WDA Outlook for the 2013-2014 Season

Class AA Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

WDA Outlook for the 2013-2014 Season

Postby Mighty-Mouse » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:39 am

With Basketball around the corner, lets get some chatter on the WDA...

IMO here's how I see them

The WDA is a toss up between 2 teams this year, St Mary's and Century. St Mary and Century are the only real threat for the state title this year from the WDA. Both have very talented teams with depth. This is St Mary's year because there is no next year. Century has a program coming. These 2 teams will roll thru the WDA with 1 lose each and that's to each other.

Bismark, Dickinson, Minot, Mandan, , Turtle Mountain, and Williston will be in for a run for the 3rd to 8th place in the WDA. Bismarck - Don't see much in a WOW team but Miller will be having his team ready for the WDA by the end of the season. Minot - Lost the most to gradution, don't know how this team will respond, not much experience on the varsity court. Only 3 coming back with experience. Big question mark here... Mandan - will be in the running but they need to have someone work with their big Soph kid to get him up and running, he will be a force at the end of the year for Mandan. Turtle Mountain - can make it to state playoff this year if they play as a team, not individauls, talented team but please play as a team, you could be see state playoffs for the first time in a long time... Dickinson - will also be fighting for a 4th place spot this year. Williston - not enough talent to support Jayden this year. Jamestown - 3 wins will be a great season but your scrappy, and I love a scrappy team. You have a great coach, Keep fighting!

So with all this being said here my picks for this coming year for the WDA.

1. St Mary's
2. Century
3. Bismarck
4. Minot
5. Mandan
6. Turtle Mountain
7. Dickinson
8. Williston
9. Jamestown
"Here I am to save the day!"
Mighty-Mouse
NDPreps All-State

Re: WDA Outlook for the 2013-2014 Season

Postby go maji » Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:02 pm

I think Minot has a good shot to make a deep run at state this year. Yes they were hit heavily with graduation, but they are bringing in two sophmores that will most likely start. They will also have more size than they have in a while with two kids over 6'5. In my opinion this team should be better than the team they had last year, and they beat St. Marys last year.
go maji
NDPreps All-State

Postby balla45 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:16 pm

I agree with Saint Mary's and Century as 1-2 in the WDA this year. I like Minot at 3 as of now, but remember that James Iron Eyes will be back for BHS this season, and he is a talent.

I would go.

1. Saint Mary's. They return their key contributors and I think Dekok will do a very good job with them. A bit more depth as far as scoring is concerned when compared to Century. Century will have the edge on the glass.

2.Century. I do not see anyone containing Rudolph this year. Hutchins, Holen, Schatz, Quist, and Feeney create great support for him. Mattern always does a great job.

3. Minot. Hustad returns. Bosh had a very solid year last season as a sophomore, as did Halvorson when he played. They also won the sophomore tournament championship by a large margin last year. I expect their sophomores to have an immediate impact, as well as other aforementioned players. Having Winczewski as your head coach is always beneficial too.

4. Bismarck. Schafer is back. Iron Eyes returns after missing a year. Physical players like Stanley Jones, Jon Tharaldsen, and Dominic Gilbertson are typical Miller players that will get the job done.

5. Dickinson. They actually return a lot. Skabo, Erickson, Herauf, and Jordheim are a pretty good nucleus for a squad. Watch for freshman Aanen Moody to have an impact for them as well.

6. Williston. Ferguson is the best remaining player when compared to Jamestown, Turtle Mountain, and Mandan. My sources also have told me about a junior guard who transferred in from Atlanta who played for the Georgia Stars NIKE EYBL 16u team last season, as well as a transfer from Colorado who is 6'1", and a transfer from Philadelphia. At this point, I have no idea how good these transfers are, but if they are at least decent, I think Williston can be very competitive behind Ferguson.

