Class A Girls Soccer 2007

Postby sprts008 » Thu May 10, 2007 12:15 pm

ndsoccerfan wrote:Rachael Loomis was named Gatorade Player of the Year yesterday, http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=165140&section=Sports&freebie_check&CFID=33509241&CFTOKEN=31954607&jsessionid=883080a0f9f02d2c4457

I'm a little surprised that she won only being a junior.  Also I read on another message board that shes already committed to play at UND.

As far as how the spring is shaping up it, there seems to be three teams ahead of everyone else.  F. South, F. North, B. Century.

Any other thoughts on Girls Soccer?

i was also suprised that she won, i think there are a few senior girls that could have just as well gotten it, why not wait until she is a senior and give it to a senior this year because there are a few of them that are very good athletes
Last edited by sprts008 on Thu May 10, 2007 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sprts008

Postby demonfan74 » Fri May 11, 2007 11:55 am

Looks like I was right in assuming the century girls soccer team would be alright this year.  Lafrance had a heck of a game last night.  I haven't seen that girl from south play, but I am willing to guess lafrance, obermiller, and zarling could have been likely candidates for that award. 

Who do you think will win miss soccer?

Obermiller and zarling both score their share of goals, but aside from both of their teams, there is no one else in that conference.  South beat DL 12-0 and 18-0 so their statistics could look better than the west players.

Lafrance plays in a tougher conference and still scores many goals and gets assists.  However, since she didn't play last year, I think that will work against her.       

Any other thoughts?
demonfan74
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby GFRR99 » Fri May 11, 2007 12:20 pm

demonfan74 wrote:Looks like I was right in assuming the century girls soccer team would be alright this year.  Lafrance had a heck of a game last night.  I haven't seen that girl from south play, but I am willing to guess lafrance, obermiller, and zarling could have been likely candidates for that award. 

Obermiller and zarling both score their share of goals, but aside from both of their teams, there is no one else in that conference.  South beat DL 12-0 and 18-0 so their statistics could look better than the west players.

Lafrance plays in a tougher conference and still scores many goals and gets assists.  However, since she didn't play last year, I think that will work against her.       

Any other thoughts?

i wouldnt say the west is a tougher conference, north and south are the best two teams in the state. ive seen every team from the west play except for bismarck high and the only good team is century but i still think it would be hard for them to beat north or south.

for miss soccer, obermiller is a great player but sam johnson from north is even a better player and has a good chance to win. but i see zarling, johnson or obermiller winning.

cant see the west doing good at state
GFRR99
NDPreps All-State

Postby sprts008 » Fri May 11, 2007 4:12 pm

sportsman20 wrote:
demonfan74 wrote:Looks like I was right in assuming the century girls soccer team would be alright this year.  Lafrance had a heck of a game last night.  I haven't seen that girl from south play, but I am willing to guess lafrance, obermiller, and zarling could have been likely candidates for that award. 

Any other thoughts?

i wouldnt say the west is a tougher conference, north and south are the best two teams in the state. ive seen every team from the west play except for bismarck high and the only good team is century but i still think it would be hard for them to beat north or south.

for miss soccer, obermiller is a great player but sam johnson from north is even a better player and has a good chance to win. but i see zarling, johnson or obermiller winning.

at the jamestown crossover bismark high tied south 3-3, the wet weather could have been a factor in that but still they could be right up there with north at south at state, but i will not aruge with you that north and south are the 2 best teams in the state, as far as miss soccer i think that sam johnson should get that, obermiller and zarling are a good competion for her but from what i have heard sam is not only a great player but she is also a great role model
sprts008

Postby Baller » Sat May 12, 2007 2:16 pm

I am going to throw Laura Ihry out there too.   I think she has had a much better season that Zarling for South.
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby GFRR99 » Sun May 13, 2007 2:48 pm

sprts008 wrote:
sportsman20 wrote:

Any other thoughts?

at the jamestown crossover bismark high tied south 3-3, the wet weather could have been a factor in that but still they could be right up there with north at south at state, but i will not aruge with you that north and south are the 2 best teams in the state, as far as miss soccer i think that sam johnson should get that, obermiller and zarling are a good competion for her but from what i have heard sam is not only a great player but she is also a great role model

south did not play their starters that game while most of the jv players were given a shot
GFRR99
NDPreps All-State

Postby sprts008 » Sun May 13, 2007 6:30 pm

sportsman20 wrote:
sprts008 wrote:
sportsman20 wrote:

Any other thoughts?

south did not play their starters that game while most of the jv players were given a shot

that is what i heard this weekend.... the fargo crossover is comming up next weekend so we can see how more of the teams are comparing this year
sprts008

Postby ndsoccerfan » Mon May 14, 2007 5:22 am

Just my thoughts as the season winds down. 

