I gots me an idea

Class AA Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

I gots me an idea

Postby go maji » Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:37 am

I know us class "A" fans are tired of playing the same old teams every year. Sooooo, I was thinking. Instead of playing the same teams, why not have tournaments like class "B"? The "A" team can host and they can invite multiple "B" local teams. Or "B" host.

It would mix things up abit and possibly create rivalries. Maybe it could even make the "B" teams better for playing a "higher quality opponent". Same with the "A" teams. They could also see schemes and offenses they haven't seen before.
go maji
NDPreps All-State

Re: I gots me an idea

Postby balla45 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:02 am

Interesting idea. I don't think there are enough Class B teams at a high enough caliber for it to work, especially in girls.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby Baller » Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:46 pm

The issue is that there is maximum number of games that can be played. Class A schools can't even play each team in their conference twice let alone schedule class B schools. The St. Mary's holiday tournament used to be awesome but with 10-11 schools in each conference, there just aren't enough games to do something like that.
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby layup » Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:07 pm

I like the idea. It would be nice if teams were allowed 1 three or four game tournament with the current schedule. Look at all the games and tournaments allowed in volleyball. Don't necescarily agree with the girls basketball comment. Might be the other way around.
layup
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Indy5 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:14 pm

balla45 wrote:Interesting idea. I don't think there are enough Class B teams at a high enough caliber for it to work, especially in girls.

I agree with this. The thought is that class A teams don't want to schedule down because they have nothing to gain. I don't think they'd have a problem playing a B team if they've proven to be competitive. Shanley vs Bishop Ryan on the girls side is an example this year.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby balla45 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:52 pm

layup wrote:I like the idea. It would be nice if teams were allowed 1 three or four game tournament with the current schedule. Look at all the games and tournaments allowed in volleyball. Don't necescarily agree with the girls basketball comment. Might be the other way around.

After Bishop Ryan and Shiloh Christian, I can not imagine any Class B team would be remotely competitive with a Fargo Shanley, a Fargo Davies, a Century, a Minot, etc. There are always those who break the trend, but I do not think there would be enough competition for it to be worthwhile. Imagine Fargo Shanley playing Fargo Oak Grove or Minot playing Our Redeemer's.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby go maji » Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:51 pm

balla45 wrote:
layup wrote:I like the idea. It would be nice if teams were allowed 1 three or four game tournament with the current schedule. Look at all the games and tournaments allowed in volleyball. Don't necescarily agree with the girls basketball comment. Might be the other way around.

After Bishop Ryan and Shiloh Christian, I can not imagine any Class B team would be remotely competitive with a Fargo Shanley, a Fargo Davies, a Century, a Minot, etc. There are always those who break the trend, but I do not think there would be enough competition for it to be worthwhile. Imagine Fargo Shanley playing Fargo Oak Grove or Minot playing Our Redeemer's.

There are some tournaments in college, where some teams aren't in the same stratesphere as others. I'm not saying that's what would happen if it happened here, b ut maybe.

Also, how many times did Ryan blow teams out last year? I'm gueassing quite a few times.

But most importantly, it would be fun for the players playing teams they have never played before.
go maji
NDPreps All-State

Postby layup » Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:14 pm

Just so I didn't leave the wrong impression. I just meant that I think girls b teams would be at least as competitive as the boys b teams would be. How competitive that is, I have no idea. Of course A would win most games. So what.
layup
NDPreps Reserve

Postby balla45 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:48 am

Speaking as a former player on a successful team, I would have been incredibly annoyed had my team played Shiloh, Flasher, and New Salem instead of Fargo North, Fargo South, and West Fargo, as we would have had three pointless games where we win by 30ish against teams we should beat by 30ish.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:23 am

balla45 wrote:Speaking as a former player on a successful team, I would have been incredibly annoyed had my team played Shiloh, Flasher, and New Salem instead of Fargo North, Fargo South, and West Fargo, as we would have had three pointless games where we win by 30ish against teams we should beat by 30ish.

If anything...they should do a EDC/WDA crossover since most EDC/WDA teams don't see each other during the season unless they meet at State. Do a Friday/Saturday setup in 2 cities (West: Bismarck; East: Fargo or Grand Forks). To balance the matchups bring in maybe a Shiloh or Bishop Ryan to fill the extra West Matchup needed (11 EDC & 10 WDA---including Legacy).

Its another option...
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Return to Boys