General Cross Country discussion

Re: General Cross Country discussion

Postby Lybeal » Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:59 pm

Not so fast...I’m interested in watching the HCV boys next year.
Lybeal
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:51 pm

Lybeal wrote:Not so fast...I’m interested in watching the HCV boys next year.

New Town will come back to the pack a bit next year but it’s hard to ‘bet’ against New Town in Boys XC (Same with Fargo Davies girls)
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Flip » Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:20 pm

what about the 8 time defending HCV team that returns everyone?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:13 pm

Flip wrote:what about the 8 time defending HCV team that returns everyone?

The gap is closing on them BUT if everyone is healthy then yes. Williston boys should be clear favorites next year too.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby XCguy » Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:56 pm

Class B thoughts:

Dynasties are the norm right now. I love both of the programs and wonder if it is helping or hurting the sport? Nothing at all negative about the New Town boys or the Hillsboro girls, just thinking out loud.

Speaking of New Town, this might be the most dominant dynasty in ND. Any sport. They won by 56 points this year and that was the closest win since their streak started in 2012.

Speaking of Hillsboro, Reagen Baesler has to be in the conversation regarding the best girls in ND cross-country history. She's unbelievable. Conflicting reports about the knee injury but that was really impressive.

That was a fun boys race. Isaac Huber has a terrific college career in front of him assuming that is his plan.

Noah Rolfe and Patrick Wrigley both ran really nice races - those two sophomores are going to be dominant for a couple years.

There seems to be a good split right now for the boys between the east and west. I think that is going to slide over to the west though with there appearing to be more younger, higher placers over there.

I may be mistaken but I believe that four of the top 8 girls teams did not exist ten years ago? Hillsboro, MayPort, Kindred and Thompson - kudos to those programs.

The young talent on the girls side is awesome right now. Teams like Rugby, Kindred, New Town and many others are going to be fun to watch.

The parking and loading/unloading situation on that single lane paved road is a nightmare.
XCguy
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:24 pm

Thompson had been with Hatton-Northwood for quite awhile. Kindred used to be with Fargo North for the longest time. You are seeing more Class B schools picking up XC as a sport...it’s a nice thing to see

I thought the course was vastly improved from two years ago. I agree... Parking is a nightmare
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby theman » Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:32 pm

XCguy wrote:Class B thoughts:

Dynasties are the norm right now. I love both of the programs and wonder if it is helping or hurting the sport? Nothing at all negative about the New Town boys or the Hillsboro girls, just thinking out loud.

Speaking of New Town, this might be the most dominant dynasty in ND. Any sport. They won by 56 points this year and that was the closest win since their streak started in 2012.

Speaking of Hillsboro, Reagen Baesler has to be in the conversation regarding the best girls in ND cross-country history. She's unbelievable. Conflicting reports about the knee injury but that was really impressive.

That was a fun boys race. Isaac Huber has a terrific college career in front of him assuming that is his plan.

Noah Rolfe and Patrick Wrigley both ran really nice races - those two sophomores are going to be dominant for a couple years.

There seems to be a good split right now for the boys between the east and west. I think that is going to slide over to the west though with there appearing to be more younger, higher placers over there.

I may be mistaken but I believe that four of the top 8 girls teams did not exist ten years ago? Hillsboro, MayPort, Kindred and Thompson - kudos to those programs.

The young talent on the girls side is awesome right now. Teams like Rugby, Kindred, New Town and many others are going to be fun to watch.

The parking and loading/unloading situation on that single lane paved road is a nightmare.

I believe both Staci Honeyman and Lindsay Anderson won 5 state xc titles, so while Baesler has been outstanding, I don't know about "best ever".
[url]northdakotarunner.blogspot.com[/url]
theman
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:02 pm

theman wrote:

I believe both Staci Honeyman and Lindsay Anderson won 5 state xc titles, so while Baesler has been outstanding, I don't know about "best ever".

Let’s just name a few:
Joan Hammeren, Bismarck (State Champ 1979-1983)
Kiri Johnson, Bowman (State Champ 1986-1988)
Staci Honeyman, Bowman (State Champ 1998-2001)
Anderson sisters; Krista, Lindsay & Alyssa; Leeds (State Champs 2002-2007; 2010)
Other names that come to mind: Becky Wells (Dickinson), Penny Splichal (Dickinson), Melanie Funke (Minot), Laura Toesker (Fargo South), Tarin Lachowitzer (Fargo Davies), Karly Ackley (GFC)...soon to be Meghan Ford (Jamestown)!

