2018 STATE TOURNAMENT

Re: 2018 STATE TOURNAMENT

Postby heimer » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:26 pm

Did Langdon sleep on Oakes a bit?

Thats a shocking result.

Also, word is there are rumblings of super regionals, top two go. Apparently to balance things to account for weak regions.

Weird day
God is bigger than football.
heimer
NDPreps All-State

Postby birthday » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:36 pm

They played twice during the year and they were both close so I doubt it
birthday
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flip » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:56 pm

heimer wrote:Did Langdon sleep on Oakes a bit?

Thats a shocking result.

Also, word is there are rumblings of super regionals, top two go. Apparently to balance things to account for weak regions.

Weird day

rumblings by who?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby heimer » Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:27 am

I was told by an NDHSAA official that it was discussed.

What does that mean? Not sure. Coaches?

It didn't sound like it was two guys in the stands.
heimer
NDPreps All-State

Postby sportsphenom » Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:28 am

Class B VB needs to change, there is so much non competition making the state tournament, I would love to see it more competitive.
sportsphenom
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby sportsfan111 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:51 am

sportsphenom wrote:Class B VB needs to change, there is so much non competition making the state tournament, I would love to see it more competitive.

I don't really see how there is anything the NDHSAA can do about it. IMO Carrington and Oak Grove are the best two teams not playing in the tournament this weekend. Both in regions 1 and 3. If they did super regions and sent the top two, there would still be good teams left out because regions 1, 2, 3, and 4 have the best teams in the state. The semi's were competitive and tonight will be competitive- if you need more competition go watch the region 3 tournament next season.
sportsfan111
NDPreps Starter

Postby airmail » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:43 am

Observations from the volleyball tournament:

As far as the venue goes, Minot does what Minot does. No real changes from years past for better or worse. The arena provided a good atmosphere, generally marginal concessions, etc., but the short thin curtain separating the two courts totally not cool. Come up with something better! Honestly - it's just so bad!

The Class A games provided some great competition, while the Class B games were at times pretty dismal - especially in the first round. The later rounds proved more interesting with a few upsets along the way.

Class A - Century was a juggernaut that wasn't going to be denied, although it was fun to see Mandan push them so hard. It was a good match to watch. I spent most of my time watching the Class B, so....

Class B - I think Northern Cass might have been a little outmatched by the other top teams. They played well, but couldn't overcome the arsenals of Thompson and Langdon. I think Langdon got suprised by Oakes' tenacity, and maybe let them get into their heads - taking them out of the championship for the second year in a row. Oakes simply worked harder than any other team, and was without a doubt the hottest team in the tournament. They definitely showed improvement from when I saw them earlier in the year - much more aggressive offensively and had outstanding defensive play. Thompson seemed to play really inconsistently throughout the weekend, but had loads of talent to bail themselves out of their jams. The final set of the final game was awesome. A 15-13 come from behind win in set 5 is what it's all about.
Congratulations to both teams on a great tournament.

BEK TV - Their coverage of the tournament was top notch, and their streaming was a great option for those that couldn't make it. I hope to see more options like this down the road.
airmail
NDPreps Starter

Postby heimer » Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:13 pm

Observations:

1) Wouldn't expect much turnover in the teams that were there in the B this year to next year. Oakes, Langdon, Our Redeemers return a ton of talent. Thompson graduates some impact, returns setter and leading hitter in final.

Region I could be up for grabs, but Northern Cass has returners that could didn't play a lot but have a high ceiling.

2) Class A teams: Fargo Davies, Fargo Shanley, West Fargo, West Fargo Sheyenne from the east. Bismarck, Bismarck Century, Mandan, Jamestown. Anyone see what I see?

That's right, Jamestown proves that the current two-class system works. Pay no attention to the entire rest of the field coming from two metro areas. Nothing to see here.

3) For the first time in state history, 9 teams were in the A field. Century had two of them. One was 6'4", the other wasn't.