7 - 9. Tough to say. Mandan lost Erron Collins and three other starters, and has a first year head coach. Always challenging. Jamestown returns a lot, and I like sophomore Logan Anderson. Turtle Mountain will be talented. Keplin, Jeanotte, and Parisien could be a tough match for most squads.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby End90 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:53 pm

Preseason, I would rank:

1. St. Mary's
2. Century
3. Minot
4. Bismarck
5. Dickinson
6. Williston
7. Turtle Mountain
8. Mandan
9. Jamestown

I think that both Minot and/or Bismarck can push St. Mary's and Century for the top 2 spots. Just as Dickinson can push Minot and Bismarck for the 3/4 spots. Williston (if they do have some transfers to help Ferguson) and Turtle Mountain could make things interesting.
End90
NDPreps Starter

Postby Sniper » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:56 am

1. St. Mary's
2. Century
3. Bismarck
4. Minot
5. Dickinson
6. Williston
7. Turtle Mountain
8. Jamestown
9. Mandan
Sniper
NDPreps All-State

Postby observer » Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:23 am

go maji wrote:I think Minot has a good shot to make a deep run at state this year. Yes they were hit heavily with graduation, but they are bringing in two sophmores that will most likely start. They will also have more size than they have in a while with two kids over 6'5. In my opinion this team should be better than the team they had last year, and they beat St. Marys last year.

Sub-varsity basketball, or any high school sport for that matter, is not anywhere near what these sophs will encounter at the varsity level. Did either soph get any meaningful time on the varsity last year? If not IMO at best, they could hope to come together at tourney time...otherwise they are probably a year away.
observer
NDPreps Reserve

Postby WDA_fan » Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:40 pm

1. St. Mary's
2. Century
3. Minot
4. Bismarck

5. Williston
6. Dickinson

7. Mandan
8. Turtle Mountain
9. Jamestown
WDA_fan
NDPreps Starter

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:35 pm

1. Century
2. St. Mary's
3. Bismarck
4. Minot

5. Dickinson
6. Williston
7. Mandan

8. Jamestown
9. Turtle Mountain
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby go maji » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:37 pm

observer wrote:
go maji wrote:I think Minot has a good shot to make a deep run at state this year. Yes they were hit heavily with graduation, but they are bringing in two sophmores that will most likely start. They will also have more size than they have in a while with two kids over 6'5. In my opinion this team should be better than the team they had last year, and they beat St. Marys last year.

Sub-varsity basketball, or any high school sport for that matter, is not anywhere near what these sophs will encounter at the varsity level. Did either soph get any meaningful time on the varsity last year? If not IMO at best, they could hope to come together at tourney time...otherwise they are probably a year away.

My brother goes to school with both of them. All three of them were in off-season scrimmages , including varsity players. From what Iv'e seen, they were two of the the best players on the floor. But like you said, only time will tell.
go maji
NDPreps All-State

Postby balla45 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:11 am

I think Bolinske and Lund will be well acclimated to varsity basketball soon after the season starts. I will take talent and hard work over experience ten times out of ten.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby go maji » Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:00 pm

Even though they didn't play Varsity last year, doesn't mean they have never faced varsity talent.
go maji
NDPreps All-State

Postby Mighty-Mouse » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:34 am

With the season just about over, here is my final WDA standing picks...

Century 19-0 Takes WDAState
St Mary's 16-3
Minot 15-4
Bismarck 13-6
Turtle Mtn 9-10
Dickinson 6-13
Williston 4-15
Jamestown 4-15
Mandan 2-17 misses the WDA
"Here I am to save the day!"
Mighty-Mouse
NDPreps All-State

Postby End90 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:44 am

This may be a little off topic, but it does involve a WDA team. How did TMCHS lose to Dunseith? Nothing against Dunseith, but they are a Class B team with a record that places them in the middle of their District. TMCHS a Class A team with a record that places them in the middle of the WDA. Anyone have any insight on that game.
End90
NDPreps Starter

Postby End90 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:58 pm

Since my last question went over so well (see above), let me try another. It would appear that there may be a few teams tied, WDA record wise, at the end of the season. If same regional records, then what determines seeding for tournament? I figure head to head may be first tie-breaker, but what beyond that?
End90
NDPreps Starter

Postby go maji » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:04 pm

End90 wrote:Since my last question went over so well (see above), let me try another. It would appear that there may be a few teams tied, WDA record wise, at the end of the season. If same regional records, then what determines seeding for tournament? I figure head to head may be first tie-breaker, but what beyond that?

My guesses are either:

point differential between tied teams or

state record
go maji
NDPreps All-State

Postby balla45 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:02 pm

Head to head. Point differential. Then record vs. #1 seed, #2 seed, etc.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Return to Boys