Mr. Basketball

Class AA Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby cityleaguer » Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:39 pm

sportsguy wrote:I agree with Wildcat's comment about Defense.  Everybody talks about this guy is averaging this many points and this many rebounds.  Really in my book whether a guy is averaging 19 and 11 or 20 and 10 is basically a wash.  Which is why to me Qvale and Kick are a wash offensively.  But there are two sides of the game and NO ONE can tell me that Kick is even half the defensive player Qvale is.  Qvale is DOMINATING defensively.  Even when he is not blocking shots he is there making every person who shoots think twice.  He is the only player in the state that doesn't need to take a shot and can still be the most dominating player on the floor. That is why Qvale is MR. BASKETBALL HANDS DOWN. And don't penalize the man for being 6-11 and saying that "he should" be doing it, because he should be rewarded for doing what he is suppose to do.

I guess at this point I'm at a loss for who should be the winner, I'd like to see Kick get it as he's from my area, however Qvale is quietly sitting on top.  One thing though, speaking of defense does anyone know how many blocked shots per game Kick is averaging, it can't be high, but judging by The Midgets' managers and statisticians they're not getting nearly the amount recorded that he gets.  I personally saw Kick block 6 shots against Bismarck High, while the statisticians (girls) were barely paying attention.  Don't know if that changes minds on Kick's defensive game to anyone, but you have to realize that stats are only on paper until you see them for yourself.
cityleaguer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby sportsguy » Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:26 am

It's not just about number of blocked shots, because most statisticians in high school don't know what is going on, it is his PRESENCE in the game that I am talking about, even if he doesn't block a shot he still is there and every opponent knows that in the back of his mind.
sportsguy

Postby cityleaguer » Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:55 am

sportsguy wrote:It's not just about number of blocked shots, because most statisticians in high school don't know what is going on, it is his PRESENCE in the game that I am talking about, even if he doesn't block a shot he still is there and every opponent knows that in the back of his mind.

Good Point, and I know that if there's a 6'11 shadow over me I'd be a little intimidated too, but give Kick credit, he isn't exactly short at 6'5 and he's very long too. But I see what you mean.
cityleaguer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby baseball » Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:26 am

sportsguy wrote:And don't penalize the man for being 6-11 and saying that "he should" be doing it, because he should be rewarded for doing what he is suppose to do.

dont reward him by just handing him mr bball either.  you could grab a 6'11" kid from the stands and tell him to stand in the lane with his hands up and hes going to block and change shots too.....IMO.  i just want to know what Qvale would do if he was going up against other players 6"11" instead of 6'4".  i gaurantee he wouldnt be getting atleast 10 a game just cuz he can turn around and drop the ball in the hoop cuz hes taller, it woudl get thrown back in his grill.  ok so he blocks 5 shots a game and makes 8 layups and a few free throws.  whats his mid range game like? can he help get pass a press if need?  Mr. Basketball is for "best player" not the one whos the tallest or the quickest.  its the guy who can do it all (AKA - multidimesional), i dont think Qvale is.
Last edited by baseball on Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby cityleaguer » Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:56 am

baseball wrote:
sportsguy wrote:And don't penalize the man for being 6-11 and saying that "he should" be doing it, because he should be rewarded for doing what he is suppose to do.

dont reward him by just handing him mr bball either.  you could grab a 6'11" kid from the stands and tell him to stand in the lane with his hands up and hes going to block and change shots too.....IMO.  i just want to know what Qvale would do if he was going up against other players 6"11" instead of 6'4".  i gaurantee he wouldnt be getting atleast 10 a game just cuz he can turn around and drop the ball in the hoop cuz hes taller, it woudl get thrown back in his grill.  ok so he blocks 5 shots a game and makes 8 layups and a few free throws.  whats his mid range game like? can he help get pass a press if need?  Mr. Basketball is for "best player" not the one whos the tallest or the quickest.  its the guy who can do it all (AKA - multidimesional), i dont think Qvale is.

