2019 COACHES POLL

Re: 2019 COACHES POLL

Postby hoops4lyf40 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:33 pm

Jack8 wrote:
hoops4lyf40 wrote:
PMPT wrote:I think White still should be considered to be the #1 runner in class b boys xc simply based on last year and this year. He rises to the occasion at the bigger meets. I get the feeling he is a good ,"bad weather" runner which could work to his advantage if the present weather trends continue.

Now, and in the last few weeks, absolutely. No arguing that. My point was, up until that point he hadn’t been the fastest runner in class B. This poll is intended to be current rankings based off current times, not end of season predictions. I have no problem with the B boys rankings as they stand currently (minus Red Fox... should be lower). Just not for the first few polls of the season. The first few weeks, there were several faster runners.

It starting to sound you like you have something against the new town runners just be happy your runner is in the top ten in class B the Shiloh kid is exactly were he should be ranked. White from New Town is the best in class B enjoy the rest of season and good luck to all team's at region and state.

It’s wrong for you to assume anything, and or put words in my mouth. I’ve said multiple times that I have nothing against NewTown or their runners. They are truely great people on and off the course. I wish them nothing but the best! I do have a problem with the polls though, as I’ve been explaining, if you would go back and read my statements. Seems as though I’m not the only one. Someone else agrees that research is t being done when making these votes. It’s a shame. Give the kids credit when it’s due. Robert White is due credit. Now. Not when he was the 3rd fastest runner in class B. Great kid. Don’t try and speak for me. I do a good job of doing that for myself.
hoops4lyf40
NDPreps Starter

Postby SaltyDog » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:53 pm

FYI Robert White has been in the top 10 in the coaches polls since 2016. An no current class B runner has beaten him ever. I think that maybe he should be #1 until he is beaten.
SaltyDog
NDPreps Rookie

Postby hoops4lyf40 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:06 pm

SaltyDog wrote:FYI Robert White has been in the top 10 in the coaches polls since 2016. An no current class B runner has beaten him ever. I think that maybe he should be #1 until he is beaten.

I respect that opinion. Honestly, that’s a valid point. However, it’s also not the point of the poll. This poll is, or was, supposed to be based off current times for each week. Again, great point, but up until the last few weeks, he didn’t have the fastest times. I’ll rest my case there. It’s obvious that this argument is not going to change the way people vote and I’ll live with that. It’s okay
hoops4lyf40
NDPreps Starter

Postby XCguy » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:21 am

hoops4lyf40 wrote:
SaltyDog wrote:FYI Robert White has been in the top 10 in the coaches polls since 2016. An no current class B runner has beaten him ever. I think that maybe he should be #1 until he is beaten.

This poll is, or was, supposed to be based off current times for each week. Again, great point, but up until the last few weeks, he didn’t have the fastest times. I’ll rest my case there.

100% incorrect. A poll is a vote (opinion), it's not a statistic (fact). If you want the fastest recorded times by each runner, check athletic.net. If you want to know who the voting coaches think are the best boys/girls, check the polls. It's that simple.

In Class B, White and Baesler are perfect examples. I don't get a vote but, if I did, they'd be #1 consistently until beaten late in the season in a meet that matters.
XCguy
NDPreps Reserve

Postby hoops4lyf40 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:38 pm

XCguy wrote:
hoops4lyf40 wrote:

This poll is, or was, supposed to be based off current times for each week. Again, great point, but up until the last few weeks, he didn’t have the fastest times. I’ll rest my case there.

100% incorrect. A poll is a vote (opinion), it's not a statistic (fact). If you want the fastest recorded times by each runner, check athletic.net. If you want to know who the voting coaches think are the best boys/girls, check the polls. It's that simple.

In Class B, White and Baesler are perfect examples. I don't get a vote but, if I did, they'd be #1 consistently until beaten late in the season in a meet that matters.

100% incorrect. “ Your rankings of teams and individuals should be based on that current meets, not on how you feel they should place at the end of the year.” - Instructions given prior to the first poll.
hoops4lyf40
NDPreps Starter

Postby sundog » Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:42 pm

Bingo.

