Regional Rundown as Tourney time approaches

Regional Rundown as Tourney time approaches

Postby HighSchoolSportsFan » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:16 pm

Here are my thoughts as we are a couple of weeks away from district tournaments (for those that still play them) and about 3 1/2 weeks to regionals.

Region 1 (super region format)
Probably the toughest region to call with maybe up to 6 teams capable of winning the region. Central Cass, Lisbon, and Northern Cass all only have 1 region loss to date. Lisbon has a loss to Northern Cass and Northern Cass has lost to Central Cass. Richland handed Central Cass their only region loss. Throw in Oak Grove and Enderlin and you have a pretty entertaining regional tournament on tap. No clear-cut favorite in this region and it should be arguably the most competitive region from top to bottom.

Region 2 (super region format)
Thompson is probably the favorite here. Of their 6 losses, 5 have come to the likes of Lamoure, Langdon (2), Our Redeemer and Dickinson Trinity. All top tier teams in the state. They also own two wins over PRFL so far this season. PRFL and Drayton-Valley-Edinburg would be most likely to challenge, although MPCG does have a win over PRFL earlier this year as well. PRFL does have a couple of quality wins beating Carrington on two different occasions.

Region 3 (district format)
Lamoure is the obvious favorite here but this is arguably the best region in the state. Dist. 5 includes Lamoure, Carrington, and Oakes. Throw in Medina from Dist. 6 and those are 4 pretty solid teams. Lamoure has yet to lose but Medina played them down to the wire in the championship in Des Lacs before falling 30-28, 25-23. They meet again in Lamoure for the last game of the regular season.

Region 4 (super region format)
Langdon-Edmore-Munich. Don't need to say much else here. Would consider it a major upset if they don't cruise.

Region 5 (super region format)
Shaping up to be a 2-team race in this region with Shiloh Christian and Center-Stanton. They have met 3 times this year with Center-Stanton holding a 2-1 edge so far but all three matches have been competitive with neither team sweeping the other in any of the 3 matches.

Region 6 (district format)
Our Redeemer out of dist. 12 looks to maybe be the front runner here once again. DLB will be their toughest competition in the district. Rugby has put together a nice season in Dist. 11 but maybe haven't played quite as tough of schedule as some of the other top teams. If anyone is going to dethrone Our Redeemer it would likely be one of those two teams.

Region 7 (super region format)
It looks as though Dickinson Trinity has established themselves as the team to beat in this region. They have played a challenging schedule and do have some nice wins (Our Redeemer, Mandan, Oakes, Oak Grove, Thompson, PRFL). Would look at New England and possibly Hazen to challenge but DT does have wins over both earlier this year. They do have another matchup with Our Redeemer so that will be interesting.

Region 8 (district format)
Don't really know much about either of these districts. I have seen both Watford City and Kenmare play and both teams are pretty solid. They are both currently leading their respective districts and would likely be considered the favorites to meet in the regional championship. Watford did beat Kenmare in an earlier meeting in the Des Lacs tournament.

Someone mentioned in another thread that VB is typically the easiest sport to predict. I would say this year is no exception to that with the favorites going into the year pretty much holding serve so to speak. Just like in other years there are going to be some good teams not make it to state that would have a pretty good chance of winning other regions.........North Star and Carrington come to mind from recent years. Not sure what can be done about that under the current format but it is unfortunate.
HighSchoolSportsFan
NDPreps Starter

Re: Regional Rundown as Tourney time approaches

Postby imjustafan » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:11 am

Region 1:

Based on Run's standings thread, Richland also only has one loss, which was to Oak Grove. Wyndmere/Lidgerwood at 7-4 may also be a factor.

I was surprised that Central Cass beat Northern Cass on Tuesday. Then my sources told me that three Jaguar seniors are getting 6 weeks off for violations. No further details asked for nor given. Not good.
imjustafan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:21 am

imjustafan wrote:Region 1:

Based on Run's standings thread, Richland also only has one loss, which was to Oak Grove. Wyndmere/Lidgerwood at 5-4 may also be a factor. [EDITTED: Record was wrong...corrected now on Standings page]

I was surprised that Central Cass beat Northern Cass on Tuesday. Then my sources told me that three Jaguar seniors are getting 6 weeks off for violations. No further details asked for nor given. Not good.

Several key matches left in Region 1!
Oct 12: Northern Cass @ Richland
Oct 12: Enderlin @ Oak Grove
Oct 12: Lisbon @ Wyndmere-Lidgerwood
Oct 24: Lisbon @ Central Cass
Oct 24: Northern Cass @ Kindred
Oct 30: Central Cass @ Wyndmere-Lidgerwood
Oct 30: Richland @ Lisbon

Also Edit above...
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby airmail » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:24 pm

Nice write-up!
I agree with it all - although I'm hoping Medina finally gets over the hump with LaMoure. Like lots of teams/ coaches have said, "LaMoure is beatable", but nobody has solved them yet. We'll see!