Baesler is among the conversation but I wouldn’t have her in my Top 5...she wins again next year then maybe but Ford May end near Top if she continues her impressive trend
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby 5-time state chump » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:33 am

Run4Fun2009 wrote:

The gap is closing on them BUT if everyone is healthy then yes. Williston boys should be clear favorites next year too.

I don't think its that easy to say "the gap is closing" .

Are they going to win it forever? No.

But, the gap isn't closing, per se. If they had won it 3 years in a row with the same group of girls that happened to be unusually talented, then I'd agree, the gap could close.

Baesler, 3-time state champ, has never won regionals, as far as I know. I think that's part of the big picture.

8 years in a row from a team that didn't have an XC program 9 years ago is mind boggling.
5-time state chump
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby truehedge » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:34 am

have to give a lot of credit to hillsboro girls coach who started program so his daughter could run
and turned it into a 8 year in a row state champion team
truehedge
NDPreps Rookie

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:37 am

5-time state chump wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:

I don't think its that easy to say "the gap is closing" .

Are they going to win it forever? No.

But, the gap isn't closing, per se. If they had won it 3 years in a row with the same group of girls that happened to be unusually talented, then I'd agree, the gap could close.

Baesler, 3-time state champ, has never won regionals, as far as I know. I think that's part of the big picture.

8 years in a row from a team that didn't have an XC program 9 years ago is mind boggling.

I stated gap is closing by the 18 point margin basically...Rugby had 7 or 8 ahead of HCV’s 5th runner. Rugby will be a challenger for HCV for a few years...HCV is always very well prepared for State...Coach Zink does a good job getting them prepared and the athletes take care of business. Never said anything to ‘knock’ their program...we try to invite them each year to our meet in Fargo so they can showcase their talent. Their program is also very humble in victory...which is also a testament to the coach.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Flip » Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:50 pm

Is there a state record for fewest points in a state meet?
Would that be a good argument for "best team ever?"
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby theman » Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:34 pm

Flip wrote:Is there a state record for fewest points in a state meet?

In the last 15 years both Bismarck Boys and New Town Boys have scored 17 points at the state meet (6 of the top 7 runners each time), and I don't believe the state meet has ever been perfect scored. I can't remember what year, 2009 I think, but Bismarck's 10th runner at state was in the low-20s for place. That was probably one of the best teams in state history.
theman
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Lybeal » Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:56 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
theman wrote:

Let’s just name a few:
Anderson sisters; Krista, Lindsay & Alyssa; Leeds (State Champs 2002-2007; 2010)
Other names that come to mind: Becky Wells (Dickinson), Penny Splichal (Dickinson), Melanie Funke (Minot), Laura Toesker (Fargo South), Tarin Lachowitzer (Fargo Davies), Karly Ackley (GFC)...soon to be Meghan Ford (Jamestown)!

Baesler is among the conversation but I wouldn’t have her in my Top 5...she wins again next year then maybe but Ford May end near Top if she continues her impressive trend

No disrespect to past champions; their records are impressive and commendable, but give credit where credit is due. Baesler is the (new age) 3 time state champion where races are now 5K’s and the number of participants has tripled over the years in one of the fastest growing sports in ND. She definitely belongs on top of North Dakota’s list as one of the best 5k runners.
Lybeal
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:52 pm

Lybeal wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:
theman wrote:

Speaking of Hillsboro, Reagen Baesler has to be in the conversation regarding the best girls in [b]ND cross-country history. [/b] She's unbelievable. Conflicting reports about the knee injury but that was really impressive.

Let’s just name a few:

No disrespect to past champions; their records are impressive and commendable, but give credit where credit is due. Baesler is the (new age) 3 time state champion where races are now 5K’s and the number of participants has tripled over the years in one of the fastest growing sports in ND. She definitely belongs on top of North Dakota’s list as one of the best 5k runners.

