Best Coaches

Re: Best Coaches

Postby adriana » Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:13 pm

luvmy3gbb1wr wrote:
adriana wrote:
upnext wrote:Its called jealousy---no one wants to see the same team win it every year---its the same in every sport--BHS wrestling is the same love em or hate em---there's no in between--ITS JEALOUSY



For once i agree with you!...jealousy is the main thing here...same reason so many people wanted to see Napoleon's football team lose the championship this year. I also think all coaches have their moments when something isnt going their way and they get a little PO'd...i guess i dont think it's that big of a deal considering the champions that have come out of his program. His temper or whatever must not be taking a negative toll on the imperials. As for the booing...that's not classy no matter what the reason. That's actually pretty pathetic and insanely unsportsmanlike.


Do you guys know Barry personally? You might not agree if you've spent time with him over the years....
there are other things over the years that people just don't forget


No...but there are a lot of coaches i dont kno personally that i would still consider to be a good coach just based on their record. He's had a lot of talent on his team, but you always need someone to be there steering the talent. And booing is never acceptable...if you dont like a coach..fine...but to boo an athlete because they won a state championship...isnt right.
Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships.

-Michael Jordan
User avatar
adriana
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 146
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:28 am
Location: USA

Re: Best Coaches

Postby dylan32 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:58 am

kris summers from devils lake he just started this year but i went to watch one of their practices and he looked like he new wat he was doin. there first match is this weekend
dylan32
 

Re:

Postby shorty141 » Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:06 pm

bigballer71 wrote:
bballfan_05 wrote:I can't believe anyone hasn't said this, what about McCleary from Napoleon. Pretty impressive what they have accomplished the last few years.
I, Disagree I have watched a lot of wrestling in the past years and went to many of the state tournaments.  I will say that Coach McCleary has had a lot of great wrestlers come out of his program. The reason I say he isn't the best coach is because I have also saw him throw stuff and get very over worked on some things on the mat. I feel as if the other coach recognize it also and that is why he has failed to get coach of the year.
shorty141
 

Re: Best Coaches

Postby shorty141 » Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:12 pm

Coach McCleary is a good coach, he does have good wrestlers coming out of his program. But it isn't acceptable to have a coach throwing things...or yellling the way he does during a match. Sometimes it gets out of hand and it's not teaching his wrestlers positive attitudes. I think Mark McLean of Hillsboro is an amazing coach. He isn't noticed much since Ptacek has been around but from what I've seen he handles things very well, and has a good relationship with his team, and they all respect him.
shorty141
 

Re: Best Coaches

Postby wrestlingbacker » Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:11 pm

Somebody please tell me when McCleary was throwing things or yelling completely out of hand? I can't say that I have ever seen him throw things. Also, I don't believe he is the only one who "yells" during matches. Look around and you will notice a lot of coaches who are much worse but don't have the "rep" that McCleary has. I also have to give props to Coach McCleary. He has practically rewritten the class B record books. If you look in the Dakota Grappler preview, you will notice this if you look at Napoleon's page.
wrestlingbacker
 

Re: Best Coaches

Postby adriana » Sat Dec 01, 2007 4:48 pm

shorty141 wrote:Coach McCleary is a good coach, he does have good wrestlers coming out of his program. But it isn't acceptable to have a coach throwing things...or yellling the way he does during a match. Sometimes it gets out of hand and it's not teaching his wrestlers positive attitudes. I think Mark McLean of Hillsboro is an amazing coach. He isn't noticed much since Ptacek has been around but from what I've seen he handles things very well, and has a good relationship with his team, and they all respect him.



All coaches are going to yell...throwing things, maybe not so much, but the his attidude apparently isnt affecting the way his team wrestles.
Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships.

-Michael Jordan
User avatar
adriana
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 146
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:28 am
Location: USA

Re: Best Coaches

Postby ndsportsfan14 » Sat Dec 01, 2007 7:03 pm

What about Coach Pazdernik from Carrington
User avatar
ndsportsfan14
NDPreps All-State
 
Posts: 935
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:08 pm
Location: Some Place In Region 4

Re: Best Coaches

Postby dtvman » Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:25 am

Ron Gadberry built the Hillsboro program into what it is today. I think both coach McLean and Ptacek would agree with that. They have done a great job and will continue to make the program more successful, but it would not be where it is at today without Coach Gadberry.
dtvman
 

Re: Best Coaches

Postby E@stern Executioner » Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:43 am

dtvman wrote:Ron Gadberry built the Hillsboro program into what it is today. I think both coach McLean and Ptacek would agree with that. They have done a great job and will continue to make the program more successful, but it would not be where it is at today without Coach Gadberry.


