Mr. Basketball?

Class AA Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby ND_SportsNut » Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:58 am

Let me hear who you think is most deserving of Mr.Basketball and why?  My vote goes to mertens
Last edited by ND_SportsNut on Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ND_SportsNut

Postby ndsubball » Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:49 am

merty, hes averaging like 20 points a game 13 rebounds and almost 3 blocks a game
ndsubball

Postby vcfan1 » Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:36 pm

How can anyone not pick Mertens?  Look at that kids stats, look at the team success.  I know individual stats don't make the best player, but when the team is undefeated and they have other big scorers, he must not be trying to do it all himself.
vcfan1

Postby Snake_DL » Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:56 am

I dont think that anyone but Merty can take home Mr. Basketball.  Last year it was Hennesy, what a joke!  Mertens put up a lot better numbers than anyone in the state LAST YEAR, as a Junior.  This senior year is rediculus, Travis Mertens Mr. Basketball no questions asked.
Snake_DL
NDPreps Rookie

Postby theefollman » Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:14 am

I believe Travis Mertens has had an outstanding High School Career and if he doesnt get it than it was rigged. Noone can stop the guy. If he has a bad game its not that a guy is stopping him. It is just an off night. And he doesnt have many of those. If he does have an off night shooting he will step up with a bunch of boards. He shot 1-17 in VC and he still was in double figures. He can make his free throws and comes in in the clutch. He has averaged over 15 points since he was a sophomore.
theefollman
NDPreps Reserve

Postby ChurchesFerry1 » Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:00 am

Who else has 1,000 points and 500 rebounds only one i can think of is the one and only traviis mertens. MERTYS MY HERO
ChurchesFerry1

Postby NATURAL TALENT » Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:42 am

Looks like the site has gotten over run by Devils Lake residents.
NATURAL TALENT
NDPreps All-State

Postby Ming01 » Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:42 am

How can you say that Hennessey winning Mr. Basketball last year was a joke?  He was truly the best player in the state last year.  Gonzaga even wanted him to walk on there.  Anyways, Mertens will win Mr. Basketball, he is a phenomenal player and has ridiculous stats.
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby Double Bonus » Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:38 am

Mertens should be Mr. Basketball and I'm not from Devils Lake. Payton Tivis of Bowman should be a finalist.

If anybody thinks Hennessy was a joke last year then they didn't see a lot of Williston games. He did have a bad game against Bismarck at state but one bad game shouldn't stop you from winning an award. If you wonder about Hennessy's value to Williston, then take a look at this year's team. I really think they have struggled without Hennessy on the court.
Double Bonus

Postby vcfan1 » Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:11 pm

hey natural talent...whos your pick to win then? since you are not from devils lake i guess you better not pick mertens huh? even though he is the best player in the state.  people can vote for him whether they are from dl or not. so why dont you quit crying and realize some facts.
vcfan1

Postby Kujava » Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:45 am

Mr. Basketball is a great award to win and whoever wins it will be deserved. Henessey last year was a great player and you can see how much Williston misses him this year. There are a couple of great Class B players in the state, but I would argue with anyone that Mr. Mertens entire game is tops in North Dakota.
Kujava

Postby ndfan » Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:51 am

I'm a class B guy but there is no doubt in my mind that Mertens deserves the award this year. I just wouldn't beable to name a class B guy that deserves it more then he does.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby NATURAL TALENT » Fri Feb 10, 2006 4:44 pm

vcfan, maybe you should re-read my post. Where in there did i make a pick for Mr. Basketball? Where in there did I say mertens shouldnt be a legitimate finalist? Look at the 3 prior posts to mine, maybe if you open up your eyes you will see it all.

My picks for Mr. Basketball Finalists

TOP 3:

Mertens

Tivis

Voth

In case anybody hasnt been watching, Jaden Voth has been having an incredible year as well. He averages 26.5ppg 7.5 rpg at 5'11 and shoots 59% fgp.

Without any of these guys on there teams, they would not be anywhere near as good as they are.
NATURAL TALENT
NDPreps All-State

Postby theefollman » Sat Feb 11, 2006 5:44 am

SCC wrote:You can only take the Mr. Basketball award with a grain of salt.  When's the last time a Class B player won the award?  Mid 90s MAYBE???  Anyone have a history on that?