I also agree the Region 1 tournament will be really fun to watch - an old fashioned dogfight for a trip to Minot with the parity of those teams. Too bad about the NC 6 week vacations, but that's the risk you take.
airmail
NDPreps Starter

Postby The Schwab » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:39 pm

Agree with you from Region 7 that Trinity is the favorite, but I wouldn't sleep on Hettinger-Scranton. They have region wins over both Hazen and New England, but also have some bad loses.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby sportsphenom » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:23 pm

My predictions

Region 1- Central Cass- they're the only other team besides MPB to give LaMoure a match

Region 2- Thompson, they have really improved over the season

Region 3- LaMoure- MPB will give them all they have but in the end LaMoure will wear down MPBs big girls, LaMoure doesn't get rattled and their defense is always scrappy

Region 4- Langdon, no one will even contest

Region 5- A toss up between Center-Stanton and Shiloh

Region 6- Our Redeemers- even though they are not as good as the past few years they have experience and a great coach.

Region 7- Dickinson Trinity

Region 8- not at all familiar with this region

State- Region 3 will win again, by far the toughest region in the state this year.
sportsphenom
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby HighSchoolSportsFan » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:30 pm

I got to thinking about your last comment. That would basically imply that Region 3 has the top 2 or 3 (or even 4) teams in the state. So, I attempted to put together a top 10 ranking (I know there is the QRF ranking at northdakota-scores.net but I wanted to see how mine compared). Here goes

1 - Lamoure - Pretty Obvious and favorite to when state.
2 - Langdon/Edmore/Munich - Only losses are to Lamoure and have beaten both Medina and Carrington
3 - Medina - Only losses are to Lamoure and Langdon
4 - Carrington - 2 losses to Park River are puzzling but have beaten everyone else except the 3 above them
5 - Dickinson Trinity - Only Class B losses to Langdon, Medina, Carrington and Shiloh
6 - Our Redeemer - Class B losses to Trinity, Lamoure, Carrington, and Central Cass
7 - Thompson - A loss to Hazen probably keeps them from being ranked higher
8 - Central Cass - A loss to Richland probably keeps them from being ranked higher
9 - Shiloh Christian - Only 4 losses but not quite the schedule as the teams above them
T-10 - Park River FL - 2 wins over Carrington gets them in the top 10
T-10 - Center Stanton - 2 wins over Shiloh gets them in the top 10
Receiving votes - Rugby - only 3 losses but maybe a little weaker schedule than those above
HighSchoolSportsFan
NDPreps Starter

Postby sportsfan111 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:26 pm

I 100% agree with the prediction of Region 3 winning state again this year. IMO MPB and Carrington both would’ve won it last year. Great volleyball region.

That being said, I’m taking the field over Lamoure this year. MPB has the better hitters, Lamoure has the better defense. Carrington is starting to look pretty darn good as well. Going to be a very good second and third night of regional volleyball in Region 3! District 5 championship will be an important game.
sportsfan111
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flip » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:27 pm

When was the last time a team was as dominant as Lamoure has been in the regular season? I mean they have lost 2 SETS the entire season.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby BBfan4life » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:50 am

HighSchoolSportsFan wrote:I got to thinking about your last comment. That would basically imply that Region 3 has the top 2 or 3 (or even 4) teams in the state. So, I attempted to put together a top 10 ranking (I know there is the QRF ranking at northdakota-scores.net but I wanted to see how mine compared). Here goes

1 - Lamoure - Pretty Obvious and favorite to when state.
2 - Langdon/Edmore/Munich - Only losses are to Lamoure and have beaten both Medina and Carrington
3 - Medina - Only losses are to Lamoure and Langdon
4 - Carrington - 2 losses to Park River are puzzling but have beaten everyone else except the 3 above them
5 - Dickinson Trinity - Only Class B losses to Langdon, Medina, Carrington and Shiloh
6 - Our Redeemer - Class B losses to Trinity, Lamoure, Carrington, and Central Cass
7 - Thompson - A loss to Hazen probably keeps them from being ranked higher
8 - Central Cass - A loss to Richland probably keeps them from being ranked higher
9 - Shiloh Christian - Only 4 losses but not quite the schedule as the teams above them
T-10 - Park River FL - 2 wins over Carrington gets them in the top 10
T-10 - Center Stanton - 2 wins over Shiloh gets them in the top 10
Receiving votes - Rugby - only 3 losses but maybe a little weaker schedule than those above

I would consider this pretty spot on and one thing that they all have in common is great passing and defense.
BBfan4life
NDPreps Reserve

Postby sportsfan111 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:29 pm

MPB beats the last undefeated team for the second year in a row!
sportsfan111
NDPreps Starter

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:19 pm

sportsfan111 wrote:MPB beats the last undefeated team for the second year in a row!

