NDHSAA Sanctioning of Girls’ Fastpitch Softball

NDHSAA Sanctioning of Girls’ Fastpitch Softball

Postby dgfsuperfan1 » Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:14 pm

According to the NDHSAA, Girls Fastpitch will be a sanctioned sport if there are 12 teams the spring of 2009. A summary of the meeting minutes are below. Do you think schools should be supporting this sport or not? Any comments?

SUMMARY
NDHSAA Board of Directors
March 16, 2007
1. Upon additions, declared the agenda final.
2. Approved the March 9, 2007 minutes.
3. Approved the following cooperative sponsorship applications:
a. Underwood and Turtle Lake-Mercer in JH Girls BB, 07-08, no fee.
b. Steele-Dawson and Tappen in JH Boys BB, 07-08, no fee.
4. Approved a bid for the 2007-2008 calendar from from School Pride Group of Moorhead - (12 X 17 calendar) -$3,455.81
5. Heard a report from the Class B Redistricting Committee and the District Chair meeting held earlier in the day.
6. Approved the recommendation of the Football Committee to place Four Winds on a waiting list for football placement and allow them to be inserted into the plan early only if there is another team that drops and leaves a vacancy. If this does not occur, they will wait until the next two-year planning.
7. Approved sanctioning of girls’ fast pitch softball and provide a state tournament including team payments to be for the spring of 2009, only if there is a minimum of 12 teams.
8. Approved the calendar for 2007-2008 as corrected and the proposed 2008-2009 year.
9. Discussed and agreed the policy of no soliciting at post-season tournaments stands as is. Violations will be dealt by the Executive Board as it would be a violation of a regulation.
10. Discussed basketball games in which the final score was very lopsided. The Board indicated administrators of member schools rather than officials are capable of and should be monitoring this and preventing the intentional running up of the score.
11. Approved the recommendation to provide three team plaques for region golf.
12. Heard the Executive Secretary Report.
Last edited by dgfsuperfan1 on Thu May 08, 2008 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dgfsuperfan1

Re: NDHSAA Sanctioning of Girls’ Fastpitch Softball

Postby rep » Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:00 pm

1. north
2. south
3. west fargo
4. new fargo school?
5. gf central
6. red river
7. jamestown
8. minot
9. williston
10. dickinson
11. bismarck
12. bismarck century

don't know if places like belcourt, devils lake, valley city, wahpeton or st. mary's are big enough or if there would be enough interest?

hmmm...i would think as long as every one of the schools in fargo, grand forks and bismarck are in, there is a chance it would work. if they have to combine players from different schools for one team, i think they would probably fall short.
rep

Postby dgfsuperfan1 » Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:26 am

These schools have varsity girls fastpitch softball teams;

Shanley-Oak Grove-Park Christian
Fargo N
Fargo S
Enderlin
GF Central
GF Red River
Bismarck High
West Fargo
Bishop Ryan
Minot High

These schools have teams but play a JV schedule;
Devils Lake
Wyndmere

I think that Bismarch Century and/or Mandan will also field teams if Bismarck High is successfull. Also, I have been told there are a supprising number of Class B schools that have shown interest and have contacted the FM schools on how to start teams. The smaller schools would like to add another girls sport and see it as a good alternative to girls hockey and/or soccer. Many small towns field summer teams already so they have the talent pool and can share resources etc.

The club teams have been around for several years, but have not been sanctioned. This is similear to how boys baseball was run until they were sanctions a few years ago.
dgfsuperfan1

Postby 2008tournement » Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:11 am

The biggest problem to getting sanctioned will be the weather. Lets face it, school administrators are going to look at our short springs and really wonder if at team would be worth the cost and effort when the spring season is so limited in lengh. Supporters of this sport should put their time and money into promoting a vibrant and healthy summer league!
2008tournement

Postby roughrider125 » Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:45 am

So what about Baseball, Golf, and Tennis? Should they not have sanctioned them because of the weather?? Why descriminate against softball and say they should be the only sport not sanctioned? Or make them play in the summer when many girls have other commitments?
Doctors and scientists said that breaking the four-minute mile was impossible, that one would die in the attempt. Thus, when I got up from the track after collapsing at the finish line, I figured I was dead.
~Roger Bannister (After becoming the first person to break the four-minute mile, 1952)
roughrider125
NDPreps Starter

Postby 2008tournement » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:21 pm

Roughrider, I think you misunderstood what I was trying to say. I am all for High School Fastpitch Softball, I was just trying to state what I think is the biggest hurdle they face. But I believe the key to attracting more players is having a strong summer league. It gives them the opportunity to play a lot more games and get the experience they need to make a strong High School team.

