2010 Optimists All Star VB

2010 Optimists All Star VB

Postby yosports » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:53 pm

Does anyone have a list of the girls on the VB all star teams for this year?

The matches are June 21 in Fargo and June 22 in Bismarck.
yosports
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 81
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:10 am

Re: 2010 Optimists All Star VB

Postby yosports » Sat May 01, 2010 11:36 am

I am SHOCKED to see that not one Red River player is on the regular team! No disprespect to the players who made the team, but what is the criteria for making the team? Steffen was all conference 2 years, all state, and is a great hitter and awesome defensive player and played on a very balanced State Championship team! She is playing at NDSCS this fall. And Alexa Bateman, who is probably the best libero in the state, is not even mentioned! (Maybe she declined the invitation? but why?) In looking at the Class A girls on the team, there seems to be something fishy. Is it all based on stats so when you have a good player on a mediocre team then their stats stand out compared to a great player on a balanced team? I am not familiar with the selection process so someone please enlighten me.
yosports
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 81
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:10 am

Re: 2010 Optimists All Star VB

Postby scoobyx2 » Sat May 01, 2010 12:37 pm

Who made the roster?
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame
 
Posts: 1208
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:19 pm

Re: 2010 Optimists All Star VB

Postby yosports » Sat May 01, 2010 5:50 pm

Katelyn Paulson, Hatton-Northwood, Beth Jodhim from Griggs County Central, Jenna Green from West Fargo, Madalyn Laske and Sammi Post fom Shanley, Kristin Cochran and Angie Waller from Fargo North, Abby Carslon from Fargo South, Nicole Hulm from Wyndmere-Ledgerwood, Madison Gangelman from Central Cass, Kali Olson from Lisbon, Lacey Ryckman from Linton.
Alternates: Jordyn Steffen and Megan Stoley from GFRR, Rachel Bachman, Langdon, Amber Voilanti, Rolla Rock Lake, Carly Van Bruggen Litchvill-M-M,
yosports
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 81
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:10 am

Re: 2010 Optimists All Star VB

Postby 1205 » Tue May 11, 2010 8:44 pm

The lack of Red River players makes a joke of this year's All Star game. Steffen, Stoley and Bateman all should be playing. Evers is playing in the basketball All Star game which takes her out of the volleyball game. The Class A State Champ has nobody playing? Seriously?
1205
NDPreps Reserve
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:16 pm

Re: 2010 Optimists All Star VB

Postby Hinsa » Thu May 13, 2010 12:02 am

1205 wrote:The lack of Red River players makes a joke of this year's All Star game. Steffen, Stoley and Bateman all should be playing. Evers is playing in the basketball All Star game which takes her out of the volleyball game. The Class A State Champ has nobody playing? Seriously?

Do you know for sure that the others weren't offered a spot and turned it down?
Twins and Vikings Forever!
User avatar
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 2027
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:53 am
Location: THE Red River Valley Conference

Re: 2010 Optimists All Star VB

Postby 1205 » Thu May 13, 2010 6:35 pm

Evers might have been asked to play volleyball but she can't play in both the basketball and volleyball all star games and she is playing in the basketball game. Steffen and Stoley were asked only as alternates and I don't believe Bateman was asked at all, which is a shame. Yosports is right that it must be based on stats and Red River's balance overshadows how talented the players were.
1205
NDPreps Reserve
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:16 pm

Re: 2010 Optimists All Star VB

Postby senser » Mon May 17, 2010 3:27 pm

It's not based on stats at all.

The Optimists game is a compilation of players that were voted on the All State Team, and then it filters down to WDA/EDC/Regional selections if they need to fill out teams. You're "awarded" the oppurtunity to play.

Considering both Class A/B play together, you're looking at selecting 10-12 kids from the East in both Class A/B that were voted All State, and then EDC/Regional selections if needed.

I don't know who was voted to All State from Red River. I would assume Evers is playing basketball, so she cannot play volleyball. Sometimes things come up and kids just don't want to participate, which could be very likely too. I see Steffans/Stoley are alternates, so they must have been EDC at least.

