Mr. Basketball

Class AA Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby O_Snap » Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:58 am

This far into the season what are your guy's thoughts on the top players for the Mr. Basketball award?
O_Snap

Postby project-pat » Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:04 am

that's already going on in the Class B forum if you wanna check that out. I'd say kick will win it all with lorenz and bakkum following close behind.
project-pat

Postby cdub1 » Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:08 am

kick or qvale

id rather die like a man than live like a coward becuz a coward dies a thousand deaths
cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby bballfan_05 » Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:24 am

I could see Wilhelm gettin into the final vote, however, I don't see him winning it.
bballfan_05
NDPreps All-State

Postby vikes_fan » Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:44 am

I would have to go wit Kick. Does Belohavek have a chance at all???
vikes_fan
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndbb » Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:33 pm

i think belohavek does.
ndbb
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby NDdominator » Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:21 pm

I don't think he'll be candidate just because of kick and qvuale and then of course they will have to have 2 class b candidates who have no chance
NDdominator

Postby PA42 » Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:26 pm

bakkum and lorenz are excellent candidates, they have a chance. they are dark horses. i think the voters like bakkum's ability and lorenz's defense and work ethic.
PA42

Postby Ming01 » Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:32 pm

it would be tough to give it to a class b player because of the competition
Last edited by Ming01 on Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby sportsguy » Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:55 pm

Qvale is the best player in the state hands down.  His Defense alone should win him the award.  Every shot in the paint against him is almost a prayer, he alters everything and forces teams to shoot from the outside.  With that he is averaging 19ppg and I believe 11rpg and he see's a double or triple team on every possession.  Combine that with the 25 point drubbing Williston put on Dickinson earlier this season, I think you have the early season favorite for Mr. Basketball.  And If you were at that game like I was and saw the Coyotes put a beating on the Midgets and watched Qvale dominate Kick and the entire Dickinson team you would be thinking the same thing.

Other candidates as of now

Tate Kick - Dickinson

Justin Belohavek - Mandan

Jordan Wilhelm - Bismarck High

Jon Kramer  - Wahpeton

Mark Bakkum - Steele Dawson

Nathaniel Packineau - Parshall

Outside Looking in

Shaun Knife - Belcourt

Luke Lorenz - MPCG

Tony Ironheart - Standing Rock

sportsguy

Postby ndbasketballfan007 » Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:54 am

Tony Ironheart is from Four Winds
ndbasketballfan007
NDPreps Starter

Postby PA42 » Fri Jan 12, 2007 6:23 am

sportsguy wrote:Qvale is the best player in the state hands down.  His Defense alone should win him the award.  Every shot in the paint against him is almost a prayer, he alters everything and forces teams to shoot from the outside.  With that he is averaging 19ppg and I believe 11rpg and he see's a double or triple team on every possession.  Combine that with the 25 point drubbing Williston put on Dickinson earlier this season, I think you have the early season favorite for Mr. Basketball.  And If you were at that game like I was and saw the Coyotes put a beating on the Midgets and watched Qvale dominate Kick and the entire Dickinson team you would be thinking the same thing.

Other candidates as of now

Tate Kick - Dickinson

Justin Belohavek - Mandan

Jordan Wilhelm - Bismarck High

Jon Kramer  - Wahpeton

Mark Bakkum - Steele Dawson

Nathaniel Packineau - Parshall

Outside Looking in

Shaun Knife - Belcourt

Luke Lorenz - MPCG

Tony Ironheart - Standing Rock

trust me luke lorenz will be a top candidate. i'm not saying he should win it, because there are some great players in the running. but it impresses me when a player can dominate by basketball insticnts and determination. Do you know why kick and qvale should be afraid of this kid. for the last two years this kid has played in front a state wide audience and dominated against bigger, stronger, and faster oppenents. don't get me wrong everyone on this list deserves to be there. i just think lorenz should be in the top five. i think that everyone of these guys are fine players and class acts.
PA42

Postby Ming01 » Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:08 am

sportsguy wrote:Qvale is the best player in the state hands down.  His Defense alone should win him the award.  Every shot in the paint against him is almost a prayer, he alters everything and forces teams to shoot from the outside.  With that he is averaging 19ppg and I believe 11rpg and he see's a double or triple team on every possession.  Combine that with the 25 point drubbing Williston put on Dickinson earlier this season, I think you have the early season favorite for Mr. Basketball.  And If you were at that game like I was and saw the Coyotes put a beating on the Midgets and watched Qvale dominate Kick and the entire Dickinson team you would be thinking the same thing.

