Top ten regardless of class

Class AA Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Top ten regardless of class

Postby domination » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:50 pm

I'm making a list of the top 10 players in the state regardless of class. Need your help if I missed anyone.
No particular order

Andrew Kozlowski – Davies
A.J. Jacobson – Shanley
Nate Mertens – Devils Lake
Jeremy Bontjes - Wahpeton
Dexter Werner – Bismarck
Mack Arvidson – Red River
Devin Coyle – Mandan
Mike Paulson -
Jacob Hagler – North Star
Casey Duppong – Beulah
domination
NDPreps Reserve

Re: Top ten regardless of class

Postby balla45 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:04 pm

Actually took some time to think about this. Here is my top 10 for you, in order.

1. A.J. Jacobson - Fargo Shanley.
2. Jake Hagler - North Star.
3. Dexter Werner - Bismarck.
4. Daniel Yale - Berthold.
5. Melvin Langstaff - Warwick.
6. Mac Kroeplin - Grand Forks Red River.
7. Ben Weisbeck - Saint Mary's Central.
8. Mack Arvidson - Grand Forks Red River.
9. Devin Coyle - Mandan.
10. Tom Fraase - Bismarck Century.
11. Mike Paulson - Hatton-Northwood.
12. Andrew Kozlowski - Fargo Davies.
13. Justin McCloud - Bottineau.
14. Patrick Strom - Fargo Shanley.
15. Nate Mertens - Devil's Lake.

***I have not seen Houston Lavachek play in person and he could easily be on this list.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby babyjames236 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:17 pm

are we forgetting Fischer? kids like 5'6" and balls hard
Left hand, right hand, it doesn’t matter. I’m amphibious.
babyjames236
NDPreps Starter

Postby balla45 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:41 pm

Very good free throw shooter. Shooting percentages are gross though. I do not think he makes my top 25.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby babyjames236 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:37 pm

making the "easiest shot in the game" is very important and you need ppl like that on your team, his shooting % is rough due to his size. Not giving him any excuses.
babyjames236
NDPreps Starter

Postby balla45 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:52 am

Free throw shooters are valuable, I am not disagreeing with you. I did not forget him on my list though. I think there are at least three more point guards in the WDA that did not make my list that are better players.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby gvmearees » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:07 pm

It would be interesting to see Lavachek play hard to see how good he could be. Great shooter, if he worked as hard on other aspects of his game he could be outstanding
gvmearees
NDPreps Reserve

Postby babyjames236 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:49 pm

outside of your list who is better than fischer at what he does?
babyjames236
NDPreps Starter

Postby balla45 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:25 pm

Here are some WDA guards that did not make my list that I think are better than Fischer.

Andre Maund, Erron Collins, Taylor Schafer, Jaxon Fitterer when healthy, Darius Sparks, and Jesse Kessel. There are other ones who are close, but I am confident with all of the ones that I just named.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby Indy5 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:42 pm

gvmearees wrote:It would be interesting to see Lavachek play hard to see how good he could be. Great shooter, if he worked as hard on other aspects of his game he could be outstanding

I agree he seems kinda lazy. He also really needs to quicken his release. The only reason he ever gets a shot off is because he's 6'5 and long.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby babyjames236 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:24 pm

ill give you maund, collins, and schafer but the other 3 are below his level. fitterer is just a standing shooter not a pg, sparks could possibly be better but ill give him another year to prove it. Kessel has been quite all year.
babyjames236
NDPreps Starter

Postby balla45 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:30 pm

Kessel had a training violation. He averaged 17 points per game this year. Fitterer is not a point guard, but when healthy, I think he brings more to a team than Fischer. Just a personal opinion, but I will take a guy that shoots 58% from the field and 55% from three over a lot of other players. I think Sparks is better defensively, and is a more effecient scorer, but not as good of a free throw shooter.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby T$$ » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:39 am

I would rank Coyle and Fraase in the top 5 and definately ahead of Weisbeck although Ben has greater potential in the future.
T$$
NDPreps Starter

Postby babyjames236 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:44 am

Kessel also missed 8 games which would help his points per game. Fitterer brings better shooting to the team, he has those percentages since he has played very very little due to his injury and sickness plus he doesnt shoot as much as Scherado or werner. Sparks is a better athlete than fischer but fischer is a more efficent scoring since he has 4 less inches than sparks and still gets the job done driving in the paint
babyjames236
NDPreps Starter

Postby balla45 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:09 am

I do not see how missing games helped Kessel's average. He missed games against Custer County, Turtle Mountain, Dawson County, Minot, Bismarck Century, Jamestown, Williston, and Bismarck. I do not think he would have averaged much less than 17 points against those teams.