I see Steffan was All State this year. All State is voted on as a point system. It is most likely that she recieved less votes than the players who are participating, and not enough All State players denied the invitation for rank to get down to her to be asked.
senser
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 87
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:31 pm
Location: Grand Forks

Re: 2010 Optimists All Star VB

Postby scoobyx2 » Tue May 18, 2010 5:09 am

senser wrote:It's not based on stats at all.

The Optimists game is a compilation of players that were voted on the All State Team, and then it filters down to WDA/EDC/Regional selections if they need to fill out teams. You're "awarded" the oppurtunity to play.

Considering both Class A/B play together, you're looking at selecting 10-12 kids from the East in both Class A/B that were voted All State, and then EDC/Regional selections if needed.

I don't know who was voted to All State from Red River. I would assume Evers is playing basketball, so she cannot play volleyball. Sometimes things come up and kids just don't want to participate, which could be very likely too. I see Steffans/Stoley are alternates, so they must have been EDC at least.

I see Steffan was All State this year. All State is voted on as a point system. It is most likely that she recieved less votes than the players who are participating, and not enough All State players denied the invitation for rank to get down to her to be asked.

Thank you for that explanation. I was curious too as to why a Red River player wasn't on the team. Steffan, Stoley, and Bateman made the All-Tournament team at State but did not make the All-State team for the season. I believe Evers and Asche were the only 2 players from RR that were selected for the All-State team. Evers is on the All-Star BB roster.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame
 
Posts: 1208
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:19 pm

Re: 2010 Optimists All Star VB

Postby senser » Tue May 18, 2010 6:59 pm

I think the flaw with using the point system voting, is great teams like Red River get multiple kids that are good enough to be among the best in the state, but they steal votes from each other, so they get surpassed by some of the athletes that are the only legitimate candidate for their team.

Jenna Green was really the only great Senior on WF because they were rather young, so almost every coach is obviously going to vote for her. RR had 4-5 girls that were really good, and their best IMO happened to be Ashe/Evers. Steffan/Stoley/Bateman were all very good too, but most likely they were stealing votes from each other, as most coaches aren't going to vote 5 kids from the same team. So their vote totals would have been lower. It's too bad because athletes that are on teams with miltiple great athletes have to contend with each other for recognition.
senser
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 87
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:31 pm
Location: Grand Forks

Re: 2010 Optimists All Star VB

Postby yosports » Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:04 am

Just a couple of suggestions and facts:

Facts:
Evers was asked to be on the VB all star team and denied it after being asked for BB all star.
Evers and Asche were both all state.
Steffan was all state last year, was all conference both this year AND last year.
Stoley was all conference and all tournament this year.
Bateman was all tournament and she was not asked to play in the All Star game.

Suggestion for next year: look at the senior's whole career rather than just their senior year. A player who is all confernce one year is asked to be in the All Star game while a player who was all conference 2 years and all state 1 year is an alternate? REALLY????? Maybe rethink that.
yosports
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 81
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:10 am

Re: 2010 Optimists All Star VB

Postby scoobyx2 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:28 am

This is a charity event that is setup to showcase some of the best volleyball players in the state. The key to its success (i.e. raise money for a charity that helps communities) is to promote the event so that a good number of people attend and pay admission. They have to make sure that players from various schools are represented, or attendance will not be very good. When the initial list is compiled, the organizers assume that the athletes will accept...if not, then they go down the list to fill the roster. The top players from the state champion Red River team were invited, and they declined, but is still appropriately represented by their coach, and alternates. If you want to watch the most competitive games, then make sure you don't miss the state tournament next year. The All-Star game is an exhibition game.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame
 
Posts: 1208
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:19 pm

Re: 2010 Optimists All Star VB

Postby yosports » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:24 pm

Scoobyx2, I agree with and understand what you are saying but only ONE top PLAYER (not players) from RR was asked and declined and that was Evers. Stoley and Steffan are alternates.