Yeah cuz it's so hard to dominate a team when they have what, a 6'4 kid guarding you?
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby region1 football » Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:15 am

Any predictions to whom will be the finalists from the 2 classes?
region1 football
NDPreps Starter

Postby sportsguy » Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:21 am

Your right they don't have anybody big, but how can you penalize Qvale because Dickinson and everybody else in the state has no match up for him.  He is still the most dominating defender in the state and he still see's a double or triple team everytime he touches the ball.  Bottom line he is the best player in the state and if his team should win the state title there is no reason he shouldn't get the award.  And if his team doesn't win the state title I have a tough time believing people are gonna say "If only Qvale would have done more", no the biggest concern is with there guards, who right now are playing excellent and just so you know I am not a Williston native, I just call things how I see them. 
sportsguy

Postby sportsguy » Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:31 am

Lorenz is probably one of the hardest if not the hardest workers in the state.  He plays hard every minute he is on the floor and leaves it out there all the time.  He is also a good basketball player and is a deserved All State player.  But it is tough for me to say he is a Mr. Basketball candidate caliber player.  I understand that his team got to the state title game last year and he is a huge reason along with the Baldwin kid as too why they were there.  I think people see how hard he plays and the passion he plays with and that he is a kid with respect for the game and others as well as being your so to speak "Role Model" type citizen, so they want him to succeed and maybe that is a good enough reason to put him on the ballot for Mr. Basketball because of those things.  But it's tough for me to say that he is on the same level talent wise as guys like Qvale, Kick, Bakkum, Wilhelm, and Kramer.  I think there is a Mr. Basketball level and then there is an All State level and in my opinion isn't quite a Mr. Basketball guy.
sportsguy

Postby cityleaguer » Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:47 am

I hate to say it but based on basketball talent alone, Kick is a more legit all around player than Qvale.  Number one, put another 6'11" kid on Qvale and see what happens, example being the Glendive game.  Number two, he's one dimensional, he can sit down low and redirect shots, or get jump hooks all night, on smaller opponents but watch him do anything from outside 10 feet and you'll see what i mean. Kick isn't one dimensional, he can take a guard inside, or a post outside and blow by them. That to me more than makes up for not being 6'11"
cityleaguer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby member » Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:54 am

Wilhelm Quvale Kick and Belohlavek are better than every class B player out there.
NDPreps Starter

Postby vikes_fan » Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:42 pm

After tonights game Qvale showed that he can be a very good canidate for mr. basketball but After watching Justin Belohavek he has too be the runner up 43 points vs Williston in Williston against a number one ranked team.
vikes_fan
NDPreps Starter

Postby sportsguy » Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:03 pm

Tate Kick may be more offensively talented than Qvale right now your right, because Qvale is a bit raw offensively with tons of potential and room to grow.  But my thing here is that Mr. Basketball is the best overall player and defensively Qvale is leaps and bounds ahead of anybody in the state.  He can allow guards to play more aggressively and gamble on the perimeter because they know he is behind him and if Qvale wants to get out on the perimeter he is athletic enough to slide his feet and get it done.  So ya I agree Kick is more offensively talented, but Qvale is much more talented defensively and is the reason why he should be Mr. Basketball - because there are two sides of the game you can't just be good at one of them.  And it's not like his numbers are bad offensively either 19 and 11.
sportsguy

Postby member » Sat Jan 13, 2007 6:29 am

[user=170]sportsguy[/user] wrote:
Tate Kick may be more offensively talented than Qvale right now your right, because Qvale is a bit raw offensively with tons of potential and room to grow.  But my thing here is that Mr. Basketball is the best overall player and defensively Qvale is leaps and bounds ahead of anybody in the state.  He can allow guards to play more aggressively and gamble on the perimeter because they know he is behind him and if Qvale wants to get out on the perimeter he is athletic enough to slide his feet and get it done.  So ya I agree Kick is more offensively talented, but Qvale is much more talented defensively and is the reason why he should be Mr. Basketball - because there are two sides of the game you can't just be good at one of them.  And it's not like his numbers are bad offensively either 19 and 11.
Belohlavek should be the number one canidate. He is probobaly average around 30 or 31 a game and he is getting about 4 steals a game. Not to mention he isn't to shabby rebounding the ball. Kick is in a very close second followed by Quvale who slightly trailing kick.
NDPreps Starter

Postby The Schwab » Sat Jan 13, 2007 6:31 am

How can you say honestly that Those three from class A are better than the class b kids....have you seen them play...
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby Notorious » Sat Jan 13, 2007 6:37 am

Kick only had 11 last night, bu still a win over Bis.
Notorious
NDPreps Starter

Postby cityleaguer » Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:45 am

Kick's 11 may seem small and a little underachieving but I also saw that 3 of his teammates were in double figures.  After the century game in which Kick had 33, his coach said in the paper that they needed to be more balanced.  Not only were they more balanced but attending the game against Bismarck, i noticed that Kick was constantly screening for his teammates, going after every rebound, and ALSO, contesting every shot that came in the lane while he was down there. and like u said, it was a win against a good Demons team.
cityleaguer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Spanky » Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:52 pm

member wrote:[user=170]sportsguy[/user] wrote:
Belohlavek should be the number one canidate. He is probobaly average around 30 or 31 a game and he is getting about 4 steals a game. Not to mention he isn't to shabby rebounding the ball. Kick is in a very close second followed by Quvale who slightly trailing kick.

There is no way qvale is behind kick. Behind Belohlavek MAYBE after his 43 point performance. Kick hasn't done a thing to prove he is a better candidate than qvale.
Spanky
NDPreps Starter

Next

Return to Boys