Dexter Werner - Mr. Basketball?

Class AA Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Dexter Werner - Mr. Basketball?

Postby Century » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:25 pm

I want everyone to know that I strongly dislike Bismarck High Basketball. Check out my screen name. I will honestly admit that I have never once cheered for any BHS player or the team. What Patriot does though, right?

But, I want to make it perfectly clear that it is a tragedy that Dexter Werner did not win Mr. Basketball. It is an embarrassment for the media of the state when someone with the best career in the history of the BEST BASKETBALL SCHOOL in North Dakota (do you realize how much I hate typing that?) did not win the state's most prestigious individual prep award.

Werner had around 1400 points and his rebound total was very high. I'm sure balla45 can help us out and post those for us. BHS Basketball has an incredible basketball tradition and they've crushed Century so many times over the years. And the rivalry has been a massive part of my life throughout the years. Sitting on the West side of the CC for all the games is just tradition.

I never cheered for Werner when he was in those BHS colors and as their best player I always hoped he could be held down, but it simply never happened.

It's a shame that Joe Hanstad and Werner didn't receive this award. As balla45 and I discussed in person at the State Tourney, each had a Top 10 career in the history of Class A Basketball for sure.

And while many people think Hanstad is better (never saw him play live as my college days overlapped his HS career exactly), Dexter has a better case for being robbed of the award. He played, and dominated, 25 games this year. Sure, Joe dominated every game be played but most of his season was taken away from him. I can at least see why some media people didn't vote for him (although I disagreed with it). I find it impossible to see the logic, even from someone insanely loyal to Century, that Dexter did not win Mr. Basketball.

I'm not trying to take a thing away from Melvin Langstaff, and I actually really respect him from his post award interview in which he thought it was a conclusion that Werner would win the award. I think he really was as shocked as he sounded.

I truly believe if you polled the other 7 finalists, they would have all voted for Werner hands down because they do know that he's definitely the best player. It's just unfortunate that all the media who haven't seen the B guys just voted for Melvin due to his high stats. He's absolutely a slam dunk worthy finalist but Dexter Werner's credentials are unmatched. Dominating the WDA (8 of the past 10 A titles) is something that just doesn't happen for four years. Yet he did it.

I'm upset for Mr. Werner, even though I never once cheered for him and always wanted BHS to lose, because I do want things to be how they should be.

I very much look forward to being able to pull for Big Dexter at NDSU and I do think he will be able to play a solid role for them after his development during his redshirt year.

I've been desperate for the Bison to get more ND players for years. I've missed no more than 3 home games a year for them since 06-07 and have always been starved of players I've seen for years other than Lucas Moormann.

Anyways, congrats to Dexter on a fantastic high school career and even though I admit to disliking everything BHS Basketball (because they're so consistently good and our rivals) I don't think many people are going to remember the class of 2011-2012 down the road for any player but Dexter Werner.

After four years of rooting against his Demons, it is going to be a blast to finally be on his side and I really hope he and future North Dakota players continue to play Division 1 basketball for the Bison. Our state does produce some great players. Let's applaud one for staying home.

I'm Patriot through and through but even I can shed that and tell you that Dexter Werner was my 2011-2012 Mr. Basketball and it wasn't close.
Century
NDPreps Rookie

Re: Dexter Werner - Mr. Basketball?

Postby Indy5 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:30 pm

Excellent post. I recommend posting this under the Mr. Basketball topic in the class B forum. 10 pages of discussion there.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Re: Dexter Werner - Mr. Basketball?

Postby bigdog19 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:46 am

class b not cool
bigdog19
NDPreps Reserve

Return to Boys