2014 Girls State Tourney Preview

2014 Girls State Tourney Preview

Postby NoDakular_Context » Wed May 28, 2014 1:54 pm

Anybody out there want to prognosticate on the 2014 Girls tourney in GF? Teams/Players to watch, matchups, etc.? There should be some really good East vs. West games all(??) weekend!
NoDakular_Context
NDPreps Reserve

Re: 2014 Girls State Tourney Preview

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Wed May 28, 2014 2:10 pm

Shanley & Century in title
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby NoDakular_Context » Wed May 28, 2014 8:40 pm

Not sure I'm convinced about Century. They beat FN 1-0 in FN's first game of the season, in Mandan, late minutes. Century tied Shanley a week ago, with Shanley missing 5 starters for Prom. No disrespect to Century, but all four East teams could give them trouble, beginning with a sneaky GFRR squad. North is playing pretty complete soccer right now, and has found a couple scorers in Muhlenberg and M Sarafolean. I love Kevin Roos, but Michelle Crary should have gotten EDC Coach of the Year. Davies midfield is quite good, but heard something yesterday about a top player being unavailable (injury, or ??) Davies vs Minot game will be interesting, but Shanley will probably advance on that side of the bracket. I agree that Zaeske and Reinholtz will likely carry Shanley to the title, but I think Century's run comes to an earlier end.
NoDakular_Context
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Thu May 29, 2014 6:13 pm

Century took care of GFRR today...tomorrow's game will be a good one vs. Fargo North
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri May 30, 2014 7:41 pm

NoDakular_Context wrote:Not sure I'm convinced about Century. They beat FN 1-0 in FN's first game of the season, in Mandan, late minutes. Century tied Shanley a week ago, with Shanley missing 5 starters for Prom. No disrespect to Century, but all four East teams could give them trouble, beginning with a sneaky GFRR squad. North is playing pretty complete soccer right now, and has found a couple scorers in Muhlenberg and M Sarafolean. I love Kevin Roos, but Michelle Crary should have gotten EDC Coach of the Year. Davies midfield is quite good, but heard something yesterday about a top player being unavailable (injury, or ??) Davies vs Minot game will be interesting, but Shanley will probably advance on that side of the bracket. I agree that Zaeske and Reinholtz will likely carry Shanley to the title, but I think Century's run comes to an earlier end.

Can't base things at the end of the year on what happened in the first game of season.

Well Century is in the Championship...
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby NoDakular_Context » Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:53 pm

Hindsight being 20-20 (as always), I was not surprised by anything I saw with the weekend's games. True to prediction, East teams were strong, and the only real surprise was Shanley running into trouble with Davies... one point on a shootout is about as close as they get. Century was as good as expected, and absolutely lived off corners. North/Century game was as advertised; close late, although Century was the better team. North also gave Shanley another tough run, with Shanley only sealing the game late.

I disagree with the contention that early season games don't mean much; with exception of minor roster/positional tweaks, talent cannot be significantly developed through the season. Early season crossovers were very telling. Most teams did not look much different throughout the season. Too bad that another bad weather season nixed another set of crossovers.

Davies was a dangerous team, lurking. None of their losses were anything but close. Probably only bad loss was 0-1 (last game of season) in Grand Forks.

Kudos to Michelle Crary for 2014 COTY. A young (1st year) coach whom we will certainly see in the tournament in years to come.

Finally, some great young talent on a number of teams. Dakota United, Minot Magic and Tri-City Storm are turning out better players than we've ever seen in the State.
NoDakular_Context
NDPreps Reserve

Return to Soccer