2021 Class B Volleyball State Tournament

Re: 2021 Class B Volleyball State Tournament

Postby The Schwab » Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:31 pm

WalkingStick wrote:
The Schwab wrote:I do agree that the seeding at the state tournament confused me a little bit. I could probably make the argument that Kenmare could have been the 3 seed at the tournament and Langdon/Thompson would have played in the 4 vs. 5 matchup anyway. It's very tough for me to make comparisons as I do not watch much volleyball throughout the year. I do 100% agree with you that Dickinson Trinity shouldn't have been seeded and Langdon should have been. I don't think there is much of an argument on the 1 and 2 seeds, but I think that Langdon, Thompson and Kenmare are the next 3 best teams in the tournament (I think you could make arguments for all of them to be the 3 seed.

I think this is another example of why we need something definitive to seed the tournament. Use a QRF formula, have an unbiased committee seed them (I'm not sure what this would be made up of? maybe make it the 3rd place finishers from the regional tournaments?). I do know that the answer is not secret ballots by the coaches in the tournament. I think if you are going to have a committee seed them, it needs to be an open discussion.

I personally would like to go to a power points system to seed all postseason competition like they use in SD to seed all of their tournaments.

I don't mind SD's system but I would want to tinker with it a bit so it's not like taking another state's ranking system...like we have with MN.

But at least with SD's system we would know what the criteria is. We don't with MN
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby WalkingStick » Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:35 pm

The Schwab wrote:
WalkingStick wrote:
The Schwab wrote:I do agree that the seeding at the state tournament confused me a little bit. I could probably make the argument that Kenmare could have been the 3 seed at the tournament and Langdon/Thompson would have played in the 4 vs. 5 matchup anyway. It's very tough for me to make comparisons as I do not watch much volleyball throughout the year. I do 100% agree with you that Dickinson Trinity shouldn't have been seeded and Langdon should have been. I don't think there is much of an argument on the 1 and 2 seeds, but I think that Langdon, Thompson and Kenmare are the next 3 best teams in the tournament (I think you could make arguments for all of them to be the 3 seed.

I think this is another example of why we need something definitive to seed the tournament. Use a QRF formula, have an unbiased committee seed them (I'm not sure what this would be made up of? maybe make it the 3rd place finishers from the regional tournaments?). I do know that the answer is not secret ballots by the coaches in the tournament. I think if you are going to have a committee seed them, it needs to be an open discussion.

I personally would like to go to a power points system to seed all postseason competition like they use in SD to seed all of their tournaments.

I don't mind SD's system but I would want to tinker with it a bit so it's not like taking another state's ranking system...like we have with MN.

But at least with SD's system we would know what the criteria is. We don't with MN

MN's formula really isn't that hard to figure out but I do agree it's secretive nature doesn't help when oddities arise; I'd like a mixture of the two to be used...make something that is 'our' own.
One Stop Shop for All North Dakota Scores
https://www.northdakotaprepscoreboards.com/

"Control what you can control...Can't fix ignorant people"
WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby sportsphenom » Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:35 am

Congrats to the Lady Lions on a great state tournament, that core of Senior girls is something special. Too bad No Cass had to play without 2 starters, I would have loved to see this game if both teams were at full capacity.
sportsphenom
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby leroybla » Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:50 am

sportsphenom wrote:Congrats to the Lady Lions on a great state tournament, that core of Senior girls is something special. Too bad No Cass had to play without 2 starters, I would have loved to see this game if both teams were at full capacity.
Who were the two players and why didn't they play?
leroybla
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby sportsphenom » Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:30 am

I won't name names, but they were both starters. Got caught with something they weren't supposed to have.
sportsphenom
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Sportsrube » Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:50 am

sportsphenom wrote:I won't name names, but they were both starters. Got caught with something they weren't supposed to have.

I have zero sympathy for self inflicted wounds. They couldn't wait until their VB season was over? The only ones I feel sorry for are their teammates who they threw under the bus.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby sportsphenom » Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:55 am

Sportsrube wrote:
sportsphenom wrote:I won't name names, but they were both starters. Got caught with something they weren't supposed to have.

I have zero sympathy for self inflicted wounds. They couldn't wait until their VB season was over? The only ones I feel sorry for are their teammates who they threw under the bus.

Agreed.
sportsphenom
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby muley14 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:42 pm

Who votes on the all tournament team? I'm pretty sure that when they were announced they said it was voted on by class B coaches. Is this always the case or is it a change? I was expecting it to be done by media like BB but maybe it's because BB (I assume) has more media in attendance.

I did love the BEK had it available for viewing. Maybe they've done it in the past but I'm new to the streaming thing.
muley14
NDPreps Starter

Postby sportsphenom » Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:46 pm

muley14 wrote:Who votes on the all tournament team? I'm pretty sure that when they were announced they said it was voted on by class B coaches. Is this always the case or is it a change? I was expecting it to be done by media like BB but maybe it's because BB (I assume) has more media in attendance.

I did love the BEK had it available for viewing. Maybe they've done it in the past but I'm new to the streaming thing.

It used to be the Region runner-up coach from each Region was who voted, not sure if that is still the process.
BEK has done it off and on for a few years now, they did have it on NFHS for a couple but now its back on BEK, which is so much better, they do a great job.
sportsphenom
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby urserious » Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:28 pm

Northern Cass wasn't going to beat Linton that night. Northern Cass was the better team when they played earlier in the season and Linton was the better team that night. Simple as that.
urserious
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Flip » Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:18 pm

sportsphenom wrote:Congrats to the Lady Lions on a great state tournament, that core of Senior girls is something special. Too bad No Cass had to play without 2 starters, I would have loved to see this game if both teams were at full capacity.

Was the state tournament the only matches they missed?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby WalkingStick » Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:39 pm

Flip wrote:

Was the state tournament the only matches they missed?

Just the Title game
One Stop Shop for All North Dakota Scores
https://www.northdakotaprepscoreboards.com/

"Control what you can control...Can't fix ignorant people"
WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby jimor » Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:19 pm

I thought the girls that had to step up and fill in for them did an awesome job. The setter probably tried to do too much and I commend her for her effort. It's a bad deal when the bad decisions of a couple can upset a whole seasons worth of work. IMHO I feel the teams ended up about where they should have been ranked in the 1st place. Happy Thanksgiving!!!
jimor
NDPreps Starter

Postby vikingman » Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:24 pm

It would have taken a lot of guts to be the one who reported that incident. Even though it would be totally the player's fault, I imagine a lot of people blamed the messenger.
vikingman
NDPreps All-State

Postby Sportsrube » Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:17 am

vikingman wrote:It would have taken a lot of guts to be the one who reported that incident. Even though it would be totally the player's fault, I imagine a lot of people blamed the messenger.

Sad, but true.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Previous

Return to Volleyball