Ummmm...I'm going to very respectfully disagree. Gadberry was an exceptional coach and did build a very solid program is Hillsboro. Problem is that none of these kids had much of anything to do with him coming up through the levels. McLean brought them through the elementary program and both him and Ptacek worked with them on the JV and Varsity levels. They do the recruiting, weight training, technique...everything that made THESE kids what they are today. Again, no disrespect whatsoever to Coach Gadberry...he was a great ambassador to wrestling when he coached and still is today.
Don't lose your dinosaur.
E@stern Executioner
NDPreps All-Conference
 
Posts: 217
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:24 pm

Re: Best Coaches

Postby shorty141 » Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:51 am

Im going to have to disagree with you on this. What do you mean none of his wrestlers had much to do with him? I know quite a few who did. A lot of them may have taken his talents of coaching for granted, but there are a lot of respectful wrestlers who made it known, and still do today. McLean built them up in elementary yes, but he's also done a lot for the high school wrestlers as well. Hillsboro is doing very well, they did get first in their tournament this weekend. Usually they get beat by Barnesville, so obviously they're doing a good job.

As far as the McCleary yelling and things. I'm not saying he's the only coach that does that. I know the coach from Cavalier gets out of hand. I'm not saying yelling is bad either, most if not every coach does that. And I'm not saying it's affecting his wrestlers in a bad way. But it isn't showing them anything positive either. I'm not saying they're going to act unsportsmans like just because of their coach. But it just isn't showing them how to take winning/losing in a positive way.
shorty141
 

Re: Best Coaches

Postby E@stern Executioner » Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:24 pm

shorty141 wrote:Im going to have to disagree with you on this. What do you mean none of his wrestlers had much to do with him? I know quite a few who did. A lot of them may have taken his talents of coaching for granted, but there are a lot of respectful wrestlers who made it known, and still do today. McLean built them up in elementary yes, but he's also done a lot for the high school wrestlers as well. Hillsboro is doing very well, they did get first in their tournament this weekend. Usually they get beat by Barnesville, so obviously they're doing a good job.


You need to reread my post. This current team with these current kids had very little (if any) to do with Ron Gadberry. Who was the Elementary coach for Andrew Grothman, Jake McLean, Anthony Von Ruden and all the other quality kids on that team? Who was the Junior High coach? JV? Varsity?

Again, Ron Gadberry was an incredible coach and is still a great supporter of wrestling. This is not meant to discredit him in ANY way. Let's give credit where credit is due, though. Eric Ptacek and Mark McLean built THIS team.

If you still disagree, answer me this...when will it be "THEIR" team? Next year? Five years? When?
Don't lose your dinosaur.
E@stern Executioner
NDPreps All-Conference
 
Posts: 217
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:24 pm

Re: Best Coaches

Postby adriana » Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:17 pm

shorty141 wrote:As far as the McCleary yelling and things. I'm not saying he's the only coach that does that. I know the coach from Cavalier gets out of hand. I'm not saying yelling is bad either, most if not every coach does that. And I'm not saying it's affecting his wrestlers in a bad way. But it isn't showing them anything positive either. I'm not saying they're going to act unsportsmans like just because of their coach. But it just isn't showing them how to take winning/losing in a positive way.


Sounds like you're not sayin much....
Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships.

-Michael Jordan
User avatar
adriana
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 146
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:28 am
Location: USA

Re: Best Coaches

Postby dtvman » Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:11 am

I'm not trying to take any credit away from Mark and Eric. This is their program and I give them every bit of credit for it. My point is that like so many other successful programs in all sports there is a tradition. It is much easier to have success if there is success already in place. Coach Gadberry took a fairly new program that wasn't even on the radar in the state and turned it into a program that is one of the top in the state, and he did it in a school that was absolutely basketball crazy. That was the point I was trying to make.
dtvman
 

Re: Best Coaches

Postby E@stern Executioner » Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:32 am

dtvman wrote:My point is that like so many other successful programs in all sports there is a tradition.


