Best Coaches

Postby Takedown » Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:33 pm

Who are some of the best coaches in class B wreslting?

Respect must be earned but honor must be proven.
Takedown
NDPreps Reserve

Postby 83football » Mon Sep 11, 2006 2:17 pm

Cory Schall  from Oakes.
83football
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Takedown » Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:25 pm

What about Burwick from Hettinger hes had some good teams over the years.
Respect must be earned but honor must be proven.
Takedown
NDPreps Reserve

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:07 pm

Bruce Moe from Grand Forks Red River, won Coach of the year last year.  Has solid teams every year.
That's a lovely fur you're wearing. Perhaps I could find you some slippers made from the skins of innocent and defenseless baby seals!
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ndfootballwrestling » Sun Oct 08, 2006 1:48 pm

Ill agree with Bruce Moe he does a great job, Ill also say BHS coach does a excellent job too.
ndfootballwrestling

Postby NationalChamp21 » Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:27 pm

we really cant say whos is the best coach cause all of the coach have good wrestlers that wrestle for them and most of them tend to not stick out as much as others.
Leave everything on the mat
NationalChamp21
NDPreps Reserve

Postby inittowinit » Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:58 pm

burwick is a great coach for class B, and would be a great coach in class A too. jeff shumacher and scott knowlen are great coaches for class A, plus they do a great job with helping out with nationals.
inittowinit

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:43 am

mitch greenwood at mpcg does a good job.  they've only had a wrestling program for a short period of time and dont get many athletes to go out with the basketball program being so established.  he's head coach rygg's assistant and really takes well to the players and gets them prepared well.  I'm not saying right now he's one of the best coaches right now but he'll be a good asset for any wrestling program to have as a coach as he gains more experience.
Last edited by north_border_eagles2106 on Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
That's a lovely fur you're wearing. Perhaps I could find you some slippers made from the skins of innocent and defenseless baby seals!
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby The Schwab » Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:45 am

north_border_eagles2106 wrote:mitch greenwood at mpcg does a good job.  they've only had a wrestling program for 2 or 3 years now and he's head coach rygg's assistant and really takes well to the players and gets them prepared well.  I'm not saying right now he's one of the best coaches right now but he'll be a good asset for any wrestling program to have as a coach as he gains more experience.
I agree
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby Baller » Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:15 am

what about thingstad from Velva?? usually has a pretty strong team.
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby bballfan_05 » Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:07 pm

I can't believe anyone hasn't said this, what about McCleary from Napoleon. Pretty impressive what they have accomplished the last few years.
bballfan_05
NDPreps All-State

Postby bcourtbraves » Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:16 pm

Dixon from Belcourt does very good with whatever numbers he gets each year.
Believe Big
bcourtbraves
NDPreps Starter

Postby Wombat » Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:00 pm

north_border_eagles2106 wrote:mitch greenwood at mpcg does a good job.  they've only had a wrestling program for a short period of time and dont get many athletes to go out with the basketball program being so established.  he's head coach rygg's assistant and really takes well to the players and gets them prepared well.  I'm not saying right now he's one of the best coaches right now but he'll be a good asset for any wrestling program to have as a coach as he gains more experience.

Thank you for the accolades. MPCG has however had a program for quite some time. They had a few state champions in either the late 70's or early 80's. Coach Rygg himself wrestled here and was a runner-up at state.

I love wrestling and I love coaching the sport. I have a heck of a lot to learn though before I should be mentioned with some of these other names who certainly are great coaches throughout the state. Hopefully one day I will be able to accomplish some of the things that these coaches have and become the best coach that I can be.
Mitch Greenwood

Some people say I don't have a life. They are wrong. Sports are my life!!!
Wombat
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ahhhh » Fri May 04, 2007 5:35 pm

Bishop Ryan coach
ahhhh

Postby basketball4u » Mon May 07, 2007 4:20 pm

yeah the bishop ryan coach's are pretty amazing
Bishop Ryan Boys Basketball Team*clap*
basketball4u
NDPreps Reserve

Postby fbinnd » Tue May 08, 2007 7:44 am

Dangerud in West Fargo.  Was a Hettinger wrestler.  Saw their team do some pretty good stuff.  Modern techniques. 
fbinnd

Postby classb_fan00 » Wed May 09, 2007 7:43 am

bballfan_05 wrote:I can't believe anyone hasn't said this, what about McCleary from Napoleon. Pretty impressive what they have accomplished the last few years.