Century, South and North are significantly better than everyone else.  As far as East vs West.  There is no one to challenge century in the west (yes, I know they lost to mandan but anything can happen) so at the top the North and South are better than St. Mary's and Century (if you look at the top two teams as a pair).  But 3-5 the West is MUCH stronger.  Bismarck High, Jamestown, and Mandan are better than Shanley, West Fargo and Red River. 

As for Miss Soccer, the three best seniors are Johnson (F. North), Zarling (F. South), and LaFrance (Century).  I think not playing last year will really hurt LaFrance.  I think it is a toss up between Zarling and Johnson.  They X factor in the whole thing is the North coach is really going to have to decide between obemiller and johnson for which player he thinks is their "miss soccer" canidate.  There is a chance that he would suggest obemiller over johnson.

Just my thoughts.
ndsoccerfan
NDPreps Rookie

Postby sprts008 » Mon May 14, 2007 6:02 pm

johnson has a much better season this season than obermiller, obermiller seems to have a harder time working with her other players than johnson does, sam seems to be able to connect with anyone when she plays and sue sometimes has a problem with that, as far as this year goes i think that johnson has had a much better season than obermiller
sprts008

Postby sprts008 » Tue May 15, 2007 3:37 am

at the bottom part of this mornings paper, about north and WF's game, it says that sam has 19 season goals, i dont understand why they would give the gatorade player of the year to a junior with 6 goals when there is a senior that much more deserves it and at the time they gave that im positive sam would have had more goals
sprts008

Postby ndsoccerfan » Tue May 15, 2007 9:19 am

There's more to soccer than goals. 

I don't doubt that loomis is the best player in the state, but I don't think that it is clear enough for her to win it as a junior. 

Does anyone know who decides these things (GPOY and Miss Soccer) is it coaches, media, both?
ndsoccerfan
NDPreps Rookie

Postby rep » Tue May 15, 2007 11:57 am

to my knowledge media doesn't pick it. might be wrong, but i'd guess coaches.
rep

Postby demonfan74 » Wed May 16, 2007 2:35 pm

I just remembered that in some other posts on the basketball board they said that mr basketball isn't a career award.  So if that is true, than neither is miss soccer.  So then lafrance not playing last year should have no bearing on her chances of winning it, correct? Also, if she was out with an injury, that is hard to justify why she shouldn't win. 

I also forgot to mention sam johnson as a pick.  I think she would be just as deserving as the others. 
demonfan74
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby rep » Thu May 17, 2007 11:53 am

except for media picks the mr/miss basketball awards.

if a different group picks the soccer awards, they may have a different criteria.
rep

Postby demonfan74 » Thu May 17, 2007 4:27 pm

Does a different group really pick?  If so why is it different for another sport? They should be consistant throughout, in my opinion. 
demonfan74
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby rep » Thu May 17, 2007 4:42 pm

i agree, but i don't think it will ever happen. my guess is that most media doesn't know enough about soccer to really qualify what makes a player good or not. i cover games, i watch what happens, but i can't really say i know much about the game.

i mean, i can tell when one team is really pressing and when a player seems to stand out above the ones around her/him, but as far as knowing why someone did this or that strategy-wise, i leave that to the coaches.

i have no clue if 'through ball' should be hyphonated or not, 50-50 balls kind of confuse me and i don't understand why some people just overhand throw the ball onto the field and some others do flips while throwing. and i don't think i'm alone in that, so when i write the stories, i try not to depend solely on game terminology and instead just say what happened.
rep

Postby demonfan74 » Fri May 18, 2007 3:54 am

That's understandable, I suppose.  If you aren't qualified to make those assessments, you probably shouldn't be doing them. 
demonfan74
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby sprts008 » Mon May 28, 2007 3:32 pm

Girls State Soccer May 31-Jun 2

Thursday games:

Bismarck Century (No. 1 West) vs. Fargo Shanley (No. 4 East), 4 p.m.
Bismarck St. Mary's (No. 2 West) vs. GF Red River (No. 3 East), 4 p.m.
Fargo North (No. 2 East) vs. Jamestown (No. 3 West), 6 p.m. (approximate)
Fargo South (No. 1 East) vs. Bismarck High (No. 4 West), 6 p.m. (approximate)

Who do you think will win those games? and who do you think will come out on top?
sprts008

Postby GFRR99 » Mon May 28, 2007 3:51 pm

sprts008 wrote:Girls State Soccer May 31-Jun 2

Thursday games:

Bismarck Century (No. 1 West) vs. Fargo Shanley (No. 4 East), 4 p.m.
Bismarck St. Mary's (No. 2 West) vs. GF Red River (No. 3 East), 4 p.m.
Fargo North (No. 2 East) vs. Jamestown (No. 3 West), 6 p.m. (approximate)
Fargo South (No. 1 East) vs. Bismarck High (No. 4 West), 6 p.m. (approximate)

Who do you think will win those games? and who do you think will come out on top?

every game the favorite should win by a good amount
GFRR99
NDPreps All-State

Postby ndsoccerfan » Tue May 29, 2007 8:16 am

A couple of potential upsets.  Red River over St. Mary's and BHS over South.  I know both of these are long shots but BHS and South tied at the east/west and BHS isn't your typical #4 seed.