Qvale has stepped it up this year compared to the last 2 1/2, however, I like your point about grabbing anyone from the stands who's that tall and they would be able to drop some bunnies and spray blocks all over the place, and also the point of another his size on him, it already happened with his cousin Derik Selvig from Glendive, granted it was the first game of the year, but i think Qvale only had mid teens in points and like 5 rebounds.
cityleaguer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby baseball » Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:02 am

cityleaguer wrote:
baseball wrote:

Qvale has stepped it up this year compared to the last 2 1/2, however, I like your point about grabbing anyone from the stands who's that tall and they would be able to drop some bunnies and spray blocks all over the place, and also the point of another his size on him, it already happened with his cousin Derik Selvig from Glendive, granted it was the first game of the year, but i think Qvale only had mid teens in points and like 5 rebounds.

i didnt mean to bash Qvale by saying he was bad, cuz i know hes not. hes an amazing player, my point was just that some people feel they should give him mr bball just becuase hes "dominating" which he is to an extent.  but i just have to wonder would he be as good if he was 6'5"-6'6"??
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby cityleaguer » Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:09 am

baseball wrote:
cityleaguer wrote:
baseball wrote:

i didnt mean to bash Qvale by saying he was bad, cuz i know hes not. hes an amazing player, my point was just that some people feel they should give him mr bball just becuase hes "dominating" which he is to an extent.  but i just have to wonder would he be as good if he was 6'5"-6'6"??

Exactly, people don't understand how much easier the game is when u can literally touch the backboard while on your tiptoes as opposed to actually having to be athletic enough to get around people and jump in the air.
cityleaguer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby cdub1 » Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:23 am

qvale has a good mid range game and kick is at least half the defensive player qvale is

id rather die like a man than live like a coward becuz a coward dies a thousand deaths
cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Y-not Daily » Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:51 am

Belohlavek has to be in the mix right now... he might even be the leading candidate. He's averaging 27 a game with good steal and assists numbers. Qvale is the best overall player, IMO. His defense is fantastic. He completely alters the way that teams approach playing Williston. His offense, from what I have seen, is waaay better than it was last year. He is unstoppable in the post and has good touch (last year I thought he had no touch whatsoever). Kick is great, but is probably running third right now. I think Lorenz and Ironheart are probably the candidates from Class B right now. Both are returning all-staters on good teams.
Y-not Daily

Postby hoopsfan_2007 » Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:44 pm

sportsguy wrote:I agree with Wildcat's comment about Defense.  Everybody talks about this guy is averaging this many points and this many rebounds.  Really in my book whether a guy is averaging 19 and 11 or 20 and 10 is basically a wash.  Which is why to me Qvale and Kick are a wash offensively.  But there are two sides of the game and NO ONE can tell me that Kick is even half the defensive player Qvale is.  Qvale is DOMINATING defensively.  Even when he is not blocking shots he is there making every person who shoots think twice.  He is the only player in the state that doesn't need to take a shot and can still be the most dominating player on the floor. That is why Qvale is MR. BASKETBALL HANDS DOWN. And don't penalize the man for being 6-11 and saying that "he should" be doing it, because he should be rewarded for doing what he is suppose to do.

that was the best thing i've read on this topic.  great post all around.  brian qvale is an unbelievable talent.  until you people watch him more, you won't understand.  if your going off of last year or the year before, you're WAY misguided.  he not only dominates on defense, but he does on offense too.  if you don't double and triple team him, your in trouble.  he is very athletic, very coordinated, has GOOD hands even though people say he doesn't, and he is VERY aggressive this year around the basket making him unstoppable.
hoopsfan_2007
NDPreps Starter

Postby Wildcat » Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:59 pm

Would Qvale be as good if he was 6'6? hmmm

Would Kick be as good if he was only 5-11? Would Qvale and Kick be the best 1-2 tandem in the history of the world if they played on the same team? (sarcastic) It's fun to speculate! The truth is that most players take advantage of their talents. Would Qvale be as good? maybe not! But if Kick were 6-11, would he work has hard and be as good as he is now? Would he jump as hard and as high as he does now if he were that height? Speculation may be fun, but it doesn't clear many things up.
Last edited by Wildcat on Sat Jan 20, 2007 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wildcat
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Ming01 » Sat Jan 20, 2007 8:00 am

Wildcat wrote:Would Qvale be as good if he was 6'6? hmmm

Would Kick be as good if he was only 5-11? Would Qvale and Kick be the best 1-2 tandem in the history of the world if they played on the same team? It's fun to speculate! The truth is that most players take advantage of their talents. Would Qvale be as good? maybe not! But if Kick were 6-11, would he work has hard and be as good as he is now? Would he jump as hard and as high as he does now if he were that height? Speculation may be fun, but it doesn't clear many things up.

