Outstanding Seniors

Outstanding Seniors

Postby East-side » Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:51 pm

Who were the outstanding seniors from each region??
East-side
NDPreps Reserve

Re: Outstanding Seniors

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:41 pm

Region 1: Kali Olson from Lisbon
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby rkmt » Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:33 pm

Region 1 Kali Olson, LIsbon
Region 2 Katelyn Paulson, Hatton-Northwood
Region 3 Eli Benz, Kidder County
Region 4
Region 5 Jenny Erhardt, Center-Stanton
Region 6 Courtenay Jacobson, Our Redeemers
Region 7 Allison Opp, Hazen
Region 8 Samantha Heier, Ray

didn't get reg. 4 - can someone fill it in?
rkmt
NDPreps Starter

Postby Nodak Guy » Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:18 pm

rkmt wrote:Region 1 Kali Olson, LIsbon
Region 4

Since we are talking about Region players of the year, does anyone know who the respective coaches of the year were in each region? Also, who is the front runner for Senior Athlete of the Year, as well as Coach of the Year in the state? There seem to be very good candidates, and I'll go with Opp from Hazen.
Nodak Guy
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:20 am

Nodak Guy wrote:
rkmt wrote:Region 1 Kali Olson, LIsbon
Region 4

Since we are talking about Region players of the year, does anyone know who the respective coaches of the year were in each region? Also, who is the front runner for Senior Athlete of the Year, as well as Coach of the Year in the state? There seem to be very good candidates, and I'll go with Opp from Hazen.

The two best candidates are Opp and Benz!

Region 1 COY was Central Cass's coach
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby dakota » Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:56 am

Region 4 Senior was Heather Carlson from Rolla-Rock Lake. The Coach of the Year from Region 4 was Brenda Lang from Harvey
dakota
NDPreps Reserve

Postby captain_caveman » Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:06 pm

Region 2 COY was the Park River coach. The other thread mentioned the Hatton Northwood 6ft player that goes to the bench, who I think was Paulson, who was voted senior player of the year. Just to throw out a topic for discussion....is a player who only plays front row deserving of senior player? Park River has a tremendous player in Erickson who hits hard and is a great server as well, but plays the full rotation. I don't remember if she was a senior tho. Griggs had a very good senior setter. Setters may not get the respect they deserve sometimes because they often get overshadowed by the hitters. Any thoughts?
captain_caveman
NDPreps Reserve

Postby NDFAN100 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:42 am

Majority of the time it's the Hitters that get all the year end awards in North Dakota. I think all the Regions are hitters, except Heather Carlson from Rolla-Rock Lake is a setter. Isn't it funny all the Outstanding Seniors are sitting at home this weekend, except Allison from Hazen. I guess it takes more than one good hitter to make it to State.
NDFAN100
NDPreps Starter

Postby GirlsClassBfan » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:00 am

NDFAN100 wrote:Majority of the time it's the Hitters that get all the year end awards in North Dakota. I think all the Regions are hitters, except Heather Carlson from Rolla-Rock Lake is a setter. Isn't it funny all the Outstanding Seniors are sitting at home this weekend, except Allison from Hazen. I guess it takes more than one good hitter to make it to State.

More often than not, the best athlete is not a member of the best team. Not sure what you were trying to say, but Opp should consider herself lucky that she is surrounded by a great team and is able to participate in the state volleyball tournament.
GirlsClassBfan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby jimmie44 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:28 am

Kasara Rudolph is the Sr. Athlete from the WDA.....she is Bismarck High's Setter.
jimmie44
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Baller » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:53 am

Angie Waller of North from the EDC.
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby T reporter » Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:01 am

How does this work for Region Senior Athlete of the year? In region 5 there are 7 teams in district 9 and 6 teams in district 10. For the last lot of years there has been two pretty good girls in both districts. The one from disrtrict 9 wins every time. Just wondering maybe I don't see something.
T reporter
NDPreps Starter

Postby Baller » Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:02 am

The coaches vote.
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Sportsrube » Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:44 am

The Coach of the Year for Region 3 was Jamie RIchter from Linton. Well deserved!
I have not seen a lot of Class B VB this fall (except for BEK - but that is another topic!) but I would put Eli Benz from Kidder County up there with any other Class B hitter in the state.
I also agree with the lack of love for the setters. Hitters get their name in the paper because they create the "wow" moment, but it takes a very good setter to get to state and for hitters to rack up big numbers.
It also takes some good passers to get the ball to the setter.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby East-side » Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:52 pm

captain_caveman wrote:Region 2 COY was the Park River coach. The other thread mentioned the Hatton Northwood 6ft player that goes to the bench, who I think was Paulson, who was voted senior player of the year. Just to throw out a topic for discussion....is a player who only plays front row deserving of senior player? Park River has a tremendous player in Erickson who hits hard and is a great server as well, but plays the full rotation. I don't remember if she was a senior tho. Griggs had a very good senior setter. Setters may not get the respect they deserve sometimes because they often get overshadowed by the hitters. Any thoughts?

