State A Tourney

Class AA Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby MinotBison » Sat Mar 11, 2006 7:06 pm

Saas25 wrote:Was it just me or did the Alerus Center seem pretty empty this weekend?

It sure looked empty.
MinotBison
NDPreps Starter

Postby MinotBison » Sat Mar 11, 2006 7:06 pm

Last edited by MinotBison on Sat Mar 11, 2006 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MinotBison
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndfan » Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:11 pm

[user=79]MinotBison[/user] wrote:
Saas25 wrote:Was it just me or did the Alerus Center seem pretty empty this weekend?

It sure looked empty.

Congrats to Fargo North on their state championship and Travis Mertens being named class A player of the year all well deserved. I would say part of the reason the place was empty was Sioux women had Semi Final regional game and the Men's hockey team had a playoff game tonight. I'm not sure how much those two things would take away from class A tournament.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby 1337 » Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:20 pm

That and no Grand Forks team involved. Crappy weather today. Those two things, in conjunction with no big names (Boschee, Jacobson) there isn't your general public interest. Just my hunch.

Congratulations to Fargo North on a great season!
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby FargoBison » Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:39 pm

Grand Forks should simply not be allowed to host the Class A again because the city will never support it like it should be supported. The city revolves around hockey and that is the only state tourney it should get. When I was there for the state AAA football title game there 2 years ago the support for that was even pathetic and a GF team was in the title game. GF can have EDC(although it should be in the Fargo Civic or the BSA) and just let Fargo and Bismarck rotate the Class A tourney.
Last edited by FargoBison on Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FargoBison
NDPreps Reserve

Postby biggie » Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:39 pm

I'd also like to give a shout to to Williston for beating Bismarck.  Congrats boys!
biggie
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndfan » Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:58 pm

[user=152]FargoBison[/user] wrote:

Grand Forks should simply not be allowed to host the Class A again because the city will never support it like it should be supported. The city revolves around hockey and that is the only state tourney it should get. When I was there for the state AAA football title game there 2 years ago the support for that was even pathetic and a GF team was in the title game. GF can have EDC(although it should be in the Fargo Civic or the BSA) and just let Fargo and Bismarck rotate the Class A tourney.

For being a hockey town, at the hockey games the past few nights I wasn't impressed with the attendance their. Lot of empty seats for a PLAYOFF game.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby FargoBison » Sat Mar 11, 2006 9:26 pm

ndfan wrote:[user=152]FargoBison[/user] wrote:

For being a hockey town, at the hockey games the past few nights I wasn't impressed with the attendance their. Lot of empty seats for a PLAYOFF game.
What is going on up in GF? Don't UND hockey games always sell out? After they lost game 1 I thought for sure it would be packed for what could have been UND's last game of the year. Mariucci was sold out for the weekend, GF most not be as big a hockey city as advertised. After this weekend if there was a worst sports city award GF would get it. 
FargoBison
NDPreps Reserve

Postby NDSportsFan » Sat Mar 11, 2006 9:31 pm

I wouldn't be too critical of GF.  I see them as a Sioux (all sports) and a high school hockey town.  Other sports are secondary.  The traditions of RR and Central hockey outweigh the other popularity of other sports right now.  That's just an observation from living and working there for five years.
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby UND9296 » Sun Mar 12, 2006 4:41 am

ndfan wrote:[user=152]FargoBison[/user] wrote:

It's spring break, so most of the students are gone. When 9200 constitutes a bad crowd, you know you've got a good thing going.