Speaking of polls...LETS GO!!!
sundog
NDPreps Reserve

Postby XCguy » Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:49 pm

Soooo, you simply want to go off times? That’s it? Impossible. I don’t care if Wrigley ran 15:00 at a random meet early in the season. If he doesn’t beat Robert White head-to-head in a meet, I would NEVER vote him higher in a poll. There’s a lot more that goes in to it than that. Since he was never near him in the poll, the real voters felt the same. Since he was 40 seconds behind him in their recent matchup, they were right.
XCguy
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:16 pm

I would post the new poll but what’s the point...

White is undefeated against Class B opponents AND proved that against many in Minot. He was #1 to start year and is there now because of that. Comparing courses across the Midwest is like comparing an apple to an orange...you cannot look just at times as there are several other variables in place. Can’t compare EDC to WDA because the courses are different & the weather and running conditions were different.

A poll is a tabulation of subjective views...no one thinks the same way.

Note: it will get posted when I have more time and a CPU available
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby hoops4lyf40 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:46 pm

XCguy wrote:Soooo, you simply want to go off times? That’s it? Impossible. I don’t care if Wrigley ran 15:00 at a random meet early in the season. If he doesn’t beat Robert White head-to-head in a meet, I would NEVER vote him higher in a poll. There’s a lot more that goes in to it than that. Since he was never near him in the poll, the real voters felt the same. Since he was 40 seconds behind him in their recent matchup, they were right.

And Run:
A poll is a tabulation of subjective views...no one thinks the same way.

Just following the instructions given. :)
hoops4lyf40
NDPreps Starter

Postby sundog » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:10 pm

Disagree almost completely. It's trivial to perform a reasonably accurate analysis between performances that corrects for courses and conditions, allowing you to make comparisons between teams throughout the season, even if those teams never race head-to-head. Just a simple spreadsheet and a database populated with a bunch of performances that can be cross-referenced to normalise times. Similar to speed ratings, but less precision (and work).

That said, the poll is still important to a lot of people because it comes from a place of authority. So post it already. ;)
sundog
NDPreps Reserve

Postby hoops4lyf40 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:35 pm

sundog wrote:Disagree almost completely. It's trivial to perform a reasonably accurate analysis between performances that corrects for courses and conditions, allowing you to make comparisons between teams throughout the season, even if those teams never race head-to-head. Just a simple spreadsheet and a database populated with a bunch of performances that can be cross-referenced to normalise times. Similar to speed ratings, but less precision (and work).

That said, the poll is still important to a lot of people because it comes from a place of authority. So post it already. ;)

This guy! Yes! Lol. Never understood the head to head argument. Why would you show your closest competition, all your cards. Some races are surely used to show what you’re made of, but I would say most are simply used as a workout and to practice race strategy. XC isn’t like most sports; you don’t need to go out and win every time.

On another note, saying a time isn’t impressive (or doesn’t count) because it was ran on this course vs that course, well, is kinda disrespectful. Don’t discredit someone’s performance based on the course, just use judgement when making a comparison.
hoops4lyf40
NDPreps Starter

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:13 pm

POLL #8
Wednesday, October 16th

CLASS A
GIRLS
Team
1. Minot
2. West Fargo
3. Fargo Davies
4. GF Central
5. Century

Individual
1. Meghan Ford (Jamestown)
2. Hayley Ogle (Watford City)
3. Hope Pringle (West Fargo)
4. Eleni Lovgren (Williston)
5. Mikayla Weiss (GF Central)
6. Jadyn Guidinger (Legacy)
7. Jaelyn Ogle (Watford City)
8. Anna Lien (Fargo North)
9. Kelby Rinas (Mandan)
10. Emily Goldade (Century)

