Wahpeton

Class AA Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Wahpeton

Postby heimer » Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:29 am

It's rare for me to pay compliments on this forum. Complaining is my thing.

That being said:

That boys basketball team from Wahpeton I saw last night is, quite frankly, perhaps the best boys basketball team I have ever seen, and I've seen a few.

Granted, there may not be a Tyler Koenig-Jeff Boschee-AJ Jacobson standout on that team.

It does not matter at all.

They play fast, they play physical, and they never, ever quit defending. If the numbers are correct, they will be allowing around 50 points a game after last nights win over Red River.

Tom Nelson found the baseline all night. Blaze Irwin went to the basket. The bench hit key shots. They are about 9 players deep.

The thing that stood out is they have absolutely no fear to play physical. If they didn't win the transition game on a possession, they drove through the traffic, and, on plenty of occasions, had no issue initiating contact, strong contact, for space to shoot.

It was evident in the fact that Wahpeton was hit for a half-dozen offensive fouls last night.

Nothing phased that team. They were businesslike, never played emotionally, they flat out wore a team down and hit them on the head when it was time to finish.

I don't recall seeing a team with that kind of lineup through the bench rotation. They are a machine. January 3rd @ #1 Minot will be worth the price of admission.
God is bigger than football.
heimer
NDPreps All-State

Re: Wahpeton

Postby winner-within » Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:59 pm

I would like to see them play....love that style of ball "business like, physical, no emotion, solid D"
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Mighty-Mouse » Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:28 pm

Can't wait to see them on the 3rd
"Here I am to save the day!"
Mighty-Mouse
NDPreps All-State

Postby MinotBison » Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:11 am

37-27 at the half, Minot wins big 79-49.
MinotBison
NDPreps Starter

Postby Sniper » Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:22 pm

Heimer, does that make Minot the best team you have ever watched or did you just overestimate Wahpeton?
Sniper
NDPreps All-State

Postby go maji » Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:51 pm

Minot was just the faster, bigger team. They out-hustled Whap to almost every loose ball, thus leading to fast breaks. Minot also got a ton of open looks at three, as opposed to Whapeton, who didn't get many.
go maji
NDPreps All-State

Postby MHSFan50 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:33 am

Minot is a solid team all around. They have so much depth, and if someone if having an off night there are plenty of others that will step up and contribute. Defensively, they are as intense as any team I've seen in past years. They are able to use their depth to run for an entire 36 minutes, and they look like they are really having fun out there. They really appear to be in it for each other. You see that when they are able to clear the bench, and there is genuine happiness seeing everyone have the chance to get on the score sheet. Fun to watch these guys play.
MHSFan50
NDPreps Reserve

Postby ndbasketballfan007 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:15 pm

I watched the Red River and MInot game and Minot and Wahp game. Red River had many chances to get back in the game ,but Minots depth would put a run on every few minutes. Also Not sure why but Red River started 3 Juniors and 2 Sophs, Keplin lone seniors who plays lots of minutes played of the bench. Also 6'7'Braedan Hansons first game back was against Minot. If they want to get better they have a nice young team. Not bad for losing 4 all staters in the last couple years. PLus they worked hard. I heard RR didnt look so good in Wahpeton, but that place has been known to do that to teams (hanson didnt play). Going to be interesting when RR plays Wahp at home. Interesting to see how the young teams improve and how the senior lead teams improve. EDC going to be interesting close race this year. Devils Lake another young team who will do nothing ,but improve . Good luck to all teams - but as of know Minot is the team to beat.
ndbasketballfan007
NDPreps Starter

Postby vikingman » Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:03 pm

btw, the Wahp-Red River game is here if you want to judge for yourself:
http://www.webcast50.com.prod.ngin.com/ ... ast-events
vikingman
NDPreps All-State

Postby RedDirtFan » Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:15 pm

I watched this team at the EDC tournament this past weekend. It's hard to believe that a city of roughly 8000 had so many great athletes in a grouping like this, but they sure are fun to watch. What I like best is how they go about their business regardless of how the game's going. The kids have all bought in to what they do offensively and defensively. They don't break out of what they do best. They don't panic. They're level headed and cool under pressure. A very, very fun team to watch. I'll be tuning in to the state tournament webcast, if I get a chance.
RedDirtFan
NDPreps Starter

Postby heimer » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:22 am

So, the admins saw fit to delete my answer on this post.

I said, plainly, for all of the illiterate world to attempt to read, the team "that night" was one of the best I'd ever seen.

I made no statement about their abilities every night, or expectations for the year. I was perfectly aware that Wahpeton is a different team away from home than they are at home.

Still, open your eyes and read a post. Apparently Valley City's reading program is superior to the rest of the state, or at least the schools that send posters to this site.
God is bigger than football.
heimer
NDPreps All-State

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:03 pm

heimer wrote:So, the admins saw fit to delete my answer on this post.

I said, plainly, for all of the illiterate world to attempt to read, the team "that night" was one of the best I'd ever seen.

I made no statement about their abilities every night, or expectations for the year. I was perfectly aware that Wahpeton is a different team away from home than they are at home.

Still, open your eyes and read a post. Apparently Valley City's reading program is superior to the rest of the state, or at least the schools that send posters to this site.

heimer, no one has deleted one of your posts in a long time.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Return to Boys