Paulson was playing all the way through the rotation until an ankle injury at the end of the season. Their coach wanted to keep her focused on the front row, so she wouldn't re-injure it.
East-side
NDPreps Reserve

Postby dakota » Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:55 pm

Just out of curiosity, is there any information in any of the papers that list all 8 Outstanding Seniors with their senior year and career stats? Would be interesting to compare them since I am not familiar with all of them, as I am sure most people aren't.
dakota
NDPreps Reserve

Postby vballfan06 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:28 pm

depends on the offense the team runs. If a team runs a quicker tempo offense and the setter does a nice job of setting up the hitters against a single blocker---then yes, they don't get enough credit. however, i haven't seen a whole lot of setters this year with that sort of ability or great decision making ability.
A high middle set, and a high outside set is not a tough job. We saw alot of that this fall--and if anthing was quicker, it was a quick to the middle right in front of the setter (another relatively easy set to make).
vballfan06
NDPreps Starter

Postby Challenger » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:44 pm

It will be fun to see Devils Lake and Bismarck's setter go up against each other this weekend. Even thought she didn't get on the All EDC team, I watched her play and she was tough. I couldn't believe she didn't make the team. I would like to know her assists for the season. She had over 100 assists alone at the tournament. She plays smart and mixes up her sets to get everyone involved.
Challenger

Postby Sportsrube » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:16 am

vballfan06 wrote:depends on the offense the team runs. If a team runs a quicker tempo offense and the setter does a nice job of setting up the hitters against a single blocker---then yes, they don't get enough credit. however, i haven't seen a whole lot of setters this year with that sort of ability or great decision making ability.
A high middle set, and a high outside set is not a tough job. We saw alot of that this fall--and if anthing was quicker, it was a quick to the middle right in front of the setter (another relatively easy set to make).

I agree, I think that too often the smaller schools take their best athletes and put them at the hitting spots and find a setter from whoever is left over. That causes them to simplify their offense because the setter can only make a couple of sets consistently.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Baller » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:20 am

Challenger wrote:It will be fun to see Devils Lake and Bismarck's setter go up against each other this weekend. Even thought she didn't get on the All EDC team, I watched her play and she was tough. I couldn't believe she didn't make the team. I would like to know her assists for the season. She had over 100 assists alone at the tournament. She plays smart and mixes up her sets to get everyone involved.

There is really no contest. BHS runs a quick offense where DL is a very slow offense. All middle sets by DL are high sets or to Rygg in the back row. Dl also sometimes has issues getting the ball to the setter so he has to run it down all the time. Rudolph is the real deal and very good.
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby goldeneagle12 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:13 pm

The stats for Sam Heier Region 8 going into the region tourney, as quoted in The Tioga Tribune. 1,143 kills, 1,797 digs, and 962 assists. All district in 2007,2008,2009. Northwest conference All-tournament team in 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009. In Region 8, they do not have a all region team. Great all aound player.
goldeneagle12
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Schmidty22 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:33 am

Century is full of fantastic seniors....Neameyer, Loraas, Baumiller, and Svihovec they are loaded up with senior talent
"I go out there and get my eyes gouged, my nose busted, my body slammed. I love the pain of the game."
Schmidty22
NDPreps Starter

Postby 1205 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:31 pm

Schmidty22 wrote:Century is full of fantastic seniors....Neameyer, Loraas, Baumiller, and Svihovec they are loaded up with senior talent

Combine those 4 with Jacobs and you have a team with 3 losses.
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Schmidty22 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:41 pm

You have gotta admit though they are a solid squad.
"I go out there and get my eyes gouged, my nose busted, my body slammed. I love the pain of the game."
Schmidty22
NDPreps Starter

Postby 3Putt » Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:22 pm

Schmidty22 wrote:You have gotta admit though they are a solid squad.

Schmidty, you are consistent if nothing else.
3Putt
NDPreps Starter

Next

Return to Volleyball