Aanen Moody

Class AA Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Aanen Moody

Postby balla45 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:37 am

Just a few questions.

1. Has a Class A player scored more than 29.9 points per game before?
2. Has a Class A player ever scored 1000 points in a single season?
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Re: Aanen Moody

Postby d_fense » Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:21 am

I don't recall any A player scoring more than 29.9 points a game. Tanner Kretchman scored 29.2ppg his senior year for a total of 730. I can't believe a class A player has ever scored 1000 points in a single season. That would be 40ppg in a 25 game season or 35.7ppg in a 28 game season.
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby balla45 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:33 pm

Am curious if Moody is likely to set the single season scoring record this season then. I believe he is at 694. Also am wondering if Kretchman is the one who currently has it.

Moody and Eikens both on pace to go well over 2000 career points barring injury.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby d_fense » Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:46 pm

balla45 wrote:Am curious if Moody is likely to set the single season scoring record this season then. I believe he is at 694. Also am wondering if Kretchman is the one who currently has it.

Moody and Eikens both on pace to go well over 2000 career points barring injury.

Moody's scoring is very impressive. He is scoring 1.53 points per shot, which is incredibly efficient. Anytime someone can be over 1.35 over a long stretch, it is very good. He is converting on 56% of his 2 point shots and a very respectable 37% from three. Most impressive of all, he is making 90% of his free throws (184/205).

Eikens is an incredible athlete, but his offensive numbers are not very impressive. 1.09 points per shot, 40% from 2, 24% from 3, and only 48% from the free throw line.
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby east sider » Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:22 pm

Boschee had to have been close his Sr. year, but I don't know for sure.
east sider
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flip » Sun Mar 13, 2016 6:58 pm

east sider wrote:Boschee had to have been close his Sr. year, but I don't know for sure.

IIRC Boschee was like 25 ppg his senior year and Nick Jacobson was like 29 ppg that same year. Jacobson was a junior.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby MoSiouxFan » Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:32 pm

balla45 wrote:Just a few questions.

1. Has a Class A player scored more than 29.9 points per game before?
2. Has a Class A player ever scored 1000 points in a single season?

Going back to my day, I'm thinking that Paul Presthus (sp.) and/or Phil Jackson may have exceeded the 29.9 per game their senior year, but probably not the 1,000 pt. season. As I remember, they both put up 30+ fairly often, and they had some epic battles when their teams played against each other. 1962 RHS boys champs honored

It’s been 50 years since they raised the trophy

March 30, 2012

By Carlan Kraft , Pierce County Tribune

Save | Post a comment |

Fifty years ago the Rugby High School boys basketball team won the state championship title playing as a Class A team. On Friday night, March 9, members of the team, cheerleaders, team managers, and their coaches were honored during half time of the 2012 State Class A Tournament in Fargo.

The following is the account that was written by Carlan Kraft, a member of the team, and read at the ceremony.

"The Rugby Panthers entered the State Class A Tournament in March of 1962 as the number one seed out of the West with a 15-3 record.

In the first round of the tournament, the Panthers defeated Park River, 70-53. In the second round, the Panthers defeated Fargo, 57-51, when Paul Presthus scored 44 points and set a state tournament record.

The championship game pitted the Panthers against the Williston Coyotes for the third time during the season. The battles between Rugby, led by Paul Presthus, and Williston, led by Phil Jackson, were epic. The championship game ended, as had the previous Western Dakota games, with the Panthers winning. The Rugby Panthers prevailed over the Williston Coyotes by a score of 73-61 and brought home their first Class A State Championship
- See more at: http://thepiercecountytribune.com/page/ ... pufbattles when they played against each other.
MoSiouxFan
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby east sider » Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:43 am

Flip wrote:
east sider wrote:Boschee had to have been close his Sr. year, but I don't know for sure.

IIRC Boschee was like 25 ppg his senior year and Nick Jacobson was like 29 ppg that same year. Jacobson was a junior.

