Fargo Forum

Class AA Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby bruins44 » Sat Jan 14, 2006 7:29 am

I am getting tired of picking up the Fargo Forum and reading about Moorhead Hockey all the time,  Last night Fargo South and Fargo Shanley played in both girls and boys basketball, this is a big inter city game.... well I pick up the paper today and see an article about North and Devils Lake boys basketball, this game should have been covered! and an article about Moorhead girls Hockey playing who cares Minnesota!! it seems that every time Moorhead plays anyone at home they have a reporter covering the game no matter who they play, but when it comes to Fargo sports which have 4 High Schools to cover and only Eric Peterson to write about it, we get the shaft!  Am I wrong when I say "whenever Fargo schools play each other " in a major sport, the Forum should cover it?  I was told the sports editor at the Forum is a Moorhead resident and a big Hockey booster, and thats why they get the major coverage in our paper

Maybe the local paper should hire a few more reporters if Eric is the only one that covers Fargo prep sports? he cant be everywhere, but our teams deserve better coverage especially when our schools play each other!!

does anyone agree with me?
bruins44
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ishouldawentPRO » Sun Jan 15, 2006 8:53 am

yes
ishouldawentPRO

Postby ndfan » Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:18 pm

All agree with you on that. I like the Grand Forks Herald personally, I think they do a pretty good job covering the area. I know the Forum has a writer by the name of Mike McFeely who has not made alot of Bison fans very happy with the things he has written in the Forum. I find it hilarious and agree with the Bison fans the he needs to go. Just my opinion.

heres link to that board on McFeely

http://www.bisonville.com/cgi-bin/yabb/ ... 48;start=0
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby 1337 » Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:27 am

He is un-biased unlike everyone on that forum. You were reading on a Bison forum, in which it is pointed out that McFeely is sometimes critical of the Bison, what exactly did you think they would say about him?

McFeely is not as good as he thinks he is, but he isn't as bad as that message board has him out to be either. They simply just disagree when their team isn't bowed down to by a journalist.
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Double Bonus » Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:52 pm

I agree with 1337. McFeely is just doing his job. His job isn't to support the Bison or to blow sunshine up their butts. His job is to cover them and point out the good and the bad. My guess is McFeely is doing his job because you all are reading him. It's his job to get a reaction from the reader. He's not out to make friends.

I do believe that McFeely is the best sports columnist in the state. He's not afraid to tackle an issue and he's not afraid of what the public will say to him. He's not rah, rah, rah either. I don't always agree with all of his opinions, but he's entitled to them.

I think the Tribune offers excellent sports coverage. They are hitting the B schools more and their staff is full of talented writers. Steve Thomas and Lou B. turn out some good stories.
Double Bonus

Postby Batman » Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:02 pm

It's a tough job I'm sure being a sports writer.  Either your too critical or too much of a homer.  I used to work for the G.F. Herald and I didn't care for how they did business.  I thought their local coverage of the surrounding areas was lacking and they were forced to kiss butt's around town because they couldn't afford to lose any readership.  They kept trumpeting their pulitzer prize and and the same time were cutting everyones budgets and laying people off.  Greedy Knight-Ridder, based out of Florida, was not happy with a 20% net profit, so they turned in into a miserable workplace so they could squeeze 25% net profit out.  All that crap so some fat cat could get a bigger bonus that year.  Moral was terrible around there, most people would have left if it were not for pensions and benefits they needed, but I am glad I'm gone.

So I can't really say bad things about the Forum because I know a little about what goes on behind the scenes.  I guess the Forum is just out to sell papers, like anyone else.
Batman
NDPreps Starter

Postby ND_SportsNut » Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:23 pm

There was a huge game last night against #1 Devils Lake and #3 West fargo and I picked up the forum today expecting to read a story on it, or at least a box score.  I pick it up to find only the score of the game on the back page of sports in small print under the section "other scores." That makes me mad.  What a poor publication. Im sticking with the herald, who did have a box score and both towns are over an hour away, at least they understand the importance of basketball!

Last edited by ND_SportsNut on Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
ND_SportsNut

Return to Boys