This, I will definitely agree with.

RG did a very good job of building a tradition in Hillsboro.
Don't lose your dinosaur.
E@stern Executioner
NDPreps All-Conference
 
Posts: 217
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:24 pm

Re: Best Coaches

Postby shorty141 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:55 pm

adriana wrote:
shorty141 wrote:As far as the McCleary yelling and things. I'm not saying he's the only coach that does that. I know the coach from Cavalier gets out of hand. I'm not saying yelling is bad either, most if not every coach does that. And I'm not saying it's affecting his wrestlers in a bad way. But it isn't showing them anything positive either. I'm not saying they're going to act unsportsmans like just because of their coach. But it just isn't showing them how to take winning/losing in a positive way.


Sounds like you're not sayin much....


and apparently you don't know much since you never have an educated reply
shorty141
 

Re: Best Coaches

Postby adriana » Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:19 pm

shorty141 wrote:
adriana wrote:
shorty141 wrote:As far as the McCleary yelling and things. I'm not saying he's the only coach that does that. I know the coach from Cavalier gets out of hand. I'm not saying yelling is bad either, most if not every coach does that. And I'm not saying it's affecting his wrestlers in a bad way. But it isn't showing them anything positive either. I'm not saying they're going to act unsportsmans like just because of their coach. But it just isn't showing them how to take winning/losing in a positive way.


Sounds like you're not sayin much....


and apparently you don't know much since you never have an educated reply



I've replied to you...twice? And congratulations on joining me with my non educated replies...
Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships.

-Michael Jordan
User avatar
adriana
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 146
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:28 am
Location: USA

Re: Best Coaches

Postby NDSportsFan » Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:49 pm

It's nice when there is a topic about "Best Coaches" and people can offer their opinions on who they think are the best coaches. Unfortunately it usually turns into a "why I don't like your choice" topic instead. Please respect other opinions on who they think is the best, it will make for much more enjoyable reading.

Thanks
User avatar
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 2116
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2005 7:35 am
Location: Fargo

Re: Best Coaches

Postby champs0607 » Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:10 pm

wrestlingbacker wrote:Somebody please tell me when McCleary was throwing things or yelling completely out of hand? I can't say that I have ever seen him throw things. Also, I don't believe he is the only one who "yells" during matches. Look around and you will notice a lot of coaches who are much worse but don't have the "rep" that McCleary has. I also have to give props to Coach McCleary. He has practically rewritten the class B record books. If you look in the Dakota Grappler preview, you will notice this if you look at Napoleon's page.


ya well he did whine the entire tournament this season and did get warned in the 160 match when ford got robbed of his 2nd state title
"Don't give up....don't ever give up." Jimmy Valvano
champs0607
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 118
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:21 am
Location: North Dakota USA

Re: Best Coaches

Postby ndfootballwrestling » Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:47 am

ya well he did whine the entire tournament this season and did get warned in the 160 match when ford got robbed of his 2nd state title[/quote]
I would definately have to disagree with "robbed." He didnt go and outwork him he did his typical stall, stall, stall, and then attempt shot. He didn't want it bad enough. What I feel bad about is the Napolean kid getting screwed by winning like he did. Nobody wants a win like that..
Mitch did have a good attitude after the decision, and congrats to him for that.. Yet all he needed to do was work a little harder during practice or go to practice with the attitude that " you know this is my last year to wrestle high school, I'm going to give it my best." Thats when win or lose you know you did everything you could have, yet the chips didnt fall my way.
Keep in mind I watched Mitcg wrestle quite a few matches this past year and wasn't impressed, 2006 yeah very impressive.
ndfootballwrestling
 

Re: Best Coaches

Postby bballdude101 » Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:39 pm

mcleary from napolean, doesnt have a good program for nothing
randy burwick from hettinger great coach
bballdude101
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 80
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:30 pm

Re: Best Coaches

Postby FOOTBALL_101 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:14 am

Jeff Urlaub Cavalier!!!!! Nuff Said
FOOTBALL_101
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 67
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:26 am

Re: Best Coaches

Postby EHS1998 » Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:49 am

E@stern Executioner wrote:
shorty141 wrote:Im going to have to disagree with you on this. What do you mean none of his wrestlers had much to do with him? I know quite a few who did. A lot of them may have taken his talents of coaching for granted, but there are a lot of respectful wrestlers who made it known, and still do today. McLean built them up in elementary yes, but he's also done a lot for the high school wrestlers as well. Hillsboro is doing very well, they did get first in their tournament this weekend. Usually they get beat by Barnesville, so obviously they're doing a good job.


