State A Tournamant

Class AA Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

State A Tournamant

Postby Sorenson23 » Sun Mar 06, 2022 3:58 am

State A Tournament
@ Bismarck Event Center; March 10, 11, & 12

Thursday March 10th
G1 - W#1 (1) Minot def E#4 (RV) Fargo North 73-72 OT
G2 - E#2 (5) West Fargo Sheyenne def W#3 Mandan 61-48
G3 - E#1 (2) Fargo Davies def @ W#4 Century 84-72
G4 - E#3 (RV) West Fargo def W#2 Bismarck 87-64

Friday March 11th
G5 - E#4 (RV) Fargo North def W#3 Mandan 57-43
G6 - W#4 (3) Century def W#2 (4) Bismarck 96-62
G7 - W#1 (1) Minot def E#2 (5) West Fargo Sheyenne 64-61 2OT
G8 - E#3 (RV) West Fargo def E#1 (2) Fargo Davies 78-72

Saturday March 12th
G9 - 5th Place - W#4 (3) Century def E#4 (RV) Fargo North 65-63
G10 - 3rd Place - E#1 (2) Fargo Davies def E#2 (5) West Fargo Sheyenne 74-52
G11 - State A Title Game - W#1 (1) Minot def E#3 (RV) West Fargo (20-6) 73-62

State A Champions - (1) Minot (25-2)
Runner Up - (RV) West Fargo (20-7)
3rd - (2) Fargo Davies (24-3)
4th - (5) West Fargo Sheyenne (20-7)
5th - (3) Century (21-7)
6th - (RV) Fargo North (17-11)
Last edited by Sorenson23 on Sun Mar 13, 2022 6:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sorenson23
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Re: State A Tournamant

Postby Sorenson23 » Sat Mar 12, 2022 2:37 am

Updated
Sorenson23
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby braves84 » Sun Mar 13, 2022 8:25 am

First and foremost this isn't a shot directed towards the Watford City boys basketball coach moreso at the people who voted on post season awards.

To give coach of the year in class a to the coach of a team that went winless all season is a joke and the people who voted on this should all have their credibility questioned... Complete farce

If I was a coach at any level in high school I would withdraw my name from any consideration of future awards because it means absolutely nothing.

Again this isn't a knock on the coach at Watford city, rather the voting committee... Means less than nothing..
braves84
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Flip » Sun Mar 13, 2022 9:08 am

It is voted on by the coaches.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby WalkingStick » Sun Mar 13, 2022 12:32 pm

braves84 wrote:First and foremost this isn't a shot directed towards the Watford City boys basketball coach moreso at the people who voted on post season awards.

To give coach of the year in class a to the coach of a team that went winless all season is a joke and the people who voted on this should all have their credibility questioned... Complete farce

If I was a coach at any level in high school I would withdraw my name from any consideration of future awards because it means absolutely nothing.

Again this isn't a knock on the coach at Watford city, rather the voting committee... Means less than nothing..

Well then you are knocking all of Class A’s coaches! Watford City has dealt with a tragic in-season death of a team member this year and being stuck in a level that they cannot compete in…but they showed up EVERY night without complaint and played the game; and he coached hard every night! Sometimes it has nothing to do with the win-loss total…and the Class A coaches resonated that this year!!
One Stop Shop for All North Dakota Scores
https://www.northdakotaprepscoreboards.com/

"Control what you can control...Can't fix ignorant people"
WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby braves84 » Mon Mar 14, 2022 7:53 am

Walking stick , I specifically said i wasn't taking a shot at the Watford City coach.
I guess I am going after the class A coaches, good ole boy participation award..
Every team faces some form of adversity through out the year.
Here's a point of reference for you when you say Watford City is at a level they can't compete.
Beulah miners were class A from 1998-99 season thru the 2005-06 season.
1998, they took 7th out of 9 teams
1999, 5th out of 9 teams
2000, 9th place out of 9
2001, 5th out of 9 teams
2002, couldn't find info.
2003, 5th out of 9 teams..
2004, 5th out of 9 teams.
2005, last year in class A they took 4th out if 8 teams...
The miners made the state class A tournament in year two in class A
Beulah was at least competitive for most of their time in class A, it can be done..
braves84
NDPreps Reserve

Postby WalkingStick » Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:55 am

Well they are 1-63 right now after 3 seasons and an average loss around 40 (57 this year) points

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby braves84 » Mon Mar 14, 2022 11:17 am

Walkingstick, that's my point coaches need to be called out on this, by the media or somebody but nobody will.
What did they see that justifies coach of the year, other than you have to give the Watford city program something...again participation trophy..
Again nothing against the Watford City team or coaches... Just against the people behind the vote...
braves84
NDPreps Reserve

Postby WalkingStick » Mon Mar 14, 2022 11:38 am

braves84 wrote:Walkingstick, that's my point coaches need to be called out on this, by the media or somebody but nobody will.
What did they see that justifies coach of the year, other than you have to give the Watford city program something...again participation trophy..
Again nothing against the Watford City team or coaches... Just against the people behind the vote...

Every team finished about where we all thought. Vote was likely done before WDA tournament started otherwise maybe Mandan receives consideration. I'm sure there is more criteria to the award and nominations then just winning percentage and finish in the region.

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby braves84 » Mon Mar 14, 2022 11:57 am

So what other criteria should be used if not the ones you mentioned?
Do you honestly believe he was the best coach in all of class A, wda or edc?
braves84
NDPreps Reserve

Postby WalkingStick » Mon Mar 14, 2022 12:27 pm

braves84 wrote:So what other criteria should be used if not the ones you mentioned?
Do you honestly believe he was the best coach in all of class A, wda or edc?

Sometimes, you look at doing the most with what you have. We all knew Minot, Century, Bismarck were going to be good in WDA. I don't always agree with the award going to a coach loaded with talent...I like seeing other coaches awarded or nominated. For State awards there are always additional coaches on the ballot then just the winner of the region award...usually the winning region team's coach is listed at State as well.

I don't follow Class A as closely as others...more of a B follower but I run scores for the state. I think it was a nice gesture by the coaches who voted, who know the coach personally, who know what changes he's made or what adversity the team has had to deal with and how he has guided them or helped improve the team.

There is more to sports than just winning...and I think the other coaches saw the little things.

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Return to Boys