North Dakota

All other topics other than sports related.

North Dakota

Postby project-pat » Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:25 pm

project-pat

Re: North Dakota

Postby baseball18 » Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:48 am

Seems pretty narrow minded to me. He mentions "abandoned houses" and ghosts towns. Like there arent any abandoned houses and buildings in the rough parts or slums of the bigger cities, such as Chicago, NYC, LA, and so on... I hate how ND is so stereotyped and the majority of the ppl who make fun of ND have never been here, ND is actually one of the most beautiful states, with a great economy, good education, and so on... I think ppl tend to forget we help feed the majority of the nation too.
baseball18
NDPreps All-State

Postby Mauer07 » Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:53 pm

i hated that they didnt really talk about how bismarck and fargo are growing and about all of the good things in north dakota for instance Medora and the badlands
You can't measure the heart of a champion
Mauer07
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby thundercat 99 » Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:28 pm

They made their article on 5 or 6 small towns that most people have never heard of. No disrespect to them, but most younger people have no clue where these towns are located. Also, where's the emphasis on the good parts of ND- UND,NDSU, hunting and fishing, Missouri River, values of the people, Lake Sakakawea, nation's leading producer of some agricultural products, Badlands, Peace Gardens...........the list could go on and on. Instead, it makes ND look like a place where people never leave, grow old, and die.
''You play to win the game!''
thundercat 99
NDPreps Starter

Postby project-pat » Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:44 pm

well this article did help the entire population of ND earn ABC world new's "Person of the week." So congrats to everyone of you haha
project-pat

Postby baseball18 » Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:25 pm

project-pat wrote:well this article did help the entire population of ND earn ABC world new's "Person of the week." So congrats to everyone of you haha

:D
baseball18
NDPreps All-State

Postby Roughrider » Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:51 pm

i just watched the video that ABC did and i would like to thank them for backing us. That National Geographic article was horrible. it just pains me to see that kind of stuff going out about our state. whats really sad is that most people in the United States from anywhere other than the states that surround us think everything is true in the article and that is just wrong
GO SIOUX GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Roughrider
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby MrFearing » Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:18 pm

I also disagree with the article

“We’ve even had a baby born to a family in Epping,” he says, “which I’m sure has not happened in 20 years"

Are you kidding??

I know a whole young family from Epping
MrFearing

Postby Roughrider » Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:10 pm

i know, its terrible what people think of this place. my uncle recently came back from New York and not joking, they seriously asked him if we have running water, its like come on people, what do you think its always 20 below zero here and we live in caves or what
GO SIOUX GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Roughrider
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby bisonslayer » Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:14 am

sick of this garbage, time we stand up and form the militia most people think we probably have already!! GO ND!! (UND) and i spose ndsu
North Dakota Preps JV Enforcer
bisonslayer
NDPreps Starter

Postby scruffy » Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:15 pm

I really could care less what image we have or what people think. All the screaming and hollering that we're doing just proves how insecure we really are.......
No whiners allowed! The journey is the reward!
scruffy
NDPreps All-State

Postby rep » Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:35 pm

scruffy wrote:I really could care less what image we have or what people think. All the screaming and hollering that we're doing just proves how insecure we really are.......

amen
rep

Postby sportsking09 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:28 pm

you people making a big deal about this are narrowminded, not the people who wrote the article. just because you guys do not see it happening doesnt mean it is a lie. for example why do u think the cities like bismarck, fargo, and grand forks? because people are moving from the small towns into the bigger cities. trust me i have expierenced this first hand. agriculture is going down , grain elevators are closing. if you guys dont think it is happening drive up in the northwestern part of the state and look at the small abonded towns, i would know my farm is located in one of the towns. So the aritcle is TRUE, no onbelive it though
University of North Dakota Fighting Sioux, and thats the way its gonna stay
GO SIOUX!!!!
sportsking09
NDPreps Starter

Postby baseball » Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:33 pm

sportsking09 wrote:you people making a big deal about this are narrowminded, not the people who wrote the article. just because you guys do not see it happening doesnt mean it is a lie. for example why do u think the cities like bismarck, fargo, and grand forks? because people are moving from the small towns into the bigger cities. trust me i have expierenced this first hand. agriculture is going down , grain elevators are closing. if you guys dont think it is happening drive up in the northwestern part of the state and look at the small abonded towns, i would know my farm is located in one of the towns. So the aritcle is TRUE, no onbelive it though

its not a lie, its an exagerration though. my question is, that if its the NW part of the state closing dont you think it would be the cities like Minot, Dickinson, and Williston that are growing and not the other section of the state with Bismarck, Fargo, and Grand Forks?
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby sportsking09 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:39 pm

um little update the three towns you just mentioned have increased in population
University of North Dakota Fighting Sioux, and thats the way its gonna stay
GO SIOUX!!!!
sportsking09
NDPreps Starter

Postby Jefferson Clark » Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:28 pm

nice update pal, but the last post mentioned six cities so which 3 of the six have grown?
Jefferson Clark

Postby AC-DC » Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:42 am

Most people that move, like kids off to college, go further than Williston or Minot to the bigger schools in Grand Forks and Fargo or into the military. Some of the older folks move to be closer to the kids, quite often out of state.

That being said, the trend is definetly turning. A good few are returning home after years away and young families staying are on the increase. Sure there are ghost towns, if that's what you want to see, but there are also thriving communities just a few miles away. The reality is, there is no need for another town every 10 miles in the 21st century as there was in the early 20th. Focusing on the decline and empty spaces was obviously the better story, but ignored the prosperity that's here as well.
It may not be the end of the world, but you can see it from here!
AC-DC
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby NDSportsFan » Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:50 pm

But it's such a long ride in the buggy to get to the next town.
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby WPower » Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:53 pm

i've been asked if we all really do play the accordion as per popular belief :lol:
WPower
NDPreps Reserve

Postby asiantangy99 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:26 pm

WPower wrote:i've been asked if we all really do play the accordion as per popular belief :lol:

wow that is crazy, and yet weird
asiantangy99
NDPreps Starter

Postby sportsguruguy » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:22 pm

personally the guy that wrote that is a moron!! I have been to alot of cities and states in the USA and north dakota is the best that is why i came back.
I think it is fine for an absent minded writer to write that becuase it keeps the rif raf out of this great state.
Last edited by sportsguruguy on Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
sportsguruguy
NDPreps Starter

Postby Hinsa » Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:33 am

Way to make us look good in ND sportsguruguy. You call someone a moron and then you can't even use the English language correctly. Riprap is stuff you put on a shoreline to prevent erosion. The people you want to keep out of the state are riffraff.

No wonder they say we all play accordians.....
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby sportsguruguy » Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:21 pm

oops!! dont i feel like the moron
sportsguruguy
NDPreps Starter

Postby Hondaman06 » Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:58 pm

um... I hate to break it to you, but that article was out back in January/Febuary. you're all a lil behind
Hondaman06

Postby project-pat » Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:23 pm

Hondaman06 wrote:um... I hate to break it to you, but that article was out back in January/Febuary. you're all a lil behind

um....so......that's why I created this topic on Jan. 18th...is there a time limit that people have to reply to topics now?
project-pat

Return to gaming, movies, tv, local stories