Maybe they will get a few more schools to field teams to get to the required 12. If so, great, give the girls their chance. But if it does not happen, their clubs should make sure their summer programs offer the girls the chance to play and improve when their is no snow on the ground.
2008tournement

Postby dgfsuperfan1 » Thu May 08, 2008 9:15 pm

Valley City, and Grafton have also fielded teams this year. There are going to be 12 teams at the state tournement being held in Minot. Looks like a very strong case can be made for sanctioning.
dgfsuperfan1

Postby scoobyx2 » Fri May 09, 2008 1:34 pm

Also, doesn't Hillsboro and Wahpeton have teams, but currently play in Minnesota?
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Carl08 » Fri May 09, 2008 6:17 pm

yeah i believe whap coops with breck and hillsboro with???. I had not heard about VAlley city or grafton playing a varsity schedule (very possibly jv like devils lake and enderlin) as far as i know the varsity teams are Bismarck, Fargo South, North, Shanley, WF, Red River, Central, Minot High, Minot Ryan. If those other teams dgfsuperfan mentioned are in fact playing a varsity schedule they have refused to schedule WF, North, and Shanley because they are not on any of their schedules.
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
Emo Philips
Carl08
NDPreps Starter

Postby dgfsuperfan1 » Sat May 10, 2008 11:10 am

scoobyx2 wrote:Also, doesn't Hillsboro and Wahpeton have teams, but currently play in Minnesota?

I believe Hillsboro coops with Norman County East and their are some Wahpeton girls on the Breckinridge MN team.
dgfsuperfan1

Postby dgfsuperfan1 » Sat May 10, 2008 11:15 am

Carl08 wrote:yeah i believe whap coops with breck and hillsboro with???. I had not heard about VAlley city or grafton playing a varsity schedule (very possibly jv like devils lake and enderlin) as far as i know the varsity teams are Bismarck, Fargo South, North, Shanley, WF, Red River, Central, Minot High, Minot Ryan. If those other teams dgfsuperfan mentioned are in fact playing a varsity schedule they have refused to schedule WF, North, and Shanley because they are not on any of their schedules.

Enderlin plays a schedule that has included Fargo South. Grafton has been playing tournements and some of the teams up North. Valley City has been playing some of the smaller schools like Enderlin etc. They have not been coming to Fargo yet.

The sport is gaining interest.
dgfsuperfan1

Postby 2008tournement » Sat May 10, 2008 11:21 am

Walsh County Record

By Mike Alan Steinfeldt
With the anticipation that girls’ fast pitch softball will become a North Dakota High School Activities Association sanctioned sport in the foreseeable future, Grafton has organized a softball team of its own this spring.

Go to http://www.wcrecord.com/ for the remainder of the story that Grafton has a team.
2008tournement

Postby fastpitch » Tue May 13, 2008 2:19 pm

Teams like Devils lake have small mixed aged teams that are almost good enought to compete on a Varsity Level but almost too good to be playing JV teams. At their own tourney they held they had 7th -12th graders playing JV teams with 7th -10th graders. This made them almost too good for JV but according to their coach they couldn't hold on with Central and RR at the Varsity level. But then again I remember a time when other teams like Shanley were on the bottom. Maybe they should buck up and help get us sanctioned?
fastpitch
NDPreps Rookie

Postby stud515 » Tue May 27, 2008 5:02 pm

This year, Devils Lake has a small team like usual. The team is made up entirely of 7-10th grader with the exception of 2 seniors and 3 juniors. Time to time, they've thrown in 5th graders to have enough people to play a game. The varsity pitcher is still a sophomore. They just don't have enough people to have a complete jv and varsity. For the most part, their jv team IS their varsity team with players switched around.

From my understanding, Devils Lake wants to be sanctioned. I know that the coach and players are very excited and looking forward for this to happen.
stud515

Postby dgfsuperfan1 » Wed May 28, 2008 7:39 pm

A nice article about Bismarck/Mandans efforts to organize girlst fastpitch can be found at the below link.
http://www.kfyrtv.com/Spotlight_article.asp?news=18546
dgfsuperfan1

Postby dgfsuperfan1 » Wed May 28, 2008 7:42 pm

Article about Minot Girls Fastpitch and this years state tournament in Minot can be read below.

http://www.minotdailynews.com/page/cont ... l?nav=5016
dgfsuperfan1

Postby dgfsuperfan1 » Wed May 28, 2008 7:49 pm

Newscasts regarding Western North Daktoa Girls Fastpitch teams can be seen at the below link.

http://video.aol.com/video-detail/girls ... 2061890045
dgfsuperfan1

Postby onwisconsin » Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:03 pm

This is so exciting for all girls in North Dakota. I grew up in North Dakota, live in Oregon. All three of my girls play softball. We spend the entire summer on the diamond. It has been so much fun. Good luck to all of you. Play hard, work hard and you will love the game.
onwisconsin

Postby 2008tournement » Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:09 pm

stud515 wrote:This year, Devils Lake has a small team like usual. The team is made up entirely of 7-10th grader with the exception of 2 seniors and 3 juniors. Time to time, they've thrown in 5th graders to have enough people to play a game. The varsity pitcher is still a sophomore. They just don't have enough people to have a complete jv and varsity. For the most part, their jv team IS their varsity team with players switched around.