That's right, I forgot about Jacobson. Shame he didn't stay for his Sr. year. Hope I get to see Moody live in action next year.
east sider
NDPreps Starter

Postby jveigel » Sun Dec 25, 2016 2:43 pm

Going back a long time I remember Presthus having 2 consecutive 44 point games in the final 2 games of the tournament. He was the best player I had ever seen during the time I was in school. I was less familiar with Phil Jackson. Attending Marquette I saw Presthus, playing for Minnesota, and he was not very effective. Ultimately, Jackson became a better basketball player.
jveigel
NDPreps Rookie

Postby d_fense » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:53 am

Congratulations to Aanen for becoming the states all time leading scorer in Class A.
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby wem » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:10 am

This is a great accomplishment no matter what the circumstances are; but we have to remember that some of the players being discussed are pre 3 point arch athletes. They did it the 2 point way.
wem
NDPreps Starter

Postby UND Fan » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:59 pm

Ballas (and others who have seen Moody play a lot) - how good of a college BB player do you expect him to be at the Big Sky/Summit level?
UND Fan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby balla45 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:28 pm

I think he is a 2-3 year starter who is a potential all conference caliber guy his last 2 seasons.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby Makotifarmguy » Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:31 pm

I think he sits for 2 yrs and transfers.

Now before I am accused of being a hater, please understand that I wish this kid the best. I wish all our ND kids who go onto the collegiate level their best but this is my opinion. I just think ND still has a lost concept on what it takes to play at that level.

Would have been nice to see Moody at WSC for 2 yrs getting stronger while possibly becoming an all-American.

If I am wrong and he plays, then I will be happy that I am wrong....it means he was successful.

Don't beat on me too much. I am an old man who loves watching ND college ball.

Merry Christmas.
"Take the bull by the horns"
Makotifarmguy
NDPreps Starter

Postby Makotifarmguy » Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:40 am

Well, I wasn't too far off. Wish this kid the best but it is hard to see him leave the state. Had he gone to WSC, he would have seen 60 games and probably would have been an All-American...and would have had his pick of DI schools.

ND families need to wake up. The quality of our basketball players is below what we really think they can do. It not cool but it is the truth. Sorry for the rant but I am so tired of seeing kids leave or just sit on benches at schools they just can't play at.
Makotifarmguy
NDPreps Starter

Postby Baller » Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:04 am

I'm not quite so sure that was the case here... He averaged almost 10 points a game as a redshirt freshman and got hurt this year so its not like he was just sitting on the bench for two years.

https://www.inforum.com/sports/basketba ... mfort-zone
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby packers21 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:23 pm

Makotifarmguy wrote:Well, I wasn't too far off. Wish this kid the best but it is hard to see him leave the state. Had he gone to WSC, he would have seen 60 games and probably would have been an All-American...and would have had his pick of DI schools.

ND families need to wake up. The quality of our basketball players is below what we really think they can do. It not cool but it is the truth. Sorry for the rant but I am so tired of seeing kids leave or just sit on benches at schools they just can't play at.

Agree with alot of this post. I wish kids didn't look at the JUCO route with some a negative image. I believe alot of it comes from parents who don't understand the process.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby balla45 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:51 am

Makotifarmguy wrote:Well, I wasn't too far off. Wish this kid the best but it is hard to see him leave the state. Had he gone to WSC, he would have seen 60 games and probably would have been an All-American...and would have had his pick of DI schools.

I tend to think you were fairly far off. He played a lot his redshirt freshman year and was objectively successful. The coaches that recruited him moved on to other schools and then he got hurt.

Moody probably did have the ability to be an All-American at a JuCo and go to a D1, but he was a successful player at a D1 and going to another D1. I imagine if Jones and Grabowski stay at UND for the entirety of Moody's career, he is a 1200+ point scorer for them. Who would be unhappy with that career for a guy from Dickinson?

As it stands now, Moody has 351 career points shooting 40% from 3 with 2-3 years of eligibility left, as opposed to in your scenario potentially having been a JuCo All-American looking to get on at a D1 somewhere.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby Sportsrube » Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:34 pm

Just doing a quick check of the Junior Colleges in ND: I got these numbers off their team websites today.

WIlliston: 4 of 12 players on the men's team and 1 of 8 on the women's team are from ND.

Lake Region: 6 of 9 players on the men's team and 8 of 13 players on the women's team are from ND.

DAC Bottineau: 1 of 13 players on the men's team and 8 of 11 players on the women's team are from ND.

NDSCS: 0 of 14 players on the men's team and 0 of 14 players on the women's team are from ND.

BSC: 12 of 14 players on the men's team and 11 of 14 players on the women's team are from ND.

