Regional Rundown as Tourney time approaches

Re: Regional Rundown as Tourney time approaches

Postby HighSchoolSportsFan » Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:24 pm

Well all the districts are done and the region play-in game complete with the regional tournaments starting on Monday. Here is my quick take on all the regions.

Region 1 -
Northern Cass is my favorite to win this region but would look for Oak Grove to push them in the championship game. Central Cass is also right in the running in this region but will have to play well to get past OG in the semi. CC does have a tie with Thompson early in the year and has played OG tough in two matches this year. Any one of these three teams would have a shot to be seeded in the state tournament and would be in the mix in a fairly wide open state tournament.

Region 2
Thompson is the head and shoulders favorite in this region. Only one loss on the year (to Langdon) and one tie (to CC). They have also beaten Langdon twice, once in a regular season match and once in the Langdon tournament. There would have been my favorite going into the season and I would still rate them as the favorite. MPCG and PRFL would be the teams that could possibly challenge in this region but there is a big gap between Thompson and the rest of the region IMO.

Region 3
Once again a very competitive region with up to 5 teams that could possibly compete for the region title. I would have said Carrington was the favorite but Oakes may have changed my mind in the district tournament. I will still pick Carrington but Oakes, Napoleon-GS, Linton-HMB and LaMoure will all be competitive in the regional tournament. The Lamoure-Linton HMB game will be a good one in the first round.

Region 4
This region is all Langdon once again. Would be a huge upset if Langdon does't walk. Langdon should also be one of the teams to beat at state. They have 3 losses on the year, twice to Thompson and once to Northern Cass. They have also beaten both Thompson and NC. Could this be their year?

Region 5
This region has come down to Center-Stanton and Shiloh the last few years. This year is no different. C-S has beaten Shiloh twice this year but the regular season match was a 5 setter. Shiloh is currently riding a 15 match win streak.

Region 6
Our Redeemer has dominated this region over the last few years. Rugby once again has a great record (31-2) coming in to the regional tournament but typically doesn't play the strongest schedule. DLB is obviously in contention with a big win over OR in the district 12 tournament setting up a potential OR-Rugby semi in the regional. I think the regional final will be a rematch of the district 12 final in a pick-em.

Region 7
Dickinson Trinity is a pretty solid favorite here IMO. They haven't dropped a set in region play and their only losses on the year have come at the hands of Langdon (2) Central Cass and Billings Central (MT). They should be a seeded team in the state tournament and are one of the teams that could win it all.

Region 8
This region should be a 3 team race between Stanley, Kenmare, and Ray. Stanley is coming off a win in the district 16 tournament, beating both Ray and Kenmare in 5 set matches along the way. One of these three should emerge to make it to state but would not look at them making much noise whomever gets to Minot.
HighSchoolSportsFan
NDPreps Starter

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:57 pm

I'm just going to rank in order of Top 5 for each Region (spacing suggests gaps)

Region 1:
Northern Cass
Oak Grove
Central Cass
Richland

Hankinson

Region 2:
Thompson

Park River-FL
May-Port-CG
Cavalier
Grafton

Region 3:
Oakes
Carrington
Napoleon/Gackle-Streeter
Linton-HMB
LaMoure-LM

Region 4:
Langdon/Edmore/Munich

North Star

New Rockford-Sheyenne
Harvey-WC
Rolla

Region 5:
Center-Stanton
Shiloh Christian

Flasher
Garrison-Max
Underwood

Region 6:
Our Redeemer's
Des Lacs-Burlington
Rugby

Lewis & Clark
Velva

Region 7:
Dickinson Trinity

Hettinger-Scranton

Bowman County
Heart River

Killdeer

Region 8:
Kenmare
Stanley
Ray

Divide County
Trenton
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Flip » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:44 am

HighSchoolSportsFan wrote:Region 2
Thompson is the head and shoulders favorite in this region. Only one loss on the year (to Langdon) and one tie (to CC). They have also beaten Langdon twice, once in a regular season match and once in the Langdon tournament. There would have been my favorite going into the season and I would still rate them as the favorite. MPCG and PRFL would be the teams that could possibly challenge in this region but there is a big gap between Thompson and the rest of the region IMO.

FWIW, Park River took Thompson to 5 sets 3 weeks ago.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:15 am

Flip wrote:
HighSchoolSportsFan wrote:Region 2

FWIW, Park River took Thompson to 5 sets 3 weeks ago.

A slight hiccup...which all the top teams tend to have at least 1 during the regular season. Northern Cass barely beat May-Port-CG in 5 a couple weeks ago too. No discredit to either team mentioned but for teams that have been on 'cruise control' most of the season...those are what you tend to call 'wake up' games.

I don't think Thompson will sweep everyone in R2 (or any of the top teams in each region)...but I do think Thompson will move onto State via experience and coaching.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby HighSchoolSportsFan » Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:52 pm

Forgot about Richland in region 1. They have played both OG and CC to 5 set matches and have a couple of nice wins on thier schedule (Oakes and LaMoure).
HighSchoolSportsFan
NDPreps Starter

Postby sportsfan111 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:34 pm

My region 3 prediction:
1. Carrington
2. Linton-HMB
3. Oakes
4. NGS

Think Carrington has the best team all-around, and the best 1-2 punch in Mehring and Hone. Mehring had a superb game in the district championship, but didn't have much help from anyone else. If they all come to play it will take a huge effort for them to be beat. Think Linton can give Oakes a run in the semis. Maybe the best defensive team in the region with a great coach. I think after Schmitz, Oakes is pretty thin with hitters. Will be a great, competitive tournament!
sportsfan111
NDPreps Starter

Postby sportsfan111 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:31 am

sportsfan111 wrote:My region 3 prediction:
1. Carrington
2. Linton-HMB
3. Oakes
4. NGS

Think Carrington has the best team all-around, and the best 1-2 punch in Mehring and Hone. Mehring had a superb game in the district championship, but didn't have much help from anyone else. If they all come to play it will take a huge effort for them to be beat. Think Linton can give Oakes a run in the semis. Maybe the best defensive team in the region with a great coach. I think after Schmitz, Oakes is pretty thin with hitters. Will be a great, competitive tournament!

I have to stop making predictions. :lol: Wow. NGS played a heck of a game. Outstanding defense!!!! Someone should teach Carrington's coach how to take a timeout. Waited until his team is down 6-0 in the 5th set to take one.. did the same thing against Oakes a week ago. No clue who wins Thursday night.
sportsfan111
NDPreps Starter

Postby NDreg6b » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:50 pm

Region 6 tournament has been a surprise, ORCS is in Championship but Lewis and Clark Berthold upset both Velva and DLB.
NDreg6b
NDPreps Rookie

Previous

Return to Volleyball