Mertens still Mr. Basketball??

Class AA Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby bigbballfan » Sun Mar 05, 2006 4:11 pm

with the 2 losses in the EDC tournament, does he still deserve it or does it go to sombody else? just for the record he carried DL in the north game since no one else could help, especially a clutch free throw shooter like kendell hunt or a 3 point shooter like alex lundon or a hotshot sophomore such as bj mertens(is it just the fact that his name is mertens?) or a clutch player like josh lagein. let me know some thoughts anyways
only a true basketball player knows the game, how to play it, and what he/she needs to know to do the things that make a team and themselves great
bigbballfan
NDPreps Rookie

Postby Ming01 » Sun Mar 05, 2006 4:20 pm

I think he'll still get it.
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndfan » Sun Mar 05, 2006 4:26 pm

Yeah I don't see why he still doesn't get it, I don't know anyone that deserves it more then him right now. But i'm sure there a few people with a different opinion im sure.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Ming01 » Sun Mar 05, 2006 5:27 pm

Even though they lost out this weekend.  Look at his stats and what he did in those games!
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby Saas25 » Sun Mar 05, 2006 6:21 pm

Just because they lost doesn't hurt his chances any bit, no doubt he is the best player in the state. Besides Mr. Basketball he also could have been up for Senior Athlete of the Year in football because he is that good of an athlete.
Saas25
NDPreps Starter

Postby Indians Alumni » Mon Mar 06, 2006 3:21 am

No Question, I think Mertens is the top candidate for Mr Basketball. 
It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up. ~Muhammed Ali
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ndbb » Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:41 am

Him or Erdmann, no doubt.  Erdmann did it all too, with less talent behind him.  But wait, they beat DL.
ndbb
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndfan » Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:01 pm

[user=128]ndbb[/user] wrote:
Him or Erdmann, no doubt.  Erdmann did it all too, with less talent behind him.  But wait, they beat DL.

Key word there ndbb is THEY, not HE. Mr. Basketball is not a team award its an individual award.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby 1337 » Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:29 pm

It's still Mertens by far!
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby 4 Winds Indians Hoops Fan » Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:56 pm

Travis Mertens for Mr. Basketball.

He did not fail his team in the end and he carried them for the season and for many years, he is a unique player that I wish I could watch all the time, he has fun while playing the game hard and that combination is what hoops is all about.  Sorry to see his high school career along with such good young men as Kendall Hunt, come to an abrupt end because these kids put in countless hours trying to pursue their dream of becoming state champs.

Merty for Mr. Basketball definitely.

The Natural
4 Winds Indians Hoops Fan

Postby Savi22 » Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:17 am

anything is really possible... a lot of teams have some under rated players... but we wont know for a couple weeks...

~badonk a donk
Savi22

Postby Y-not Daily » Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:01 pm

No question it's Mertens, although either he has been slightly overrated or the players around him have been. I didn't see DL this year, but if they were as great as everyone said, they should have no problem qualifiying for state. Maybe Erdmann is better, but Mertens had the best season IMO.
Y-not Daily

Postby paperboy » Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:08 am

Mertens is a great athlete, but the voters should consider impact on the team, defensive ability and other intangibles besides numbers, don't you think?  If it were strictly numbers, Mertens is hands down the winner, or maybe even a B player that has some ungodly stats.  I really think that Erdmann carried his team just far enough until his teammates came together for their final run to the championship, and then Erdmann let them shine with unselfish play and leadership.  But, I still think Mertens is the best player (athlete) and is deserving of the award and will probably get it.
paperboy

Postby ndsubball » Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:16 am

Is that mertens averaged 2.32 blocks a game and you cant tell me he didnt play defense mertens also average 21.4 points a game and the rest of the team averaged about 48 or 49 points a game

ndsubball

Postby paperboy » Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:20 pm

Blocked shots are not a true measure of a player's defensive abilities, in fact, alot of blocked shots are the result of going for ball fakes or getting beat and having the athleticism to recover and make the block from behind.  And we know that Mertens is a good athlete, but he's not a good, solid, by-the-book defensive player, wouldn't you agree?
paperboy

Postby Indians Alumni » Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:26 am

Block shots oozes defense.  I don't know what you mean!  I guess I thought stopping your opponent was the key point of defense and block shots would be a stop.  My vote would go to Travis Mertens, he is an excellent player, and also a quality person.  I think Joe & Teri Did a good job in raising Travis. 
It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up. ~Muhammed Ali
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby 1337 » Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:52 am

Purely high numbers of blocked shots does not equal an outstanding defensive player, especially considering one's height advantage, it would almost then be expected.

I've seen plenty of guys with high block stats that couldn't stop anyone.

Just my 2 cents, as much as I think Erdmann now has a case, especially considering the title run (more important in my mind especially when stats are close), I still feel Mertens will indeed win the award.
NDPreps All-Conference

Return to Boys