State Tourney

Class AA Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: State Tourney

Postby The Schwab » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:15 pm

While I'm sitting here listening to the BHS student section only cheering negative things and booing during the warmups of the class A title game I can't help but hope that Shanley hangs 100 on them and the game isn't close
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby go maji » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:53 pm

you are one of many my friend.

Were you a neutral fan for the game?

They were probably worse at WDA though. They aren't going to win a spirit award any time soon.
go maji
NDPreps All-State

Postby MARKWALD23 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:56 am

The Shanley kids were just as bad.
MARKWALD23
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Indy5 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:21 am

go maji wrote:you are one of many my friend.

Were you a neutral fan for the game?

They were probably worse at WDA though. They aren't going to win a spirit award any time soon.

I believe this is how crowd's should be. They should want to try and get under the other team's skin. It's not a family barbeque.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby HappyGolf » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:30 am

Although Bismarck's students were pretty bad throughout the tournaments, as a nuetral fan I can say that some of their cheers were clever and actually funny, but others were extremely rude and uncalled for. All in all it seemed like their goal was to get alot of people to hate them and it seemed to work. They just don't care.
HappyGolf
NDPreps Rookie

Postby The Schwab » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:57 am

Indy, in a college game it's one thing, at a high school game it is completely uncalled for. And yes I was a neutral fan
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby go maji » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:54 pm

I wasn't at state, so I can't speak for that. But there are kids in the stands, and at WDA their chants included swearing, and one included a sexual gesture.
go maji
NDPreps All-State

Postby Shaw1 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:39 pm

The boys 3rd place game was a complete joke. CHS coaching staff looked like they could care less what happened. I could see if it was a 5th place game or something, but good grief. Completely mailed it in. Attitude says alot to me.
Shaw1
NDPreps Reserve

Postby scoobyx2 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:18 pm

Shaw1 wrote:The boys 3rd place game was a complete joke. CHS coaching staff looked like they could care less what happened. I could see if it was a 5th place game or something, but good grief. Completely mailed it in. Attitude says alot to me.

I understand that they had just lost the night before in a very emotional game, but it was hard to watch the CHS bench especially when there were players out on the court really trying.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Sportsrube » Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:03 pm

scoobyx2 wrote:
Shaw1 wrote:The boys 3rd place game was a complete joke. CHS coaching staff looked like they could care less what happened. I could see if it was a 5th place game or something, but good grief. Completely mailed it in. Attitude says alot to me.

I understand that they had just lost the night before in a very emotional game, but it was hard to watch the CHS bench especially when there were players out on the court really trying.

My son and I attended the State A on Saturday and we both noticed how little the CHS coaching staff seemed to care also. (We only watch Class A on TV, so this was our 1st time watching in person.) Even my 12 year old son commented that the coaches look like they'd rather be doing something else. We watched the games on Friday on TV and understand about the emotional loss, but it was kind of weird to watch the CHS bench just sitting there most of the game while Davies coaches actually coached.
- On a side note, very impressed with the Kretchman kid from Davies, he didn't shoot well on Friday but really played well on Saturday. My son and I think we need to attend a few more Class A games in person next year!
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby nick1016 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:28 pm

I agree on the CHS comments. I really expected much more from Mattern. He is a ferocious competitor, but was very disappointed with the lack of enthusiasm to coach on Sat. I was astounded by the comments he made to the paper on Fri. night when he said he couldn't comment on the game because anything he said would be wrong. I understand that we can't expect our high school coaches to be perfect and not show some emotion, but I think we should expect a little more professionalism. The way he carried himself can make some believe that it was more about him than his players.
nick1016
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:54 pm

nick1016 wrote:I agree on the CHS comments. I really expected much more from Mattern. He is a ferocious competitor, but was very disappointed with the lack of enthusiasm to coach on Sat. I was astounded by the comments he made to the paper on Fri. night when he said he couldn't comment on the game because anything he said would be wrong. I understand that we can't expect our high school coaches to be perfect and not show some emotion, but I think we should expect a little more professionalism. The way he carried himself can make some believe that it was more about him than his players.

I believe his reasoning for not wanting to respond on Friday night was that he didn't want to say the wrong thing...he probably hadn't seen a picture or replay of the foul yet and didn't want to be wrong on what he said. Honestly, IMO, it was a wise choice on his part.

I can't say anything about the Saturday situation because I didn't see it (wasn't there).
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby balla45 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:05 pm

In not responding to the media after the game, I think it was probably the most professional thing that he could have done. I imagine that having your season end on a questionable call would cause a huge amount of emotions to rise, and think it was smart to not comment.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby nick1016 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:10 pm

balla45 wrote:In not responding to the media after the game, I think it was probably the most professional thing that he could have done. I imagine that having your season end on a questionable call would cause a huge amount of emotions to rise, and think it was smart to not comment.

balla, I can certainly see your point of view. I'm simply suggesting that he could have commented on the game, said nice comments about how hard they worked etc. But, to say - no comment, anything I say would be wrong. C'mon, he could've done better than that. If a coach can't separate emotion from being available to make a few comments to a newspaper reporter, I'm not sure this may be the best profession for him to be in. I know I'm being critical, but I think we can expect a little more from a head coach that's been around for awhile.
nick1016
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:16 pm

nick1016 wrote:
balla45 wrote:In not responding to the media after the game, I think it was probably the most professional thing that he could have done. I imagine that having your season end on a questionable call would cause a huge amount of emotions to rise, and think it was smart to not comment.

balla, I can certainly see your point of view. I'm simply suggesting that he could have commented on the game, said nice comments about how hard they worked etc. But, to say - no comment, anything I say would be wrong. C'mon, he could've done better than that. If a coach can't separate emotion from being available to make a few comments to a newspaper reporter, I'm not sure this may be the best profession for him to be in. I know I'm being critical, but I think we can expect a little more from a head coach that's been around for awhile.

