Spring Golf 2020

Spring Golf 2020

Postby ClassAFootball123 » Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:39 am

Just wanted to get some peoples thoughts on the chances of there being a golf season this spring. Golf is a little different from other sports in the regard that everyone is mostly independent on the course, but I still can't see the NDHSAA allowing some sports to happen while others cancel. Another interesting thing are the golf courses opening around the state and I am wondering if this will play a factor into a golf season happening this spring.
ClassAFootball123
NDPreps Rookie

Re: Spring Golf 2020

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:58 am

My guess would be it will be all or nothing for spring sports.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby ProV1X » Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:40 pm

Yes, unfortunately the word is either all sports will be on or cancelled. It sounds like it is up to NDHSAA along with Dept of Public Instruction guidance. Also hearing that NDHSAA will base it on returning to school, even though Burgum seems to describe distance learning as being in school. The kids need a positive experience to have some sense of "normalcy" and for the seniors a closure of some sort.

On the Class B side, there would have been some real history chasing for boys and girls with this springs season. The NDHSAA has another board meeting Friday, which I assume we will get a decision. I hope they entertain all options, including extended the spring sports season for these students.
ProV1X
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Sportsrube » Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:19 pm

It's going to make the people who canceled the American Legion Baseball season already look pretty silly if the NDHSAA allows spring baseball. Then again, with no Legion season the High School season could go until July if it had to. My personal opinion, as long as schools are doing distance learning and the Governor keeps kids out of the building, there is no way the NDHSAA can allow spring sports.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ProV1X » Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:22 am

All the American Legion teams are planning on playing and have a schedule set (depending on Burgum's direction for large sporting events), they just wont be under the American Legion name this summer.
Golf could easily be done with the natural social distancing that occurs anyway. Based on what I have seen at golf courses and social media, many kids are playing almost everyday now.
But I believe that you are spot on, that NDHSAA will cancel all spring sports at their meeting this Friday.
ProV1X
NDPreps Reserve

Postby ProV1X » Thu May 07, 2020 4:13 pm

Looks like there will be a few tournaments in early June for the 3 golf divisions that currently play their season in the spring. The ND High School Bell Bank Senior Golf Invitational at Fargo Country Club ( 1 day, seniors only) and the ND Spring Golf Championship in Bismarck at Riverwood (2 day event). Its nice to see people like Mark Johnson at FCC and Chris Geiss from Glen Ullin put together a couple of events for high school players. I have heard when Geiss is involved the events are first class. I think I read he used to run a junior tour in the western part of the state at one time with 75-100 golfers.
ProV1X
NDPreps Reserve

Return to Golf