First you state in 'ND State History' now you just want to talk about the 5Ks that have been run for 3 seasons. Fine...for the past 3 seasons she has been the best. I'm more impressed with what she ran through this season but I NEVER didn't give her credit. I was looking through history as the statement previously stated and gave facts to back up other potential 'greats' in ND. If you want to just consider the 3 years of 5Ks being run by girls in ND then yes she is!
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:46 pm

Flip wrote:Is there a state record for fewest points in a state meet?

I researched back for the past 25 years...Top 15 ordered by lowest points scored

CLASS A BOYS
2011 - Bismarck (17)
2009 - Bismarck (21)
2005 - Bismarck (28)
2013 - Bismarck (29)
2014 - Bismarck (31)
2002 - Fargo South (31)
2008 - Bismarck (34)
2003 - Fargo South (34)
1996 - Jamestown (38)
2015 - Bismarck (43)
2012 - Bismarck (43)
2004 - Williston (43)
2006 - Bismarck (46)
1997 - Jamestown (52)
2010 - Bismarck (53)

CLASS A GIRLS
2001 - Dickinson (25)
2009 - Bismarck (32)
2003 - Dickinson (32)
2000 - Dickinson (33)
1998 - Jamestown (33)
1996 - Jamestown (35)
2002 - Dickinson (40)
1997 - Jamestown (41)
2012 - Bismarck (42)
2008 - Bismarck (43)
1995 - Jamestown (44)
2004 - Dickinson (45)
2011 - Fargo Davies (47)
2006 - Minot (47)
1994 - Minot (50)

CLASS B BOYS
2015 - New Town (17)
2016 - New Town (18)
1994 - Bowman (23)
2014 - New Town (24)
2017 - New Town (29)
2005 - New Town (35)
2007 - New Town (39)
1997 - Griggs County Central (41)
1995 - Bowman (41)
2001 - Fort Berthold (44)
2013 - New Town (45)
2006 - New Town (46)
2018 - New Town (47)
1996 - Griggs County Central (52)
2008 - New Town (55)

CLASS B GIRLS
1994 - Bowman (17)
2000 - Bowman (19)
1998 - Bowman (21)
1999 - Bowman (22)
1995 - Bowman (22)
1997 - Bowman (32)
2001 - Bowman (36)
1996 - Bowman (37)
2002 - New Town (49)
2004 - Bowman (50)
2003 - Bowman (52)
2010 - Rugby (55)
2012 - Hillsboro-Central Valley (63)
2007 - Grafton (69)
2005 - Bowman (78)
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Flip » Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:21 am

Run4Fun2009 wrote:I researched back for the past 25 years...Top 15 ordered by lowest points scored

Do you think this is a good way to determine or help determine the best team(s) ever?
Can you look at Class A boys and definitively say the 2011 Bismarck team was better than the 2002 Fargo South team?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby XCguy » Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:46 am

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
Lybeal wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:
theman wrote:

Speaking of Hillsboro, Reagen Baesler has to be in the conversation regarding the best girls in [b]ND cross-country history. [/b] She's unbelievable. Conflicting reports about the knee injury but that was really impressive.

Let’s just name a few:

First you state in 'ND State History' now you just want to talk about the 5Ks that have been run for 3 seasons. Fine...for the past 3 seasons she has been the best. I'm more impressed with what she ran through this season but I NEVER didn't give her credit. I was looking through history as the statement previously stated and gave facts to back up other potential 'greats' in ND. If you want to just consider the 3 years of 5Ks being run by girls in ND then yes she is!

Your quote clearly shows that two different people said two different things. I said that she is in the conversation regarding the best of all-time. I would argue that all day, every day. It is a different era of girls cross-country with both exploding quality and quantity.
XCguy
NDPreps Reserve

Postby XCguy » Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:54 am

Flip wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:I researched back for the past 25 years...Top 15 ordered by lowest points scored

Do you think this is a good way to determine or help determine the best team(s) ever?
Can you look at Class A boys and definitively say the 2011 Bismarck team was better than the 2002 Fargo South team?

It's nice for conversation but is a poor indicator because of the difference in numbers of teams and athletes. New Town boys scoring 17 in 2015 (with 247 runners) is way more dominant than Bowman girls scoring 17 in 1994.
XCguy
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:22 am

XCguy wrote:
Flip wrote:

It's nice for conversation but is a poor indicator because of the difference in numbers of teams and athletes. New Town boys scoring 17 in 2015 (with 247 runners) is way more dominant than Bowman girls scoring 17 in 1994.