You need to reread my post. This current team with these current kids had very little (if any) to do with Ron Gadberry. Who was the Elementary coach for Andrew Grothman, Jake McLean, Anthony Von Ruden and all the other quality kids on that team? Who was the Junior High coach? JV? Varsity?

Again, Ron Gadberry was an incredible coach and is still a great supporter of wrestling. This is not meant to discredit him in ANY way. Let's give credit where credit is due, though. Eric Ptacek and Mark McLean built THIS team.

If you still disagree, answer me this...when will it be "THEIR" team? Next year? Five years? When?


Not sure what his official capacity is in terms of the wrestling team, but I am pretty sure a guy that has contributed greatly to Hillsboro behind the scenes is Kirk Zink, a former standout from Carrington HS and Valley City State. I could very well be wrong but I am almost positive he has had a great influence in developing many of their wrestlers. I do agree that both McLean and Ptacek are as good as they get in ND. Not trying to diminish their contributions whatsoever. They key to a great coach is getting the best possible people in the room with their kids.
We plan and God laughs.
EHS1998
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 2146
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:07 pm

Re: Best Coaches

Postby E@stern Executioner » Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:35 am

EHS1998 wrote:
E@stern Executioner wrote:
shorty141 wrote:Im going to have to disagree with you on this. What do you mean none of his wrestlers had much to do with him? I know quite a few who did. A lot of them may have taken his talents of coaching for granted, but there are a lot of respectful wrestlers who made it known, and still do today. McLean built them up in elementary yes, but he's also done a lot for the high school wrestlers as well. Hillsboro is doing very well, they did get first in their tournament this weekend. Usually they get beat by Barnesville, so obviously they're doing a good job.


You need to reread my post. This current team with these current kids had very little (if any) to do with Ron Gadberry. Who was the Elementary coach for Andrew Grothman, Jake McLean, Anthony Von Ruden and all the other quality kids on that team? Who was the Junior High coach? JV? Varsity?

Again, Ron Gadberry was an incredible coach and is still a great supporter of wrestling. This is not meant to discredit him in ANY way. Let's give credit where credit is due, though. Eric Ptacek and Mark McLean built THIS team.

If you still disagree, answer me this...when will it be "THEIR" team? Next year? Five years? When?


Not sure what his official capacity is in terms of the wrestling team, but I am pretty sure a guy that has contributed greatly to Hillsboro behind the scenes is Kirk Zink, a former standout from Carrington HS and Valley City State. I could very well be wrong but I am almost positive he has had a great influence in developing many of their wrestlers. I do agree that both McLean and Ptacek are as good as they get in ND. Not trying to diminish their contributions whatsoever. They key to a great coach is getting the best possible people in the room with their kids.


I can't believe that I didn't see this earlier. Kirk is not really much more than a "practice dummy" (as he calls himself) for Andrew Grothmann and a couple of the bigger guys. Work doesn't permit him to get into the room as much as he would like.
Don't lose your dinosaur.
E@stern Executioner
NDPreps All-Conference
 
Posts: 217
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:24 pm

Re: Best Coaches

Postby bigpoppakdog » Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:31 pm

wrestlingbacker wrote:Somebody please tell me when McCleary was throwing things or yelling completely out of hand? I can't say that I have ever seen him throw things. Also, I don't believe he is the only one who "yells" during matches. Look around and you will notice a lot of coaches who are much worse but don't have the "rep" that McCleary has. I also have to give props to Coach McCleary. He has practically rewritten the class B record books. If you look in the Dakota Grappler preview, you will notice this if you look at Napoleon's page.



He was ejected from a tournament a few years ago. Still has to be a top coach. Top athletes often have a moment of emotion that pushes them over the edge, coaches do to.
bigpoppakdog
 

Re: Best Coaches

Postby Talk Is Cheap » Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:37 pm

Best coaches would be Mr. Scott Knowlen and Mr. Jeff Schumacher hands down, lets be honest BHS has the record to prove it.
Respect & Honesty
Talk Is Cheap
NDPreps Reserve
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:57 am

PreviousNext

Return to Wrestling

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest