EDC BBALL RACE

Class AA Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby Kujava » Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:26 pm

The EDC race for positioning is getting a bit more interesting after Red River handled West Fargo at home. I still think any of the top 7 teams can beat each other, but seeding does make a difference with different match-ups and how certain teams respond to other teams. Every game counts which is sometimes hard for players to understand--must prepare to win everytime out!
Kujava

Postby 1345 » Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:19 am

Valley City is having a rough year but i believe that they will turn it around and make a run late in the season and make a run for the state tourney.

That is if they can handle DL who is dominating the competition.

Postby bruins44 » Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:32 pm

1345 wrote:Valley City is having a rough year but i believe that they will turn it around and make a run late in the season and make a run for the state tourney.

That is if they can handle DL who is dominating the competition.

Are you kidding??  Valley City wont win a game this year!!, 

1345 have you watched any of Valley Cities games this year?

The EDC tournament will be a good one, but Valley City wont be a part of it, too bad the tournament is in Grand Forks! GF does not support basketball, the tournament will be played in front of empty seats, I remember two years ago EDC was played at the Alerus Center, West Fargo vs GF Red River in boys championship and Fargo South and GF Central in girls championship.... there were more people from Fargo than Grand Forks at the game
bruins44
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndfan » Tue Jan 31, 2006 7:28 pm

Yeah Valley City is the new Grafton of class A basketball. Think they have only had one close game and that was with Red River and red river is nothing special. Only way Valley City makes a run is if Boschee and the Terry boys make a comeback, I have a better chance of winning the lottery then that happening.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby nodak » Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:04 pm

ndfan wrote:Yeah Valley City is the new Grafton of class A basketball. Think they have only had one close game and that was with Red River and red river is nothing special. Only way Valley City makes a run is if Boschee and the Terry boys make a comeback, I have a better chance of winning the lottery then that happening.

It's sad to hear my alma-mater talked about so negatively, but the fact remains that they have won once in two years and have not been competitive in a ton of games.  This team does have some talent, but they are sorely lacking in ball-handling and decision making skills.  It's tough enough as it is to compete against schools with much larger enrollments, but when your team does not have a lot of confidence and motivation, it becomes that much tougher to be competitive. 

That being said, I can't blame the fall of the Hi-Liner basketball program on enrollment (that's the easy way out).  Programs can be rebuilt and grown from the bottom up, but in VC it's going to take a lot of work.  The hiliners have some decent front-court players, but most of the time they are not put in a position to score.  In the GFRR game, the two post players scored a combined 31 points and grabbed 19 rebounds.  If VC would have played better man defense, they would have won.  The point is, they have had their chances in a few games, but the players and the coaching staff have been unable to finish.  Also, it seems that the minute something goes wrong, the seniors are on the bench and the jv is playing (and not doing any better).  It is really sad when one of your captains has only been on the floor in the last 3 minutes of a game once (GFRR). 

VC had a nice bball program going in the late 1980's through the turn of the century.  It's unfortunate that the program has fallen so fast.  With the facilities and proper support, the program can be fixed, but unfortunately I don't see it happening any time soon.

To get back on the subject of the EDC race, nobody will catch DL this year in the east.   However, I don't think they can win the big one, as they have been inconsistent all year in some games (read, Shanley, Whapeton).  It looks to me somebody out west will probably win the tournament, although any team that makes it to state is going to have a chance.  Parody is alive and well in Class A!!!
nodak
NDPreps Reserve

Postby bruins44 » Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:08 am

I am hearing rumors that Valley City wants out of the EDC and would like to do what Grafton did a few years ago and play a Class B schedule and be seaded last in the EDC tournament...  Next year they will play the Fargo schools only once, hoping to fill the rest of their schedule with B teams.
bruins44
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby DLBBALL » Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:14 am

Who can beat DL? Seriously the west is weaker then the East i would be really disapointed if the west takes it this year. I would feel for Mertens he has had a great year so far. But who would have thought that alex lundon who have done so well this year he just tied the DL record for 3's in one game with 7 in the VC game. Even though it is VC that is still impressive. I just think that DL has the Depth with 10 seniors and the skills to handle any team in the state. Right now i think that Wahpeton could be winning the West right now. They are no joke they are a good ball club.
DLBBALL

Postby nodak » Wed Feb 01, 2006 1:03 pm

DLBBALL wrote:Who can beat DL? Seriously the west is weaker then the East i would be really disapointed if the west takes it this year. I would feel for Mertens he has had a great year so far. But who would have thought that alex lundon who have done so well this year he just tied the DL record for 3's in one game with 7 in the VC game. Even though it is VC that is still impressive. I just think that DL has the Depth with 10 seniors and the skills to handle any team in the state. Right now i think that Wahpeton could be winning the West right now. They are no joke they are a good ball club.