St. Mary's has struggled to score goals and Red River may have some jump being the host and no in the tournament a year ago.

In the end the only three teams I can see good enough to win the whole thing are South, Century, and North.
ndsoccerfan
NDPreps Rookie

Postby sprts008 » Tue May 29, 2007 9:08 am

ndsoccerfan wrote:A couple of potential upsets.  Red River over St. Mary's and BHS over South.  I know both of these are long shots but BHS and South tied at the east/west and BHS isn't your typical #4 seed.

St. Mary's has struggled to score goals and Red River may have some jump being the host and no in the tournament a year ago.

In the end the only three teams I can see good enough to win the whole thing are South, Century, and North.

from what i heard South brought up a few players from JV that game and they also let the non starters get some more playing time during that game... it would be quite the game if south loses in the first round... and i agree that red river could end up beating st.marys
sprts008

Postby Ming01 » Tue May 29, 2007 3:15 pm

ndsoccerfan wrote:A couple of potential upsets.  Red River over St. Mary's and BHS over South.  I know both of these are long shots but BHS and South tied at the east/west and BHS isn't your typical #4 seed.

SM started the season awfully slow, but that's typical with a young team.  Game by game they got better and better and their last few games of the season they were very impressive upsetting Century and putting up a 7 spot against Minot.  Plus, they beat Red River at the east-west classic.

I'll take South over BHS, Century over whoever they play, North over JTown, and SM over Red River.  Then Century over North and expect SM to play South tough the whole way but South will pull away at the end.  And in the ship I'll take South over Century.

Last edited by Ming01 on Tue May 29, 2007 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby sprts008 » Wed May 30, 2007 5:14 am

Ming01 wrote:

SM started the season awfully slow, but that's typical with a young team.  Game by game they got better and better and their last few games of the season they were very impressive upsetting Century and putting up a 7 spot against Minot.  Plus, they beat Red River at the east-west classic.

I'll take South over BHS, Century over whoever they play, North over JTown, and SM over Red River.  Then Century over North and expect SM to play South tough the whole way but South will pull away at the end.  And in the ship I'll take South over Century.

i think that it will end up being north and south fighting in the end, and if north wants revenge for the game the lost to south in which they got a goal take away from them, they had an own goal, and a PK that shouldnt have been a PK... and they want a win instead of a tie, in that game they also got a goal taken away beacuse of a poor call, it was a 50-50 ball between johnson and the goalie johnson got the ball and scored but it was called of -- because of the those games i think north will want the win bad and will do whatever it takes to get in the championship game against south and if they want it bad enough they could pull it off--- north went into state with the number 2 seed the last 2 years, both years ending up in the championship and winning it last year...

so this is how i think it will end up ...

Bismarck Century over Fargo Shanley
Bismarck St. Mary's *this could go either way* GF Red River (No. 3 East), 4 p.m.
--- the GF fields are VERY windy and since GF practices in the wind all the time they might get an advantage in that way
Fargo North over Jamestown
Fargo South over Bismarck High

then south win will the game they play in
and it will be a good game between north and centry but north will come with a win in that game

north and south in the championship and then everything i said up there will apply to who comes out with that game
sprts008

Postby sprts008 » Thu May 31, 2007 6:37 am

Fargo Forum

Fargo South

- Coach: Dan Dougherty

- Record: 13-0-2

-Players to watch: Laura Ihry, Sr., F (15 goals, 7 assists); Kelsy Railing, Sr., D (1 goal, 1 assist); Alex Zarling, Sr., F/MF (9 goals, 10 assists); Rachael Loomis, Jr., MF/F (14 goals, 11 assists); Kayla Schultz, Jr., MF/F (9 goals, 4 assists); Ciara Aldrich, Sr., GK.

Team notes: During the regular season, South scored a 3-3 tie against Bismarck, which will play the Bruins in the first round. … South has had 17 different players score goals this season. The Bruins have had 10 players score three or more goals. “We have an awful lot of shooters who can score from a different number of areas and ranges,â€Â
Last edited by sprts008 on Thu May 31, 2007 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
sprts008

Postby Ming01 » Thu May 31, 2007 1:56 pm

SM beat Red River, dont know the score tho
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Soccer