It's comparing Apples to Oranges...I totally agree Cross Country is in a better place now then it was back when I competed (2000-2005 seasons). The 5K move for girls has made it better IMO. The question was asked about 'State Records for points scored'...just went through the research I had but no it's hard to compare anything before 2010 to now. Bowman's dominance back in the beginning years of the research is pretty impressive though. They always had 4 or 5 runners in the Top 10...but that was 4Ks and awhile back. New Town, Bismarck, Bowman & Dickinson (A girls) have had their share of impressive teams and showings at State (this research was a bit of a 'trip down memory lane' for me).

Side Note: I missed the fact that it was two different users on that long post...that's my bad. In the end after thinking about things...it's really hard to compare the girls levels with the change in race distances. I just know more about the dominance of some athletes from my era and before. It's good for debating on comparisons but there is no real, true answer to some of these questions on 'what team is the best?' or 'best athlete?'. Conclusion: I like the direction cross country is headed in ND. Much more popular of a sport state-wide and it will get more popular as we continue forward.

Winning after enduring the injury Baesler had...it is extremely impressive!
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby theman » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:21 pm

Hello all,

The last couple of years I've been looking at some of the numbers at the state meet. It's kind of fun! But anyway today I finished my post for the Class A and B Girls. If you like reading about cross country in your free time, you can check it out here:

https://northdakotarunner.blogspot.com/2018/11/north-dakota-state-cross-country-2018.html

Feel free to message me if there's any mistakes or if you feel like I singled out a school unfairly for some reason.

Thanks!
theman
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:43 pm

theman wrote:Hello all,

The last couple of years I've been looking at some of the numbers at the state meet. It's kind of fun! But anyway today I finished my post for the Class A and B Girls. If you like reading about cross country in your free time, you can check it out here:

https://northdakotarunner.blogspot.com/2018/11/north-dakota-state-cross-country-2018.html

Feel free to message me if there's any mistakes or if you feel like I singled out a school unfairly for some reason.

Thanks!

Key stat to the Bismarck girls falling off from your predictions would be Mattie Shirley-Fairbairn not competing this season; score would have dropped drastically with her near the front...and Davies has LOTS of girls waiting in the wings..so don't count them out.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby theman » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:28 pm

theman
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby theman » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:29 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
theman wrote:Hello all,

Thanks!

Key stat to the Bismarck girls falling off from your predictions would be Mattie Shirley-Fairbairn not competing this season; score would have dropped drastically with her near the front...and Davies has LOTS of girls waiting in the wings..so don't count them out.

Yeah, I just put up the boys post and I'm wondering if Carrington was without a key runner this year, they didn't meet predictions either.

And I'm not discounting anybody! I'm just going by what the numbers say :D
theman
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby theman » Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:24 pm

Nike Regional Cross Country Meet was held today in Yankton, SD. Highs in the upper 20s, overcast, and breezy. I'm guessing the course is pretty flat, because though I've never seen it, times were pretty fast considering the conditions. Here's the ND kids in the top 20 I could find (and top 40 for the championship races):
Boys:
Boys Championship
16. Brady Yoder (Dickinson/10th Grade) 15:38
18. Micade Shumway (Williston/11th Grade) 15:39
34. Carl Reis (Bis Legacy/12th Grade) 15:54
36. Sean Korsmo (Bis High/10th Grade) 15:55
(top class B was Robert White, New Town, 103rd place, 16:19)

Boys Rising Stars
2. Jacob Knodel (WFS/10th grade) 16:15
6. Mason Kindel (Bis Century/10th grade) 16:44
7. Fynn Krenz (Williston/8th grade) 16:46
9. Matthew Rongitsch (GFRR/8th grade) 16:47
10. Gunnar Alvarado (Williston/10th grade) 16:51
12. Hunter McHenry (GFRR/9th Grade) 16:57
19. Ethan Bender (Bis Century/10th Grade) 17:12

Boys Open 1
1. Leif Larsen (Williston/11th grade) 16:16

Boys Open 2, 3, and 4
None