and 1st in steals. Average team, but she has done a great job.

Kira Larson (Fargo North) leads the whole state in rebounding by a lot, 4th in scoring, 4th in blocked shots and 7th in field goal percentage. Without a good ball handling guard North has struggled and has not been able to get the ball inside to the Larson girl as much as they did last year.
vballer
NDPreps Starter

Postby ScalPal24 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:14 pm

balla45 wrote:I think Jacobs is a great athlete, but I am not sure how good she is at basketball. I think Hannah Larson is the best player on that team. Jacobs benefits from a great defensive gameplan that gets her a few lay ups every game. I do not like how low her percentages are from everywhere on the court. 36, 31, and 52 just doesn't get in done in my book. Jacobs is a great all around athlete though, and probably could have been a very good basketball player had she decided to go that route instead of volleyball.

I think the exact same critique could be made of Kira Larson. Her athleticism gets her a ton of boards, but her pure basketball skills are not very developed. She's a totally reactive player and without Dehne's talent and proactivity, it's hard for her to make things happen. That drops her down a few notches, in my book.

vballer: Those are Larson's EDC rankings. Statewide, she's lower in every category but rebounding, where, admittedly, she has excelled thanks to great athleticism.
ScalPal24
NDPreps Rookie

Postby scoobyx2 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:33 pm

balla45 wrote:I think Jacobs is a great athlete, but I am not sure how good she is at basketball. I think Hannah Larson is the best player on that team. Jacobs benefits from a great defensive gameplan that gets her a few lay ups every game. I do not like how low her percentages are from everywhere on the court. 36, 31, and 52 just doesn't get in done in my book. Jacobs is a great all around athlete though, and probably could have been a very good basketball player had she decided to go that route instead of volleyball.

I will agree that Larson is probably the best player on that team, but I will still put Jacobs up there. Just because she didn't put all her concentration on basketball, her athletism and basketball ability still puts her ahead of many players who "just play basketball". Century isn't the top ranked team in the State on the back of one player. If you look at the players away from their teams, I would put Jacobs ahead of Clark or even Longtin.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby L2DS8 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:14 pm

I believe the first two lists posted are good lists. I am not as familiar with some of the class b girls. Jacobs is questionable but probably belongs. Longtin definitely belongs on the list. Best guard and one of the best players in the state. As does Clarke, although williston, even with all state center last year, have only won 4 games this year and last so that has to have some effect.
L2DS8
NDPreps Rookie

Postby scoobyx2 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:44 am

L2DS8 wrote:I believe the first two lists posted are good lists. I am not as familiar with some of the class b girls. Jacobs is questionable but probably belongs. Longtin definitely belongs on the list. Best guard and one of the best players in the state. As does Clarke, although williston, even with all state center last year, have only won 4 games this year and last so that has to have some effect.

After watching the games this weekend, I will have to agree with you. Both Jacobs and Clarke are questionable. I wouldn't argue either way. Longtin did impress me with the comeback against Jamestown. She played with a lot of heart to fight their way into the State tournament. My favorite player out of the WDA this year was Rust from BHS. She got into foul trouble against Century which changed the game for BHS, but she was impressive throughout the tournament.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Return to Girls