Medina/Pingree-Buchanan defeats Carrington 3-0 on Monday and LaMoure-LM 3-2 on Tuesday...both on the road. Region 3 looks to be a fun one again this year!
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby sportsphenom » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:38 pm

The sad thing is the 2 best teams in the state are in Region 3- hands down. Someone again has to stay home like last year. Going to be a great Region 3 tournament with whomever winning that is the clear favorite for winning the state tournament.
sportsphenom
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby sportsfan111 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:53 pm

sportsphenom wrote:The sad thing is the 2 best teams in the state are in Region 3- hands down. Someone again has to stay home like last year. Going to be a great Region 3 tournament with whomever winning that is the clear favorite for winning the state tournament.

I believe the teams that place second, third, and fourth in Region 3 this year could win some of the other regions. Stinks for the teams competing, but it makes watching regional volleyball pretty darn exciting for us fans. Last years region 3 championship was probably the most exciting volleyball game I have seen, and I am sure this years will be no different. I expect to see some fun semi finals as well!
sportsfan111
NDPreps Starter

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:24 pm

Region 1 looks to have an exciting finish to their seasons...several teams vying for the 3 1st Round byes (Central Cass has all but locked up #1 seed). Some key matches still to be played (Oak Grove @ Northern Cass on Thursday) and a few were played on Tuesday (Central Cass def. Lisbon 3-2). Should be a fun week left in Region 1.

Agreed Region 3 has 3 quality teams...should be a fun Districts & Regionals
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Re: 2017 Regular Season Schedule

Postby vikingman » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:36 pm

Is the MPB vs Carrington game going to be replayed on BEK anytime? Too bad they didn't do the Lamoure game.
Last edited by vikingman on Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vikingman
NDPreps All-State

Re: 2017 Regular Season Schedule

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:55 pm

vikingman wrote:Is the MPB vs Carrington game going to be replayed on BEK anytime? Too bad they didn't do the Lamoure game.

https://www.bektel.com/bbn

Looks like October 29th 3:00PM CT (West) & 4:30 PM CT (East)
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby HighSchoolSportsFan » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:01 am

sportsphenom wrote:The sad thing is the 2 best teams in the state are in Region 3- hands down. Someone again has to stay home like last year. Going to be a great Region 3 tournament with whomever winning that is the clear favorite for winning the state tournament.

I would agree that both Medina and Lamoure are two of the top teams in the state. At this point, I am not sure who would be favored if/when they meet again. Medina has been on a run and had a great last week of the regular season with wins over Oakes, Carrington and Lamoure, all on the road. Talk about a character building schedule!! They definitely have the momentum heading into the tournament season.

I think the people in Langdon would argue with the statement that "the 2 best teams in the state are in Region 3- hands down." I would agree that Region 3 probably has 2 of the top 3 teams in the state and maybe even 3 of the top 4 or 5 teams in the state. Those three teams (Medina, Lamoure and Langdon) have only lost to each other and have beaten most of the other top teams in the state. They would be the 3 favorites IMO but all have business to take care of first.
HighSchoolSportsFan
NDPreps Starter

Postby sportsfan111 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:50 pm

HighSchoolSportsFan wrote:

I would agree that both Medina and Lamoure are two of the top teams in the state. At this point, I am not sure who would be favored if/when they meet again. Medina has been on a run and had a great last week of the regular season with wins over Oakes, Carrington and Lamoure, all on the road. Talk about a character building schedule!! They definitely have the momentum heading into the tournament season.

I think the people in Langdon would argue with the statement that "the 2 best teams in the state are in Region 3- hands down." I would agree that Region 3 probably has 2 of the top 3 teams in the state and maybe even 3 of the top 4 or 5 teams in the state. Those three teams (Medina, Lamoure and Langdon) have only lost to each other and have beaten most of the other top teams in the state. They would be the 3 favorites IMO but all have business to take care of first.

I would love to see both MPB and Carrington play Langdon. Last time Carrington played Langdon they were starting a different setter- they are a much different team now. They problem Carrington runs into when they play Lamoure and MPB is that their defense is not on the same level.