A lot of things conspired against the class A tournaments this weekend. Obviously the UND hockey games are going to take priority. UND women's basketball is in town. Between those two events, that's over 11,000 people. There are only so many sports fans in a community of 50,000. The weather in eastern ND was bad for the first half of the day on Saturday, which likely caused a lot of out-of-towners to plan on watching on tv instead of driving. This weekend would have been roughly the equivalent of having both the state A and B in Fargo or Bismarck or Minot (assuming that were even possible facility-wise) during the same weekend, and then acting surprised or critical when the A attendance suffers.
Last edited by UND9296 on Sun Mar 12, 2006 4:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
UND9296
NDPreps Starter

Postby ND_SportsNut » Sun Mar 12, 2006 7:06 am

There's no way around it, the Alerus Center is a joke and should never get another state tournament much less the EDC.  Last year the boys at the BSA and girls at the civic worked out fine for EDC and had a good feel to it. Then at state you didn't even know there was 2 courts there, it was that well separated. At the Alerus that little blanket they put in between the courts is a joke, it feels like your watching a local Elks tournament or something. I just feel that these past two weekends put little emphasis on these important games. Its fine to use the 2 floors for the winter fastbreak club tournament at the Alerus but please spare me the state tourney.
ND_SportsNut

Postby ndfan » Sun Mar 12, 2006 7:22 am

Anybody know what the attendance for Saturday was at the Alerus? Caught the end of state championship game and it looked pretty empty. Looked like class B region championship games might have had better attendance.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby UND9296 » Sun Mar 12, 2006 8:33 am

I find it somewhat ironic that while people have no trouble bashing GF for the poor attendance despite having other games going on in town which drew between 11,000 and 11,500 people, nobody is critical of the fact that two Fargo teams were playing for state championships, and to the best of my knowledge, there was NOTHING else going on in Fargo in terms of sports which would compete for attention. Why weren't there more Fargo people there? Or was that hour to an hour and a half drive too much to expect from people?
Last edited by UND9296 on Sun Mar 12, 2006 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
UND9296
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndsubball » Sun Mar 12, 2006 8:35 am

Yeh i bet if Devils Lake and say Fargo North or Fargo South would have played for the championship game the whole town of DL would have been there
ndsubball

Postby FargoBison » Sun Mar 12, 2006 8:52 am

UND9296 wrote:I find it somewhat ironic that while people have no trouble bashing GF for the poor attendance despite having other games going on in town which drew between 11,000 and 11,500 people, nobody is critical of the fact that two Fargo teams were playing for state championships, and to the best of my knowledge, there was NOTHING else going on in Fargo in terms of sports which would compete for attention. Why weren't there more Fargo people there?

I apologize for some of my GF bashing but the people that run the state tourney should know that GF is going to have UND hockey going at the same time and that it is just dumb to put the tourney there. GF gets hockey and I don't see why they should get basketball as well. Hockey in GF makes sense it gets the Ralph and first class treatment throughout the enitre weekend. When the Super A is in Fargo and at the dome it gets the same type of treatment, it also gets that kind of treatment in Bismarck. There are also way more casual basketball fans in Fargo and Bismarck that may be fans of neither team and just go to watch some good basketball.
FargoBison
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Saas25 » Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:06 am

I believe that the Bismarck Civic Center should have the State bball tourney every yeard because it is a central location and they actually have two courts.  I think it is pretty confusing when you here a whistle or a horn blow from the court right next to you.  Problem solved just put it in the BCC and you have 2 different courts.
Saas25
NDPreps Starter

Postby klg_11 » Sun Mar 12, 2006 7:18 pm

Saas25 wrote:I believe that the Bismarck Civic Center should have the State bball tourney every yeard because it is a central location and they actually have two courts.  I think it is pretty confusing when you here a whistle or a horn blow from the court right next to you.  Problem solved just put it in the BCC and you have 2 different courts.

couldnt agree more, was at both wda and state Civic center was awesome but it was my first time in the alerus center and was severely disappointed. next year wda should be in minot???? STATE IN BISMARCK!!!!
klg_11

Postby g_unit » Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:22 pm

i love how the number one team from the west was crushed by 15 points in the title game to the number four ranked team in the east going into regionals...
g_unit
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Ming01 » Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:21 am

[font=verdana]I love how the west showed that they are better overall then the east.[/font]
Last edited by Ming01 on Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby Fritoman » Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:29 am