Men players from ND - 23/62 (37%) Women players from ND - 28/60 47%

Looks like some Junior Colleges focus on ND players and some don't. I know BSC's men's team was not very successful last year, but their women's team sure was.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Makotifarmguy » Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:04 pm

Balla45- I guess we will have to agree to disagree. If he was all that successful, he wouldn't be leaving.

He sat for a full year and watched basketball. Then played in 30 games but started none. Let's break those first two years down.. Had he gone to WSC, his numbers would be completely different...60 games, probably starting 60 games, points? no clue but strong I am sure, All-American to his name..with the possibility of helping take a team to NCJAA Nationals in Kansas???? Wonder what his D1 options would have been? And the experience of playing against some of the top players at the D1 level.

One only has to look at a few top examples of what the D1 juco can do for your career.. Hunter Berg, Luke Martinez, Travis Mertans, Fred Fridley, and the list goes on.
Makotifarmguy
NDPreps Starter

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:22 pm

I think we are forgetting that He was injured this past season and that that played a role in lost playing time...or are we saying that he never would have gotten hurt at the JuCo level? Who knows what his season would have been had he been healthy the whole year...
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby balla45 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:19 am

Makotifarmguy wrote:Balla45- I guess we will have to agree to disagree. If he was all that successful, he wouldn't be leaving.

He sat for a full year and watched basketball. Then played in 30 games but started none. Let's break those first two years down.. Had he gone to WSC, his numbers would be completely different...60 games, probably starting 60 games, points? no clue but strong I am sure, All-American to his name..with the possibility of helping take a team to NCJAA Nationals in Kansas???? Wonder what his D1 options would have been? And the experience of playing against some of the top players at the D1 level.

One only has to look at a few top examples of what the D1 juco can do for your career.. Hunter Berg, Luke Martinez, Travis Mertans, Fred Fridley, and the list goes on.

I would argue that statistically, Aanen Moody was a successful Division 1 redshirt freshman and sophomore basketball player. The staff that recruited him moved on. He stayed, he got hurt, and then he moved on to a different staff. This is quite common at that level.

I do believe that, for the most part, Division 1 basketball is played at an overall higher level than Division 1 JuCo basketball. It does seem logical that he would have higher averages playing JuCo basketball.

What do you think his D1 options would have been? He is a talented offensive player that is limited athletically at the D1 level. Do you anticipate that he is getting high major offers after playing JuCo? I do not.

UND did play some of the top teams at the D1 level. Not really sure what you meant by that sentence. Would he have played more D1 talent if he had played at a JuCo?

Hunter Berg went JuCo and ended up at UND. Lucas Martinez went JuCo and ended up at Wyoming. Travis Mertens went JuCo and ended up at UND. Fred Fridley went JuCo and ended up at NDSU. Your list can go on and on but I am not seeing what is better about the situation of any player in your list when compared to the situation of Moody.

Aanen Moody went to UND and transferred to SUU.

Please elaborate as to how going JuCo to end up at UND would have been a better situation than going to UND and transferring to SUU.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby Makotifarmguy » Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:09 pm

Please elaborate as to how going JuCo to end up at UND would have been a better situation than going to UND and transferring to SUU.

Sorry, its spring time with lots of calves on the ground, hence my late reply.

I never said Juco then to UND. I said Juco...then where ever he felt comfortable or where he would have fit a role. I'm not sure how much more I could elaborate. He goes Juco, he gets 60 games, probably an All-American title, possibility of a NCJAA tournament bid, and the possibility of being seen by others besides UND.

Instead, he sat on a bench for a year before playing (not starting) for 2 years.....obviously unhappy and is now transferring.

Do you anticipate that he is getting high major offers after playing JuCo? I do not.

Actually I do. He would have seen more time on the court and the possibility of a better resume.

I can see your viewpoint but we will have to agree to disagree on this one. I wish the kid all the best. Hope he heals up and is 100% next season.
Makotifarmguy
NDPreps Starter

Postby balla45 » Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:56 am

I did not notice that you posted until now.

We will have to agree to disagree. I do not want to elaborate as to why I disagree with so many things that you have posted because I will not be able to do so without picking at deficiencies that Aanen has, and I refuse to do that.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby balla45 » Sun Feb 12, 2023 12:33 am

Aanen Moody went over 1000 career Division 1 point today.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Return to Boys