Fitterer got injured the second game of the season, and did not play for a long stretch after that. In his first two games, he shot 13-20 (65%) from the field, 6-12 (50%) from three, and 5-6 (83.3%) from the free throw line, for 18 points per game. When he was healthy, he was better than Fischer, in my opinion.

I do not know how Sparks can be considered a less efficient scorer than Fischer when he shoots 6% higher from the field and 7% higher from three, while actually making the three at a higher rate than everyone in the WDA not named Devin Coyle. I also think Sparks is a superior athlete and better defender.

I do not think Fischer is a bad player by any means, but it is difficult for me to take a player who shoots 35% from the field and 33% from three over a player who scores more efficiently.

That is why I have been so impressed with Andre this season, 14.8 points per game on 47.7% shooting and 39.4% shooting from three with a two to one assist to turnover ratio.

On a side note, while not a top ten player in North Dakota, I think Taylor Schafer may be the best pure shooter in the state at this point.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby babyjames236 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:36 pm

in anyone or two or three of those games he missed he could have scored very little thus lowering kessels shooting average.

I said fitterer is a good shooter, no doubt but im saying fischer has to do more for his team.

Fischer is considered a way bigger threat than Sparks meaning that the best defender on the team prolly wont guard sparks to much, which gives him an easier shot at the basket. Im sure sparks is a superior athlete since fischer isnt extremely athletic to begin with he just knows the game very well. Fischer's has never been considered dominate defender.

Fischer must make baskets to keep Jamestown in the game, the team builds off his and willers success. not really anyone else on the team takes charge on the team.
babyjames236
NDPreps Starter

Postby balla45 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:39 pm

In any one, two, or three of those games he could have scored 25 as well, which may have brought his average up.

Fischer does have to do more for his team, because his teammates are not as good as Fitterer's, but that does not make Fischer better.

I do not think Fischer is a bigger threat than Sparks. I think Sparks won the battle tonight. 9-13 from the field, 2-5 from three, with 21 points. Fischer was solid with his 19, but again, he shoots very poor percentages. I do agree that Fischer and Willer are the keys to Jamestown's success. I am not taking anything away from Fischer, as I think doing what he does at his size would be very difficult.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby babyjames236 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:43 am

could go anyway but adding more games to your scoring usually will decline the average.

If you do more for your team rather than just sit back and hit threes you are a bigger threat which to teams makes you a target for defense. Fitterer is good and so is Fischer but trying to compare two different kinds of PG is just gonna be a long worthless battle.

When Jamestown prepares a game plan they target Weisbeck, when Saint Marys prepares they target Fischer. Which meaning that Fischer is the biggest threat to St Marys than Sparks is to Jamestown. Sparks did have a good game along with the whole St. Marys team (Weisbeck dunk was......unexpected, but very solid two hand dunk.) Im not sure how this TMCHS vs JHS game will go since i heard Belcourt brought Mandan down to the wire.
babyjames236
NDPreps Starter

Postby balla45 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:53 am

Agree that it could go either way. He was not impressive at all today.

Agreed.

I agree to an extent. I still can't agree that Fischer is a better player than Sparks, but it is essentially pointless to debate as we will not agree. I was not surprised by Weisbeck's jam. He can fly. Link provided here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoby5c-BljY. I think Jamestown beats Belcourt, as Willer will neutralize a lot of Belcourt's post game.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby bigdog19 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:15 am

Cole azure red river junior
bigdog19
NDPreps Reserve

Postby babyjames236 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:43 am

Good players perform in tourneys and Kessel struggled as Fischer was average as Schelchner came to play.

Belcourt turned out to take Jamestown to the wire as he did with Mandan. Minot on the other hand struggled until the end as Frank was on fire from three point land.
babyjames236
NDPreps Starter

Postby bballer21 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:32 am

I think Jeremy Bontjes should be in the top 10 players in the state.
bballer21
NDPreps Reserve

Postby balla45 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:38 am

I do not. I think he plays in a region that allows his style of play to be successful. I think he is a very good shooter. Not sure if I would pick him for all state or not yet, as that will depend on his performance against the WDA teams at state. Hard to be impressed with stats this year when 13 players average 17+ in the EDC. Great free throw shooter though.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby bballer21 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:43 pm

I think he would have had a successful year if he would have been playing in the west also. Hes a clutch player. He could help out any team.
bballer21
NDPreps Reserve

Postby balla45 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:40 pm

I think he averages 13-15 points per game in the WDA. I agree. Clutch player and a very good shooter.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Next

Return to Boys