BOYS
Team
1. Williston
2. Century
3. Fargo North
4. Bismarck
5. GF Red River

Individual
1. Brady Yoder (Dickinson)
2. Sean Korsmo (Bismarck)
3. Gavin Haut (Jamestown)
4. Caleb Yokom (Fargo North)
5. Micade Shumway (Williston)
6. Jacob Knodle (WF Sheyenne)
7. Fynn Krenz (Williston)
8. Ben Anteau (Jamestown)
9. Hunter McHenry (GF Red River)
10. Griffin House (Century)

CLASS B
GIRLS
Team
1. Rugby
2. Bowman County
3. Hillsboro-Central Valley
4. Kindred
5. New Town
Others Receiving Votes: Grafton

Individual
1. Reagan Baesler (Hillsboro-Central Valley)
2. Jenna Soine (Hatton-Northwood-Larimore)
3. Elise Ramberg (Langdon)
4. Hannah Westin (Shiloh Christian)
5. Brooklyn Bartsch (Rugby)
6. Quinn Neppl (Rugby)
7. Norah Entzi (Edgeley-Kulm)
8. Dreah Frolek (Sargent Central/Lidgerwood)
9. Alexius Miller (Bowman County)
10. Ally Goodmanson (Kindred)

BOYS
Team
1. New Town
2. Bowman County
3. Hillsboro-Central Valley
4. Griggs County Central
5. Thompson

Individual
1. Robert White (New Town)
2. Chase Fossum (Hillsboro-Central Valley)
3. Brian Miller (Bowman County)
4. Jacob Henderickson (Thompson)
5. Noah Rolfe (Stanley)
6. Patrick Wrigley (Shiloh Christian)
7. Addison Red Fox (New Town)
8. Hunter Denault (Pembina County North)
9. Pierce Cooper (Thompson)
10. Ian Busche (Beulah/Hazen)
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Flip » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:46 pm

huge upset if HCV girls figure out how to win state again, right?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby SaltyDog » Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:27 pm

Well it seems that when it came to the polls they seemed pretty close. White started at 1 an finished at 1. Along with his team.
SaltyDog
NDPreps Rookie

Postby hoops4lyf40 » Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:56 am

SaltyDog wrote:Well it seems that when it came to the polls they seemed pretty close. White started at 1 an finished at 1. Along with his team.

Well if you didn’t understand the point I was making, I guess you probably never will. (“ Your rankings of teams and individuals should be based on that current meets, not on how you feel they should place at the end of the year.”)... much like NCAA football, basketball, baseball, Track etc. rankings

But yes, Congratulations to him and New Town! A job well done. He showed he was the best today, as did the Team.

On another note, there were many “upsets” today, if you want to base off of these coaches polls.
hoops4lyf40
NDPreps Starter

Postby Jack8 » Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:08 am

hoops4lyf40 wrote:
PMPT wrote:I think White still should be considered to be the #1 runner in class b boys xc simply based on last year and this year. He rises to the occasion at the bigger meets. I get the feeling he is a good ,"bad weather" runner which could work to his advantage if the present weather trends continue.

Now, and in the last few weeks, absolutely. No arguing that. My point was, up until that point he hadn’t been the fastest runner in class B. This poll is intended to be current rankings based off current times, not end of season predictions. I have no problem with the B boys rankings as they stand currently (minus Red Fox... should be lower). Just not for the first few polls of the season. The first few weeks, there were several faster runners.

Well you were right about Red Fox when you said he should be ranked lower. Last poll had him ranked 7th and what did he finish at state......8th smh

Great job New Town!!!
Jack8
NDPreps Starter

Postby hoops4lyf40 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:45 am

Jack8 wrote:
hoops4lyf40 wrote:

Well you were right about Red Fox when you said he should be ranked lower. Last poll had him ranked 7th and what did he finish at state......8th smh

Great job New Town!!!

Ummmm thanks?

Soooo not only was I right, but it took a pretty big PR to take that 8th spot.
hoops4lyf40
NDPreps Starter

Postby Lybeal » Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:57 am

You said, “An no current class B runner has beaten him ever.” Chase Fossum beat Robert White at state in 2014. It happened once, just saying. :wink:
Lybeal
NDPreps Reserve

Previous

Return to Cross Country