I agree with you that DL should take state, and I hope they do.  However, from what I've seen of them they tend to mess around with their opponents and take some of them lightly.  I also didn't mean to talk badly about Whapeton.  They could be a tough team to beat come tourney time, and with only one senior in the lineup they could be devastating next year.  I hope that DL takes the title but for them to do it they are going to have to show up every game, and they will have to play away from home (which even though they are undefeated they've had some close road games).
nodak
NDPreps Reserve

Postby ndfan » Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:27 pm

When Regionals and State come around DL will not mess around, they will show people why they are the best team in the state this year. They will have some good games in that time but they will get it done.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby NDSportsFan » Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:30 pm

An undefeated Devils Lake and Minot matchup would make a great championship game, but some other schools might have something to say about that.  They are both strong traditional basketball schools and have a very good fan following. 

Where's the tournament at this year?
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby UND9296 » Fri Feb 03, 2006 5:29 am

NDSportsFan wrote: An undefeated Devils Lake and Minot matchup would make a great championship game, but some other schools might have something to say about that.  They are both strong traditional basketball schools and have a very good fan following. 

Where's the tournament at this year?

Grand Forks.
UND9296
NDPreps Starter

Postby 1337 » Fri Feb 03, 2006 5:38 am

The Ralph or at the Al?
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby UND9296 » Fri Feb 03, 2006 5:42 am

1337 wrote:The Ralph or at the Al?

The Al. Both boys and girls.
UND9296
NDPreps Starter

Postby 1337 » Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:45 am

It's Devils Lake to lose.

One can never be to sure what's going to happen when it's tournament time!
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby nodak » Fri Feb 03, 2006 5:10 pm

bruins44 wrote:I am hearing rumors that Valley City wants out of the EDC and would like to do what Grafton did a few years ago and play a Class B schedule and be seaded last in the EDC tournament...  Next year they will play the Fargo schools only once, hoping to fill the rest of their schedule with B teams.

There is absolutely no way this would ever happen.  That is just one guy's rumor that he started.  VC is not on the bubble to move down like Grafton was, so it will never happen.  They need a few more years of losing first.
nodak
NDPreps Reserve

Postby bruins44 » Fri Feb 03, 2006 7:02 pm

When the EDC schedule comes out for 06-07,  check and see how many games Valley City plays vs EDC teams, they will not play home and home games vs the big schools...and see if they add some B schools.  This comes from a reliable source.... if you dont believe me ask the Valley City AD
bruins44
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Ming01 » Sat Feb 04, 2006 9:00 pm

I would have to say Devils Lake is the clear pick to win state.  But I am really impressed with Minot.  Some people werent even picking them to make state this year, still might not but i doubt it.  An East team will probably win it because every team in the West is playing up and down except for Minot.
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby vcfan1 » Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:55 pm

mess around or not. the firebirds are the only undefeated team in the east region.  they still find a way to make their talent and teamwork overcome all and get the victory everytime that they have stepped onto that court.  its not very often that you can someone to step up like alex lundon did and hit an amazing 7 three pointers in one game.  this guy is legit, he has stepped up when everyone thought that mertens would be the team.  i think this team has got what it takes to bring the state title hoem to devils lake.  lundon has stepped up in place of justin thomas that they had last year would could shoot from deep. this team is legit i am looking for big things come tournament time.
vcfan1

Postby vcfan1 » Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:59 pm

i'd bet a house payment that devils lake doesnt lose come tournament time
vcfan1

Postby bruins44 » Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:00 pm

Fargo South plays at Devils Lake Friday night in a big two pt game, the winner will win the EDC regular season title!
bruins44
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ND_SportsNut » Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:05 pm

Whats the deal with Red River? Wins over West Fargo, Wahpeton, and South in like a week.
ND_SportsNut

Postby ndsubball » Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:12 pm

bruins44 wrote:Fargo South plays at Devils Lake Friday night in a big two pt game, the winner will win the EDC regular season title!

Not anymore because south lost to red river last night and even if DL loses to south and DL south each finish the season with all wins in the EDC DL will still win the EDC regular season title
ndsubball

Postby 22 » Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:51 am

What do you guys think is going wrong with Jamestown this year, they lost a lot of one sided games?

Postby Ming01 » Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:15 am

Jamestown just doesn't have the playmakers this year.  I've watched them play once this year and they turned the ball over quite a bit.  I also noticed they make a lot of dumb fouls.
Last edited by Ming01 on Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndbb » Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:37 pm

Does Jamestown have any players this year?  I looked at the EDC Website and saw some Heck kid scoring 12 a game from there, does anyone know about that?
ndbb
NDPreps All-Conference

Next

Return to Boys