The last i can remember didnt Travis Kraft of M-P-C-G win Mr Basketball for the last time for a class B school. I am not quiet sure but that is the last time i can think of that happening.
theefollman
NDPreps Reserve

Postby theefollman » Sat Feb 11, 2006 5:57 am

Oh my bad i thought he did. I will try to find it.
theefollman
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Ming01 » Sat Feb 11, 2006 10:28 am

I think the last class B mr. basketball winner was Hunter Berg of Grenora I believe.  Someone correct me if im wrong though.
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby bruins44 » Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:34 am

SCC wrote:You can only take the Mr. Basketball award with a grain of salt.  When's the last time a Class B player won the award?  Mid 90s MAYBE???  Anyone have a history on that?

2005 Hennessy-Williston,

2004 Moorman-Dickinson,

2003-Koenig-Fargo North,

2002 Leikas-Fargo North,

2001 Dobmeier-Fargo South,

2000 Terry-Valley City,

1999 Brant-Minot,

1998 Boschee-Valley City,

1997 Sturdevant-Bismarck Century,

1996 Younger-Minot High,

1995 Berg-Grenora

so Class A has won Mr Basketball the past 10 years, and it looks like Mertens will win it this year..
bruins44
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby NDSportsFan » Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:40 am

Nice research Bruins44

I like to follow Class B but I don't think Mr. Basketball has that much to do with A vs. B.  If an A guy gets it, good for him. 
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby bruins44 » Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:43 am

NDSportsFan wrote: Nice research Bruins44

I like to follow Class B but I don't think Mr. Basketball has that much to do with A vs. B.  If an A guy gets it, good for him. 

I agree,  sometimes the A boys get more press so if a writer that votes has not seen a B player play they will vote for the A kid... not getting to the state tournament hurts the class B player much more than the A player
bruins44
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Ming01 » Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:46 am

Even though a B player hasnt won Mr. Basketball for 10 years, I believe their have been more B canidates for the award then A canidates.  But Bruins44 you are right A players do get more publicity.
Last edited by Ming01 on Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby ole_3m » Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:16 pm

I would have to agree that A players do get more publicity, until tournament time.  But, not having a state tournament for B could hurt their chances because those are big games and a good solid player is a player that steps up in those big games.  But, I would have to say that if they are a candidate for Mr. Basketball they should have some publicity before tournaments.  I am just wondering when exactly do they vote for Mr. Basketball?  I always thought that they picked before the State A tournament someone correct me on that or agree so that I know.  I am wondering because I have always heard that for like hockey they pick before the state tournament but I may be wrong on that one too.
ole_3m
NDPreps Reserve

Postby ndfan » Sun Feb 12, 2006 7:50 pm

The ND media votes for this award i believe, so how many media members get to vote for mr. basketball? Is it all big town media like Fargo, GF, Bismarck, Minot, Dickinson any class B towns? Why don't coaches vote for this award I think this award would be more legit. I would think coaches see more games then the media does. my opinion maybe someone could enlighten me a little more on how voting works for mr. basketball.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Double Bonus » Sun Feb 12, 2006 8:06 pm

I talked to a friend who is a media member. Any media outlet that is a member of the sportswriters and sports casters association can vote and that does include the smaller market media. Coaches opinions are taken into consideration. My friend also pointed out that the media has their award and the coaches have their awards, which is senior athlete of the year, which gives the coaches a chance to vote. My friend also said that the coaches award gets recognition at the tournaments and the media award isn't allowed to be announced at the tournament as part of the awards ceremony. The media award is just announced on radio and TV that night and in the newspapers the next day. So, both the coaches and the media have their own awards.
Double Bonus

Postby ndfan » Sun Feb 12, 2006 8:10 pm

How do they come up with Finalist for Mr. Basketball is it media can just vote for anybody they choose or are they given certain players to choose from? Cause with coaches award you have to be named senior of the year in your region i think to be a finalist.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby sarge01 » Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:05 pm

What exactly is the criteria for Mr. Basketball?  Is it ALL just based on stats, ect....or are other factors involved such as grades, and what not???
sarge01
NDPreps Rookie

Next

Return to Boys