On a side note, if you consider yourself a fan of volleyball- you’ve got to see Sabinash from MPB play. She can really hit the ball.
sportsfan111
NDPreps Starter

Postby HighSchoolSportsFan » Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:25 pm

I have actually seen Medina play 5-6 matches this year. I agree, Sabinash can hit the ball as well as anyone I have seen play. Not sure why she is not a 6-rotation player as she is really athletic and I would think she would be a pretty decent back row player as well. Plus would add that dimension of back row attacks.
I'm not sure what you mean when you say you would love to see MPB and Carrington play Langdon. If I am not mistaken, Langdon has played them both this year. Looks like the match with Carrington in VC was pretty close with Langdon winning 2-1. MPB and Langdon played in Des Lacs and Langdon won 2-0 (25-13, 25-13).
HighSchoolSportsFan
NDPreps Starter

Postby sportsfan111 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:17 pm

HighSchoolSportsFan wrote:I have actually seen Medina play 5-6 matches this year. I agree, Sabinash can hit the ball as well as anyone I have seen play. Not sure why she is not a 6-rotation player as she is really athletic and I would think she would be a pretty decent back row player as well. Plus would add that dimension of back row attacks.
I'm not sure what you mean when you say you would love to see MPB and Carrington play Langdon. If I am not mistaken, Langdon has played them both this year. Looks like the match with Carrington in VC was pretty close with Langdon winning 2-1. MPB and Langdon played in Des Lacs and Langdon won 2-0 (25-13, 25-13).

What I am saying is I would like to see both Carrington and MPB play Langdon now that all three teams are at the top of their games, and have their rotations figured out. I was not aware of the MPB- Langdon match in Des Lacs. Three set tournament games are a lot different than five set matches.
sportsfan111
NDPreps Starter

Postby Wilbur » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:49 pm

Quote: “Three set tournament games are a lot different than five set matches.”

You better believe it! I don’t know how many district, region and state tournament matches I watched over the years where if there were a three-set match, there would have been a different outcome.

LaMoure trailed MPB, 2-1, in the 2015 region semi-finals, but won, 3-2, and LaMoure trailed Carrington, 2-1, in last year’s final and won, 3-2. LaMoure lost to both of those teams during the regular season in those respective years, but ended up beating them when it mattered most. Region 3 is going to be a barn-burner this year, but someone has to prove to me that they can beat LaMoure in the regional.
Lamar has lost just one region match in the past four seasons, and that was to a heavy underdog (Napoleon/Gackle-Streeter) in the 2014 semi-finals, where I think they were overlooking the match. With that being said, LaMoure has proven me wrong once already (I didn’t think they would lose to a Class B team this season), and even though it is very possible for someone to knock them off in the regionals, no one will be able to sneak up on them this season. They will have to hit them square in the nose if they are to pull off IMO a monster upset.
Wilbur
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Flip » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:29 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:REGION 2
1. Thompson 22-0 (28-6)
May-Port-CG 18-4 (14-16)
Park River-FL 18-4 (23-9)
Hillsboro-Central Valley 16-6 (17-10)
Drayton/Valley-Edinburg 16-6 (25-7-1)

Finley-Sharon-Hope-Page 12-10 (17-11)
Cavalier 12-10 (15-12)
Hatton-Northwood 8-14 (9-16)
Midway-Minto 8-14 (15-15-1)
Griggs County Central 6-16 (10-19)
Grafton 4-18 (7-20)
North Border 4-18 (8-18-1)
13. Larimore 0-22 (3-19)

If HCV beats MPCG on Monday and DVE beats MM how is a 3 way tie broke for seeds 3-5?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:36 pm

Flip wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:REGION 2
1. Thompson 22-0 (28-6)
May-Port-CG 18-4 (14-16)
Park River-FL 18-4 (23-9)
Hillsboro-Central Valley 16-6 (17-10)
Drayton/Valley-Edinburg 16-6 (25-7-1)

Finley-Sharon-Hope-Page 12-10 (17-11)
Cavalier 12-10 (15-12)
Hatton-Northwood 8-14 (9-16)
Midway-Minto 8-14 (15-15-1)
Griggs County Central 6-16 (10-19)
Grafton 4-18 (7-20)
North Border 4-18 (8-18-1)
13. Larimore 0-22 (3-19)

If HCV beats MPCG on Monday and DVE beats MM how is a 3 way tie broke for seeds 3-5?

D/VE has beat both teams so they would get the 3-seed via H2H tiebreaker...then HCV would have H2H tiebreak on MPCG for 4 & 5 seeds
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Flip » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:38 pm

You're right. I thought MPCG beat DVE.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Next

Return to Volleyball