4) B final: ridiculously good. 15-13 5th, best you can ask for. Need more people there to actually see it. 10s of thousands will flock to a B boys basketball final that they know, in some years, will not be competitive (super team from Linton in Minot a while back, with the Bottineau kids). Either fans don't realize that volleyball has improved, or it hasn't improved because of system (two vs three classes), or we still have a gender bias in this state.

Or, state tournaments are too expensive.

5) Speaking of gender, maybe I'm the only one that noticed, but the officiating crew for the A final was all women, and the B crew was all men, including the line judges. Don't know if that means anything, but it was a strange optic.

6) I can live with the Dome, but some additional food options and the ability to use a debit card would be nice. It's not 1987.
heimer
NDPreps All-State

Postby The Schwab » Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:22 pm

Heimer I will agree with you that the B final was very, very good. Was the rest of the tournament? I watched a few games on the BEK stream (more than I've ever watched before, thanks to BEK). I do have to disagree with you that volleyball statewide is getting better (it probably is on the eastern side, but on the west I don't think it is).
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby heimer » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:16 pm

So, it was an all-west final in the A, and the WDA has had great volleyball for a while.

If you confine yourself to the B world, you would make that conclusion. Overall, volleyball has improved dramatically over the past 10 years.

If there's a problem with the B teams in the west, perhaps some conversations should be happening with ADs and Supts on how to change this.
heimer
NDPreps All-State

Postby airmail » Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:53 am

heimer wrote:Also, word is there are rumblings of super regionals, top two go. Apparently to balance things to account for weak regions.

Just so I understand this scenario - there would basically be a preliminary round of 16 teams (top 2 from each region) and the victors would advance to an 8 team state tournament?
airmail
NDPreps Starter

Postby jimor » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:24 am

The preparation starts in grade school. Go watch 7th graders play and you'll know right away which varsity teams are successful.
jimor
NDPreps Starter

Postby The Schwab » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:09 pm

heimer wrote:So, it was an all-west final in the A, and the WDA has had great volleyball for a while.

If you confine yourself to the B world, you would make that conclusion. Overall, volleyball has improved dramatically over the past 10 years.

If there's a problem with the B teams in the west, perhaps some conversations should be happening with ADs and Supts on how to change this.

This may be arguing for the sake of arguing, but Bismarck-Mandan isn't very far west IMO, it's more in the center of the state. If you look at the teams that would be considered from the west in Class A (Dickinson, Williston, Watford City) they all finished at the bottom of the WDA. I'll be the first one to admit that I don't watch a lot of volleyball, but the games I have watched, I don't know how much better it is. I will take your word that it is improving on the east (volleyball has always seemed to be stronger over there).

I'm well aware of why teams in the west are at a disadvantage as compared to the teams on the east: scheduling is a huge problem, if you are located west of lets say Glen-Ullin it's not easy to schedule out of region games. Do you think a team from east of Bismarck wants to travel to Bowman to play a non-region volleyball, basketball or football game? No. There just aren't a lot of schools in western ND, look at the 9-man region alignments, crazy travel for regional games.

I'm not sure what you are getting at by talking to Supt/Ad's about how to improve volleyball.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby sportsnut5 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:37 pm

There are a lot more summer volleyball leagues in the eastern part of the state. Travel is a huge reason for this. When you get to the western half of the state, unless you are around Bismarck and Minot, there are no metros that would hold leagues for teams to participate in during the off season. In the west, volleyball is primarily played during the regular season. Like all athletics, to be successful in today's high school sports, there must be time spent in the off season working on sport specific skills.
sportsnut5
NDPreps Starter

Postby Sportsrube » Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:39 pm

As a retired VB coach I have to agree with Heimer - VB in ND has improved tremendously over the last 15 years for a number of reasons. I think two of the biggest reasons are better coaching and summer programs. The east has traditionally been stronger than the west and again I think it goes back to better coaching and summer programs. As for getting more people to watch it, I think that probably won't happen until we get into 2nd and 3rd generation players. Too few people understand enough about the finer points of the game or know enough about it. Hopefully that changes and more people start realizing how good VB has gotten in ND.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Previous

Return to Volleyball