I do agree that it would be weird to have a lot of girls from the same team. However, I am pretty sure that West Fargo had 3 players on the All Star team last year. (And WF got 3rd at State). They had a very good team last year and those girls were very deserving in my opinion but your whole idea about players from various schools is contradicted by that example.
Also, I am sure that those who select athletes understand that many of your top athletes in VB also excel in BB. That is very common from what I have seen. If they don't know that yet someone should tell them!
yosports
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 81
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:10 am

Re: 2010 Optimists All Star VB

Postby scoobyx2 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:08 pm

I can't don't completely recall last year's roster, but I thought at least 1 WF player started off as an alternate. Also, are both Evers and Asche participating in the Lion's All-Star bb game?
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame
 
Posts: 1208
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:19 pm

Re: 2010 Optimists All Star VB

Postby yosports » Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:22 pm

Asche is a junior.
yosports
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 81
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:10 am

Re: 2010 Optimists All Star VB

Postby scoobyx2 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:15 pm

yosports wrote:Asche is a junior.

Sorry...I guess I knew that. But picking the teams for vb must be pretty difficult since it's Class A and Class B combined. If they select the top player from the State Champion team, and she declines, I don't know if they should feel obligated to find another player from that particular team. They probably just go down the list they have. But I do respect your frustration. Also, it must be strange for the Red River coach by not having any GFRR players on the roster.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame
 
Posts: 1208
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:19 pm

Re: 2010 Optimists All Star VB

Postby senser » Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:27 pm

Picking the teams are pretty easy actually.

The coaches and the NDHSAA have placed an emphasis on the Optimist All Star game being a reward for the players that had a great season the year before. It's not career based accomplishment at all, nor should it be. The game isn't a reflection of individual players career accomplishments, it's a reflection and spin off of the previous high school season.

The coaches vote on the All State team, and the All conference/regional teams. Thus, those players (based on a point system) that hold the highest honor (All State), get an invite to the optimist game. If everybody that gets an invite accepts it, players that have lower point total on the All State team will be left out. You simply cannot have 1 players on a volleyball team and give everyone adaquate playing time. It's just the way it is.

It's unfortunate that a great player like Steffan didn't make the All State team her senior year, especially considering the great career she had, but the Red River coach is fully aware of the selection process and how it works. Th Red River coach is also a member (the head chair I believe) of the ND coaches committe, which has voted on this selection process and is the reason why it is where it is. It's a very black and white issue of voting, and there really aren't any controversial selections, as the process has been the same for years, and the coaches are fully aware of the process of Optimists selections.

The selection process is an unbiased (as it can get) process, which gets rid of the argument of "why was my senior left out of the all star game" that coaches could probably throw out there every year if only a couple people voted on the teams. It gives the game an equal oppurtunity for seniors in their senior year.

I have known coaches that have coached in the Optimist game in the past, and it means much more to the fans then it does to the coaches and players. I do know last year they had a very hard time finding a coach to coach the East, because everyone had other things going on. I also believe last year the west (or maybe east), only played with 8 or 9 players, because they could not find any more seniors that wished to participate in it. The kids/coaches have other things going on in the summer, and sometimes just do not wish to participate in it.
senser
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 87
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:31 pm
Location: Grand Forks

Re: 2010 Optimists All Star VB

Postby yosports » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:37 am

Senser, you make it sound like is is Coach Olson's fault that Steffan did not make the All Star Team!! Don't ALL the coaches in the East Region vote on All-conference and All State? How can one coach make sure their top players are All State? There is obviously a flaw in the system (All Star slection process). My suggestion is that they consider a player's career rather than just one year. Not stats but their all state, all conference, all region honors. Especially for Class A where there is such balance on teams.
Should Olson not have voted for Asche (a junior) for All Conference so there would have been room for Steffan on the All Star Team?? Or not voted for Evers for all conference since she would more than likely play All Star BB anyway??? You say it is a shame that Steffan did not make it. It is definitely a shame. Learn from this mistake and tweek it a little for next year. I heard that GF people did not support this year's All Star game because of Steffan and Bateman not making it.

And by the way, I know a player on last year's team who said she enjoyed it immensely! It is not just for the fans. The players have a great time getting to meet and play with some of the best from across the state.
yosports
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 81
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:10 am

Re: 2010 Optimists All Star VB

Postby senser » Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:51 am

Why would it be Coach Olson's fault? She's merely like 1/18 of the voting process and I would be almost certain she would have voted for Steffan.