What if this? What if that...?  Theres too many speculations.  Qvale is 6'11, Kick is 6'5, I am 5'11 thats just how it is.
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby cdub1 » Sat Jan 20, 2007 8:04 am

Ming01 wrote:
Wildcat wrote:Would Qvale be as good if he was 6'6? hmmm

Would Kick be as good if he was only 5-11? Would Qvale and Kick be the best 1-2 tandem in the history of the world if they played on the same team? It's fun to speculate! The truth is that most players take advantage of their talents. Would Qvale be as good? maybe not! But if Kick were 6-11, would he work has hard and be as good as he is now? Would he jump as hard and as high as he does now if he were that height? Speculation may be fun, but it doesn't clear many things up.

What if this? What if that...?  Theres too many speculations.  Qvale is 6'11, Kick is 6'5, I am 5'11 thats just how it is.

ya you need to learn how to use your body kcik uses his qvale uses his and they both do great jobs

id rather die like a man than live like a coward becuz a coward dies a thousand deaths
cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby baseball » Sat Jan 20, 2007 8:33 am

ok it seems like all you guys tihnk i said Qvale is bad but hes only being talked about cuz hes tall.  show me where i said that....i simply said the game is easier when your a 7 footer in ND so it makes him look that dominant.  all im saying is we cant just hand him the award for that reason, im not saying he wont get it, but just sayin its easier for him.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby cityleaguer » Sat Jan 20, 2007 8:52 am

I guess for all those people who want Qvale to win because of his defense, you might want to check the recap on the Dickinson and Belcourt game.  Shaun Knife, who some say should be in the Mr. Basketball talks was absolutely shut down by who, none other than Mr. Underrated defense himself....TATE KICK! Knife ended with 4 points??? Kick had 28 while being double teamed.  I'd say that it's apparent that Kick has been more than overlooked for his defensive abilities, and can be a shut down defender if it is asked of him.
cityleaguer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Fritoman » Sat Jan 20, 2007 9:05 am

baseball wrote:ok it seems like all you guys tihnk i said Qvale is bad but hes only being talked about cuz hes tall.  show me where i said that....i simply said the game is easier when your a 7 footer in ND so it makes him look that dominant.  all im saying is we cant just hand him the award for that reason, im not saying he wont get it, but just sayin its easier for him.

I have to disagree. It isn't EASIER for him. He still gets the job done when he is TRIPLE teamed. I see it in every game, and he is still dominating when this is happening.
Fritoman
NDPreps Starter

Postby Wildcat » Sat Jan 20, 2007 11:07 am

Nobody is HANDING Qvale the Mr. Basketball award. It will be probably be a close vote, but Qvale will win it because, IMO, the North Dakota media will vote him as it and rightfully so. Nobody's handing him anything, he's worked for it and I'm not saying that Kick hasn't either. However, Qvale will get it over Kick and Belohlavek. Kick shut down Shaun Knife....great, I guess. Shame he couldn't have played like that against Qvale. It's a shame he couldn't have played like that against Jordan Wilhelm, though they did win. Dickinson was up by as much as 13 and Bismarck closed it to two points late in the fourth before Dickinson eventually sealed it. Kick had what? 11 points 7 rebounds. Not a bad game I guess.

I believe Kick is a better defender than Wilhelm, yet Wilhem had better numbers in that game. Marcus Fridley did guard Wilhelm for a while too, though. 

By the way, my speculation comments above were sarcastic. Speculation causes way too many problems. Also, saying that it is easier for him because he is 6-11 isn't a very smart comment. Basketball is more than just heighth and Qvale has proved that. He's having the best year of his high school career and he scares teams much more than Kick does.
Wildcat
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby baseball » Sat Jan 20, 2007 11:15 am

Fritoman wrote:
baseball wrote:ok it seems like all you guys tihnk i said Qvale is bad but hes only being talked about cuz hes tall.  show me where i said that....i simply said the game is easier when your a 7 footer in ND so it makes him look that dominant.  all im saying is we cant just hand him the award for that reason, im not saying he wont get it, but just sayin its easier for him.

I have to disagree. It isn't EASIER for him. He still gets the job done when he is TRIPLE teamed. I see it in every game, and he is still dominating when this is happening.

hes 6'11" he catches the ball puts it above his head (close to 9' is where the ball is now), he turns around and tosses it in the hoop 16" away.  its easier
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby cityleaguer » Sat Jan 20, 2007 11:46 am

Wildcat wrote:Nobody is HANDING Qvale the Mr. Basketball award. It will be probably be a close vote, but Qvale will win it because, IMO, the North Dakota media will vote him as it and rightfully so. Nobody's handing him anything, he's worked for it and I'm not saying that Kick hasn't either. However, Qvale will get it over Kick and Belohlavek. Kick shut down Shaun Knife....great, I guess. Shame he couldn't have played like that against Qvale. It's a shame he couldn't have played like that against Jordan Wilhelm, though they did win. Dickinson was up by as much as 13 and Bismarck closed it to two points late in the fourth before Dickinson eventually sealed it. Kick had what? 11 points 7 rebounds. Not a bad game I guess.

I believe Kick is a better defender than Wilhelm, yet Wilhem had better numbers in that game. Marcus Fridley did guard Wilhelm for a while too, though. 

By the way, my speculation comments above were sarcastic. Speculation causes way too many problems. Also, saying that it is easier for him because he is 6-11 isn't a very smart comment. Basketball is more than just heighth and Qvale has proved that. He's having the best year of his high school career and he scares teams much more than Kick does.

It's just too bad that he's having the best year of his high school career, and IMO "THE ONLY GOOD YEAR" of his high school career at 6'11".  Too little too late....Kick first team all state 2006 and hasn't exactly gotten worse this year. THANK YOU!
cityleaguer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby hooppride » Sat Jan 20, 2007 1:31 pm

Qvale is just having the best year of his high school career, not his only "good" year. He was all state 2nd team as a sophmore and junior, and has recently broken the 1,000 point mark in his career. He is already on the all time highest rebounding and scoring lists in North Dakota Class A basketball
hooppride

Postby Wildcat » Sat Jan 20, 2007 3:07 pm

baseball wrote:
Fritoman wrote:

hes 6'11" he catches the ball puts it above his head (close to 9' is where the ball is now), he turns around and tosses it in the hoop 16" away.  its easier

baseball, you definitely were a guard in high school. It's easier? Hmm, yea its so easy being double and triple teamed in the paint where players are elbowing and fighting for position. Boy that's so easy, to turn and shoot.

If you're going to go that route, then fine. Kick should make every shot. He gets screens set for him and his shots aren't nearly as contested as Qvale, so he should make more. Sure his shots may be contested, but Qvale faces a double team every time he shoots the ball. That's very ignorant to say that its easier because he "turns" and tosses it in the hoop.

Qvale is a better overall player. Okay, so maybe Kick has a few more offensive talents. I don't agree with that statement, but I'll give it the beneift of the doubt. Fine. However, Qvale is that much better defensively and that easily makes up for it.

One of the things I was most impressed with in the Williston/Dickinson game was his ability to pass out of double teams. By the way, he made two shots from the elbow in that game, so he wasn't parked by the hoop.
Wildcat
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Wildcat » Sat Jan 20, 2007 3:07 pm

by the way, is East Region basketball really that bad this year? I haven't had a chance to see any games.

Is Kramer the only thought of a candidate out there?
Last edited by Wildcat on Sat Jan 20, 2007 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wildcat
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby 3sport » Sat Jan 20, 2007 5:40 pm

After what belohlavek did tonight against dickinson and just took over imo he has to be top candidate for mr. basketball
3sport
NDPreps Starter

Postby biggie » Sat Jan 20, 2007 5:53 pm

baseball wrote:
Fritoman wrote:

I'm sure that's how it goes.  He had 3-4 guys on him tonight.  Man that is easy.  :rolleyes:
biggie
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby biggie » Sat Jan 20, 2007 5:54 pm

Wildcat wrote:
baseball wrote:
Fritoman wrote:

baseball, you definitely were a guard in high school. It's easier? Hmm, yea its so easy being double and triple teamed in the paint where players are elbowing and fighting for position. Boy that's so easy, to turn and shoot.

If you're going to go that route, then fine. Kick should make every shot. He gets screens set for him and his shots aren't nearly as contested as Qvale, so he should make more. Sure his shots may be contested, but Qvale faces a double team every time he shoots the ball. That's very ignorant to say that its easier because he "turns" and tosses it in the hoop.

Qvale is a better overall player. Okay, so maybe Kick has a few more offensive talents. I don't agree with that statement, but I'll give it the beneift of the doubt. Fine. However, Qvale is that much better defensively and that easily makes up for it.

One of the things I was most impressed with in the Williston/Dickinson game was his ability to pass out of double teams. By the way, he made two shots from the elbow in that game, so he wasn't parked by the hoop.

I have to agree with you!
biggie
NDPreps All-Conference

PreviousNext

Return to Boys