True Sportsmanship - Amazing Story

True Sportsmanship - Amazing Story

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:07 pm

DLHS RUNNER HELPS INJURED OPPONENT

'Melanie Bailey, a senior at DLHS says she simply “Did the right thing” Saturday while running girls varsity cross country at the Ponderosa Golf Course in Glyndon, Minn., an EDC meet sponsored by Fargo schools.

At just past the two-mile mark of the 2.4 mile course the runner ahead of her, senior Danielle Lenoue, was limping and crying, obviously in a great deal of pain, so Bailey stopped and offered help. Though the Fargo South runner kept telling her to “go on” Bailey refused.

“She was just sobbing, I couldn’t leave her,” she explained.

So she tried having the girl lean on her, to help her walk to where they could get help, but that didn’t work. “It wasn’t enough,” she explained.

“I felt so bad for her, I had to do something,” Bailey said, so she finally took the taller, heavier girl onto her back and carried her to get medical attention, a distance of approximately a quarter of a mile.

Lenoue messaged Bailey later, telling her that she had torn her patella tendon and meniscus.

Bailey lives with her grandmother, Cynthia Lindquist, in Devils Lake and hopes to pursue a carrer in physical therapy after graduation. She’s not certain what college she will attend and is considering several in the area.

When asked if she felt like a hero after this incident, Bailey replied, “I feel like I was just doing the right thing.”'

Read more: http://www.devilslakejournal.com/articl ... z3GH0xPgVp
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Re: True Sportsmanship - Amazing Story

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:10 pm

This story has made it across the country now...its on many major websites and been on ABC News and others.

What this young lady did at the EDC Championships last Saturday has brightened the World and has shown that there is still caring people with compassion left in Sports!!

This is the best thing I've seen and I was glad that I was able to witness it first-hand!! This young lady has taught everyone a new and important life lesson!
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby hooligan1901 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:29 am

Your are so correct. A very heartwarming story. I, like you, was glad to have witnessed a truly remarkable and unselfish act of sportsmanship.
hooligan1901
NDPreps Rookie

Postby WDA_fan » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:21 am

I wasn't there but what a GREAT story. It is also getting great publicity all over the place. Awesome!!
WDA_fan
NDPreps Starter

Return to Cross Country