Again, there's no flaw other than individual biased perception. Coach Olson is a leader chair in the North Dakota Coaches Council, which has voted to have the selection process as it is today. They choose (yes, Coach Olson too) to not consider career performance, and honor the players that were selected that season. You may choose to disagree with that and that's ok, but let's not be ridiculous and try exposing it as some kind of flaw.

A coach cannot make sure their kids are All State, because it's a selection process among all the coaches in Class A (or B). Coach Olson did not choose to have certain players on her team voted, and others not. I'm not sure why you're percieving that. The only High school award that coaches have in terms of annointing a player on their team, is they select who from their team will be among the running of Player of the Year, which has nothing to do with the Optimist game.

Steffan or Bateman probably should have made the team. But the fact of the matter is, they were left off because they recieved less votes then the players chosen to be a part of the team. Let's not forget that Steffan and Bateman aren't even the top 2 players in that program. You could argue that Steffan/Bateman deserved the honor of participating in the Optimist game, just like I can argue so does the 6 other Class A players that did participate.
senser
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 87
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:31 pm
Location: Grand Forks

Re: 2010 Optimists All Star VB

Postby scoobyx2 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:54 pm

To be considered for any All-Star team, you should at least be the top player in your own program. Otherwise just be pleasantly surprised if you get selected. GFRR was a very talented and balanced team, and because of it, they (somewhat surprisingly) won the State Championship over Bismarck Century. That should be the best accomplishment for any senior in a team event. Individually, the awards are going to be tough to get if you are not the best player on a top team.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame
 
Posts: 1208
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:19 pm

Re: 2010 Optimists All Star VB

Postby yosports » Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:54 pm

Scooby2x, I totally disagree!! You must be the "top player" on your team to be in the All Star Game?? So a team that is a so-so team and you are the top player (Jenna Green for example from WF) should be selected over Steffan who played on a very balanced State Championship team?? If you compare just those 2 players, it is a tie(officially) and you break the tie by looking at their junior year. . . Steffan All state and All conference and Green --nothing. RR had 4 girls who were all conference (1 junior and 3 seniors) and no one playing in the Optimists game. But Shanley has 2 players playing in the All Star game?? So now you are taking the top two players from that team?? And North had 2 players on the All Star team too! But RR none? And we all know Evers was asked and declined. So an alternate was needed. So they chose who??

And by the way, just WHO is the top player for RR? Top setter? or Top hitter? Best Libero? They had a great team with lots of girls who could put the ball down, like Ronkowski and Strand plus the ones already mentioned. Maybe their "top player" is Asche who is headed to UND in 2011. There are a lot of holes in your thinking if you watched any VB this year. And RR was a "surprise" to win it all? You must be from the West. Ha, ha. . .
When I watch an All Star game I want to see the BEST PLAYERS in the state not the "top player" from each team. Don't YOU??? There is a flaw. . . I hope it gets fixed.

Something to think about. . .I wonder if the Fargo girls get extra credit points since the game is played in Fargo. Hmmmm. . . . 6 players from Fargo. Hmmmmm. . .
yosports
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 81
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:10 am

Re: 2010 Optimists All Star VB

Postby scoobyx2 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:16 am

When I want to watch the best players in the state (in any sport) I go to the State tournaments. I think All-Star games are a great opportunity to see top seniors from around the state, but you don't always get to see all of them because they have other summer committments. You don't ususally hear that excuse during the high school season. I support the games because it is for charity. Saying that GFRR beating Century was somewhat of a surprise, is not a slam, if you had the opportunity was Carli Peterson this summer. She was a dominating hitter (MVP in at least 1 of the games), and only 1 of 3 or 4 who had a great All-State season from Century. I would say Evers and Asche are GFRR's top 2 players on a well balanced team who proved that volleyball is a team sport.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame
 
Posts: 1208
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:19 pm

Re: 2010 Optimists All Star VB

Postby yosports » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:14 am

I guess I should have said that the All Star games should showcase the best SENIORS in the state who didn't have another commitment. Steffan didn't have another committment and she was one of the best SENIORS in the state by far! How do you explain that all 6 of the Class A athletes were from Fargo/WF? (What about the top seniors from Wahpeton, Devils Lake, Central, RR?) Steffan should have beat out Laske, Cochran, Green and Carlson based on her (Steffan) junior year All State/All conference status and the fact she was on an awesome, balanced team who won the state championship. She was also All-tournament! I just don't get it unless they were looking at positions and needed a middle or setter instead of an outside. Obviously Laske/Cochran was a setter/libero so it is hard to compare those girls with Steffan.
I just hope next year they have a little better mix of girls and not just all Fargo girls! And hopefully the top Seniors (who don't have another commitment) are playing the game rather than watching from the stands.
yosports
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 81
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:10 am

Re: 2010 Optimists All Star VB

Postby senser » Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:35 pm

yosports wrote:If you compare just those 2 players, it is a tie(officially) and you break the tie by looking at their junior year. . . Steffan All state and All conference and Green --nothing.


There are so many things wrong with your post. With all due respect, you say you want to see "the best" girls perform in an all star game. That's pure biased speculation, and absolutely no legitmate way of defining who "the best" is. Name 1 All Star game, from high school, to college, to professional, that gets "the absolute best of the best" in. Why? because there is no clear cut way of defining who "the best" is.

Not to mention, you going against your own logic of who "the best" is when you mention the comparison of Green and Steffans and then try to validate it with Junior accomplishments. Every coach in the EDC will tell you that Steffan is a very good player, but Green is better. With all due respect, I think you are Steffan's mother.

yosports wrote:So they chose who??
Whomever was next on the voting list, which is a much more established, and credited form of selection.

yosports wrote:When I watch an All Star game I want to see the BEST PLAYERS in the state not the "top player" from each team. Don't YOU??? There is a flaw. . . I hope it gets fixed.


The one glaring problem with this argument, again, is your version of who "the best" is is not consistent with anyone elses, and obviously not consistent with the coaches of the EDC. To think you actually know more about the players/game then the coaches of the EDC is pure ignorance.

Also, you just got done commenting about how there aren't other players from other teams, and it's majority girls from Fargo. So your argument of the best players from each team is completely illigitimate.

yosports wrote:Something to think about. . .I wonder if the Fargo girls get extra credit points since the game is played in Fargo. Hmmmm. . . . 6 players from Fargo. Hmmmmm. . .


You're having a hard time keeping up on the process of team selection for the Optimust game, aren't you?

yosports wrote:I guess I should have said that the All Star games should showcase the best SENIORS in the state who didn't have another commitment. Steffan didn't have another committment and she was one of the best SENIORS in the state by far!


So were the 6 Class A girls who were chosen over her to participate in the game. Don't believe me? Ask the EDC coaches who voted them over Steffan. And no, you don't know more than they do.

Look, people can respect your disagreement with the selection process and who you think the better athletes are, but to sit and argue your point as fact over what even the other EDC coaches voted is utterly ridiculous and disrespectful to Carolyn Olson, and the other athletes, specifically Jenna Green, who is in fact a better volleyball player than Steffan.
senser
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 87
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:31 pm
Location: Grand Forks

Re: 2010 Optimists All Star VB

Postby yosports » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:29 pm

You know what Senser? I think Steffan is better, you think Green is better. I was just justifying why by looking at more than just one year. The EDC coaches must have thought that same thing their junior year as well!! But you know everything so we will just go with that.

My comment about extra credit points if you are from Fargo --total sarcasm. Wow, did you really think I was serious? I now know how they are selected thanks to all of your knowledge.

No, I am not Steffan's mother!! I do have a lot of knowledge about the game since I have played, coached, reffed and watched a lot of Class A volleyball (and some Class B volleyball) over the years. Who are you to say Green is better or Steffan is better just like me? It is an opinion (which I am entitled to) and I was just backing up my opinon with facts from the year before. But you are smarter than me so we will just go with that. Green is better. By the way, where is she playing college ball?
yosports
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 81
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:10 am

Next

Return to Volleyball

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests