Midseason Award Projections

Class AA Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Midseason Award Projections

Postby balla45 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:15 am

I will preface this by stating that there is still a lot of time left in the season, and that these are just my current thoughts. Agree or disagree, I'd love to hear what others have to say.

All WDA Team (School order, then in order of most deserving to least deserving by team)

BHS - Taylor Schafer, Tyler Unruh
CHS - Tyler Rudolph, Robert Hutchins
DHS - Jordan Krieg
JHS - David Hanson
MHS - Erron Collins
MHS - Brandon Van Dusen, Kyle Gerding, Austin Frank
SMCHS - Ben Weisbeck, Darius Sparks, Scott Nagel
TMCHS - Tristan Keplin
WHS - Jayden Ferguson

All EDC Team (School order, then in order of most deserving to least deserving by team)
DLHS - Nathan Mertens
FDHS - Tanner Kretchman, David Olson, Andrew Kozlowski
FSHS - AJ Jacobson, Patrick Strom, Dylan Alderman
FSHS - Paxton Lloyd, Colton Lloyd
GFRRHS - Mac Kroeplin, Chad Bartosh, John Hoplin
VCHS - Chase Carpenter
WHS - Jack Christensen
WFHS - Travis Schock

All State First Team (Alphabetical Order)

FSHS - AJ Jacobson - Also EDC and Overall Senior Athlete and Mr. Basketball
FDHS - Tanner Kretchman
GFRRHS - Mac Kroeplin
DLHS - Nathan Mertens
SMCHS - Ben Weisbeck

All State Second Team (Alphabetical Order)

MHS - Erron Collins - WDA Senior Athlete
FDHS - David Olson
CHS - Tyler Rudolph
SMCHS - Darius Sparks
FSHS - Patrick Strom

Outside Looking In (Alphabetical Order)

GFRRHS - Chad Bartosh
VCHS - Chase Carpenter
WHS - Jack Christensen
WHS - Jayden Ferguson
FSHS - Paxton Lloyd

Andrew Kozlowski only doesn't make my list because there are two other Fargo Davies athletes on it, and it is incredibly rare to have three All State athletes from one team.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Re: Midseason Award Projections

Postby scoobyx2 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:03 am

Its great to see that there are so many outstanding individual ballplayers thoughout the state, but it would be more impressive to have someone predict team progress and predictions and actually be correct. What team is going to win the WDA, EDC, and State. Maybe its somewhere on this site, but I have had a tough time finding it after looking through individual stats, dunking abilities, college possibilities, etc.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby balla45 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:23 am

I did this in March but here are new ones. This may change after Bismarck has played Century, Saint Mary's has played Mandan and Minot, and Red River has played Shanley, as none of these teams have played yet. On paper, Red River is the best team in the EDC, but I'm curious to see what they do defensively with Strom and Jacobson.

WDA

My WDA predictions are thrown completely off by any of the bottom 5 teams beating one of the top 4, and Mandan usually has a big home win. Also with these, I'm predicting that the only road win is Saint Mary's at Century, which Century could very well win, which would then make the 2-3 between Minot and Saint Mary's be based on point differential.

1. Saint Mary's Central High School - (Sweeping Century, Splitting with Bismarck and Minot) - 2 losses
2. Century High School - (Sweeping Minot, Splitting with Bismarck, Swept by Saint Mary's) - 3 losses
3. Minot High School - (Sweeping Bismarck, Splitting with Saint Mary's, Swept by Century) - 3 losses
4. Bismarck High School - (Swept by Minot, Splitting with Century and Saint Mary's) - 4 losses

EDC

1. Grand Forks Red River High School
2. Fargo Shanley High School
3. Fargo Davies High School
4. West Fargo High School

If the tournaments were to play out to this seeding, I'd have each 1 and 2 seed winning, with Saint Mary's beating Shanley and Red River beating Century.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby T$$ » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:56 am

I am not as high on St. Mary's as an injury or fouled trouble can derail,them. BHS, Minot, and CHS can survive that scenario. I could see Mandan as the only other West State Tourney team besides the 4 you mentioned.
T$$
NDPreps Starter

Postby balla45 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:20 am

I do tend to agree with you on that. BHS, CHS, and MHS have way more depth, and we saw the way Saint Mary's struggled when Weisbeck and Nagel both picked up 3 first half fouls at Bismarck.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby scoobyx2 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:08 pm

Mandan will be playing at the State tournament. I just don't know which favored team is going to sit this year out yet.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby balla45 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:13 am

scoobyx2 wrote:Mandan will be playing at the State tournament. I just don't know which favored team is going to sit this year out yet.