From my understanding, Devils Lake wants to be sanctioned. I know that the coach and players are very excited and looking forward for this to happen.

The Lake Region team aka Devils Lake got a win at state. See below link. They should move up to a full varsity schedule in 2009, instead of playing some jv and some varsity teams. They looked good enough when I saw them play in Minot.

http://devilslakejournal.com/articles/2 ... orts02.txt
2008tournement

Postby stud515 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:54 am

2008tournement wrote:The Lake Region team aka Devils Lake got a win at state. See below link. They should move up to a full varsity schedule in 2009, instead of playing some jv and some varsity teams. They looked good enough when I saw them play in Minot.

http://devilslakejournal.com/articles/2 ... orts02.txt

Devils Lake will be santioned next year.

Because of this, the numbers should drastically go up from what they already have. This year Lake Region had about 12 players throughout the season, but still, on occassion, they had to call any girl they could think of to fill an empty spot on the roster when not all the girls could make a game. With more girls and having enough girls who stay in it throughout the season, Devils Lake will actually be able to hold a consistant varsity and jv team instead of having the same girls play both varsity and jv.

I'm very excited about all of the support that this sport has been receiving!
stud515

Postby dgfsuperfan1 » Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:21 pm

The quote below was pulled from the unapproved minutes of the most recent NDHSAA meeting. No further mention of additional details in the other 10 pages of minutes.

"It was reported that Softball now has 12 schools that are willing to participate. As per previous Board agreement, NDHSAA Staff will make plans to include Softball as a sponsored activity for 2008-09. . The schools that have agreed to participate are: Bismarck, Devils Lake, Enderlin, Fargo North, Shanley, South, Grafton, GF Central, GF RR, Minot, Minot Ryan, and West Fargo."

GREAT NEWS FOR ALL THOSE WHO LOVE THE SPORT OF FASTPITCH SOFTBALL IN NORTH DAKOTA!!!
THIS IS SOMETHING OUR FARGO BOSTER CLUBS HAVE BEEN WORKING ON FOR OVER 10 YEARS!!
Last edited by dgfsuperfan1 on Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
dgfsuperfan1

Postby stoaxc2004 » Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:08 pm

dgfsuperfan1 wrote:The quote below was pulled from the unapproved minutes of the most recent NDHSAA meeting. No further mention of additional details in the other 10 pages of minutes.

"It was reported that Softball now has 12 schools that are willing to participate. As per previous Board agreement, NDHSAA Staff will make plans to include Softball as a sponsored activity for 2008-09. . The schools that have agreed to participate are: Bismarck, Devils Lake, Enderlin, Fargo North, Shanley, South, Grafton, GF Central, GF RR, Minot, Minot Ryan, and West Fargo."

GREAT NEWS FOR ALL THOSE WHO LOVE THE SPORT OF FASTPITCH SOFTBALL IN NORHT DAKOTA!!!
THIS IS SOMETHING OUR FARGO BOSTER CLUBS HAVE BEEN WORKING ON FOR OVER 10 YEARS!!

Are you 100% sure of this??
stoaxc2004

Postby dgfsuperfan1 » Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:51 am

stoaxc2004 wrote:
dgfsuperfan1 wrote:The quote below was pulled from the unapproved minutes of the most recent NDHSAA meeting. No further mention of additional details in the other 10 pages of minutes.

GREAT NEWS FOR ALL THOSE WHO LOVE THE SPORT OF FASTPITCH SOFTBALL IN NORHT DAKOTA!!!

It is in the June 23rd/24th NDHSAA board minutes at this link. http://www.ndhsaa.org/board_and_committee_minutes
Last edited by dgfsuperfan1 on Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
dgfsuperfan1

Postby stoaxc2004 » Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:15 am

dgfsuperfan1 wrote:
stoaxc2004 wrote:

It is in the June 23rd/24th NDHSAA board minutes at this link. http://www.ndhsaa.com/board/minutes/index.htm

K well it won't load for me; but I will take your word for it!
stoaxc2004

Postby dgfsuperfan1 » Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:52 am

stoaxc2004 wrote:
dgfsuperfan1 wrote:
stoaxc2004 wrote:

It is in the June 23rd/24th NDHSAA board minutes at this link. http://www.ndhsaa.com/board/minutes/index.htm

K well it won't load for me; but I will take your word for it!

It is in the June 23rd/24th NDHSAA board minutes at this link. Try this address. they started a new website 7-1-08 http://www.ndhsaa.org/board_and_committee_minutes
dgfsuperfan1

Next

Return to Girls softball