I think that it shows how evenly matched the whole state was this year. Anyone could have won the State title this year. No one came in being real dominant and it came down to who had a good night would win and if you had an off night you lost.
Fritoman
NDPreps Starter

Postby g_unit » Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:53 pm

i agree with FRITOMAN 100%...tournament time is a whole knew ballgame but i dont think that that really proves who are the better teams and MING saying that the WEST dominated the EAST isnt a true statement (the only reeason your saying that is because three teams made it past the first round) but what you need to look at before you start making those comments is the games them themselve and what occured in each game like

Number 6    GFC lost by 6  to NUMBER 1 Minot

and the number 2, 4, 5,6 teams made it to state from the east

i can see where you can start making stabs at the teams and devils lake but devils lake was the best team all year round...from day one and because they lost 2 buzzer beaters in regionals they are preceived as overrated one of those loses was to the state champs and the state champs had'nt held a lead the whole game until the final shot

iam pretty strong minded on the east  and watched all the games at state and i really didnt think anyteams impressed me at all nnot even devils lake in regionals

so with fritoman said any time any where anyone can lose or win

thats why theres stats...
g_unit
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Ming01 » Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:19 am

I didn't say the west dominated the east.  Please take the time to actually read my comments.  I said th west showed they are better OVERALL then the east, which is true and you cant deny it.
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby Fritoman » Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:28 am

I don't know how you can really determine who is better when you talk east vs. west when they play so few games against each other. It is just something to stir us up and we all want to say our side of the state is the best. One other factor that really affected the Regional and State tourneys was the cold and flu season. I know that it was a real problem for Williston and I could see it in the way our guys played in some of the games.
Fritoman
NDPreps Starter

Postby Y-not Daily » Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:51 pm

g_unit wrote:i agree with FRITOMAN 100%...tournament time is a whole knew ballgame but i dont think that that really proves who are the better teams and MING saying that the WEST dominated the EAST isnt a true statement (the only reeason your saying that is because three teams made it past the first round) but what you need to look at before you start making those comments is the games them themselve and what occured in each game like

Number 6    GFC lost by 6  to NUMBER 1 Minot

and the number 2, 4, 5,6 teams made it to state from the east

i can see where you can start making stabs at the teams and devils lake but devils lake was the best team all year round...from day one and because they lost 2 buzzer beaters in regionals they are preceived as overrated one of those loses was to the state champs and the state champs had'nt held a lead the whole game until the final shot

iam pretty strong minded on the east  and watched all the games at state and i really didnt think anyteams impressed me at all nnot even devils lake in regionals

so with fritoman said any time any where anyone can lose or win

thats why theres stats...
Hey g_unit, just because your club laid an egg in the EDC, doesn't mean that the numbers 2,4,5 and 6 teams from the east made it.
The way I see it, the top four teams made it from each Region.
If GFC was the No. 6 team in the East, then why did they beat Devils Lake to get into the tournament, then beat West Fargo in the loser-out, then go to overtime with Fargo South in the 5th place?
Riddle me that?
While the West didn't dominated the East, you have to say they came out of the first round better. They won three of the games and the closest game of the first round was No. 1 Fargo North over No. 4 Century.
The Minot-Central game was close in final score only. If you were there (you obviously weren't) you'd know Minot was up 16 with less than 1:30 remaining in the game and Central went on an 11-1 run to end the game.
The bottom line is the best team in the state is Fargo North and the next three are from the West. Good teams step up during tourney time... mediocre teams don't.
Y-not Daily

Postby g_unit » Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:38 pm

i never said that those teams werent the top teams in the eact region, what i basically said is that i THINK along with many other fans around the state is that not all the best overall teams made it to state...and i do agree that fargo north is the best team in the state because you have to show you can play during tourney time...but with what i saig again any team can lose on any given night

g_unit
NDPreps Reserve

PreviousNext

Return to Boys