I'd love to see this happen, but Mandan will need to develop consistent second, third, and fourth scoring options, as I imagine Collins will see a faceguard in any game in the WDA tournament against the top 4 teams. Though he is the best senior in the WDA, even Hanstad struggled with being faceguarded, so Mandan will need others to step up.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby scoobyx2 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:53 pm

balla45 wrote:
scoobyx2 wrote:Mandan will be playing at the State tournament. I just don't know which favored team is going to sit this year out yet.

I'd love to see this happen, but Mandan will need to develop consistent second, third, and fourth scoring options, as I imagine Collins will see a faceguard in any game in the WDA tournament against the top 4 teams. Though he is the best senior in the WDA, even Hanstad struggled with being faceguarded, so Mandan will need others to step up.

Collins is a different player than Hanstad, and the expectations of him is different. If Collins can control the pace of the game, Mandan could have a few more opportunities rather than playing the pace set by their opponent. The BHS-CHS game on Thursday will show whether or not 2 big programs have any consistency.

FYI...I am not convinced that Best Senior overall has been determined.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby balla45 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:09 pm

I agree that Collins is a different player than Hanstad, however, they are in very similar situations, where almost everything that happens on their team goes through them. It is hard to control the pace of the game if you are unable to get the ball, and I imagine teams will make it difficult for him to get the ball when tournament games come.

AJ Jacobson is the best senior overall. Who else would be? No disrespect meant to Carpenter, Collins, Kroeplin, Lloyd, Mertens, Olson, etc., but I just don't see how anyone else is better. He dominates every game he plays in, and has for multiple years. 25 points, 13 rebounds, 6 assists, 3 blocks, and 3 steals, as an average game is almost unheard of in North Dakota.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby UpperDecker » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:06 pm

Fantastic performance by AJ Jacobson last night putting up his high school personal record of 44 points. I believe he only missed 3 or 4 shots all night. He was scoring at will but still also set up his teammates nicely. Just a phenomenal player we have in our state.
UpperDecker
NDPreps Reserve

Postby balla45 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:15 am

As of right now, I'm sliding Kretchman down to 2nd team and moving Collins up to 1st team on my projections. Bartosh currently the first guy out on 2nd team.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby balla45 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:27 am

Newest projections.

First Team All State (Alphabetical order)
Erron Collins - Mandan
AJ Jacobson - Fargo Shanley
Mac Kroeplin - Grand Forks Red River
Nathan Mertens - Devil's Lake
Ben Weisbeck - Saint Mary's Central

Second Team All State (Alphabetical Order)
Tanner Kretchman - Fargo Davies
Jordan Krieg - Dickinson
Paxton Lloyd - Fargo South (assuming he recovers from his injury)
Tyler Rudolph - Bismarck Century
Patrick Strom - Fargo Shanley

5 Outside Looking In (Alphabetical Order)
Chad Bartosh - Grand Forks Red River
Andrew Kozlowski - Fargo Davies
Colton Lloyd - Fargo South
David Olson - Fargo Davies
Darius Sparks - Saint Mary's Central

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby scoobyx2 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:59 pm

Mandan has a big game tonight against Bismarck. I have said from early on this season that they will make it to State, and they have a top senior to lead them there.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby balla45 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:24 pm

Collins with 27 tonight against a faceguard and some double teams as well as the win for Mandan.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby scoobyx2 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:28 am

balla45 wrote:Collins with 27 tonight against a faceguard and some double teams as well as the win for Mandan.

Collins not only has the skillset, but is showing what outstanding leadership can do. Good players will put in the numbers game in and game out, but outstanding players will lead teams that are not expected to win do so. Those players are that good at knowing their roles. I don't really know if he should get it or not, but Senior Athlete of the Year is still up for debate.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Return to Boys