i agree, he does a great job. Also, mitch greenwood from mpcg does an excellent job.
I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me.
Larry Bird
classb_fan00
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby always a sports season » Wed May 09, 2007 12:11 pm

Joe Kern in Lisbon revived their program which was almost dead 5 years ago.
always a sports season

Postby bigballer71 » Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:29 pm

bballfan_05 wrote:I can't believe anyone hasn't said this, what about McCleary from Napoleon. Pretty impressive what they have accomplished the last few years.
I, Disagree I have watched a lot of wrestling in the past years and went to many of the state tournaments.  I will say that Coach McCleary has had a lot of great wrestlers come out of his program. The reason I say he isn't the best coach is because I have also saw him throw stuff and get very over worked on some things on the mat. I feel as if the other coach recognize it also and that is why he has failed to get coach of the year.
bigballer71

Re: Best Coaches

Postby wrestlingbacker » Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:03 pm

McCleary's days of getting crazy are behind him. He does have a lot of talent coming out of Napoleon too, but a lot of towns have a lot of potential talent that just doesn't rise to the level of Napoleon. It takes a heck of a coach to have a run of 6 in a row and possibly 7 after this year. It's not as easy as you make it sound. To keep a team motivated throughout this stretch is very difficult. When Napoleon won state in 2005 (maybe 2004), Carrington had 9 seniors on their team with a lot of talent. Napoleon had a team with 2 or 3 seniors and a ton of underclassmen who came through for them. That takes a good coach and a good group of dedicated athletes to accomplish. If you ask any of the wrestlers that come out of his system, they will tell you that he has made them who they are. A lot of the kids that he gets to place in the state should have never even stood a chance, but he conditioned them into a mode that made them believe they could do it and gave them the potential to do it. I also don't believe your reasoning for him not receiving COTY is very good logic. How do you explain Schumacher and Knowlen never getting COTY in Class A? Just some food for thought....
wrestlingbacker

Postby bigballer71 » Sat Oct 27, 2007 12:15 am

well unless he changed over the year i haven't saw him not have a lil tantrum but i will agree with you on saying he gets down to business and he has made a dang good wrestling program for the size of the town and the #'s he has to choose from. but when his son took the state tourney the MOST of the fargodome was booing him and his son. I just don't understand that. Why people dislike him or his program?
bigballer71

Postby upnext » Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:05 pm

Its called jealousy---no one wants to see the same team win it every year---its the same in every sport--BHS wrestling is the same love em or hate em---there's no in between--ITS JEALOUSY
upnext
NDPreps Starter

Postby champs0607 » Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:36 pm

Jeff urlaub-cavalier. the guy w/ the mad mustache
"Don't give up....don't ever give up." Jimmy Valvano
champs0607
NDPreps Starter

Postby adriana » Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:32 pm

upnext wrote:Its called jealousy---no one wants to see the same team win it every year---its the same in every sport--BHS wrestling is the same love em or hate em---there's no in between--ITS JEALOUSY

For once i agree with you!...jealousy is the main thing here...same reason so many people wanted to see Napoleon's football team lose the championship this year. I also think all coaches have their moments when something isnt going their way and they get a little PO'd...i guess i dont think it's that big of a deal considering the champions that have come out of his program. His temper or whatever must not be taking a negative toll on the imperials. As for the booing...that's not classy no matter what the reason. That's actually pretty pathetic and insanely unsportsmanlike.
Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships.

-Michael Jordan
adriana
NDPreps Starter

Postby luvmy3gbb1wr » Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:25 am

adriana wrote:
upnext wrote:Its called jealousy---no one wants to see the same team win it every year---its the same in every sport--BHS wrestling is the same love em or hate em---there's no in between--ITS JEALOUSY

For once i agree with you!...jealousy is the main thing here...same reason so many people wanted to see Napoleon's football team lose the championship this year. I also think all coaches have their moments when something isnt going their way and they get a little PO'd...i guess i dont think it's that big of a deal considering the champions that have come out of his program. His temper or whatever must not be taking a negative toll on the imperials. As for the booing...that's not classy no matter what the reason. That's actually pretty pathetic and insanely unsportsmanlike.

Do you guys know Barry personally? You might not agree if you've spent time with him over the years....
there are other things over the years that people just don't forget
luvmy3gbb1wr
NDPreps All-Conference

Next

Return to Wrestling