True nick1016 but what if something just 'slipped' out. Then he has to regret that and is on the 'hot seat' for a different reason. All-in-all, it was a lose-lose situation then...
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby MARKWALD23 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:13 pm

Does anyone know why they didn't name tournament mvp's?
MARKWALD23
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby scoobyx2 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:55 pm

MARKWALD23 wrote:Does anyone know why they didn't name tournament mvp's?

I thought they announced Hanna Larson from Century as the girls MVP, but I didn't hear them announce the boys' MVP.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby balla45 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:04 pm

Bismarck doesn't do a tournament MVP.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby T$$ » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:24 pm

Here are my thoughts on this topic. 1. Darin Mattern could care less about taking 3rd or 4th. Anything less than a title is disappointing. 2. Don't complain about wild fans, they are what make the game fun. Sportsman ship should be promoted but honestly you can't have it both ways. 3. In my opinion the best team won the title.
T$$
NDPreps Starter

Postby nick1016 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:59 am

Run and Gun (higher scoring) teams vs. Ball Control / (mid to lower scoring)

I think it's safe to say the Red River, St. Mary's, Shanley and Davies all fit the Run and Gun type
And, BHS, CHS, WF and Mandan fit the Ball Control type

Run and Gun went 8-4 for the tourny
Ball Control went 3-7 for the tourny

I'm not sure if this means anything, but it might say something about basketball style in ND and what works or doesn't.
nick1016
NDPreps Reserve

Postby The Schwab » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:33 am

T$$ wrote:Here are my thoughts on this topic. 1. Darin Mattern could care less about taking 3rd or 4th. Anything less than a title is disappointing. 2. Don't complain about wild fans, they are what make the game fun. Sportsman ship should be promoted but honestly you can't have it both ways. 3. In my opinion the best team won the title.

The only thing I agree with is that the best team won the title, if you are coaching you SHOULD CARE ABOUT EVERY SINGLE GAME. And wild fans don't make the game fun, at all, I'm sorry but chanting "you're not that good" at the first player in the history of class A (been around for about 100 years) to score over 2000 points is probably the most ridiculous thing I've heard. What ever happened to the days when you supported your own team, not have to degrade the opponent? Whatever happened to crowds getting technicals for taunting, there should have been 1 for sure in the title game. If you want to harass the players, go to college. In high school we teach kids to be respectful and think before they act, but that should go out the window when it comes to sports? Give me a break, someone from the administration should have stepped in, both sides probably needed to be talked too. But I guess when you have adults who should know better that are yelling at a 16-18 year old kid and cheering against them (happened more than once around where I was sitting) we shouldn't expect the kids to be respectful. I think we need to examine the values and morals of what we are trying to model for our kids. Just my two cents.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby gvmearees » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:18 am

Jordan It was not a questionable call Quist got wrapped up in Shaffers arm before the shot (watch the replay). Unfortunate yes, but it was the correct call. Some say NO CALL, sorry, Shaffer could not complete the shot due to his hands being wrapped up. Mattern needs to grow up. I believe the man is a very good coach but acting like a 10 year old spoiled brat 24 after the game shows no class and send a horrible message to not only his team but also the kids in the stands. Say what you want about being a fierce competitor(all coaches are) but acting the way he did says a lot about his character
gvmearees
NDPreps Reserve

Postby balla45 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:59 am

I will not say anything negative about coach Mattern or any other high school coach for that matter.

You said it yourself. Quist was wrapped up in Schafer's arms "before" the shot. If the foul was "before" the shot, which I also feel it was, as I have watched the replay numerous times, it was Century's sixth foul of the half, so Bismarck would have the ball, down 2, out of bounds, with .3 seconds left on the clock. No one has questioned whether or not it was a foul, it was all about when the foul took place.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby westdakotahockey » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:15 am

GVM, when you look at the replay, it was a questionable call. And as you state in your post, the players were tied up before the shot. Thus, the foul occurred before the shot and it shouldn’t have been a shooting foul. CHS had fouls to give. Also know this, Mattern told the officials during the timeout that they were going to foul………a very good coaching move. I don’t know Mattern and I’m not a CHS fan. But to use this forum to blast a coach for not commenting after the game or for his lack of coaching during the next game is crazy. BHS won the game and got beat by a superior team in the finals. End of story. As a basketball fan, all this negativity takes away from what was a great state tournament. As for the BHS student section, don’t blame the kids. Boys will be boys and someone from the school needs to be there to slow them down from time to time. St Mary’s had 3 staff members watching their student body; I noticed the Shanley AD was watching over their group. Fan involvement is a great part of this game but it needs to be controlled.
westdakotahockey
NDPreps Rookie

Postby gvmearees » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:08 pm

We are going to have to agree to disagree on this one. I mis-spoke. I viewed Shaffer catching and shooting as one motion (I also believe this was great coaching on Millers part) given the amount of time remaining and foul situation. As to Mattern telling the officials that they would foul, I agree great coaching. The problem, the official has to see the foul occur, they can't and should not anticipate that call(im not an official but i assume I am correct, what if they anticipate, make the call and it doesnt happen??). I thought Century was the better team and was hoping they would win. Both teams played very hard and should be extremely proud of themselves. As a fan of kids and sports I just hate to see bad behavior by coaches(my opinion) take away from the beauty of sports. Don't have a problem with not speaking to the press(smart move) immediately after the game, but 24 hrs later Cmon man. I also don't expect anyone to badmouth coaches on a message board or anywhere else, but I do believe they should be held to a higher standard. Just my opinion
gvmearees
NDPreps Reserve

PreviousNext

Return to Boys